Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Okay yeah those photos are bad and I would love to believe that he specifically found a model and talked her into a Mcdonald's themed shoot but this was more than likely her idea. It looks like one of those cheesy senior portrait sessions that some folks love to do in addition to the standard posed ones you give to grandma. I can't really fault her, she looks like she's having fun whether it's supposed to be a body positive satirical thing or just a dumb "lol I like fries" thing. Also goons should probably not make fun of moderately overweight high school students *looks pointedly at ur yearbook*

This however loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like the pre-made bokeh background.

But are you loving it?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Also goons should probably not make fun of moderately overweight high school students *looks pointedly at ur yearbook*

I'll have u know i was made fun for being scrawny and underweight. :colbert:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like the pre-made bokeh background.

me too

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Also goons should probably not make fun of moderately overweight high school students *looks pointedly at ur yearbook*

I absolutely wasn't making fun of her weight, I was just commenting on the likely thought process that went into the decision to shoot there with that model. You could make her look feminine and cool or punk and scary or whatever but they went with fast food.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helen Highwater posted:

I absolutely wasn't making fun of her weight, I was just commenting on the likely thought process that went into the decision to shoot there with that model. You could make her look feminine and cool or punk and scary or whatever but they went with fast food.

Her weight is a legitimate source of criticism, not because she's overweight, but because of the nature of the shoot. Who would care if the same girl had a typically cliched shoot in a field, throwing up daisies? But it's McDonald's and loving French fries.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Well yes, that was the entire point that I was making (apparently not very well).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:btroll:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helen Highwater posted:

Well yes, that was the entire point that I was making (apparently not very well).

Sorry, I was responding to the other guy, and agreeing with you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
You guys know I was joking about the making fun of her for being fat right? I don't think anyone's being mean I'm just saying the photographer probably didn't come up with this concept since there is no goddamn way a parent is gonna pay for a fast food themed shoot unless their kid talked them into it.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Dear reddit, why is everyone acting like I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who ruins customer-friendly return policies? Also, what's return fraud?

Some rear end in a top hat on reddit posted:

Sorry about the throwaway account but I don't want to risk any sort of retaliation against my real account as I know that there are a lot of die hard B&H fans on this subreddit (formerly myself included).
I've been a BH Photo customer for almost 10 years and I have spent 10s of thousands of dollars over the years with them.

I purchased many Nikon lenses from them including many very expensive professional lenses such as:
Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70, Nikon 70-200, Nikon 24 Tilt Shift, Nikon 35 1.4, Nikon 50 1.4, Nikon 50 1.2, Nikon 85 1.4, and even a Nikon 300 2.8.

Recently I sold all of my Nikon equipment (some of it to B&H) and switched systems.

After selling all of my Nikon gear I had somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 dollars to build my new kit.

Building an entirely new kit from scratch requires a lot of ordering and presumably returning so I ordered everything from B&H in large part due to their fantastic customer support and excellent return policy.

There are no longer any good local dealers near me aside from Best Buy so I was unable to easily see or test many of the lenses I was interested in in person so I was forced to buy everything essentially blind. Because of this and in addition to Sony's crummy quality control I obviously returned a lot of stuff to them.

I purchased a Sony A7RII and a GFX50S. I eventually settled on the A7RII as the image quality of the GFX was not better enough to justify the much higher price.

After much buying and returning I finally settled on a new kit consisting of 5 lenses and an A7RII totaling almost $10,000.

All was well and good until last week when I tried to return a camera bag which turned out to be too big for my needs. They denied my return citing a very high return rate.

I called their customer service line and talked to supervisor who explained the situation to me. I understood exactly what he was talking about and honestly I wasn't really that mad. It just annoyed me that they were essentially punishing me for violating a rule that isn't written any where; in fact quite the opposite what is written is on this page is: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp "If you are dissatisfied with your purchase for any reason, you may return it to B&H within 30 days of the purchase date, subject to the conditions and exclusions below." Reading the whole page nowhere does it say that they may deny your return if they feel you are returning too much.

After talking to the supervisor he told me how much I had bought and returned and admittedly my rate was very high but I only did it based on the statements on their return page and past positive experiences with their customer service I didn't think there was a potential that this could happen.

Had I realized that they had such a policy in place I obviously wouldn't have returned so much.

I understand that the reason for this hidden blacklist is in order to prevent people from "renting" stuff from them but that is not what I was doing as the fact that I ended up keeping 5 lenses and a camera body shows.

Regardless what's done is done and I just wanted to share this experience with everyone in order to prevent someone else from running the risk of loosing the ability to return things to B&H.

Bolding mine. Had he realized they had policies in place to prevent return fraud he'd obviously be more subtle about committing it. That's his takeaway from this incident.

And what's returning "a lot" you might ask?

quote:

3 cameras, 7 or 8 lenses

This rear end in a top hat is upset and complaining on reddit because he's no longer allow to "rent" tens of thousands of dollars worth of camera gear for free, turning all that gear from new to used in the process. In the thread he tries to compare what he does to test driving a car, or having someone inspect a house before purchasing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/6qkjws/psa_think_twice_before_returning_anything_to_bh/?st=j5rjowyy&sh=f0855d04

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If you're building a 10,000 dollar kit, why not just spend the extra 50-100 bucks a day to rent the lenses you want to try out?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

change my name posted:

If you're building a 10,000 dollar kit, why not just spend the extra 50-100 bucks a day to rent the lenses you want to try out?

Why do that when you can abuse return policies?

I feel like I've seen youtube camera/lens reviews where they mention they are going to return the stuff after they are done with their video.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People with ten thousand dollars to burn on a hobby they're probably bad at tend to act Iike the world exists to serve them.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I see the force is strong with this one.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I see the force is strong with this one.

She's turned off her targeting focusing computer!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doggles posted:

Dear reddit, why is everyone acting like I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who ruins customer-friendly return policies? Also, what's return fraud?

Bolding mine. Had he realized they had policies in place to prevent return fraud he'd obviously be more subtle about committing it. That's his takeaway from this incident.

And what's returning "a lot" you might ask?

This rear end in a top hat is upset and complaining on reddit because he's no longer allow to "rent" tens of thousands of dollars worth of camera gear for free, turning all that gear from new to used in the process. In the thread he tries to compare what he does to test driving a car, or having someone inspect a house before purchasing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/6qkjws/psa_think_twice_before_returning_anything_to_bh/?st=j5rjowyy&sh=f0855d04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
"Dear Reddit, the all-you-can-eat restaurant made me leave when they closed for the night. Nowhere in any policy of theirs does it say the 'all' I am capable of eating has to be during business hours. Don't want anyone else to get burned by this hidden arbitrariness."

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Zero One posted:

From PYF AUG:
So here's another photo in the series that didn't get posted:

The photographer's facebook indicates this girl was charged $65 for this senior photo session.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The watermark looks exactly like the ones that I keep seeing in sponsored posts in my Facebook feed for some company that offers watermark designs for photographers. The ad goes 'Even if you hate watermarks and never want to see another one, you'l LOVE these!' Er, no. No Facebook, I won't.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Revisit to a Redditor from a couple weeks back, he's still out there giving advice which is hilarious considering his recent posts shared on here:

"There is such a thing as too much gear"

AKA "Mom and Dad got mad and made me send it all back"

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I mean he's not wrong, he's just not right for the correct reasons.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

I mean he's not wrong, he's just not right for the correct reasons.

Indeed.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

People with ten thousand dollars to burn on a hobby they're probably bad at tend to act Iike the world exists to serve them.

I've probably burned 10k on photography poo poo over the years. I'm definitely no good at it. :sigh:

akadajet fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 1, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

akadajet posted:

I've probably burned 10k on photography poo poo over the years. I'm definitely no good at it. :sigh:

:same:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've spent $180 dollars in this hobby.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've spent $180 dollars in this hobby.

:brandishes pinhole camera made from discarded shoebox: Come at me bro.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
*blinks eyes, makes camera shutter sound with mouth*

It's all stored in my minds eye, you techno-sluts.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

*blinks eyes, makes camera shutter sound with mouth*

It's all stored in my minds eye, you techno-sluts.

Your little avatar seems to be imitating this very thing.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've sold a few greeting cards, time to go all in with this
https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/73vyfz/i_currently_use_my_travel_photos_to_make_products/

This is the same guy we've commented on a few times in this thread already. Here's his 500px site: https://500px.com/chrismohindrooart

This guy is on the spectrum, right? If it wasn't for him admitting to some bizarre poop fetish in his past comments I'd almost believe he's a primitive AI given the weird way he forms his thoughts.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The guy is definitely not in the same dimension as the rest of us. Internet diagnoses are generally a bad idea but I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the spectrum. I used to hang out on a forum where the infamous Ulilillia used to post. He had a lot of the same 'tells' and posting tics as this guy.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/73vyfz/i_currently_use_my_travel_photos_to_make_products/

This is the same guy we've commented on a few times in this thread already. Here's his 500px site: https://500px.com/chrismohindrooart

This guy is on the spectrum, right? If it wasn't for him admitting to some bizarre poop fetish in his past comments I'd almost believe he's a primitive AI given the weird way he forms his thoughts.

I'm sure that seeking venture capital funds is a great idea.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Which one of you is this?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/crg/6325522565.html

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

InternetJunky posted:

This dude fell down a rabbit hole for something he could do on Etsy

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

This dude fell down a rabbit hole for something he could do on Etsy

That's kind of his thing though. He first appeared in this thread because he had an Indiegogo campaign to raise money so that he could rent a $50k Hasselblad for his family trip to a park, with a 5d4 as a backup body for 'pictures that weren't worth using the medium format camera'. His gear rental list was basically a full range of top-of-the-line stuff with a retail value close to $200k.

He's fixated on a weird vision of what he thinks a successful photographer should be and that apparently includes a retail storefront in a local mall. He's also at a super fundamentalist Christian university and posts about his scat fetish under his real name.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

He's fixated on a weird vision of what he thinks a successful photographer should be and that apparently includes a retail storefront in a local mall. He's also at a super fundamentalist Christian university and posts about his scat fetish under his real name.

In all fairness, Thomas Kinkade was apparently into piss "ritual territory marking", and it worked out OK for him. It's all in the marketing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“Helen Highwater”" post="“477009574”"]
That’s kind of his thing though. He first appeared in this thread because he had an Indiegogo campaign to raise money so that he could rent a $50k Hasselblad for his family trip to a park, with a 5d4 as a backup body for ‘pictures that weren’t worth using the medium format camera’. His gear rental list was basically a full range of top-of-the-line stuff with a retail value close to $200k.

He’s fixated on a weird vision of what he thinks a successful photographer should be and that apparently includes a retail storefront in a local mall. He’s also at a super fundamentalist Christian university and posts about his scat fetish under his real name.
[/quote]

Oh drat, I didn't realize it was the same guy. That makes a lot more sense now.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He was also planning on going balls deep into a large format set up, both 4x5 and 8x10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

polyester concept posted:

He was also planning on going balls deep into a large format set up, both 4x5 and 8x10

His inaugural project would be the highest-resolution, most lovingly-rendered Bristol Stool Chart ever created.