Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what if big mom had an apple or orange or whatever in her tums when she ate caramel and the fruit turned into a devil fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
no one knows what goes on in the big mom gut

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Lpzie posted:

Can you feed the planet a fruit?

Nice toriko reference

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Manatee Cannon posted:

feed it a version of the human fruit and turn the earth into ego the living planet

But does it poop?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
every loving time lol all you gotta do is say haki and its over

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And people were having such a nice time talking about anime songs too

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Manatee Cannon posted:

feed it a version of the human fruit and turn the earth into ego the living planet

Human Human fruit. Model: Sweet Goatee

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really really hope the birdcage/Dressrosa as a whole is the peak of bad storytelling in one piece

I feel like it probably won't get any worse than that and Oda better not prove me wrong so that this post comes back to bite me in like five years or some poo poo

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Considering how big Marineford got, the final battle could hit the same scale as Naruto's finale, although I feel like One Piece would have a hard time feeling like it's gone too big, and even something as dumb as bird cage would still get more of a pass by virtue of being the last setpiece of the series.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Manatee Cannon posted:

Mogo's cooler.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Human Human fruit. Model: Sweet Goatee

I read that as 'Model: Sweet Goatse'. :sweatdrop:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Kuroyama posted:

Mogo's cooler.

Yeah but he's not big on socialization.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I read that as 'Model: Sweet Goatse'. :sweatdrop:

The Something Awful planet

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crazyeyes posted:

Yeah but he's not big on socialization.

He's not the kind of guy that goes out to see people like Ego, but he's great if you go to him. He's probably even a trained psychologist given he's a living chill zone and where Lanterns go to relax or talk their problems out.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Forgot that this moment happened in Punk Hazard:

https://youtu.be/4bzGNQKC3DA

Any idea on why Kin'emon hates dragons so much?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Forgot that this moment happened in Punk Hazard:

https://youtu.be/4bzGNQKC3DA

Any idea on why Kin'emon hates dragons so much?

Unless we learn something new once they reach Wa I believe it's a nod to MONSTERS, a one-shot by Oda before he started serializing One Piece in which the samurai Ryuma (the same that appeared as a zombie in Thriller Bark) saves a village from a dragon. So it twists the old "dragons and knights are sworn enemies" trope by switching them with samurais.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Petiso posted:

Unless we learn something new once they reach Wa I believe it's a nod to MONSTERS, a one-shot by Oda before he started serializing One Piece in which the samurai Ryuma (the same that appeared as a zombie in Thriller Bark) saves a village from a dragon. So it twists the old "dragons and knights are sworn enemies" trope by switching them with samurais.

I'm hoping we get some sweet dragon slaying action in Wano. :black101:

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Kaidou is totally a dragon and Zoro is gonna gently caress his poo poo up with Luffy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Momonosuke is a good boy and deserves to live and be happy, thank you very much. :colbert:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Why didn't anyone ever try just feeding a devil fruit too big mom. Seems like a relatively easy thing to do

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

devil fruit tastes like poo poo so presumably it's really obvious when someone tries to make you eat a second one and you can just spit it out

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Do we even empirically know that the devil fruit x2 interaction is even true? It's all rumor and hearsay in the manga as far as I know

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Do we even empirically know that the devil fruit x2 interaction is even true? It's all rumor and hearsay in the manga as far as I know

It's one of those lore things that's yet to fire off. We've seen people eat Devil Fruit, we've even seen the fruit get freed up after a character death--we still haven't seen someone go for that second fruit. Seems like it's bound to happen eventually.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

devil fruit tastes like poo poo so presumably it's really obvious when someone tries to make you eat a second one and you can just spit it out

But the powers are imparted on the first bite, so by the time you taste it should already be too late.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Blueno and Lucci discuss it as a fact discovered by researchers, so unless those researchers deliberately gave false info (which would be a dumb twist) it should be treated as a fact.

As for why it hasn't been used to kill an unassuming DF user: devil fruits are very rare, so it would be a waste compared to the potential long-term benefits you'd get from the ability, and more importantly, it would be incredibly anticlimactic and unsatisfying from a narrative perspective.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When CP9 discuss eating two fruits Jyabura claims the two devils attack each other and you die which is dumb but then Blueno clarifies that people on the Grand Line have researched that you explode when you eat two.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i thought they explode smiley by getting it to eat another devil fruit but it was just "candy"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I fell out of One Piece a some years ago, is it still good? Did we ever get to Fishman Island? Has there been any sign of approaching a climax or will this manga be going on for ten more years?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I fell out of One Piece a some years ago, is it still good? Did we ever get to Fishman Island? Has there been any sign of approaching a climax or will this manga be going on for ten more years?

yes yes sorta and yes

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I'd say it's currently good, although there's definitely been some rough patches post-time skip, mostly involving things getting dragged out too long. Fishman Island was three arcs ago. It will probably be going for almost another decade, but things are approaching a climax in a sense; the focus has shifted to the conflict between the Supernovas and the Emperors.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

YggiDee posted:

The answer to all your questions is yes. Luffy's entering the endgame and everything he needs to do is clear, but it's still going to be years before it's all accomplished.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

YggiDee posted:

Read and catch up! You are in for a treat.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No idea where you are in the series, but: everything leading up to the timeskip is amazing, the immediate events following the timeskip are hilarious, then everything afterwards is pretty solid overall with a few really outstanding moments, then suddenly everything is straight-up amazing again and hasn't stopped since.

Go catch up on One Piece.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

YggiDee posted:

I wonder how long ago you dropped the series. They got to Fishman Island back around 2011, so it must have been quite a while.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

oddium posted:

i thought they explode smiley by getting it to eat another devil fruit but it was just "candy"

Nah, it was a ball of ingredients designed to combine with Smiley's gas and produce Shinokuni, killing Smiley in the process.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought World of Death was just Smiley's original form and Caesar just fused it with the wooper looper fruit to condense it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the stretch from fishman island to when they leave dressrosa is the weakest stretch of one piece (not bad but def less good), but after that the quality skyrockets and it's been super good since

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Punk Hazard is a fun short arc with lots of goofy poo poo going on that makes for a really fun read. Dressrosa has a lot of pacing problems that are lessened by the fact that its now finished and can be blasted through in like a day. Outside of the way too many flashbacks I can at least forgive it some what because its basically setting up the pieces for the world of One Piece once the Schichibukai are no longer a real threat to the Strawhats and those pieces now being set up are why the plot has been moving so briskly after Dressrosa.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 1, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think punk hazard suffered the worst from oda's tendency to clutter action sequences with huge maps that barely help you understand where things are happening, but obviously dressrosa wasn't great about that either

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think one of the big pacing problems is Oda's love of ticking-bomb plot devices. It started with a literal ticking bomb in Arabasta and was followed by the big ball of lightning that was going to destroy Skypeia, the approaching dawn on Thriller Bark, running from the gas on Punk Hazard, and Bird Cage in Dressrosa. It worked OK for Arabasta, where it was a subplot to provide variety while Luffy was fighting Crocodile, and Thriller Bark, where it didn't really take up panel time. The problem comes with the constant cutaways to the lightning/gas/strings moving infinitesimally closer, which is just a waste of panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
You forgot the impending Buster Call and the falling giant ship.