Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
We're in HCMC, and neither of us is Vietnamese nor fluent. Luckily I'm a 230lb white guy with a red, eight inch beard so everyone already has comically low expectations of my Vietnamese at first sight. It works to your advantage when everyone you see grins, mimes stroking a beard and shouts "Hallo!" and makes the subsequent akwardness due to lack of communication a lot easier to bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Shnicker posted:

Some more advice solicitation... I'm going to be doing my CELTA in Bangkok in September. Any recommendations for a long-ish term place to stay near the Sala Daeng BTS station? After being in Singapore I kinda forgot what Thai prices are like. Maybe 15-20k baht for a month sounds reasonable? It would be nice if it had a pool and a gym too, but I've been spoiled.

And hopefully I'll FINALLY be able to meet some Bangkok goons there.

Singapore goons out own Bangkok goons day in, day out, sorry friend

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What a great thing to be proud of, heh. Our language is impossible and no one speaks it! Take that!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ReindeerF posted:

What a great thing to be proud of, heh. Our language is impossible and no one speaks it! Take that!

I think a bunch of asian countries are of the same opinion wrt their languages

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ladron posted:

Literally all asian countries are of the same opinion wrt their languages

Ftfy

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Shnicker posted:

Some more advice solicitation... I'm going to be doing my CELTA in Bangkok in September. Any recommendations for a long-ish term place to stay near the Sala Daeng BTS station? After being in Singapore I kinda forgot what Thai prices are like. Maybe 15-20k baht for a month sounds reasonable? It would be nice if it had a pool and a gym too, but I've been spoiled.

And hopefully I'll FINALLY be able to meet some Bangkok goons there.

Shnicker posted:

I guess I wouldn't mind going up to 20,000 baht for a month if the location was good, had a pool and gym, etc. It would be a lot easier if places would respond to my emails.

It's a lot to sort through, but you can give this site a try:
https://www.prakard.com/viewforum.php?f=993

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ladron posted:

I think a bunch of asian countries are of the same opinion wrt their languages
Quite literally had this in Cambodia this morning with a Khmer guy.

"You can speak Khmer?"

[little bit]

"Can you speak Thai?"

[some]

"Mmm. Khmer is much harder."

(note: Khmer is much easier coming from a non-tonal language because it doesn't really have tones)

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

kru posted:

Singapore goons out own Bangkok goons day in, day out, sorry friend

Haha, you're the only Singapore goon I've met, but you make a good case

Ganguro King posted:

It's a lot to sort through, but you can give this site a try:
https://www.prakard.com/viewforum.php?f=993

Thanks for that! I'll take my time looking through that. I appreciate the help.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Shnicker posted:

Haha, you're the only Singapore goon I've met, but you make a good case

Having drank whiskey with him in a dive in Taipei and gotten plastered on numerous occasions at shady places in Bangkok and once on my mom's deck with another Singapore goon, I can say they're pretty alright.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Singapore goons work harder because they need to make up for the lack of character that Singapore has :P

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
On that note I'm officially moving to Singapore on Sunday and need to get an apartment within two weeks. Trying to find someplace small on my own for under 2000, don't care if it's dirty or dangerous (relatively speaking, given Singapore) as long as the building isn't literally falling down.

Doable or am I hosed and need to roll the dice with roommates I won't know.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Depends where. It's absolutely doable - assume you will be working/studying. Give me a location, and I'll give you places to look at.

Also, is that total per month or just rental? (Utilities etc can be a pain here)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Quite literally had this in Cambodia this morning with a Khmer guy.

"You can speak Khmer?"

[little bit]

"Can you speak Thai?"

[some]

"Mmm. Khmer is much harder."

(note: Khmer is much easier coming from a non-tonal language because it doesn't really have tones)

Khmer got some wikked consonant clusters tho

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

kru posted:

Depends where. It's absolutely doable - assume you will be working/studying. Give me a location, and I'll give you places to look at.

Also, is that total per month or just rental? (Utilities etc can be a pain here)

Ah wasn't aware utilities are that bad; was assuming 2-300/month should more than cover it but could it be worse?

I'll be working near Tanjong Pagar so was actually considering Geylang area as I hear it's fairly cheap due to the bad rep, and one train to work. But in general I know nothing about the various districts so a bit lost. Doing some basic research and asking around but the people I know are mostly Singaporean and live with their parents, short timer expats who don't know so much anyway, or higher ups with a much bigger budget, so mostly people not too familiar with the specific level of housing I want.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Okay, so -

2-300 is about right, just making sure that's not going to gut you.

For 2k you are looking at a studio, out of town or geylang like you say. I wouldn't recommend the geylang approach, as most of those condos are tiny.

You might actually be better off around where I live (west coast way) there's a load of studio apartments up for grab at the 2k mark, near MRT and nice to live. It's not centre of town, but that's literally 7 mins / 6$ in a taxi so, who cares.

If you need help, I can set you up give you a hand etc.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Any Phnom Penh goons? Girlfriend and I are in town for 7 days, for a visa run. We'd be up for grabbing a beer and swapping expat stories.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Really been missing Vietnam lately. Everytime I have a bad day at work I always contemplate quitting my job to go teach English back In Ho Chi Minh. Someday.

Vietnam goons- go eat some bun bo for me

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I'm back in Bangkok for a job interview after a few days in Chiang Mai but I have come to the realization that I don't particularly want to teach English here. If you could work in any city in the region, where would you go? I'm working on getting some interviews in Vietnam (where the pay is much better) but I've never been there and I don't know what it's like - pretty touristy from what I've heard? The posts by the Cambodia goon make that sound pretty cool and I'd think I'd prefer going there or to Laos or Myanmar than getting a job here.

Any suggestions? Are there any dedicated job sites similar to ajarn.com for teaching positions in Laos/Myanmar/Cambodia?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

E Depois do Adeus posted:

I'm back in Bangkok for a job interview after a few days in Chiang Mai but I have come to the realization that I don't particularly want to teach English here. If you could work in any city in the region, where would you go? I'm working on getting some interviews in Vietnam (where the pay is much better) but I've never been there and I don't know what it's like - pretty touristy from what I've heard? The posts by the Cambodia goon make that sound pretty cool and I'd think I'd prefer going there or to Laos or Myanmar than getting a job here.

Any suggestions? Are there any dedicated job sites similar to ajarn.com for teaching positions in Laos/Myanmar/Cambodia?

It's not quite Southeast Asia, but Taiwan is the happy medium between a developed country and a chill atmosphere with cool people and lots of small towns off the beaten path if that's where you want to live or visit.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Gonna be in Singapore for a week in the beginning of October. Mostly going to be busy visiting my wife's family and going to her cousin's insanely fancy wedding, but will be doing some general purpose site seeing too.

I saw all the zoos and museums last time I was there (about a decade ago), but we're gonna be there with kids this time so if there's any good family friendly tourist traps to kill a day at let me know. I'm told we need to go to Singapore's famous Sentosa resort but then in the next breath they say they've never been there themselves cause it's really overpriced. :shrug:

We've also been warned that the popular spots are going to be crowded with mainland Chinese on vacation for National Day dunno if that's true?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bangkok is my favorite as its the most international and has the most going on by far. The money's an issue though, especially as far as I can gather it's still very hard to find a 50k+ job there and I had one maybe a decade ago now there when Bangkok was a fair bit cheaper. Living in a provincial wild wild East shantytown is great for about a week at a time but spending a whole year somewhere you might want to be able to get non-local food or talk to someone in English or whatever after a bit.

There have been a number of posters in this thread who have sang the praises of Vietnam but they never filled in the details for me really. They all liked to drink is all I can give you. The most common complaint is that the touts are aggressive and sometimes borderline out of control there. If you don't like the money in Thailand you're really not going to like most of what's around in Cambo, Laos or Myanmar.

Cambodia has (had?) that khmer440 forum. I don't know if they had job listings but the would know where they are.

Also consider Taiwan like Atlas said. It's first world as gently caress but it's a great place to live, the people are nice and have some genuine culture to them, the nightlife goes incredibly late and is good. All the Chinese art / culture left in the world is either there or in Hong Kong (not in the Mainland). It's also one of the few countries in the world where you can change a tourist visa to a working visa without leaving the country. The drawback as far as EFL goes is that a lot of the work is with very small children which I found very difficult and unrewarding, but if you look around enough there are adult jobs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh and if you do consider Taiwan, go get an FBI background check now. It will take longer to get than your visa is good for there so you need it on hand to accept a job now, assuming you're American. Apparently background checks are slightly faster from other countries?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Regarding the touts reputation in Vietnam, they are much much worse in Phnom Penh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Gonna be in Singapore for a week in the beginning of October. Mostly going to be busy visiting my wife's family and going to her cousin's insanely fancy wedding, but will be doing some general purpose site seeing too.

I saw all the zoos and museums last time I was there (about a decade ago), but we're gonna be there with kids this time so if there's any good family friendly tourist traps to kill a day at let me know. I'm told we need to go to Singapore's famous Sentosa resort but then in the next breath they say they've never been there themselves cause it's really overpriced. :shrug:

We've also been warned that the popular spots are going to be crowded with mainland Chinese on vacation for National Day dunno if that's true?
There's a nice aquarium at Sentosa in addition to the Universal Studios theme park. It's definitely family friendly stuff.

It'll be more crowded that week, but it doesn't seem like you have much of a choice. It'll be more crowded everywhere.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sentosa is hot garbage catering to sheltered mindless middle class.

If I do have wife and kids I rather take them to Wild Wild Wet or the night Safari.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I would skip Sentosa as well. Unless your kids are jaded with zoos I'd imagine they will enjoy Singapore Zoo? I know you said you've done it before, but it's still nice for your kids.

Gardens by the Bay is pretty cool, it's the area just behind the Marina Bay Sands resort and you can just wander around for free. They have a skywalk type thing though we skipped since the queue was pretty long.

If you're set on going to a theme park or something, you could pop across into Malaysia and visit Legoland? It's in Johor Bahru right across the border from Singapore, and I'd imagine it'll be cheaper and less crowded than Sentosa.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Vientiane now trying to figure out why flights are so expensive. I'm only a millionaire in kip.

Are these Vietnam visa on arrival pre approval services a scam?

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Surprisingly, theyre legit. Just fork over the money and bring a printed out piece of paper to the customs checkpoint when you land and your good to go.

The websites do look sketchy but the top google results should be safe.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Vientiane now trying to figure out why flights are so expensive. I'm only a millionaire in kip.

Are these Vietnam visa on arrival pre approval services a scam?

Vietnam dash visa dottttt com was easy peasy and legit. Bring paper copy of the letter that will likely have your name and a bunch of strangers' names on it, plus the proper amount of cash in USD (cookie left out that part but I know he knows) to the window at the airport and wait for them to call your name. Or something approximating your name.

Bonus points: if you're feeling like being semi legit while driving in the country, you can use your visa to get a Vietnamese drivers license too! Small investment up front saves big on the "license check" bribe ticket payments down the road!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Bonus points: if you're feeling like being semi legit while driving in the country, you can use your visa to get a Vietnamese drivers license too! Small investment up front saves big on the "license check" bribe ticket payments down the road!

Oh wow, I never heard of that. with just a visa (and I assume an existing non-international driver's licenser) you can get a Viet one?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

It's because no one flies to VTE, heh. I flew there once years ago on TG miles and the corresponding normal fare ticket - cheapest available - was 7,000 THB each way. I can fly to like Tokyo for that or something. I hear it's opened up a bit now, and for a while there was a dodgy carrier called Lao Central pitching $35 one-way flights on their fleet of SSJ100s, but I doubt it's changed too much. VTE is just such a nowhere backwater that it only matters because the French put the capital there. Otherwise, tourists go to Luang Prabang directly or just fly to Udon and bus it over or something. So, the only people flying are, guess who? Thai government officials and people like that - and they sign their tickets over to TG, who then gets reimbursed by the government and the circle of graft continues, heh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm about to go to Savannakhet in Laos to do my yearly visa, and if Vientiane is a backwater I don't even know what you'd call that place. It doesn't even have that slightly seedy feel that most border towns have, it's just boring as gently caress with absolutely nothing at all to do. Amazing pâté baguettes though, at least.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

VTE is just such a nowhere backwater that it only matters because the French put the capital there. Otherwise, tourists go to Luang Prabang directly or just fly to Udon and bus it over or something. So, the only people flying are, guess who? Thai government officials and people like that - and they sign their tickets over to TG, who then gets reimbursed by the government and the circle of graft continues, heh.

This explains it. I spent two nights in Nong Khai which seemed totally depopulated and there was more to do there than here.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Is that from the Thai Supermarket on Istedgade in Copenhagen, Denmark? Not that I'm trying to doxx you or anything, hehe.

Senso posted:

Regarding the touts reputation in Vietnam, they are much much worse in Phnom Penh.
That's strange, I don't recall any aggressiveness at all in PP, just the odd "trike/taxi?". Neither in Vietnam either actually, I was just left alone when I walked around.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

I'm about to go to Savannakhet in Laos to do my yearly visa, and if Vientiane is a backwater I don't even know what you'd call that place. It doesn't even have that slightly seedy feel that most border towns have, it's just boring as gently caress with absolutely nothing at all to do. Amazing pâté baguettes though, at least.
Among my favorite bits of Laos trivia, it's illegal to cohabit with a Laos national if you're not married to her. This came up because a friend of mine eventually did marry a nice girl and had a kid, he lives up there part time, but while they were dating they couldn't "cohabit" - except by renting a hotel room on the riverside, which is the one area where "cohabiting" isn't reported or policed. I assumed he was exaggerating, but others assure me that the local sort of block captain system they have there for reporting infractions is fairly serious and this stuff actually gets people in trouble. Sounds pretty alarmist, but this guy has been in SE Asia for a couple of decades, speaks the language and knows how things work and his comment was, "It isn't Thailand, mate." heh. Along those same lines, he's told me the Laos people look down on Thailand for "whoring itself out to foreigners" which is amusing because Thai people generally look down on Laos because it's Laos. I did get a kick out of being accosted on the riverside by two ladyboys who sped up on a motorbike, because when I told a Laos friend she said, "They Thai! No good!"

God bless the neverending circular firing squad of Asian countries' condescension to one another.

He, along with another friend of mine, were the first two foreigners to get seats on the Laos stock exchange, which has all of one or two companies listed - I think just the water utility or whatever it's called. One of them is a private equity guy who did it for work and explained how hard it was. The other is the guy who lives there with the wife who did it to prove how easy it was. If you ever want to trade Laos's stock (singular) let me know!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 18, 2017

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

webmeister posted:

If you're set on going to a theme park or something, you could pop across into Malaysia and visit Legoland? It's in Johor Bahru right across the border from Singapore, and I'd imagine it'll be cheaper and less crowded than Sentosa.
Everyone I know who's been to JB Legoland says it's pretty weak and small-children-focused even by Legoland standards. Maybe worth seeing if you're a giant completionist Lego nerd or something, I don't know. Genting seems to be the place to go if you want your Malaysian theme park fix, not exactly practical if you're planning on a quick jaunt from Singapore though. I ain't been to either so this is all second-hand knowledge.

I don't know if I'm gonna still be living here when they finish building that Ubisoft theme park in a couple years but I'm kinda curious about what it's gonna be like :v:

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Senso posted:

Oh wow, I never heard of that. with just a visa (and I assume an existing non-international driver's licenser) you can get a Viet one?

I had a 3 month multiple entry tourist visa, and I was determined to get that license, so it boiled down to this:

-Fill out the foreigner form for drivers license application, using visa dates as for the appropriate fields
-Submit photocopy of local non international driver's license
-Submit printed copy of translation of same (an hour via Google translate and copying terms from the official form and it was good enough to be accepted lol)
-Photocopies of passport and visa, with equally lol translations to Vietnamese
-Notary stamps on the lot of it (I still have the address saved in HCMC if anyone's in need) for less than $25 usd iirc
-About 130k dong i think directly to the DMV joint
-A shitload of smiling and paperclips and a folder to make it as easily acceptable as possible
-Wait 5 days or so
-Impress (irritate) the country bumpkin cops with your legit Vietnamese license!

E: Laos backwater chat: lol my dumpy hotel in Pakse had signs up warning against cohabbing, I'll dig up a pic I took if I can. Best pate baguette though, dumpiness be damned. Pakse is also a shitball nothing to do backwater, but it makes a good starting point for motorcycle adventuring in the south. Has a huge supermarket with everything ya need too.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Going with my girlfriend into Laos from Udon. I've been to Vientiane before so we're going straight to Vang Vieng. I'm big on nature, hiking up to places with good viewpoints, exploring on motorbike, and relaxing. Is there enough to do there for 4-5 days or will I be ready to move on after 3-4 days?

Also then going to spend about 3 weeks traveling from south to north in Vietnam. What's the preferred way to skip between most cities/spots? Train / flying? I read the buses are pretty lovely. Cost isn't a big deal to me within reason. I actually like traveling by train if they run alright.