Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
We have a central vacuum and it is goddamn amazing. I never want a house without one again, and we have two pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We have a central vacuum cleaner and it's great. We've emptied it a few times, you just unhook some latched and empty out the bin. No bags to worry about. I'd just want another outlet to plug it into. It's also great if you got these ducts on the floor that you kick open with your foot and sweep dirt into.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Central vacuum is not a UK thing at all, it sounds mystical to me. How does it work? Do you have just a hose part that you carry around and hook up to ports?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah, or in our case, we only have one port centrally placed, and one long 10-12 meter hose that reaches everywhere, except into the sauna, and sometimes I'd like to vacuum outside the door on the deck so I'd like another port.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Doesn't that defeat the "central" part of it? How's that better than having a very long hose on a normal vacuum cleaner?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'll just add another port if I want one, but our house isn't that big so we basically only needed one. Bigger houses and houses with more than one floor have multiple ports

Pros:
-Much stronger vacuum motor
-Runs quieter
-No vacuum to pick out and haul around
-Air is ejected outside so no returned dust that passes through the filter
-No vacuum filters or bags, our model has a cloth self-cleaning filter that filters outgoing air, but it goes outside anyway...
-Can have dust sweep ports near the floor to sweep dust into, we have one.

We much prefer it to the old fashioned vacuum cleaner.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We don't even have central heating lol. Dyson-chan takes care of everything our normal vacuum can't reach.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's clever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Real Talk: this would revolutionize housework for me. I'm a clumsy oaf, so 50% of the time I miss the trash can trying to dump stuff out of the upright dustpan and have to sweep again.

It's me, the person from an infomercial re-enactment incident.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A $200 Eufy robot vacuum has changed my life.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I'll just add another port if I want one, but our house isn't that big so we basically only needed one. Bigger houses and houses with more than one floor have multiple ports

Pros:
-Runs quieter
-No vacuum filters or bags, our model has a cloth self-cleaning filter that filters outgoing air, but it goes outside anyway...

My dad installed several ports in our house to make it easier to use. Everything you mentioned is why I love them and it is my lottery-dream to own one myself. It was a life changer as someone with asthma. Our house went from a pet dander nightmare scenario to dust free. We had to empty the can several times right after installing it, it was insane. The sweeper isn't something I had heard of, clever, but we just sucked everything through the hose always.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Pros:
-Runs quieter

Thing I just considered: Could I use this as an excuse to buy myself a really nice dust extraction system for my workshop, then just tie it into a few ports upstairs?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Our house came with....3/4ths of a central vac system, it screams "we installed it ourselves and ran out of money."

Hose plugs? 2. One upstairs, one downstairs. It's enough to do the whole house with the long hose, but awkward.
External vent? Yes.
Relays and switch gear? Yes.
Pipes and fittings? Yes.
Actual vacuum? no.

Instead, they wired a plug that gets power when the hose is connected, and stuck a shop vac into the system. So, I really have a whole house shop vac. It works...mostly.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You can buy just the vacuum on Amazon for between 400 and 800 dollars or so.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It's way better if you put googly eyes on it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The house we bought a couple of years ago has an old wooden fence, and the fence has been starting to sag a bit. The posts look like they're just 4x4s, no idea if they're sunken into concrete or gravel or anything; the whole thing looks like it was quickly assembled out of really basic materials, no frills. Is there any issue with just buying some new pressure-treated 4x4s, painting them, and then 1 at a time digging the old posts out and putting the new posts in the same holes?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The house we bought a couple of years ago has an old wooden fence, and the fence has been starting to sag a bit. The posts look like they're just 4x4s, no idea if they're sunken into concrete or gravel or anything; the whole thing looks like it was quickly assembled out of really basic materials, no frills. Is there any issue with just buying some new pressure-treated 4x4s, painting them, and then 1 at a time digging the old posts out and putting the new posts in the same holes?

We've done that on a few posts and it's pretty easy. You might run a string line across the tops of the nearest posts to make sure the new one is plumb with the surrounding posts. Also consider mixing up a bag of concrete and poring it under and around the post to reduce rot and sag in the future.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Real talk, how well do robot vacuums work these days? I would prefer not to spend $Roomba if there are cheaper alternatives.

We have hardwoods throughout the house and cat/dog hair just collects like crazy, I'm constantly swiffering/vacuuming.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Real talk, how well do robot vacuums work these days? I would prefer not to spend $Roomba if there are cheaper alternatives.

We have hardwoods throughout the house and cat/dog hair just collects like crazy, I'm constantly swiffering/vacuuming.

The Eufy one by Anker is awesome. It's cut down dog hair dramatically. You have to empty it daily but it's great, you'll find quickly what it'll get caught up on - mostly cords on the ground. Significantly cheaper too.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you read the horror stories about Roombas thoroughly spreading pet accidents over the entire house?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The picture of the poo poo flourish left by a Roomba kills me. Its perfect robot defiance.

EDIT: Found it.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 4, 2017

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

I've had a roomba 650 for 2 years now and it's great, does everything I need-- I think it's under $300 now. I have two cats and a small human and it does a great job. It collects enough that I need to clean out the front wheel and brushes each time, so I have it scheduled just two days a week.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leviathan Song posted:

We've done that on a few posts and it's pretty easy. You might run a string line across the tops of the nearest posts to make sure the new one is plumb with the surrounding posts. Also consider mixing up a bag of concrete and poring it under and around the post to reduce rot and sag in the future.

I've heard concrete is good, but I've also heard people recommend gravel mixed with dirt as an alternative; that's apparently how ranches deal with their fence posts because digging a plug of concrete out of the ground is a PITA.

I'm a bit hopeful that these posts weren't set in concrete, since it'd be easier to pull them out

Son_Telahari
Feb 2, 2016

I have a really cheap model (can't remember the name atm) and it does a decent enough job, but I would recommend getting one with at least some degree of intelligence as mine has a tendency to vacuum small areas several times and leave to charge before everything is done.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm closing on a house in a couple weeks and it still has the original 1910 windows, so I'm thinking the first project should be some storm windows to help insulate these:

I found something called Indow windows which are press-fit storm windows and they are made of 1/4 acrylic instead of thin storm window film, so they block noise better. Problem is they're about $30/sqft which sounds hilariously expensive for acrylic sheet with a plastic gasket going around it:

https://indowwindows.com/portfolio/inside-storm-windows/

I'm thinking I could just cut an acrylic sheet, make a wooden frame that matches the look of the wood that's already there, cut a channel on the outside of the frame and run weather stripping around the whole thing. That way I could push it into the window area and the weather stripping would seal it in place.

The only thing I'm not up to snuff on is the window framing. Anyone know of any specific wooden framing I could get from Home Depot or Lowes that I could slot the acrylic in to? I want to keep it simple because I know how to miter wood framing at 45-degree angles but that's about the extent of my woodworking skills.

Or if anyone knows a better approach, I'd love to hear it. I did see a similar thing online which simply uses brown-colored magnetic strips to hold an unframed sheet of acrylic in place, but I dunno if that'll look better or worse: https://www.windowsaver.com/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Around here, they usually just install a whole new internal window and frame around the original window. Awkard excess width can he hidden by curtains.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's been a year since we moved in and I'm finally getting around to adding shelves and racks in necessary places. We got a little greedy about the under-stairs space and have these massive caverns to fill in the shower-sink-washing machine zone.

Edit: cross-posted this to Interior Design thread for visibility and confidence-crushing ridicule

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 7, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There needs to be space for bath towels, hand towels, our pajamas and clothes we reuse for a few days, extra detergent, etc... and I want to make a lower hanger pole so my daughter(s) can reach her own stuff.
When I first met I husband I lolled at keeping underwear and socks in the bathroom but now I realize it's The Best and I never want to go back to dashing upstairs for underwear again.

The last thing to consider is that my husband is a tall and hopeless manbaby so he'll only use his designated shelves effectively if they're at chest height.
Please show me some good bathroom/laundry room/mudroom organization.

Everything shows rolled towels and that looks pretty cute but is it sustainable and convenient?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suddenly I realized I had a mental block against putting a shelf right next to the washer, because I was so focused on the under-stairs space. Now I just gotta build 3 shelves on little wheels to replace those plastic drawers. Thanks for witnessing my sperg.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I really want one of these cause I have hardwood floors that need regular but light dusting/sweeping and I'm wayyyyy too lazy to do it every day.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
We went to Europe for our honeymoon and I fell in LOVE with the idea of a house with an Italian style central courtyard (big square garden with trees and/or patio seating and the house on 3 or 4 sides surrounding the courtyard). I started looking for plans and examples of single family homes on the smaller side (2k feet or under) that use a central outdoor courtyard but its been oddly hard to find real examples. Most of the ones I have come across are really more of a small planted area under a skylight or are part of a super modern mega home.

Since we live in CA, such a home seems possibly even practical as the courtyard could be used for the majority of the year. Is this just a terrible idea? We are looking to be in a home (currently in an apartment) in the next 2-4 years and I really like the idea.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
In America I think it's the setbacks that get you. The ones Ive seen in Sicily at least were built right against one another whereas in America single family requires a side yard setback of 5 feet minimum so the average 40 foot wide lot has a 30x40 foot deep building envelope which doesn't work well. And of course zero lot line areas are going to be built up with dense apartments. If it was on a big lot in the suburbs it would make lots of sense though. I personally love that design, historically Beijing had a similar style.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Courtyard 1 (2 story house)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Courtyard 2 (2bd ranch)

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 10, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Courtyard with slotted wall

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Since you're in California, look for Eichler houses. A lot of them have central outdoor spaces that are enclosed by the rest of the house. Many have been converted since then into all-indoors by adding a skylight, but there are still plenty around.

E: I grew up in a housing development in CA that was all Eichlers. Some of the courtyards were really lovely (fish pond, plants, sandbox for kids) and some ended up being basically an indoor garden shed with bikes and junk. My parents' house had had a skylight put in instead before they moved there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There was a well-known brand of scandinavian/nordic prefab house where one of their designs had a good courtyard but it was more in the English style.

Does anyone remember the name? They were pretty much the only people doing it maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Comedy (?) option, get together with 3 other homeowners and make a shared yard.

Would obviously require that everyone gets along, and risk massive trouble when selling the home.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This might not be the right place to post this, but it's the most appropriate I can think of.

Recently (i.e. in the past week or so) I've had issues with flies in my apartment. I see 5-6 of them a day, and there's always more when I kill them. The trash is covered and taken out regularly, the drain is clean, the litterbox is emptied daily, and my windows and everything are closed and shuttered. I'm gonna be setting out some flypaper hoping to trap them, but I still need to figure out where they're all coming from. Anybody got tips for getting rid of flies?

Possibly related: my cat's been staring at an alcove next to my oven for a while now. I've had mice in the apartment before (it's a complete loving shithole with a useless landlord) and I wonder if he maimed one, it ran away behind the oven, and subsequently died and then flies laid eggs in it. Ew. There's a whole bunch of exposed piping/walls and nooks and crannies in the apartment (because shithole etc) so I'm wondering if this is all related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It is. You need to seal up that stuff and look under, behind, and around everything. If a rat died it would stink so that is likely not it unless you literally have no sense of smell. Could be something much smaller though. Anywhere opening into a wall cavity is where bugs can get in.