Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is anyone else here worried about Moon Potato? He hasn't dropped any photographic bombs in here, recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

My fiance made a friend yesterday:

:kimchi:

Looks like Bombus impatiens, the common eastern bumble bee.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MrYenko posted:

Is anyone else here worried about Moon Potato? He hasn't dropped any photographic bombs in here, recently.

Probably was taking amazing pictures of a roc... :rip:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MrYenko posted:

He posts frequently to Facebook. I think he just hasn't had the time or the inclination to check in on SA!

https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodPlanetMedia/

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Surprise! It's a toad!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
carpenter toad

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
This feels a bit like cheating since I didn't even leave the house, but here's a short clip of someone enjoying the summer rain in Denmark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J311y7Sf0Gk

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Darkman Fanpage posted:

carpenter toad

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

carpenter toad

"Measure twice, ribbit once."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So did no one notice the googly eyes under the power tool?

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

So did no one notice the googly eyes under the power tool?

My brother was making a trophy out of a plastic goose, gold spray paint, and the googly eyes. He doesn't clean up his messes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of toads, almost ran this guy over while mowing the lawn earlier. When he first jumped, I thought he was a giant cricket. Thankfully, just a small toad:

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib
To keep the toad train rolling:

They live under the ramp the leads up to the porch :3:.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of toads, almost ran this guy over while mowing the lawn earlier. When he first jumped, I thought he was a giant cricket. Thankfully, just a small toad:

The tiniest palm reader :3:

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010
I visited Angkor Wat recently and there were loads of critters hiding in the ruins and encroaching vegetation. I am completely out of my depth in Asia so any species IDs much welcomed!

Beetles

Some sort of entimine weevil. I'm not sure if that lemon yellow colouring is pollen or pubescence

Dung Beetle

I love finding longhorn beetles at the best of times but when they're so colourful too!

Millipedes:

Hymenoptera:

These ants stitch leaves together to make their nests which is pretty neat. They're farming scale insects too by the looks of it

Dragonflies:

Lepidoptera:

Spiders:

I think the orange one is a crab spider/thomisid? And the tunnel web type were all over the earthen banks and really pretty up close. The second jumping spider proudly holding its leafhopper catch is pretty :3:

Lizards:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dang, those are some nice pictures. How big were those beetles?

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Dang, those are some nice pictures. How big were those beetles?
Cheers! Though I've got to say it's mostly thanks to a forgiving camera. If anyone's looking for a simple P&S that does macro well, the Olympus TG-4 is so nice to use and doesn't spend ages focus hunting.

The beetles weren't super big: the weevil was about 1cm, the dung beetle maybe only 5-6mm and the longhorn about 2cm (not including the antennae). Some of the millipedes were as long as my hand though and some of the carpenter bees seemed as thick as my thumb but way too fast for photography.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Lovely pictures. That weevil looks awesome.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the orange spider is a lynx spider of some description, might help you narrow it down some
nice pics! love the butterflies, can't believe how well they posed for you :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is this guy on your shoe?! :kimchi:

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010
Yep. Two stinky, sweaty tourists were an irresistible source of salts for some butterflies!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Finally spotted a spider that I have always wanted to see IRL. Not in my native Sweden but on vacation in Germany.
Wasp spider (Argiope bruennichi)

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I love pigeons, this is a homing or racing pigeon who visits the roof near my window often :)

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
A couple of my Eacles imperialis eclosed today. Think these are both males, as they are on the small side, and have a lot of purple on them.

Here is the whole life-cycle from eggs last summer till today:
https://imgur.com/a/QDp76

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Pretty little fluffers :3:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://instagram.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t50.2886-16/20547022_263540374148503_7719890924976734208_n.mp4

tfw the food arrives right after 420

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Not a picture of mine, but I am really curious if someone can identify what this rodent is. Theres a Washington craigslist ad for a "cute female rat" free to a good home but I've never seen a rodent like this, it looks like something wild. They say "kangaroo rat or pack rat" but it doesn't really look like either of those to me.

I really really want to know what it is!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
It almost looks like a normal rat with a swollen face. I hope I'm wrong!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
also thru my binoculars watched an osprey do a vertical (also inverted at times, just rapidly plummeting down to earth like it got shot out of the sky) dive from about 150+ft in the air right into the water like a fkn gold medalist in front of me to smoke what looked like a huge fish and boldly emerge a couple seconds later with it twitching in the grasp of its talons as it rapidly ascended towards the horizon

it was bad rear end and its that shiet that makes trekking out to hang around stoned in marshes and woods scanning around for hours on end like an imbecile totally worth it! :hai:

just wish i had a proper cam set up cause even the best phone cam is gonna be useless for getting good shoots of animals in the wild - like the 4ft tall Great Blue Heron i suddenly noticed had been staring at me from across a pool of water the entire time with full plummage and its wings stretched forward like some sort of celestial marsh guardian...they definitely are very different from the egrets behavior wise - the great egrets are like cows grazing along in groups of 1-3, the little and snowy egrets much more social and active, and the great blue heron is very mysterious and aloof but no doubt also a stone cold killer and king of the swamp imho

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 30, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saw this spider in a park in Eugene, Oregon yesterday. I realize there isn't much in the picture for scale, but the gap in between the boards was big enough for me to get the tip of a finger into, so is at least a quarter inch or so. I didn't recognize this species, and thought I'd see if anyone could tell me what I was looking at.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Saw this spider in a park in Eugene, Oregon yesterday. I realize there isn't much in the picture for scale, but the gap in between the boards was big enough for me to get the tip of a finger into, so is at least a quarter inch or so. I didn't recognize this species, and thought I'd see if anyone could tell me what I was looking at.

Looks like a cat-faced spider, Araneus gemmoides. Did the abdomen have "cat ear" like protrusions on it? It's hard to tell from an above shot like that.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/33149

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bismuth posted:

Not a picture of mine, but I am really curious if someone can identify what this rodent is. Theres a Washington craigslist ad for a "cute female rat" free to a good home but I've never seen a rodent like this, it looks like something wild. They say "kangaroo rat or pack rat" but it doesn't really look like either of those to me.

I really really want to know what it is!

It looks halfway between a rat and a chinchilla.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

almost like a... chinchilla rat??
couldnt find much info on these lil guys though so i couldnt say for sure

CaptainSarcastic posted:

looks more like Larinioides sp. to me, a few species are fairly common across the northern hemisphere
edit: I'm gonna guess L. sclopetarius from the white markings, common name bridge spider

vaguely fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 31, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vaguely posted:

looks more like Larinioides sp. to me, a few species are fairly common across the northern hemisphere
edit: I'm gonna guess L. sclopetarius from the white markings

Yeah that's probably right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

vaguely posted:

i...had no idea this was a real animal. Huh.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

vaguely posted:

edit: I'm gonna guess L. sclopetarius from the white markings, common name bridge spider

I think that's got to be it - the pictures look right, and there is a series of ponds just beyond the fence it was on and a bridge literally about 6' away. Thanks!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Falukorv posted:

Finally spotted a spider that I have always wanted to see IRL. Not in my native Sweden but on vacation in Germany.
Wasp spider (Argiope bruennichi)

I wanted to send you a pm, but it looks like you don't want to support Lowtax's extravagant lifestyle.

Go join the facebook groups" Entomologiska föreningen i Stockholm" and "Insekter i Sverige". The Stockholm entomologists are having an excursion for everyone in a couple of weeks, and have seen Agriope bruennichi a couple of times where we're going.

You are very welcome to join!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Toad

Snek

Moth

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Look at this stinky fucker:

I've decided to name it Audrey III.