Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm about to chug a bunch of potions. I've tried lots of things. The last strat I tried was casting Hold on the fucker and then I buff up my fire res and nuke him with two wands of fire and wand of the heavens, but all that does is take him down to 2 pips, 1 if I'm lucky, and then he regens while my party does nothing to him with normal attacks. By the time I can get a lightning spell cast from Imoen and Dynaheir, he's regened enough HP that he doesn't die. This is loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Do you have the bastard sword +1/+3 vs shapeshifters? You would have gotten it in Cloakwood area 1 by helping the druids kill the hunters or in the city by one the hunters for helping him get rid of doppelgangers in his merchant league. In the ship there's also a silver dagger and, on the top deck, a golden bastard sword (watch out for the trap on the floor.) All 3 of these weapons can hurt the greater wolfwere.

The regeneration is fast, but his max HP isn't terribly high. A good crit with a potion of ogre strength should do it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Sigh, I had Kondar I guess. I know I had it, but I can't find it in any of my inventories. I must have accidentally sold it.

That sword in the top deck with the boss fight, is there a trick to ID'ing it in battle? I don't have any more scrolls of ID on me either. I suppose I could try retreating to the deck below once I grab the loot.

edit: whew, did it. I managed to escape after killing all the lower werewolves and the boss didn't follow me. I rested, rebuffed, and got a back stab with the anti-lycanthrope bastard sword and it was game over for that fucker.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 31, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Katanas are actually terrible.

There are more or less no magical ones in Baldur's Gate 1 until WAY later on, and while Celestial Fury is good in SoA, it's lack of +4 hurts it, and even worse, it's ACTUAL best quality is it's stun...which becomes more and more unreliable as you go through the game as enemy saves get better and better. By the time you hit Throne of Bhaal, you won't be stunning anyone you actually want to stun, and all other enemies will die to fast for the stun to matter. You could switch to Hindo's Doom, but congrats on your weapon that tops at +4 and has no offensive abilities whatsoever.

At this point I feel Celestial Fury exists almost entirely just to trick people into going for katanas, only to realize far too late their horrible mistake.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

Katanas are actually terrible.

There are more or less no magical ones in Baldur's Gate 1 until WAY later on, and while Celestial Fury is good in SoA, it's lack of +4 hurts it, and even worse, it's ACTUAL best quality is it's stun...which becomes more and more unreliable as you go through the game as enemy saves get better and better. By the time you hit Throne of Bhaal, you won't be stunning anyone you actually want to stun, and all other enemies will die to fast for the stun to matter. You could switch to Hindo's Doom, but congrats on your weapon that tops at +4 and has no offensive abilities whatsoever.

At this point I feel Celestial Fury exists almost entirely just to trick people into going for katanas, only to realize far too late their horrible mistake.

I would like to hear some recs other than Flail of Ages / Crom Faeyr. Makes me almost too bored to start a new game when the weapon recs are the same every time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Smashing Link posted:

I would like to hear some recs other than Flail of Ages / Crom Faeyr. Makes me almost too bored to start a new game when the weapon recs are the same every time.

The Impaler is lot's of fun, does sick damage when you can get your number of attacks high up there. I've never actually used Ixil's Spike before, but it looks like it'd be pretty fun too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Smashing Link posted:

There's a lot. Honestly, you can't go wrong with MOST weapons. Darts and daggers are basically never good. Katanas have one period of glory in BG2 and that's it. Short swords have one of the best offhands in the game, but it's hard to justify using one in your main hand instead of something else. Clubs hilariously are terrible until a single club in Throne of Bhaal that does real good damage but oh wait is still pretty bad because it can fireball YOU. Crossbows are generally worse then bows, but ranged falls off in general in ToB. Quarterstaves are good for thieves that laser focus on backstabbing (which usually means dual or multi classing to mage). Slings are for clerics and/or druids. That's about it!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Smashing Link posted:

Shortswords don't get enough love IMO. Arbane's sword (+2, immunity to hold person) is an amazing early/mid-game weapon, finish Renal Bloodscalp's quests for one of the quickest and easiest to get +3 weapons in the game, and then you get a +4 shortsword in chapter 6 and can buy the Sword of Mask from the priests at Watcher's Keep. One of my favorite characters was a kensai/thief that used shortswords.

If you prefer your swords long, there's a huge pile of worthy longswords to pick up all over SoA. And once you come back to Athkatla in chapter 6, you can finally put together the Equalizer for a nice upgrade.

Or what about spears? Sadly there's really only one stand-out example in SoA, but it's one hell of an example. The Impaler, found in the Sahuagin city, does a flat 10 bonus damage on every hit. That'll easily carry you well into ToB when you can get Ixil's Spike or whatever it's called. I honestly don't even know if it's better than the Impaler, aside from being able to hit things that the Impaler can't.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Darts and daggers are basically never good.

From a pure DPS perspective, sure. But darts of stunning or wounding can be very useful, and Firetooth (the +3 throwing dagger you can buy in the Underdark) is great for shutting down spellcasters through stoneskin.

Also it's worth pointing out that once you're wearing a belt of _____ Giant strength, your strength bonus will ensure you're doing good damage no matter what type of weapon you're swinging around. Be a double dagger wielding berserker if you want, you're not exactly gimping yourself.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

IIRC, Firetooth on a Kensai is the highest ranged damage you can get in the game now that the EE added the STR modifier to throwing daggers. Very much a one-trick pony, but fun all the same.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Skwirl posted:

The Impaler is lot's of fun, does sick damage when you can get your number of attacks high up there. I've never actually used Ixil's Spike before, but it looks like it'd be pretty fun too.

Ixil's DoT stacks with itself so you can end up doing ridiculous (and log spamming) damage. Not sure if the EE changed that or not. The biggest gripe about the spear is it grants free action, which does NOT protect against stun in the EE and prevents the use of haste. The flail of ages +5 has the same problem.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Welp, got to the last boss of iwd2, I kill them enough in the first phase for them to teleport to the pool of radiance and when I go over there, they aren't hostile so I chat them up. It triggers the first interaction you have with hem in the game and then crashes. It keeps happening and I don't have it in me to try an older save. I'll check it off my list and go play something else.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Daggers and spears could be a fun run.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dagger of Venom in BG1 is excellent

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Could you make a dagger based ambush thief or something to that effect? Maybe multiclassing with fighter? Or do the kits cover that?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vargatron posted:

Could you make a dagger based ambush thief or something to that effect? Maybe multiclassing with fighter? Or do the kits cover that?

Daggers would make sense, but when you're backstabbing you want your weapon to have really high base damage. And daggers have a really low base damage.
Which is why people seem to recommend staff as the backstabbing weapon of choice. I don't really get that but they know better than I.

(Conceptually this makes as much sense as Assassins in 4th Ed. You'd think they'd use daggers too but NOPE, Greatswords or get out).

The main strength of daggers is added effects, I don't know if any of the added effects stack but if they do a single-classed fighter could be good for getting as many attacks as possible.

And ie: Katanas: One thing that wasn't pointed out in the discussion is Katanas have I think the highest damage potential of any one-handed weapon type at 1d10. I definitely wouldn't go with them for a BG I - ToB run becasue of the complete lack of magical katana but BG II? Sure, Celestial Fury's window of awesomeness in that game lasts roughly from the beginning of chapter 2 (if you can kill the dude wielding it) to the endgame. And the only NPC that uses Katanas is Valygar.

Short Swords have a lot of fun effects but competition for them is pretty dense (Imoen, Jan, Mazzy, maybe Hexxat I don't remember).

Same with 2-Handed Swords (Minsc, Dorn, Keldorn until you get the 2 handed sword that only he can use).

Flails are probably the best Cleric weapon from bell to bell (given how late you get Crom Faeyr) even without necessarily taking Flail of Ages into effect, but there's one really good one and competition from every Cleric NPC.

I hate Maces: There I said it. Except for the Mace of Disruption. But even that is situational.

Of course, I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of the game like others in this thread so maybe there are some great weapons in those types I'm forgetting. I don't know. I haven't been past the Underdark since 2009 or so.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I always found crushing weapons to be better than edged weapons since a lot of enemies, like skeletons, have high damage reduction against edged weapons.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ChrisBTY posted:

Daggers would make sense, but when you're backstabbing you want your weapon to have really high base damage. And daggers have a really low base damage.
Which is why people seem to recommend staff as the backstabbing weapon of choice. I don't really get that but they know better than I.

The reason people recommend quarterstaff for backstab thief is the Staff of Striking, which does 1d6+9 damage, so 10-15 damage plus whatever your strength bonus is. A 19 strength thief (girdle of hill giant strength) gets an extra +7 damage on melee attacks, so a level 9 thief with a x4 backstab modifier (i.e. a basic thief fresh into BG2) will do 68-88 damage on a backstab. If you don't have the girdle yet you can just have your mage cast Strength on your thief to get 18/00 strength, which is +6 damage, almost as good. The staff of striking is available for purchase right from the beginning of the game, so unlike some build recommendations where you spend 90% of the game underpowered so you can spend 10% of the game overpowered, planning around staff backstabs is a decision you get to benefit from for the entire game.

The staff's big downside of course is its limited charges. It's up to you if that matters to you. Usually it doesn't because by BG2 thieves usually have more proficiency points than they really need to worry about, so they can stick to backstabbing with Daystar or whatever 90% of the time, and only bring out the staff for high priority targets. The staff's charges can of course be replenished by selling / rebuying it at a shop.

While I'm on the subject, fighter / thieves can also backstab with extra damage due to their proficiency bonuses, and kensai / thieves even more. The Assassin will surpass both eventually due to the x7 backstab cap, but you won't reach that for a while. Cleric / thieves actually make really impressive backstabbers, since they can use Righteous Magic to ensure every time they damage roll it will be the maximum possible result, as well as stacking their strength up to 25, which is hilarious, 145 damage on a backstab. Mage / thieves of course can cast mislead, but mages can do so much nonsense that it's probably no surprise that they can be disgustingly good backstabbers too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is there a mod which changes the UI so Cleric/Thieves don't have to go into a separate submenu every time they want to use their thieving skills?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

The reason people recommend quarterstaff for backstab thief is the Staff of Striking, which does 1d6+9 damage, so 10-15 damage plus whatever your strength bonus is. A 19 strength thief (girdle of hill giant strength) gets an extra +7 damage on melee attacks, so a level 9 thief with a x4 backstab modifier (i.e. a basic thief fresh into BG2) will do 68-88 damage on a backstab.

In the BG2/EE engine, the strength bonus damage is not multiplied when backstabbing. Everything else is, however.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is there a mod which changes the UI so Cleric/Thieves don't have to go into a separate submenu every time they want to use their thieving skills?

Yeah, it's called original unpatched BG1. Cost is only 1 weapon slot, though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I feel no shame in editing my weapon proficiencies at the start of BG2. If the game somehow magically resurrects and forces me to care about some lady who I robbed and left for wolf food months and months ago, I feel it's pretty justified to do some retconing of my own.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
S T A F F O F T H E R A M

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Switching the subject.
On Dorn's Bloody Path:

I beat up the Paladins that hunted down Dorn but Dorn died in the fight and Azogoth's ghost didn't appear. I wasn't aware that was a thing so I just left. I can't progress further can I?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Did something happen to make the pathfinding a lot worse than it used to be for BGEE? I swear ncps are getting stuck on like nothing all the time now.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yeah, I noticed that in the EE, if you're trying to walk straight across an object or an NPC that can't be pushed, you'll get stuck there instead of walking around them. It doesn't seem to happen if you approach them at angle, but if it's dead on you get stuck.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

bongwizzard posted:

Did something happen to make the pathfinding a lot worse than it used to be for BGEE? I swear ncps are getting stuck on like nothing all the time now.

I haven't noticed it getting worse, but it's pretty bad sometimes. My favorite thing is when two characters get jammed up in a doorway or hallway and one of them turns around and starts walking the other way. It's like, I get that you can't figure out a way forward right now, but there's no alternate route back there, so why move at all? Just wait for a second and try again.

Actually I don't know if there's a mod for this, but I would kill for a setting that just turned off collision for party members so they could walk through each other.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

bongwizzard posted:

I am reasonably sure it was this bad in the original.
But the idea that Beamdog somehow made the pathing worse is oddly amusing to me.
Because holy poo poo it is infuriating.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Ctrl+j is mandatory for me. Pillars is soooooo much nicer with all of the qol improvements in the engine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

funmanguy posted:

Ctrl+j is mandatory for me. Pillars is soooooo much nicer with all of the qol improvements in the engine.

Pillars had made it drat hard to go back to Baldurs Gate.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So it seems if I go back to Baldur's Gate in chapter 7 and a guard sees me I'm arrested and plot stuff starts to happen. Is this a point of no return to the end of the game? All I have left to do is Durlag's Tower before I'm ready to end things.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The point of no return is entering the final battle area. It will be abundantly clear when that's about to happen. You can advance the plot a bit to stop being arrested/attacked on the spot by the Flaming Fist, then go to Durlag's.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm pretty sure the final boss can be actively swinging at your face and you can still leave, although I suppose I've never tested to see if the exit door is shut down at that point.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
has anyone found a fix/workaround for custom sound sets not playing some of their sounds (mostly selection sounds) since SoD came out?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm pretty sure the final boss can be actively swinging at your face and you can still leave, although I suppose I've never tested to see if the exit door is shut down at that point.

If you go into the temple you can't leave, but you can leave if you are still outside it. But to the dude above you can keep advancing the plot till the guards don't aggro you anymore then go do durlags.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

chaosapiant posted:

Pillars had made it drat hard to go back to Baldurs Gate.

I keep trying to play PoE and it makes me go back to Baldurs Gate.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Comstar posted:

I keep trying to play PoE and it makes me go back to Baldurs Gate.

I keep reading your user name and it makes me go back to the Ironman threads. :allears:

Also, gently caress you all because I am not longer able to play Baldur's Gate any other way.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Haste, buff strength however, and spam magic missile (more missiles = better chance of penetrating magic resistance compared to otherwise more damaging spells).

Edit: sorry, this post is way out of date.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 2, 2017

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pierre McGuire posted:

has anyone found a fix/workaround for custom sound sets not playing some of their sounds (mostly selection sounds) since SoD came out?

This is just a shot in the dark, but at least in the original games/early EE versions the sounds worked off this list of filenames

quote:

XXXXXXXa.wav : Battle Cry
XXXXXXXb.wav : Becoming Leader
XXXXXXXc.wav : Tired
XXXXXXXd.wav : Bored
XXXXXXXe.wav : Badly Wounded
XXXXXXXf.wav : Selected 1
XXXXXXXg.wav : Selected 2
XXXXXXXh.wav : Selected 3
XXXXXXXi.wav : Action Acknowledgement 1
XXXXXXXj.wav : Action Acknowledgement 2
XXXXXXXk.wav : Action Acknowledgement 3
XXXXXXXl.wav : Being Hit
XXXXXXXm.wav : Dying
XXXXXXXn.wav : In Forest
XXXXXXXo.wav : In City
XXXXXXXp.wav : In Dungeon
XXXXXXXq.wav : Daytime
XXXXXXXr.wav : Nighttime
XXXXXXXs.wav : Rare Selected 1
XXXXXXXt.wav : Rare Selected 2
XXXXXXXu.wav : Rare Selected 3
XXXXXXXv.wav : Rare Selected 4
XXXXXXXw.wav : Reaction to Party Member Death

If your custom sound set is formatted like that, and a new version decided to change the naming convention, this would break the custom sound set. I can't confirm with my current set-up whether this is the case.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So I am having an issue with a randomly hostile guard in Nashkel. No idea what happened, but I want to just console-kill him, but I cannot find my fuckin baldur.ini file.

Am I going crazy here? This is where it lives, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bongwizzard posted:

So I am having an issue with a randomly hostile guard in Nashkel. No idea what happened, but I want to just console-kill him, but I cannot find my fuckin baldur.ini file.

Am I going crazy here? This is where it lives, right?

Apparently you are now supposed to edit the baldur.lua file, which should be the bottom one in your screen shot, more detailed instructions in the second post. It's asking about BG2, but it should be identical.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50920/no-baldur-ini-file
Edit: This thread says you should still edit baldur.ini but it hasn't been updated for a year, so it might be wrong, the did some updates after the release of SoD I'm just including it because the other console commands have changed as well
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/8317/general-bgee-customization-pre-v2-0/p1

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 4, 2017