Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

Anyone ever actually used a Kensington Lock?

Yes. At my old job and at my new job.
We have meeting rooms with a laptop that's always there. So we locked them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bigass Moth posted:

Which one, Kensington makes about 6 different laptop locks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bigass Moth posted:

We used them for the Zoom Room controller iPads.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Bigass Moth posted:

We were going to start when we had a run of thefts of laptops and microtowers from classrooms and meeting rooms. But then the thefts stopped, and the college decided the locks weren't worth the cost; and that the new rule requiring classrooms and meeting rooms be locked during the day when not in use wasn't worth enforcing either.

And yet they keep blaming IT for their budget issues...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bigass Moth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQIJpOhV4c

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
You can use a pen, too.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

stevewm posted:

I have a user who is notorious for turning in the smallest of issues into big major productions. He will often not give any detail until someone from IT shows up at his desk. He didn't disappoint this morning either.

"Logged into security camera near *users* desk, looked at computer and it appears to be fine. Closing ticket, have done what was asked"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kensington locks are good if you're trying to stop stuff from wandering from room to room.

If you're trying to curb theft, they are so trivially easy to defeat you're better off locking things up in secure area.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in over the weekend. Can't print to the new copier in the boys' dorm.

I try to connect and, sure enough, they aren't responding to ping and I can't access the web interfaces.

Long story short, after handholding the copier tech through 26 deployments where we set static IPs, I had to leave him alone for the final four installs to attend a meeting and left him with the IP addresses. These four were set for DHCP.

Just. Ugh.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

200+ tickets have come in.

Cerner is down enterprise wide, 40+ hospitals across the US...

lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Proteus Jones posted:

Kensington locks are good if you're trying to stop stuff from wandering from room to room.

If you're trying to curb theft, they are so trivially easy to defeat you're better off locking things up in secure area.

A while back I remember watching a recording of two guys who were elevator technicians/hackers doing a presentation (they here hired to test how easy it is to break into certain facilities) and they, along with the crowd, had a good laugh at how easy tubular locks were to defeat.

By the way, if you have half a clue, elevators are nothing but security theater and comically easy to screw around with. They likened an elevator to basically having an open stair to any floor it connects to.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

A while back I remember watching a recording of two guys who were elevator technicians/hackers doing a presentation (they here hired to test how easy it is to break into certain facilities) and they, along with the crowd, had a good laugh at how easy tubular locks were to defeat.

By the way, if you have half a clue, elevators are nothing but security theater and comically easy to screw around with. They likened an elevator to basically having an open stair to any floor it connects to.
It's a good talk. They have other videos besides the elevator one, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus

It is also about two hours long.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in over the weekend. Can't print to the new copier in the boys' dorm.

I try to connect and, sure enough, they aren't responding to ping and I can't access the web interfaces.

Long story short, after handholding the copier tech through 26 deployments where we set static IPs, I had to leave him alone for the final four installs to attend a meeting and left him with the IP addresses. These four were set for DHCP.

Just. Ugh.

Why aren't you using DHCP Reservations?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

anthonypants posted:

It is however, much to my surprise when I was first linked it, an intensely entertaining two hours.

When I was a pizza driver I became convinced I could get anywhere short of a secure military complex with an insulated pizza bag smelling of hot pizza. These guys basically confirmed that "look like you're supposed to be there" will get you damned near loving anywhere.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A VAR was installing a laptop on-sight to get insight on our network traffic. I wasn't able to make it to the office that morning, but the front desk was happy enough to unlock my office for him and let him straight into the server room without checking with anybody on if this guy was really supposed to be there.

That guy needed a router config change but I was driving and unable to get him in. He found out the console ports to all of my network equipment is unsecured.

The front desk could have given away the data keys to our entire organization that day because this guy had a laptop and said he was supposed to be there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bigass Moth posted:

Sort of? At my old job my laptop had to be either A. physically secured or B. on my person at all times. Then again, health insurance and HIPAA.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

Anyone that hasn't seen this yet, please do so. It's really, really fun.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bigass Moth posted:

At the last place I was ordered to put them in place in one particular office. They're only good for preventing minor efforts at theft.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dick Trauma posted:

At the last place I was ordered to put them in place in one particular office. They're only good for preventing minor efforts at theft.

As my stepfather would say " Just there to keep an honest man honest."

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hey when your ticket is allegedly high priority loving drop everything because we need this fixed before noon could you:
1. Maybe clue me in before 11:15am the day of seeing as the email chain you forwarded me is over a week old?
2. Answer your phone when I call?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uPen posted:

Hey when your ticket is allegedly high priority loving drop everything because we need this fixed before noon could you:
1. Maybe clue me in before 11:15am the day of seeing as the email chain you forwarded me is over a week old?
Could not get any additional required information from ticket submitter, closing ticket.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Johnny Aztec posted:

As my stepfather would say " Just there to keep an honest man honest."

Yup. They are trivial to defeat but it kept all my public equipment in place when I ran college labs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Naramyth posted:

Yup. They are trivial to defeat but it kept all my public equipment in place when I ran college labs.

Really even the slightest deterrent will stop 90% of would-be criminals. Even the appearance of a deterrent is often enough.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MF_James posted:

Really even the slightest deterrent will stop 90% of would-be criminals. Even the appearance of a deterrent is often enough.

Well, it also helps in that to defeat even a minor deterrant where the potential offender is obviously wallying about in an odd way with said item. They basically want to walk in and walk out with no one else any the wiser.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If they just wore an oversized polo shirt and a dead inside expression they could pose as desktop support.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If they just wore an oversized polo shirt and a dead inside expression they could pose as desktop support.

Mumbling while staring at the ground helps too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Samizdata posted:

Mumbling while staring at the ground helps too.

Don't forget to rant about how stupid people are

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

uPen posted:

3. Don't magically re-appear at 12:50 asking if it's been done yet after vanishing off the face of the Earth for 90 minutes. I'm going to lunch.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

anthonypants posted:

This is the most fascinating video I've watched in a long time. Well worth the two hours.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kaethela posted:

This is the most fascinating video I've watched in a long time. Well worth the two hours.

Despite his dumb name, all of Deviant Ollam's presentations are worth watching. Physical penetration testing is a field that lends itself to great stories.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Physical penetration testing is a field that lends itself to great stories.

New thread title

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm all about checking out those videos for extreme learning and satisfaction.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Despite his dumb name, all of Deviant Ollam's presentations are worth watching. Physical penetration testing is a field that lends itself to great stories.

Agreed, they are all pretty entertaining. Who knew I wanted to watch a presentation on elevators for like 2 hours?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
All physical locks might as well be rated in minutes. All you're adding with them is time before someone detects the attempt at intrusion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sigma posted:

All physical locks might as well be rated in minutes. All you're adding with them is time before someone detects the attempt at intrusion.

Congratulations. You now get people angry because their 5-10 minute lock got defeated in 5 seconds because someone broke the cheap rear end plastic zip tie they locked the equipment to.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jeoh posted:

Why aren't you using DHCP Reservations?

What are the odds that the vendor could get him the MAC addresses of the printers ahead of time, and then correctly associate those with which ones are ending up where ?

What the situation called for was dynamic DNS, we use that for printers on campus. Set the hostname, printer talks to DHCP, DHCP talks to DNS, DNS talks to everyone else.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
One of these days I'll switch from static to reservations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mllaneza posted:

What are the odds that the vendor could get him the MAC addresses of the printers ahead of time, and then correctly associate those with which ones are ending up where ?

Windows server makes it trivial to add reservations, although I guess you'd kind of be assigning IPs willy-nilly...

mllaneza posted:

What the situation called for was dynamic DNS, we use that for printers on campus. Set the hostname, printer talks to DHCP, DHCP talks to DNS, DNS talks to everyone else.

This is 100% the ideal though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alkydere posted:

Congratulations. You now get people angry because their 5-10 minute lock got defeated in 5 seconds because someone broke the cheap rear end plastic zip tie they locked the equipment to.

Well, if the zip tie was rated at higher than 5 seconds, they should reach out to them for a refund on their ziptie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bigass Moth posted:

At a previous job, if you didn't lock your laptop to your desk and the security team saw that it sat there unattended while you were away, they would just grab it. You then had to go and explain to them why you hadn't locked it down and how you would never do it again.

I've tried getting traction to implement this at my other jobs, but for some reason nobody wants to do it.

• Locked thread