Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

loquacius posted:

I mean there is the distinct possibility that the post calling him a good dem was not meant entirely seriously

possible

I am kinda sleepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought the Obama era got rid of all the Blue Dogs.

:shh: they're all blue dogs

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

summary: "maybe the left is just too mad about racism, inequality, and fascism, and is engaging in masochistic self-punishment rather than real political activism. maybe they could be more effective if they stopped hating America and exercised more forgiveness toward bankers, neo-Nazis, KKK members and other 'sinners' that offend the intolerant left's dogmatic sensibilities"

Joementum posted:

I'm sure this will receive proportionate outrage to the Heath Mellow situation.

https://twitter.com/bkamisar/status/892024701970731012

the question is "outrage from who"

I'm sure NARAL is still gonna be mad about it, but it probably won't get much traction on bad Dem twitter, and without the party infighting angle to drive clicks it's doubtful the media will bother to cover it

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i don't really see why the dccc should put a litmus test on anyone for any belief. if you won the primary and you aren't like, hitler or something, you should be eligible for funding without regard for ideology

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

loquacius posted:

It's kind of hilarious to me that abortion rights are as core a belief as the Democratic party has and they can't even agree on that

The party is falling apart at the seams

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

"Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future" is a better slogan than the first one they came up with.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

dems should have gone with "Bold March into the Bright and Glorious People's Future"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

dems should have gone with "Bold March into the Bright and Glorious People's Future"

:yeah:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iron Twinkie posted:

Liberals are fundamentally incapable of understanding the degree to which the people that have been exploited by the system that they personally benefit from have been radicalized. Particularly millennials. We have no other context for the world other than the systematic abuses of capitalism. I'm on the tail end of being a millennial and I watched the Berlin wall fall in elementary school. The specter of communism as a boogie man means almost nothing to me. My whole life has been watching capitalism take the poor and huddled masses yearning to breath free, drilling new holes into them, and loving them to death.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I won't support pro-life Dems. It's me, I'm the social issues voter.

I couldn't imagine pro-life Tim Kaine being one heartbeat away from appointing Supreme Court justices so I voted for Jill Stein.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's almost unimaginable that an anti-choice candidate would win a primary for national office outside of an unwinnable +40 R shithole

So only 70% of the nation or thereabouts.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't really see why the dccc should put a litmus test on anyone for any belief. if you won the primary and you aren't like, hitler or something, you should be eligible for funding without regard for ideology

well, does being a Democrat actually mean anything besides what letter comes after your name and what color you'll get on the electoral maps on TV? that's the question. if membership in the Democratic party doesn't have any ideological basis beyond "anyone who's willing to run as a Dem and can win elections", then there's no reason to vote for Dems at all. vote for particular Dems that you like, sure, but there's no reason to fund or support the party as a whole. if anyone can be a Democrat, then being a Democrat is meaningless

like, why do you work for the Democratic Party? is it because you believe that they're better for the country, that their ideologies and beliefs are straight-up better for Americans? or are you just doing it because it's a career and the importance of patronage networks to political work makes it difficult for the non-rich to switch sides or be a free agent?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm sure this will receive proportionate outrage to the Heath Mellow situation.

https://twitter.com/bkamisar/status/892024701970731012

bad dems oppose single-payer bc it won't fund abortions bc of Hyde yet they continue to fund anti-abortion candidates.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Concerned Citizen posted:

holy poo poo lol

this is peak liberalism.txt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

well, does being a Democrat actually mean anything besides what letter comes after your name and what color you'll get on the electoral maps on TV?

it means not being Hitler, apparently

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

we see again that the democratic party is less an actual political party and more a lovely confused brand

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Willa Rogers posted:

bad dems oppose single-payer bc it won't fund abortions bc of Hyde yet they continue to fund anti-abortion candidates.

they care about winning. and single payer. they're both just not viable at the moment!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

holy poo poo lol

this is peak liberalism.txt

I dunno though, I'm actually ambiguous on this one because the primary is supposed to mean something too

Like, going "ok maybe you won your primary but you're Not A Real Democrat so we've decided you don't count" is basically admitting the primary process is a sham

but at the same time it'd be great if we could just agree once and for all on basic stuff like whether a woman can get such-and-such medical procedure or whether healthcare is a right etc and there isn't really any other way to enforce that

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it means not being Hitler, apparently

Wait, does that mean the party is going to start litmus testing people to make sure they aren't too hawkish?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

question: why are rando legislative policies considered set in stone when they could be changed literally whenever - Hyde amendment, Byrd rule, etc

is it one of those bullshit senate decorum things

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zegermans posted:

question: why are rando legislative policies considered set in stone when they could be changed literally whenever - Hyde amendment, Byrd rule, etc

is it one of those bullshit senate decorum things

hyde amendment is a law passed in the 70s iirc, byrd rule is stupid bullshit decorum

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Wait, does that mean the party is going to start litmus testing people to make sure they aren't too hawkish?

No, of course not.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
new guardian piece on IRONSTACHE

the writer is all in for IRONSTACHE

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Condiv posted:

they care about winning. and single payer. they're both just not viable at the moment!

it's gonna be "funny" to see them tie themselves into a knot in the coming years trying to marginalize single-payer while trying to resurrect the corpse of the non-medicaid portions of the ACA's markets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

I dunno though, I'm actually ambiguous on this one because the primary is supposed to mean something too

Like, going "ok maybe you won your primary but you're Not A Real Democrat so we've decided you don't count" is basically admitting the primary process is a sham

but at the same time it'd be great if we could just agree once and for all on basic stuff like whether a woman can get such-and-such medical procedure or whether healthcare is a right etc and there isn't really any other way to enforce that

Yeah, sure, but there should be some understanding of what Dems as a whole stand for. What's even the point of having a party if it's going to be loaded with failed Republicans trying their luck with a different organization?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GalacticAcid posted:

new guardian piece on IRONSTACHE

the writer is all in for IRONSTACHE

People are right about him being pro pipeline is lovely but I think he can go the distance and become a voice in the party. People will pay attention to the guy that sniped a prominent target like Ryan. And we really need more people making noise with Good Opinions

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Just thought of my favorite post of all time.

Mr Hootington posted:

All BBQ is better than Iowa BBQ.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The compass needle is sticking
The numbers step out of sequence
The stars here look hardly like the ones from last season
And we’ve been leaking diesel since the first freeze
You can leave the car keys in it
I’m getting out

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

it's not like these candidates are winning heavily contested primaries and winning from the right

the only primary challengers Manchin has ever faced for his Senate seat were a 95-year-old and a literal Republican

there are cases where there's no Dem candidate at all, so one of the contenders in the Republican primary pays someone to run as a Dem for strategic reasons

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

People are right about him being pro pipeline is lovely but I think he can go the distance and become a voice in the party. People will pay attention to the guy that sniped a prominent target like Ryan. And we really need more people making noise with Good Opinions

If he can't win in what by all accounts should be a blue mega-wave year, then it's probably time to hang it up and realize that the party of Trump and GOP poor-loving is the government, we as a people want.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

well, does being a Democrat actually mean anything besides what letter comes after your name and what color you'll get on the electoral maps on TV? that's the question. if membership in the Democratic party doesn't have any ideological basis beyond "anyone who's willing to run as a Dem and can win elections", then there's no reason to vote for Dems at all. vote for particular Dems that you like, sure, but there's no reason to fund or support the party as a whole. if anyone can be a Democrat, then being a Democrat is meaningless

like, why do you work for the Democratic Party? is it because you believe that they're better for the country, that their ideologies and beliefs are straight-up better for Americans? or are you just doing it because it's a career and the importance of patronage networks to political work makes it difficult for the non-rich to switch sides or be a free agent?

well there's already a standard by which we define who is allowed to be a democratic nominee: a primary. why should the national party dictate who a district is or is not allowed to run for office in a particular area? i think we do too much of that as it is, i don't think it should be extended to having the believe the right things.

yes, i agree that it "dilutes the brand" but i also think that we're a democratic country with a two party system and these kinds of 'tests' kind of short circuit the system and reduce choice

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

If he can't win in what by all accounts should be a blue mega-wave year, then it's probably time to hang it up and realize that the party of Trump and GOP poor-loving is the government, we as a people want.

I don't know Nancy "we don't need to win in 18" Pelosi seems to like her minority leader position
Even frick Trump that frickin frick can only go so far if the party insists on rolling into a ditch

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

lol that between two questions "do you think the dems will win in 2018" and "are you gonna be leader", the one nancy pelosi thinks is important to address is "are you gonna be leader?". and she addresses it with "that's so unimportant!"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/892052693317017600

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

of course. of loving course obama's inner circle is getting involved in dismantling the concept of an employee

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Just thought of my favorite post of all time.

that's not bbq, that's a human rights violation

animal rights too, no pig deserves to be turned into that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/891887526482280448

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

The entire ex Obama administration:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Condiv posted:

of course. of loving course obama's inner circle is getting involved in dismantling the concept of an employee

gotta cash out all that political capital somewhere!

• Locked thread