Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if you can't reason out that a pike is basically the reductio ad absurdam of the spear, without even having seen one in use, then smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I just realised that Lindybeige is the MilHist equivalent of Sargon of Akkad. Idiot guy with a youtube channel who speaks authoritatively in a British accent which makes his opinions sound much more important than they actually are. They both have the same allergy to actual research, too.

HEY GAIL posted:

which reminds me, i just read a thing that said that commanders preferred lots of pikemen for a charge, or to storm a breach, not only because pikes were better for that than muskets but because the pikemen were often the more experienced soldiers, and therefore more spirited attackers

Interestingly i've seen quotes from soldiers who fought at D-Day that the opposite was true there - the fact that most of the US troops storming the beaches hadn't seen combat before allowed them to take risks they never would have done a few years later.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kemper Boyd posted:

I really hope you watched his videos about why tank platoons have four tanks because of Biotruths.

Please expand...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

Please expand...
well you see, there are male tanks and female tanks, and

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

Interestingly i've seen quotes from soldiers who fought at D-Day that the opposite was true there - the fact that most of the US troops storming the beaches hadn't seen combat before allowed them to take risks they never would have done a few years later.
that is interesting--i wonder what accounts for the difference?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I too derive all of my historical knowledge from playing rome total war and really if you think about it phalanxes beat legions all the time the greeks obviously just didn't know how to use them properly you just have to park them in a line between the buildings and all the romans come and run onto the pikes and die it's easy god how could you not get that stupid greeks.

HEY GAIL posted:

that is interesting--i wonder what accounts for the difference?

I figure with hand to hand fighting you might believe you can drive off the enemy or beat them in a fight, at least, if you get stuck in. Whereas with machineguns you don't develop an increasing sense of your resistance to bullets. Veteran troops in WW2 are people who have probably seen shitloads of their mates die through lack of caution.

Also formation fighting maybe? You want to get the whole formation of pikes into the fray whereas WW2 involves more small team fighting giving more room for individual caution, where you very definitely don't want to commit everyone at once until you know you're not walking into an enemy enfilade.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 31, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

OwlFancier posted:

I too derive all of my historical knowledge from playing rome total war and really if you think about it phalanxes beat legions all the time the greeks obviously just didn't know how to use them properly you just have to park them in a line between the buildings and all the romans come and run onto the pikes and die it's easy god how could you not get that stupid greeks.

pffft, amateur, you don't need buildings, you can just corner camp, that way nobody can ever flank you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I don't know if D-Day's a really good example. What else are you going to do besides run up the incredibly exposed beach to a sand wall while dodging raking fire from various machine guns set up in bunkers and trenches?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, they were the early-modern equivalent of suppressible fire. You use the threat of the pikes to hold an enemy formation in place while your maneuver element (armed with swords) flanks them and does the real killing.
[/notserious]

Asking the people who actually know how this works: if an enemy force tried to actually use this tactic against you, what would you end up doing to counter it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

Asking the people who actually know how this works: if an enemy force tried to actually use this tactic against you, what would you end up doing to counter it?
the people attempting to flank sound like a very small group and smaller groups are more vulnerable. Remain in a defensive posture and attempt to pick them off.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

[tercio voice] what's a flank?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

[tercio voice] what's a flank?
:goleft::hf::spain:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

MikeCrotch posted:

How many US units or even Allied units would have combat experience prior to d-day? Pacific theatre I assume doesn't contrivute, only Italian and African theatre troops would have combat experience but I think that the Italian front wouldn't contribute in the same vein as the Pacific theatre, you have only the men from the African campaign.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you're taking personal experience with naval landings yeah not much but there was tons of institutional knowledge by that point. USMC advisors were three for dday and the Army had five plenty in the pacific as well.

If you're talking general combat plenty of people who has been doing that as well in m Africa and Italy. More raw soldiers of course but that experience was there in places.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also happy 100th panache deli.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That should be a Paschendelle but the autocorrect is funny.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sicily Landings helped somewhat in terms of what happens when your air/naval assets don't cooperate successfully.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cyrano4747 posted:

panache deli.

landsknecht cake?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

HEY GAIL posted:

he does not believe pikes were used to stab

How in the actual gently caress could a person believe this? "Ah yes, this sixteen foot pole with a sharp metal point is definitely not for poking people far away" has to be the dumbest take. What does he think they were used for?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FishFood posted:

How in the actual gently caress could a person believe this? "Ah yes, this sixteen foot pole with a sharp metal point is definitely not for poking people far away" has to be the dumbest take. What does he think they were used for?

Clubs

Specifically, Pole Vaulting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Clubs

what?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

FishFood posted:

Well you see, historical texts speak of "push of pike" and that means its just a shoving match of haft against haft.

Obviously.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

like a scrum in rugby

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sports clubs?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're talking general combat plenty of people who has been doing that as well in m Africa and Italy. More raw soldiers of course but that experience was there in places.

Also, of course, and as discussed earlier in this thread, all the British guys who got out from Dunkirk...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Max Hastings has a bit in his Normandy/France books covering experience - it seems that units got better with experience as their fieldcraft and knowledge of enemy tactics improved, but then there's invariably a point that Allied commanders noticed where experience causes effectiveness to drop off a cliff as soldiers realise they've had too many close calls and lost too many friends and stop being willing to take risks to take the fight to the enemy.

I'm pulling a number out of the air here, but my recollection was that a rule of thumb was that a division was at it's peak after 8 weeks of combat experience, and then could be expected to get worse.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Clubs

No, they're for Clubbing, and specifically Pole dancing. Get it right! :argh:

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
The US first division constituted the first wave on Omaha beach, probably the most experienced formation the US army had at the time of D-Day. Was involved in amphibious invasion of North Africa and Sicily and fighting all along the way. This formation was specifically selected because it was the most experienced.

There were definitely cases of inexperienced soldiers doing extremely brave/stupid poo poo based on their inexperience but I would pick an experienced formation over an inexperienced one every time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chillyrabbit posted:

How many US units or even Allied units would have combat experience prior to d-day? Pacific theatre I assume doesn't contrivute, only Italian and African theatre troops would have combat experience but I think that the Italian front wouldn't contribute in the same vein as the Pacific theatre, you have only the men from the African campaign.

feedmegin posted:

Also, of course, and as discussed earlier in this thread, all the British guys who got out from Dunkirk...
Churchill apparently specifically requested that the Desert Rats be sent to Normandy.

They were apparently criticised (at least initially) for not being very aggressive, probably because they'd fought through North Africa and weren't too keen at being put into yet another major campaign.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No, they're for Clubbing, and specifically Pole dancing. Get it right! :argh:

:negative:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

MikeCrotch posted:

I just realised that Lindybeige is the MilHist equivalent of Sargon of Akkad. Idiot guy with a youtube channel who speaks authoritatively in a British accent which makes his opinions sound much more important than they actually are. They both have the same allergy to actual research, too.

I thought for a bit you meant that the actual Sargon of Akkad was meant to have been a goony motherfucker by ancient sources or something and was very confused

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One of the things i've read about ACW assault combat is that they had to really work to get the men to keep moving rather than stopping to shoot when assaulting because the temptation with a firearm is to want to use it and be safer so I suppose it makes sense if you're a pikeman the only way is forward.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kemper Boyd posted:

I really hope you watched his videos about why tank platoons have four tanks because of Biotruths.

Whaaaaaa

Please tell me Linda McBeige hasn't talked about naval history or else I might just strangle him before HEY GAL gets a chance.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 31, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

And probably a reasonable proportion of the expat regiments who fought as part of the British army.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Panzeh posted:

One of the things i've read about ACW assault combat is that they had to really work to get the men to keep moving rather than stopping to shoot when assaulting because the temptation with a firearm is to want to use it and be safer so I suppose it makes sense if you're a pikeman the only way is forward.
Not to mention that a musketeer can only cause physical damage to the enemy (unless he's clubbing you over the head with it) at most twice a minute. At every other time he's not only incapable of attacking, he's preoccupied with the intricacies of his task. He's vulnerable. A pikeman has a much shorter effective "range" but within that range, he can attack as quickly as his arms can stab.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So there's an anecdote from Guadalcanal that involves two RNZN corvettes, a Japanese submarine, and a Japanese swordsman. Is this old news to the thread, or...?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So there's an anecdote from Guadalcanal that involves two RNZN corvettes, a Japanese submarine, and a Japanese swordsman. Is this old news to the thread, or...?

Continue. Even if it weren't news it would be worth repeating.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Churchill apparently specifically requested that the Desert Rats be sent to Normandy.

They were apparently criticised (at least initially) for not being very aggressive, probably because they'd fought through North Africa and weren't too keen at being put into yet another major campaign.

Strange, because afaik British armour had learned nothing and continued to charge into AT fields in Normandy.

tbh the Germans did the same thing right back at them. The biggest tank battle in Normandy was a goofy fizzle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Panzeh posted:

You see this earlier, too. I recall the assaults on Redoubts 9 and 10 at Yorktown were done with unloaded muskets for this very reason - or maybe loaded but with strict orders not to reload? Either way, the gist was that the officers understood that reloading took time and they needed to close distance so it was hand to hand all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FishFood posted:

Serious answer: His theory is that the first rank of a pike formation would die "instantly" once it moved into range (because apparently they wore armour only for funsies), so pike formations would just never actually attack each other. They'd just sort of amble up until they were almost in range and then just kind of stand there awkwardly waving their dicks at each other. And apparently the only reason why anybody used pikes in the first place was the hope that the enemy would just up and break in the face of a serious-looking (but not actually serious) charge, like with a bayonet charge in napoleonic warfare.

He figured all that out from watching (apparently pretty garbage) re-enactors and talking to one of them once.