Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

2house2fly posted:

The joke was conservative Victorians having a stronger reaction to two women being married than one of them being a lizard monster.

I'm mostly thinking of how they were portrayed in Deep Breath, where a running joke of the episode was Vastra hitting on Clara right in front of Jenny, to the point where the latter kept having to remind her that they were married.

That said, I'm not one of the people who hate the Paternoster Gang, they were just one-note characters who were run into the ground through overuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Vastra rubs me up the wrong way because she plays the same smug know-all notes that River Song does, but seemingly without any way of knowing half the stuff she does. River is a seasoned time traveller who knows the Doctor intimately, and we've seen a ton of those adventures on screen. Conversely, we're told Vastra is the world's greatest detective and knows the Doctor well enough to know what he's going to do, think, react, etc. But we're just supposed to jump on board in the middle of all that without being shown any of it, and just take it at face value that here's this brilliant long time friend we've never seen before. She's Poochie.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Vastra rubs me up the wrong way because she plays the same smug know-all notes that River Song does, but seemingly without any way of knowing half the stuff she does. River is a seasoned time traveller who knows the Doctor intimately, and we've seen a ton of those adventures on screen. Conversely, we're told Vastra is the world's greatest detective and knows the Doctor well enough to know what he's going to do, think, react, etc. But we're just supposed to jump on board in the middle of all that without being shown any of it, and just take it at face value that here's this brilliant long time friend we've never seen before. She's Poochie.

I still maintain that the first part of Deep Breath is about how Vastra is wrong about basically everything. (I'm not 100% convinced that even Moffat realizes this is what it's about.)

e. The key to this is in that oft-maligned bit where she insists that yes, of course dinosaurs were really that size (when lol, no they weren't), she was there so she knows better than everyone else. She's just told us that she was a child the last time she saw one. And when you're a child, you don't think of yourself as small, you think of everything around you as huge. She basically puts way too much faith in her own perceptions without critically assessing whether they actually square with the real world.

Keep this in mind when she's telling Clara to blindly trust that the Doctor is perfect and blameless and holy and that she needs to get over herself and her own misgivings.

I've thought way too much about this.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 31, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Conversely, we're told Vastra is the world's greatest detective and knows the Doctor well enough to know what he's going to do, think, react, etc. But we're just supposed to jump on board in the middle of all that without being shown any of it, and just take it at face value that here's this brilliant long time friend we've never seen before. She's Poochie.

They definitely overdo this stuff with Vastra but I like the core idea of her and Strax where the Doctor has these friends that we don't meet until later into those friendships because, well, of course he does. He's very old and has all these off screen adventures, it makes sense that we'll meet some of these friends later into their relationships with him

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I like Strax a lot. He's a one joke character, sure, but it's a really good joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The main thing I remember about "Deep Breath" was a discussion in the relevant thread about how Vastra obviously fantasises about eating Jenny (no pun intended) when she's having sex with her. It was a pretty weird discussion.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

They definitely overdo this stuff with Vastra but I like the core idea of her and Strax where the Doctor has these friends that we don't meet until later into those friendships because, well, of course he does. He's very old and has all these off screen adventures, it makes sense that we'll meet some of these friends later into their relationships with him

Yeah, I agree with this. I also liked that the Doctor already knew Churchill when we first saw them together, because, well, of course he would.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

The main thing I remember about "Deep Breath" was a discussion in the relevant thread about how Vastra obviously fantasises about eating Jenny (no pun intended) when she's having sex with her. It was a pretty weird discussion.

This is exactly why they don't work for me; their relationship comes across as inherently fetishistic, and while that's great and all, it's a weird, creepy fit for a family show.

That, and the way Vastra was introduced was dumb, with the whole 'sit here, only answer what you're asked, don't say anything else' thing. Clara should have told her to gently caress off and walked out the room from minute one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
To be brutally honest what would have saved seasons 8 and 9 would have been "he's alone and scared Clara, please help him" "No."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This morning on another forum (so take with perhaps more than a few grains of salt), I read that the BBC actually did offer Kris Marshall the role and he quit Death In Paradise to accept it, then it was deliberately leaked and the Beeb were very surprised not to get the reception they expected or wanted, so they shifted gears and let Chibnall (who always wanted a woman and probably always wanted Whittaker) to go in the direction he wanted instead.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Any evidence for that?

Where did rumours of The Marshall Plan come from again anyway? Everyone seemed so certain it'd be him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stabbatical posted:

Any evidence for that?

No, it was literally "my mate who works at the Beeb" so that's why I said to take with a pinch of salt. I repeat it because it certainly feels plausible to me, though obviously that's hardly confirmation. It would seem to suggest that "the Beeb wants Tennant 2.0" and "the Beeb have been planning for a woman Doctor for ages" could conceivably both be true.

quote:

Where did rumours of The Marshall Plan come from again anyway? Everyone seemed so certain it'd be him.

I believe he was always a contender, then him leaving Death In Paradise and moving back to the UK shortly after Capaldi's departure was announced seemed to compound the impression, followed by the "Has Kris Marshall just been announced as the new Doctor?" speculation in the press leading to betting being closed on him fairly early on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is also the horrible possibility of him being a companion or the new rassilion or Master.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Christ, he'd make a lovely Master.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is exactly why they don't work for me; their relationship comes across as inherently fetishistic, and while that's great and all, it's a weird, creepy fit for a family show.

The thing that's making you say "this is why" is a discussion by hosed up goons about something that isn't actually in the show at all.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It might be a good thing for the first female Doctor to have scripts originally written for a man Doctor, in terms of reducing the chance of it going really horribly wrong.

e: It would be cool if Big Finish were allowed to do Unbound audios with Paterson Joseph and Kris Marshall, in "things that will never happen" dreams.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 31, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

There is also the horrible possibility of him being a companion or the new rassilion or Master.

I'm sure anyone who thinks Marshall was robbed can take solace in the fact that Jodie Whittaker will probably be paid a lot less by the BBC than he would have been. :v:

(More seriously, I think it's sort of amusing that for all the grousing and whinging about Whittaker being cast, I don't think I saw a single moaner complaining that Marshall was robbed or that it should have been Kris Marshall.)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

(More seriously, I think it's sort of amusing that for all the grousing and whinging about Whittaker being cast, I don't think I saw a single moaner complaining that Marshall was robbed or that it should have been Kris Marshall.)

Stay away from Outpost Gallifrey if you want to keep it that way.

Of course, "stay away from Outpost Gallifrey" is pretty good advice generally

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Box of Bunnies posted:

Stay away from Outpost Gallifrey if you want to keep it that way.

Oh, really? Is it people who really wanted Kris Marshall to play the Doctor or just people who don't want Jodie Whittaker?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The rumour was always that the BBC were looking for a handsome dashing Doctor to pick back up all the audience who left with Capaldi as Doctor.

So I have no idea why anyone thought noted ugly man Kris Marshall fit that description.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

marktheando posted:

The rumour was always that the BBC were looking for a handsome dashing Doctor to pick back up all the audience who left with Capaldi as Doctor.

So I have no idea why anyone thought noted ugly man Kris Marshall fit that description.

My sister's husband looks like Marshall. I guess that look appeals to some people. :shrug:

Also that logic is terrible because no one was watching Sherlock by the end either and that always had actors who had looks that appealed to people... almost as if it was some other element common to the two shows instead...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
According to Marshall, he just didn't want to keep spending 6 months every year away from his family. Which absolutely makes sense to me.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-28/kris-marshall-says-goodbye-to-death-in-paradise--and-explains-why-he-had-to-leave

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

According to Marshall, he just didn't want to keep spending 6 months every year away from his family. Which absolutely makes sense to me.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-28/kris-marshall-says-goodbye-to-death-in-paradise--and-explains-why-he-had-to-leave

Yeah, it's a huge drag being away from your kids. Although "I'm sick of spending six months a year in Guadeloupe" is one of the nicer problems a person can have.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sure anyone who thinks Marshall was robbed can take solace in the fact that Jodie Whittaker will probably be paid a lot less by the BBC than he would have been. :v:

I have no idea how much they hypothetically would've paid Marshall, but I did read that she's getting paid exactly as much as they were paying Capaldi. Though what she's going to do with all those old knock-knacks from the classic show I'll never know.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've started watching Broadchurch.

It's good, and also is more evidence for my theory that there are only ten English actors and eight of them are actually Scottish.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There was the Crimson Horror though.

:ohdear:: In the wrong hands, that venom could wipe out all life on this planet!
:smug:: Do you know what these are? The wrong hands! :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Is 10 really more self centered and arrogant than 6

Part of that wasn't his fault, the poison really hosed up his regeneration and left him unstable. It took a while, but it finally started settling down around Trial. By then I'd say he was closer to early One in assholery.

Ten was just a glib emo sociopath from the get go and never really evolved past it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That, and the way Vastra was introduced was dumb, with the whole 'sit here, only answer what you're asked, don't say anything else' thing. Clara should have told her to gently caress off and walked out the room from minute one.

I mean, the whole thing was a mistress/slave relationship, so whatever makes the two of them happy.

I happened to like the "one word" scene---especially Jenny's wide eyed "holy poo poo she's actually going to pass" encouraging nod on the last question.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

docbeard posted:

I've started watching Broadchurch.

It's good, and also is more evidence for my theory that there are only ten English actors and eight of them are actually Scottish.

This is me but watching State Of Play. Hey look, it's everyone. Everyone is in this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean, the whole thing was a mistress/slave relationship, so whatever makes the two of them happy.

I happened to like the "one word" scene---especially Jenny's wide eyed "holy poo poo she's actually going to pass" encouraging nod on the last question.

I loved that scene, Vastra insisting that lies are words words while truth can be boiled down to a single word, then giving this speech about how the Doctor keeps to himself and isn't kind, "do you understand what I'm saying?" and Clara responds "Words."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

marktheando posted:

I kind of love that, in a thread (and fanbase) that's known to have so many widely differing opinions, we finally found something to agree on. And it's that Kris Marshall would have made for an AWFUL Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

I kind of love that, in a thread (and fanbase) that's known to have so many widely differing opinions, we finally found something to agree on. And it's that Kris Marshall would have made for an AWFUL Doctor.

I'm sure he would've be fine but underwhelming.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I don't know who Kris Marshall is. I googled him and he looks fine.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ian Levine is a fat version of Professor Frink, basically.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I miss RTD.

I hope he's doing well.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sure he would've be fine but underwhelming.

All I can think is "Tennant/Smith but not quite as good", which doesn't mean bad, but eh. Ehh. Ehhhhhhh.

NuWho's had five great actors as The Doctor who've been various levels of happy, grim, manic, and thoughtful. There really isn't much more they can do to explore the character with a male actor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Chokes McGee posted:

it's well acted boisterous bullshit
It sounds like bullshit if you're listening and it ONLY worked because of a complete coincidence of the Doctor mourning someone literally named Pond, which know one else knew about. The entire scene feels like had a "clever" punchline and forced it to happen despite making no sense whatsoever.

Like if it's not bullshit and the writer knew it why has Vastra never made anyone speak in single words again.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it's well acted boisterous bullshit
The entire scene feels like had a "clever" punchline and forced it to happen despite making no sense whatsoever.

A fitting epitaph for Moffat's Who.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

*an idea is repeated* this idea is being run into the ground

*an idea is not repeated* this idea is bullshit or it would have been repeated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you believed that post and vastra's speech you would have expressed it in a single word

• Locked thread