Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

kaworu posted:

Also, anyone notice the use of the REALLY creepy bit of backwards-sounding music from FWWM in the Sarah Palmer scene in the grocery store? I remember Lynch using that at really key, TERRIFYING moments in FWWM and it would usually portend the appearance of something truly scary. It is used when Sam Stanley finds the very first paper letter under Teresa Banks' finger. It's used when the strange woman walks into the trailer with Carl, Desmond, and Stanley as well, I think. I believe it is used when Laura meets Mrs. Tremond and her (masked) son, and is told about BOB being in her room. ("The man behind the mask is going to the place where it's hidden. He's under the fan now.") I could be wrong about that one, though. But it's a REALLY distinctive and frightening musical cue and I was scared just hearing it.

Yeah it's very effective and unnerving... I think it also played some during the FWWM Jeffries scene, maybe when Cooper was looking at himself in the security monitor?

The weird whoosh sound as Diane said "Let's rock!" was used in FWWM too, when they showed it written on Desmond's car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Loved the episode, I hurt my face I laughed so much. I genuinely don't know if I enjoyed Gordon's date making her slow exit from the room or Audrey and her husband's lengthy argument more. His exasperated,"I have a deadline!" and,"I'm soooo sleepy" absolutely killed me.

Only 6 hours of this wonderful insanity to go :smith:

I don't believe you

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Really exciting to see a long awaited fan favorite character finally return: the Palmer house ceiling fan. We saw the horse and the traffic light early, but I knew it'd show up before the end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm gonna look back on this season the same way I do season 2. Really good parts peppered through a ton of stuff I don't care about. I've honestly somehow became uninterested in nearly all of the plot threads. Don't care about Evil Coop, don't care about Dougie Coop, don't care about Cole or Albert's thing anymore, don't care about the Hornes (not like they're really giving much to care about besides Bad Grandson), never cared about anything happening in Vegas, don't care about Diane's end game motivations. The only things I'm still invested in is the Bobby/Shelly thing, Hawk and Sheriff Truman piecing everything together, and a little bit about that one deputy's new car.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Talk about the worst tagline that Showtime gave this episode (I know, each episode actually doesn't have a title, just a part number, but still): "Let's Rock."

Geez, I mean technically Diane says it, but what a loving letdown.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gonna seriously LOL at the reveal and the reactions from the internet, when we find out Richard is Donna's kid.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Clouseau posted:

Really exciting to see a long awaited fan favorite character finally return: the Palmer house ceiling fan. We saw the horse and the traffic light early, but I knew it'd show up before the end.

At least we know what the horse is now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I liked that all we got of Dougie was his son throwing a baseball at him when they teased the pie last episode lmao.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm really impressed by this season's ability to do the exact opposite of what you expect at all times. We all knew Audrey would return, but who could have predicted that it would happen like this???

While it's frustrating to introduce her in a scene that's seemingly arbitrary to the main plot, the scene was really well acted—the look Charlie gives her after the phone call is priceless.

There's a really thick sense of sadness that flows through this whole season; I think a lot of it comes from David Lynch himself being old as gently caress. All of these characters are 25 years past their prime, and even if Coop is restored things won't return to the way they used to be. Just about every main character has a severe mental, emotional, or physical handicap, and the ones you root for are the ones doing their best and acting with integrity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean they could have had Audrey come back as a corpse

You know, Sherilyn Fenn lying on a slab in a morgue

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

No, "Let's Rock" is a perfect phrase for an episode where a woman stocks up on a few bottles for a wild night with a demon and a grocer and Cole plays the sexy "reve-bateau" for his très chic amour!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
There's a real sense of loss, frustration, and regret permeating everything in the town of Twin Peaks. No one's life has turned out all that great with a few exceptions like Bobby, and even he's been divorced and his daughter is stuck in drug use and lovely relationships (Andy and Lucy seem OK, but there's something really weird about their whole setup - it feels like a coping mechanism). I think a lot of the Roadhouse conversations are meant to show that the darkness that was subtext before is becoming text.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Vikar Jerome posted:

gonna seriously LOL at the reveal and the reactions from the internet, when we find out Richard is Donna's kid.

This is what I want. It would also explain why Truman went to Ben and Audrey seemed to not be aware.

Or maybe it's just because Ben has money to pay the hospital bills.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It is pretty weird that Audrey ended up being in Twin Peaks the whole time, given how unconnected she seems to all the poo poo going on with Richard. Here's my left-field guess: Audrey gave birth while still in a coma, and he was raised by Benjamin and Sylvia. Do we know how long she was in the coma? Maybe it was like ten years.

The Donna theory is pretty funny too.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 31, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm gonna look back on this season the same way I do season 2. Really good parts peppered through a ton of stuff I don't care about. I've honestly somehow became uninterested in nearly all of the plot threads. Don't care about Evil Coop, don't care about Dougie Coop, don't care about Cole or Albert's thing anymore, don't care about the Hornes (not like they're really giving much to care about besides Bad Grandson), never cared about anything happening in Vegas, don't care about Diane's end game motivations. The only things I'm still invested in is the Bobby/Shelly thing, Hawk and Sheriff Truman piecing everything together, and a little bit about that one deputy's new car.

See back in the old days when a person didn't like something they stopped watching and did something else. Then the internet came along. And now we have hate watching and all this poo poo. And we get to listen to everyone tell us why they don't like the show as if we care. As if we would ever care about the opinion, about a tv show, from a stranger. It's an amazing world.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm convinced we are getting coop back next week. The climax of that story last week followed by a ten second clip of dougie getting hit in the head with a baseball. Lynch knows exactly what he's doing and I don't think he would be *that* mean unless we were getting our catharsis next week.

I might well be wrong though.

edit: I don't know how people don't like this. it's a masterpiece. it's stunning. it's going to go down in history as the greatest single season of television in history.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

The Walrus posted:

I'm convinced we are getting coop back next week.

Said increasingly nervous man for the previous ten or so weeks

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Toaster Beef posted:

Said increasingly nervous man for the previous ten or so weeks

yeah but this time!!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Also loving lol at the goon who though Hawk was hitting on Sarah.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I also don't think that thing that was reported about Lynch writing an 18 hour film and showtime split up the episodes was true.

The episodes are far too thematically and tonally different, and there's questions of expectation and payoff that are expertly addressed with the episode splits. Really the idea of what's in an episode is so vital to a successful tv show I can't imagine that Lynch was willing to create a masterpiece and then give it to tv execs to chop up.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

Holy loving poo poo I completely forgot about that season 2 plot with Ben Horne's letters to Donna's mother. God damnit Harley Payton and Robert Engles are the worst.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
How many episode are there going to be? I thought i heard 18 but now I'm hearing people say there are 5 more?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

The Walrus posted:

I'm convinced we are getting coop back next week. The climax of that story last week followed by a ten second clip of dougie getting hit in the head with a baseball. Lynch knows exactly what he's doing and I don't think he would be *that* mean unless we were getting our catharsis next week.

It looked to me like he got hit in the shoulder.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

How many episode are there going to be? I thought i heard 18 but now I'm hearing people say there are 5 more?
18, but part 17 and 18 air together, so 5 more weeks of shows.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cromulent posted:

Oooh, I'd never heard that. That's gonna be a sweet finale.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Genuinely didn't like the episode as it felt like the least nutritious filler imaginable... but the sarah palmer scenes were haunting. I'm legit worried there is some bad juju cooking up in that house.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hijinks Ensue posted:

There's a real sense of loss, frustration, and regret permeating everything in the town of Twin Peaks. No one's life has turned out all that great with a few exceptions like Bobby, and even he's been divorced and his daughter is stuck in drug use and lovely relationships (Andy and Lucy seem OK, but there's something really weird about their whole setup - it feels like a coping mechanism). I think a lot of the Roadhouse conversations are meant to show that the darkness that was subtext before is becoming text.

Twin Peaks is exactly the sort of place where there are no prospects for life. People who are going to do anything with their lives leave and the people who stay work in the local diner for the rest of their lives. This was not any different in the original series. The only successful people in town were the owners of the Mill and the local Hotel. I lived in a town like that once and I went back there years after I left and it was the same way.

I thought about how life would be for Audrey twenty plus years later when the new show was first being talked up and you know what conclusion I came to? She's going to stuck in a bad marriage and be completely unfulfilled in her life. Probably she's having an affair. Not a hard conclusion to come to since that seems to be the fate of everyone in this series. Her Knight in shining armor turned her down and her rebound fling left on a jetplane to bigger and better places than a nowhere town.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 31, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cromulent posted:

Good, I can cancel my Showtime subscription a bit sooner then! Is there even another show worth watching in their catalogue?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I would watch a whole series that's just people having conversations at the roadhouse.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Good, I can cancel my Showtime subscription a bit sooner then! Is there even another show worth watching in their catalogue?

I hear The Affair is good and Billions is good in a trashy-TV kind of way

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unlikely to be of any real interest but this is where Twin Peaks is alleged to be by the Co Or Din Ates Plus Two

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Was it just my connection or did anyone else notice the frame jump when Gordon Cole closes his hotel room door behind Albert?
I know people were talking about alternate realities/timelines based on subtle "matrix glitches" but this one was suuuper visible even after rewinding it and watching it again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
there is some time fuckery going on, thats for sure. they are going out of their way to drop and show dates, times, moon phases, people wearing the same clothes.

i'm starting to think the roadhouse bits are all from the same night just from different booths. we've had two bands play two different songs, both wearing the same clothes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

See back in the old days when a person didn't like something they stopped watching and did something else. Then the internet came along. And now we have hate watching and all this poo poo. And we get to listen to everyone tell us why they don't like the show as if we care. As if we would ever care about the opinion, about a tv show, from a stranger. It's an amazing world.

Discussing a show in the thread for discussing the show?! Well I never! I never said I hated it, just that I'm not invested in it anymore. Clutch your pearls some more though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Vikar Jerome posted:

there is some time fuckery going on, thats for sure. they are going out of their way to drop and show dates, times, moon phases, people wearing the same clothes.

i'm starting to think the roadhouse bits are all from the same night just from different booths. we've had two bands play two different songs, both wearing the same clothes.

I think it probably boils down to Lynch not being a big stickler for continuity and a clearly delineated time line in the editing process.

That's not to say that he's lazy, just that those things aren't priority. The bands almost certainly filmed their multiple songs on the same day. They could change outfits, but ehh, whatever.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

General Dog posted:

I think it probably boils down to Lynch not being a big stickler for continuity and a clearly delineated time line in the editing process.

That's not to say that he's lazy, just that those things aren't priority. The bands almost certainly filmed their multiple songs on the same day. They could change outfits, but ehh, whatever.

It could simply have to do with how he edited the season into separate episodes. It's hard to say.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Okay, ridiculous theory time: Cooper is coming back in episode 15.

I think there's some very specific foreshadowing going on with episode numbers here: in FWWM, Lynch lingers on the weird Black Lodge light pole with the number 6 on it. He specifically chooses to show it again in episode 6 of the new show, right after the hit and run, when it possibly serves as a conduit for the kid's soul to the afterlife. In episode 3, the woman in the pink dimension keeps Cooper away from the electrical socket until she can flip the switch upstairs and make it say 3: then it's safe to go through. Before the switch gets flipped, the socket says 15.

Does that mean Cooper's coming back to the pink dimension through that socket in episode 15? That he'll just finally get his memory back in episode 15? That ghost Ronette will give him his shoes back through the socket in episode 15? I have no idea, but based on the timing of the appearance of other numbers associated with electricity so far, I'm pretty sure something big will happen then.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

See back in the old days when a person didn't like something they stopped watching and did something else. Then the internet came along.

the internet didn't invent this or almost any other human behavior attributed to it

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
It's good to see Audrey back again even through shes married to a manlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That Audrey scene was great, especially the phonecall. You can infer just enough to get an idea of why he won't tell her anything but you get absolutely no shred of the interesting stuff that passed along. Lynch is a cocktease genius.

Also I love that we still got a tiny Dougie update this week