Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What the gently caress is that ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What the gently caress is that ask.

DeHaan is easily worth at least 4 million.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Semin was a very good player until he got severely concussed in Carolina and never recovered from it. People made all sorts of bizarre complaints about him, like how he was only good in contract years despite that he had a pretty continual string of one year contracts in Washington or questions about his defensive commitment when he was always solid in his own end. I also think expectations of him also spiraled out of control.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Gunjin posted:

Alexander Semin has retired, and is applying to a masters program in metallurgy of all things. Shame he never seemed to get his head or heart fully into the game, he was so athletically gifted, his wrist shot was one of the best I've ever seen, and when he was on he could be a game changer. I thought like he'd be a core player for the Capitals there for awhile, his 08-09 and 09-10 seasons were really drat good, but he tapered off after that, scoring less and taking more and more lazy penalties. I don't think we'll see anything like him again anytime soon:

From the RMNB writeup:

quote:

Over the offseason, Semin was not offered a contract by another KHL club, including his former team Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Semin was one of the KHL’s top 40 goal-scorers in the regular season, tallying 16 goals in 58 KHL games. But in the KHL playoffs, Semin disappeared, registering only two points in 18 games.

After going goal-less in 23-straight games, fans and journalists, according to sibnovosti.ru, nicknamed Semin The Champion of Penalties. In almost every one of those games, Semin went to the penalty box for a minor penalty.

Never change, Jizz.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Thufir posted:

I guess the NBC schedules are out so everyone can be mad about which teams are on national broadcasts too much / too little.

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/892082079873290240

also unsurprisingly the vegas home opener is nationally televised

won't be the most embarrassing first night a team will have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPTrpjpW-k

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

America's hockey team!

:smug:

Gets swept in the first round of the playoffs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

Gets swept in the first round of the playoffs.

There were some embarrassing exits between the 2010 and 2013 cups too. They're just building suspense. :colbert:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

i mean i understand that you lowball players going into arbitration but he's easily worth over 3. probably over 4.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

won't be the most embarrassing first night a team will have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPTrpjpW-k

holy loving poo poo

seriously what the hell

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Doc Emrick introduced the team before the first CBJ game in 2000, so that's kinda cool, I guess.

As for NBC games, I hope you like Pittsburgh/Rangers/Buffalo/Boston/Washington/Philly/Chicago/Toronto being involved in literally every game and, for Wednesday Night Rivalry, we have:

quote:

October 25 Buffalo at Columbus, 8 p.m.

:wtc:

I can't wait for The Battle of CBJSprague24 versus That One Girl Who Moved Here From Buffalo and Knew a Shitton About Hockey Who Talked About All the Dates We Were Gonna Go On After We Saw CBJ Put Up a Touchdown on The Isles And Never Followed Through? They couldn't even do a PIT/CBJ game? :confused:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't you watch Cormier/Jones?

If you lose every time it ain't a rivalry.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The only thing I remember about Sabres/Jackets of late is them beating us to lock up a top two pick and then Eichel scoring a nasty goal in a meaningless game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gunjin posted:

Alexander Semin has retired, and is applying to a masters program in metallurgy of all things.

I had to fact-check this thinking it was some mistranslation from him playing for Metallurg but sure enough...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

a false posted:

i mean i understand that you lowball players going into arbitration but he's easily worth over 3. probably over 4.

So the spread of ask and offer is bascially $2 million and $5 million and you are all surprised because his real value is square in the middle of those two numbers at $3-4 million. That sounds about right for an opening offer in a negation if they want to meet in the middle at a realistic number.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

kill me now posted:

So the spread of ask and offer is bascially $2 million and $5 million and you are all surprised because his real value is square in the middle of those two numbers at $3-4 million. That sounds about right for an opening offer in a negation if they want to meet in the middle at a realistic number.

iirc it's a bigger spread by percentage of the total AAV than any other one that's been revealed this offseason so yes, it's surprising.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

a false posted:

iirc it's a bigger spread by percentage of the total AAV than any other one that's been revealed this off season so yes, it's surprising.

Its not all that far from Dumoulin at $1.95m/$4.35m

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had to fact-check this thinking it was some mistranslation from him playing for Metallurg but sure enough...

My mind went here immediately as well.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

holy loving poo poo

seriously what the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3f4sWNFh4

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Lunqvist's pads rule. That de Haan ask/offer is..... something.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Torts gets a one-year extension. JD took a "We'll see how this goes before extending him further" mentality regarding a contract beyond 2019.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That's a fair move. I know R-Lam gets piled on for even suggesting the jackets will regress next year but it's good to see management isn't convinced that everything is gravy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Jackets are almost definitely going to regress some considering some of the ridiculous numbers they pulled and also that they also already fell back to earth after that win streak

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

hmmmmm, this was thrilling

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While it's usually a safe bet that a 108-point team is going to regress a bit, CBJ also seem to have the hard-to-get things that every team wants in 2017, namely two top young mobile defensemen and a lot of forward depth, plus a great goalie. Jones and Werenski are both really good and not even at their peaks yet.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jones is legit. Werenski looks great but like one season of pro experience. He'll almost certainly regress. Whole team will, but I can still see them pushing for 100 points. Then again, some bad goaltending/injury and lovely luck could see them regress to a bubble team.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

holy loving poo poo

seriously what the hell

It was the 90s and shut up that's totally a valid excuse.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I flipped my Rangers calendar I got from one of the games to August and it's got Skjei and Buchnevich on it for this month and suddenly I'm excited for hockey again.

That is all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/892130289983512576

Schremp Howard posted:

That's a fair move. I know R-Lam gets piled on for even suggesting the jackets will regress next year but it's good to see management isn't convinced that everything is gravy.

quote:

“I think it just makes sense for everybody,” Davidson said in regards to the contract term. “It makes sense for Torts, it makes sense for us. We’ve got him this year and next year, and everything will get re-evaluated after that. It seemed like in talking to everyone involved this was the best route to go. John is confident in his abilities. We’re confident in his abilities. Two years is perfect.”
“I have known Torts the longest of everyone around here,” Davidson said. “I know what kind of person he is. I know he’s a bit of a volcano, but he’s got a passion for life and he makes a lot of really strong decisions. Some that he made which were bad, he’s owned up to them and that’s one thing. When you talk to really good players, the stars who have played for Torts, every one of them rave about the work he puts in.”

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170731/blue-jackets--john-tortorella-signs-one-year-contract-extension

"Alright, Torts. You've done good things here. Now do it again. You keep it up, and maybe we extend you. You go full psycho or the wheels come off and we'll be fine with asking you to leave".

I have increased faith in the whole thing top to bottom seeing this because it's not Scott Howson locking a coach up and then still having to pay them when he cans them (which happened twice; still think Hitch shouldn't have been fired).

Zodijackylite posted:

While it's usually a safe bet that a 108-point team is going to regress a bit, CBJ also seem to have the hard-to-get things that every team wants in 2017, namely two top young mobile defensemen and a lot of forward depth, plus a great goalie. Jones and Werenski are both really good and not even at their peaks yet.

Panarin-Wennberg-Atkinson sounds like it could be a fun as hell line to watch do hockeyman things.

JoelJoel posted:

Jones is legit. Werenski looks great but like one season of pro experience. He'll almost certainly regress. Whole team will, but I can still see them pushing for 100 points. Then again, some bad goaltending/injury and lovely luck could see them regress to a bubble team.

I think we can say a year and a half after that both teams won the Jones/Johansen swap in their own ways. I'm interested to see if Werenski tries to keep his foot on the gas in spite of an inevitable regression to try and fight it off (all he's done is win in his career) and if the regression is "sophomore slump" or "Full Steve Mason". We're hoping for the former.

Then again, the CBJ often go as :cop: goes, but Korpisalo did alright in extended action in 15-16.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 1, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm interested to see if Werenski tries to keep his foot on the gas in spite of an inevitable regression to try and fight it off (all he's done is win in his career) and if the regression is "sophomore slump" or "Full Steve Mason". We're hoping for the former.

Well except for that first round thing last year

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Well except for that first round thing last year

I was thinking more everything up to that point and the fact he dodged his Welcome to the NHL moment being the tire fire that was 2015-16.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/892498127575552000

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GMs going a lot more conservative with term these days. I guess they're not expecting any more amnesty buy-outs after the next lockout.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i hate the loving offseason

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

whatis posted:

i hate the loving offseason

Good news! Only 2 months and 3 days until real hockey starts up again!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/892374446459285505

Why is Vegas lowballing anybody

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

No reason to blow all their cap before the trade deadline.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/892586065395159041

Fine, sure. I just hope he isn't on the Blues roster unless there are a number of injuries. One of Schmaltz, Walman or Dunn needs to be on the roster this year.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they can just play the blackhawks minor league team game and offer low salary + pick where you want to go at the trade deadline, or possibly even pull off the mythical sign and trade with the massive amount of veteran nhlers they have on their team already.

2.75 million seems double what nate schmidt is worth anyways so vegas is probably closer to the ballpark than the agent is

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Mike_V posted:

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/892586065395159041

Fine, sure. I just hope he isn't on the Blues roster unless there are a number of injuries. One of Schmaltz, Walman or Dunn needs to be on the roster this year.

I read that tweet and thought it was an offer sheet at first and got excited. Then i remembered the GMs are a bunch of stooges.

N/V August: When a Nate Prosser Offer Sheet Sounds Exciting

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Can we talk about how bad the Panthers new ownership is? Vinnie Viola is a billionaire who made his money off of fancy numbers and loves the Army. He supposedly brought an affinity for both fancystats and old-tyme-grit-n-leadership. But after a disastrous season, the team abandoned the new approach and flip-flopped back to how things were before. But the damage was done, and I'm not talking about blueballing Jagr.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-panthers-promised-jagr-a-contract-1.819164

quote:

TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli reported in June the team was given an internal mandate to spend less than $65 million in 2017-18.

This explains the latest of their series of terrible moves, including many which negated good moves.

Last summer, they traded two picks for the rights to Keith Yandle, who they signed to a :signings: $44.45m contract that takes him through a full season at age 36 in a state with no income tax - likely the most money he would've gotten anywhere. They also shipped out a 2nd to dump Marc Savard's contract, which they acquired in the Reilly Smith-Jimmy Hayes deal. They also traded the previous year's 11th overall, Lawson Crouse, to dump Dave Bolland's contract, and received a 3rd in return. They also made a bunch of moves that wouldn't be negated the next offseason, so I'm not gonna talk about them even if Gudbranson sucks. In summary:

Out: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, $$$ :signings: $$$ / In: 3rd, $$$ signings $$$

Overall, pretty good hockey moves on paper, but the result wasn't great. They canned their coach in an embarrassing fashion, with two significant factors: the team's poor performance was more likely due to a lot of injuries than his coaching, and they did it in a way that unnecessarily drew attention to their organization as being a bunch of two-bit dicks. Maybe that's not the biggest factor, but just like the tax advantage with UFAs and having Jaromir Jagr on your team, you have to leverage every advantage you can possibly get when you've made the playoffs twice since Y2K and haven't won a playoff series in over two decades.

I'll move back for a moment to talk about the situation more. To start 2016, the Panthers "promoted" Dale Tallon to an executive position and replaced him with Tom Rowe as GM. Rowe was, to an extent, the sockpuppet for the dick-twiddling owners who heard about Corsi and thought they could run a hockey team, only to fail and give up and gently caress the team over with an internal cap. Well, Tom Rowe is the moron who fired Gerard Gallant after a 23-in-22 start of 11-10-1 with a bunch of injured stars, and coached the team to a 24-26-10 record (58-in-60) which sucked and saw them finish way-the-gently caress-out-of-the-playoffs.

Dale Tallon was, by all accounts, an good-ol'-boy in hockey management. He's a beloved hockey guy, who has a lot of clout with other GMs, which among other things led to the signings of ex-Hawks Brian Campbell :) and Dave Bolland :( . While Tallon has a far-from-perfect record as a GM, after being hired by the Panthers in May 2010, was still celebrated in the Hawks' when the won the cup a month later, which is a bit nicer than Gerard Gallant's farewell. I recall quite a bit of fanfare about the players and team involving Tallon, too. Again, hockey clout doesn't win championships, but it doesn't hurt for a team who couldn't hit .500 while earning 11 points for losing games. Unfortunately, the previous summer's moves were all but negated this summer.

Last year's moves were wasted this offseason. Four of the team's top six forwards (by points) are gone. JAM - the surprise 30-goal scorer - was exposed in the expansion draft. Reilly Smith, who they took on Marc Savard's massive contract (and gave up a 2nd to shed) was traded for a 4th to shed salary. Jagr wasn't re-signed. Jokinen was bought out. The latter two weren't necessarily bad hockey moves, but the internal cap forced them to give up the other two top forwards for next-to-nothing. They also traded a 7th for Dylan McIlrath, only to ship him off with a 3rd for a rental of Thomas Vanek, who wasn't bad, but they weren't even close to a playoff team. Net result for last summer's fuckery, before re-promoting Dale Tallon to GM:

Cost, with an internal cap: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, and $$$ :signings: $$$ Keith Yandle Money

They also only have 10 NHL forwards signed for next year, including:
-KHL star Evgeni Dadonov, age 28, who is over five years removed from putting up 20 points in 55 NHL games
-Denis Malgin, who managed ten points in 47 games last year
-AHL punchman Michael Haley
-Derek "-9.1%CF corsi rel" Mackenzie as their captain, because fancystats are second only to your boner for your Army fetish because *leadership*!!! Sure, he's a well-respected NHL veteran and well-liked guy, but also now a glaring emblem of how a bunch of outsiders failed at managing over a hockey team!

At least Vinnie Viola didn't look to other would-be Trump nominees for a guy to explain it...

• Locked thread