Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone made a mod that turns Mimics into fluffy kittens yet?

I beat the game once and it's loving amazing, just like everything else Arkane makes, but since I'm a massive pussy I unfortunately don't think that my heart can take another playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone made a mod that turns Mimics into fluffy kittens yet?

You would want to harvest fluffy kittens to inject into your eye? You monster.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

i'm curious, do mimics trigger people with arachnophobia? They're somewhat similarly shaped but don't really move in the same way so I wonder.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a metaphor for YouTube tutorials.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

double nine posted:

i'm curious, do mimics trigger people with arachnophobia? They're somewhat similarly shaped but don't really move in the same way so I wonder.

They didn't for me, but my arachnophobia is more low key. The only ones that really get me are the big furry ones, like in Dark Messiah (which I powered through, but god drat)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

double nine posted:

I don't think they would.
They don't have that that "robotic" movement that spiders have, mimics move pretty fluidly most of the time, nor do they have fangs or any sharp features.

If Mimics moved and looked more like insects then that would've been really hosed up.

CaptCommy posted:

They didn't for me, but my arachnophobia is more low key. The only ones that really get me are the big furry ones, like in Dark Messiah (which I powered through, but god drat)

That place in Dark Messiah sucks.
It's only saving grace is that if you move really slowly then you can actually see the spiders waiting to ambush you, giving you an opportunity to use all the fireball scrolls you've been saving just for that place.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Soiled Meat
Shoot your monitor with a stun gun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dark Messiah's Spider Hell is incredible and I love it. My favorite part about it is how almost the entire thing is skippable if you jump at just the right time to dodge the suddenly collapsing floor. You can just proceed down the hall and onto the next area.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Mzbundifund posted:

Dark Messiah's Spider Hell is incredible and I love it. My favorite part about it is how almost the entire thing is skippable if you jump at just the right time to dodge the suddenly collapsing floor. You can just proceed down the hall and onto the next area.

The spiders in Dark Messiah can climb on walls which makes them way more terrifying than most video game spiders. I got over my arachnophobia to beat that game though since it's so much fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cnidaria posted:

The spiders in Dark Messiah can climb on walls which makes them way more terrifying than most video game spiders. I got over my arachnophobia to beat that game though since it's so much fun.

I think Brookhaven is still the pinnacle of "triggering arachnophobia" for people.

Fighting giant wall climbing spiders that can come over any edge in full VR will do that though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I had the same issue with Dahl becoming super-fragile the first time I fought him in the Arbo - I reloaded from the convenient level-transition autosave, stunned him at full HP, and he was fine the second time.

This game is pretty nice with extra autosaves, the start of each level ones are super handy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Jesus christ the Technomancer in Fabrication scared the poo poo out of me. I thought my game was glitching out when this massive misshapen Operator looking thing flew through the doorway right into my face.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

GlyphGryph posted:

I think Brookhaven is still the pinnacle of "triggering arachnophobia" for people.

Dunno, Metro: Last Light would probably like to have a word. I don't have arachnophobia and it still managed to gently caress me up.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Kai Tave posted:

Jesus christ the Technomancer in Fabrication scared the poo poo out of me. I thought my game was glitching out when this massive misshapen Operator looking thing flew through the doorway right into my face.

It sucks so hard if you make a beeline there from the start and try to kill it. It did for me, I died. A lot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It sucks so hard if you make a beeline there from the start and try to kill it. It did for me, I died. A lot.

I'd suggest picking up some recyclers along the way and letting those do most of the work for you. A single recycle charge will kill its turrets, while each grenade will double as a several second stun, allowing you to dump free damage into it. I was able to get past it on nightmare with five or six recyclers and a pistol, while also running a mod that gives all enemies about 120% HP, on my first or second attempt. Just make judicious use of consumables and you should be able to brute for your way through just about anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Q-Beam is pretty much made for that. Especially because it does AoE damage after something explodes so you can start by killing one of the turrets and it'll damage all of the thing.
Combat Focus helps too.
Alternatively, the Stun Gun and EMP Grenades are good too.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I found combat focus and just emptying pistol clips into its eye worked very well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That fight was a highlight. I also found it early, and was unprepared. I did take it down, but expended basically all my resources doing so.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
You can also just run past it to the body, which has a keycard which is very handy!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

That fight was a highlight. I also found it early, and was unprepared. I did take it down, but expended basically all my resources doing so.

Same but it was worth it because I crafted like 30 neuromods right after.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Woops, I forgot that I had the stun gun on me as well. That thing can and will carry you through the first third or half of the game, and is probably mandatory on nightmare.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

turn off the TV posted:

Woops, I forgot that I had the stun gun on me as well. That thing can and will carry you through the first third or half of the game, and is probably mandatory on nightmare.

It'll carry you through the last quarter too!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

bewilderment posted:

It'll carry you through the last quarter too!

Yeah, and the only reason I stop using it partway through is because I run out of ammo for it.

The stun gun is good.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Stun gun is easily one of the best weapons in the entire game. Early on it just seemed like slightly different and less convenient GLOO gun when it came to handling enemies, but upgrades quickly turn it into an incredible beast. I wish I'd known prior to endgame that the Q-Beam and Stun Gun can be upgraded to be like 8x ammo efficient, because I could've leaned on them for the entire game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, what's the point of using GLOO in combat? I just couldn't find any combat use for it at all.

Sure it would let me stun an enemy so I can get close and smack them but the time it takes the GLOO Gun to stun a Phantom could just as well be used to just run up to them and smack them instead.
Either way you get only one hit since the GLOO falls off them when you hit them.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rinkles posted:

I "prepared" by setting up the turrets you find in the top room.

...oops. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jack Trades posted:

Either way you get only one hit since the GLOO falls off them when you hit them.

With the wrench you can get a fully charged up hit though, and hitting a stuck enemy with anything already does additional damage. Also you usually have tons of gloo ammo.

The problem is that gloo doesn't stop their stupid magic attacks. If it did, it would be a lot more useful.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Gloo is good because you get a poo poo load of ammo for it. I didn't like the silenced pistol very much, but you better believe it'd be my primary weapon if I found a magazine on 1/5 of the dead bodies on the station like you do gloo canisters.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlyphGryph posted:

With the wrench you can get a fully charged up hit though, and hitting a stuck enemy with anything already does additional damage. Also you usually have tons of gloo ammo.

The problem is that gloo doesn't stop their stupid magic attacks. If it did, it would be a lot more useful.

In my experience it's way better to pop the disrupter and wildly flail your wrench at an enemy than it is to actually charge up attacks when they're glood.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of which, what's the point of using GLOO in combat? I just couldn't find any combat use for it at all.

Sure it would let me stun an enemy so I can get close and smack them but the time it takes the GLOO Gun to stun a Phantom could just as well be used to just run up to them and smack them instead.

gloo a phantom and stick a recycler on it.

or lift it, apply gloo, and wait a little.

either way, lots of fun.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

It's really useful for mimics, you can 2-shot a GLOO'd mimic and it at least stops the stronger ones from skittering around. Also on Voltaic phantoms since they can't be stunned.

And like others said, the overabundance of ammo makes it worth using some of the time

Stunning enemies on harder difficulty is extremely good, but I never had to bother on Normal

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Dunno, Metro: Last Light would probably like to have a word. I don't have arachnophobia and it still managed to gently caress me up.

Those spiders didnt really feel like spiders to me. I don't remember them ever climbing on walls. They're good enemies though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GLOO is also a really good way of getting out of combat with something you don't want to fight.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
lol all right game, maybe I should have set you to a higher difficulty. Spoilered just in case, I really don't want to ruin any of this for people who haven't played it before 'cause it's a dang great game.

I've just arrived at the Cargo Bay and it's the bit where you have to go gather up turrets to establish a defense against what the game wants you to believe is a big scary Typhon threat that has the place on lockdown. I go do that, set the turrets up, and all the survivors start psyching themselves up for this big battle that's going to determine their survival, this is it, do or die, etc.

So I saunter up to the door, punch in the code, then take out an excessively upgraded Q-beam and as soon as it opens I just hold down M1 and sort of drag it in a line whereupon every Typhon on the other side explodes like a line of green firecrackers. I don't think any of them even made it through the doorway. And I got a cheevo for it! Honestly at this point I'm starting to feel kind of bad for the Typhon, and part of me suspects that's actually the point.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

lol all right game, maybe I should have set you to a higher difficulty. Spoilered just in case, I really don't want to ruin any of this for people who haven't played it before 'cause it's a dang great game.

I've just arrived at the Cargo Bay and it's the bit where you have to go gather up turrets to establish a defense against what the game wants you to believe is a big scary Typhon threat that has the place on lockdown. I go do that, set the turrets up, and all the survivors start psyching themselves up for this big battle that's going to determine their survival, this is it, do or die, etc.

So I saunter up to the door, punch in the code, then take out an excessively upgraded Q-beam and as soon as it opens I just hold down M1 and sort of drag it in a line whereupon every Typhon on the other side explodes like a line of green firecrackers. I don't think any of them even made it through the doorway. And I got a cheevo for it! Honestly at this point I'm starting to feel kind of bad for the Typhon, and part of me suspects that's actually the point.

i did that too and i somehow ended up blowing up a bunch of the survivors

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can change the difficulty at any time in the options.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whee! I found a PC DLC code for $3 online and now I'm gonna do a funny Russian Morgan//Typhon playthrough where I just make bad Boris//Natasha jokes and only use golden guns.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyHuG1ks04A

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I just got this game and started playing it and it is amazing. I'm at the part just after I got to my office and I'm going in blind as I can be. I'm thinking of doing some backtracking to the beginning to pick up any stuff I missed, but I want to get some more neuromods for lifting and repairing However.... games like this often have 'trap' options in character advancement and I'd like to avoid those. So, from a playing the game well perspective is there something I should know? I rushed the scientist trait that lets you recover more stuff from corpses because that seemed important and I'm beginning to have second thoughts on that (because for some reason they're not automatically stacking in my inventory when I pick them up so I have to do it myself).

My only problem with the game is that it's occasionally making my laptop crash or the screen freezes up, mostly whenever I quit the game or tab out, and that's a real pain in the rear end. I'd look into that more, but like I said I'm trying to avoid learning stuff so I guess I'll just suck it up and deal with it.

edit: I'm also on the fence about starting over on hard instead of normal, but I hate combat in first person shooter games. I kind of want to do this because I have the feeling I should've been taking notes from the beginning about places to go back to just so I don't forget. I'm a whore for exploring in games like this.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ithle01 posted:

I just got this game and started playing it and it is amazing. I'm at the part just after I got to my office and I'm going in blind as I can be. I'm thinking of doing some backtracking to the beginning to pick up any stuff I missed, but I want to get some more neuromods for lifting and repairing However.... games like this often have 'trap' options in character advancement and I'd like to avoid those. So, from a playing the game well perspective is there something I should know? I rushed the scientist trait that lets you recover more stuff from corpses because that seemed important and I'm beginning to have second thoughts on that (because for some reason they're not automatically stacking in my inventory when I pick them up so I have to do it myself).

My only problem with the game is that it's occasionally making my laptop crash or the screen freezes up, mostly whenever I quit the game or tab out, and that's a real pain in the rear end. I'd look into that more, but like I said I'm trying to avoid learning stuff so I guess I'll just suck it up and deal with it.

There's no giant traps and you'll have plenty of neuromods as you go through the game - not enough for everything, but enough for everything you really want.

The only thing I'd make sure of is making sure you have a solid actual strategy for dealing with enemies - e.g. are you going guns? Something else? Saving up for gnarly psychic powers?

Also the most important thing to pick up is the Stun Gun (which you can backtrack for if you haven't picked it up) and dumping your gun upgrades into it is Very Good, especially the upgrades that let it shoot more on a single charge.