Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

anilEhilated posted:

Lost Kin is actually pretty easy to cheese - using any kind of poison aura pops his summons in one shot and without them he's pretty easy to damage-race. Hell, he's the only one of the refights I beat.

You can also damage race the big guy, the last one is the only one you have to fight legitimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's a darn shame that there's not more than just the nail as a weapon in the game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anilEhilated posted:

Lost Kin is actually pretty easy to cheese - using any kind of poison aura pops his summons in one shot and without them he's pretty easy to damage-race. Hell, he's the only one of the refights I beat.

You're missing out on a really tense and enjoyable bossfight if you go that route.
I want back with Dashmaster, sharp shadow and the better nail range up and played it like a platinumgames mirror match

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm one of those weirdos who enjoyed the collect-a-thon for the dream nail, but that's because once you clear the area, it lets you just explore and poke around, which netted me some cash and an item or two. basically it's a reward.

Also, thank you both for remembering Grey. Icicle Disaster may of been a lovely special, but he's still my favorite character.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One neat thing in this game is in the options you can turn on the ability to see all Kickstarter backers beneath their characters' names. It's just a subtle "by X" beneath their name in the corner of the screen.

Edit: You HAVE to kill at least one refight to awaken the Dreamnail. Also the refights are all awesome, I love them. Especially the Failed Champion, which is probably my third favourite boss fight in the game (behind Mantis Lords and Radiance)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 26, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did mowing down all those little orange cells rack up the Hunter count for them, or are they strictly cosmetic?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Glazius posted:

Did mowing down all those little orange cells rack up the Hunter count for them, or are they strictly cosmetic?

I believe the ones from the boss where separate. But killing enough of those barely takes a minute anyway.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 14- Kingdom's Edge

Hope you're ready for one mess of an episode, rich with such hurtful accusations of my person, interruptions, and a look into weird extra content.

Kingdom's Edge is a strange place, mainly because the way I enter is entirely uninteded and not hinted at whatsoever. This place is meant to be a late-game level, which is why a lot of enemies are really frustrating and the level design can be outright rude at times. A *lot* of esoteric backstory can be here, though nonsensical by means of we accessed this area before getting the full understanding of all the happenings elsewhere. A lot of the area though is mainly collectables, Geo, and one upgrade that should be easy to pay for if you know about the motherlode. The only main plot thing however is on the peak of this area, and we won't be seeing that for a long while.

We also stop on by the coliseum. I don't really do much here cause I was waiting on two individuals to come and they never appeared. My good buddy TorpidTypist also found a hidden hotspring there that we probably won't see for another 6 episodes cause I had no idea that area existed!

Finally, the Glade of Hope. Ehh. Its just way to disorganized and uninteresting to really talk about it too much. I did appreciate Travis' disgust at the Guts wannabe though. Also, much like the coliseum, there's also a super secret here in the glade that I'll have to show off another time!

Oh yeah a sidenote: Since I start my job tomorrow, the thread probably won't get the updates consistently. If you don't see an update as expected, check my YT channel and odds are it'll be there because I pre-schedule this poo poo. Feel free to discuss the episode though at your leisure here, just don't spoil anything or I'll cut you.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 31, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't recall if you've picked it up in the LP yet but if you're using Quick Slash you should also be using the one that removes knockback from hitting enemies. It's also better than Fragile Strength later on in the game because by that point you have a much stronger nail and the boost from Fragile Strength is comparatively insignificant. Though personally I say gently caress both of these options and go with a spell-slinging build.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I actually never knew about the motherlode. Thanks for showing that off.
By the way, the new content will be released this week.

And good luck with your new job I hope you will have a good time there.

Quick slash is great and so is pizza!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Its me, im the person who swears by quick slash and thinks the range extenders are dumb and useless.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
So... I'm gonna rightfully get made fun of for this pedantry, but here goes.

The 'channel' in most swords is called a fuller, and its typical use is to reduce the weight of the sword without impacting its durability(the arch shape of the fuller is more resistant to stresses than a flat line). That said, a fuller runs along the length of the blade, not in the shape we see on the nail. Realistically, I don't see how that kind of fuller would be useful. The force is coming from the wrong direction(which is to say, not dead on the same angle as the arch), which would pretty much crumple that nail in a few swings. But now I'm going too far down the rabbit hole, so let's just say it works and leave it there.

Assuming it does work, this would reduce the overall weight of the nail, probably improving its balance for ease of use, which means more precise and faster cuts. The precision there is the increased damage.

(Again, totally feel free to make fun of me for trying to impose actual logic on a freaking video game.)

Pizza is great and you should be ashamed of yourself for not liking it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A stalactite holds tight to the ceiling. A stalagmite might join them one day. :science:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Zark the Damned posted:

A stalactite holds tight to the ceiling. A stalagmite might join them one day. :science:

For me it's "A stalactite holds tight to the ceiling, a stalagmite... is the other one."

Also, cookie-bug is rad, fight me!

Dissociative Donut
Oct 9, 2009

by Pragmatica
Stalactite has tit in it. Those usually hang.
The more stupid the mnemonic the easier they are for me to remember

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Stalactite: C is for ceiling.
Stalagmite: G is for ground.
In for a shilling, in for a pound.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Stalactites have a T which hangs down, like a Stalactite!

Stalagmites have an M which stick up like little Stalagmites!

Wooooaaaaaahhhh :350:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Who cares? They're all just unfinished stalagnates anyway.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

A falling stalagmite MIGHT give you a headache. A falling stalactite will.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Iretep posted:

Its me, im the person who swears by quick slash and thinks the range extenders are dumb and useless.

yeah, sometimes i would get use out of a range extender but your damage output is so goddamn high with quick slash to the point where i could just straight up stunlock certain bosses. not all that useful against certain things for sure, but it's amazing otherwise.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Tiso's hanging out by Blue Lake, on the Saluba side.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how Primal Asphids make everyone suffer. Those triple shots have pinpoint accuracy

spoilers about the shroom room above the motherlode: You do indeed need the spore shroom there, and once it's equipped you can read the stone which tells you a riddle. The riddle holds all the locations in which Mister Mushroom can be found

edit: The dash slash/great slash deal 2.5x damage, not 2x damage :eng101:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 1, 2017

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

It's weird how a random speleology distinction is something people are expected to know. Like, I couldn't name the distinctions between leg or antenna parts of bugs or different types of glass, and that's perfectly normal, but anywhere in America I can reasonably expect someone to know the name and a mnemonic for pointy rocks in caves. Big Cave's got a hold on our elementary educations system, I guess.

As for the DLC characters, while "badass anime self-inserts" are embarrassing, I can kind of get them, cause it's like the next best thing when you don't have the money or talent to make your own anime videogame. I like Milly the cookie bug cause she's the sort of character that fleshes out the world of Hollownest from before everything went to hell, but why would you pay money to make sure she's in it? I guess it's from people who really wanted to make sure Hollow Knight got made more than anything, and the character insert was just a random side thing?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm gonna throw something out here as a guess re. one of the characters.

Edit: Not one of the kickstarter characters.

Is Nailmaster Oro the brother of the missing King; i.e. he is a prince who abdicated his position? His head looks kinda like a crown, also his dream-commentary hints at something along these lines.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 1, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the only good backer bug is MAGNUS STRONG

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

SirSamVimes posted:

the only good backer bug is MAGNUS STRONG

He ain't no BOSS

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dissociative Donut posted:

Stalactite has tit in it. Those usually hang.
The more stupid the mnemonic the easier they are for me to remember

Gotta admit, I like this.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Not sure where else to put these but thought you guys might like em'! Just got and started playing through HK because of this LP, and was inspired to draw a bunch of random bugs! The first two groups I drew on my own, the mossy knight dude and the Void-y fellow were requests on Reddit. They're great fun to draw, and super expressive even though the style is so simple.

You guys are of course welcome to request bugs yourself, though I don't want to clutter up this rad thread with doodles!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I was even less equipped than you when I beat Hornet the second time, and I demand everyone goes through that same pain.

I kid, it was a wreck on my hands and nerves, and I'm really curious to see what you meant by 'making it easier' when you get to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

freshlybaked posted:

I was even less equipped than you when I beat Hornet the second time, and I demand everyone goes through that same pain.

I kid, it was a wreck on my hands and nerves, and I'm really curious to see what you meant by 'making it easier' when you get to it.
Eh, I went there straight from City of Tears and I don't remember her being particularly hard. Saying that as someone who never beat most of the refights or the true final boss.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

anilEhilated posted:

Eh, I went there straight from City of Tears and I don't remember her being particularly hard. Saying that as someone who never beat most of the refights or the true final boss.

To be fair this is Wang we're talking about, everything wang does is hard :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I used to know a great intentionally confusing mnemonic that began something like "You may think stalagmites MIGHT hang from the ceiling, but you'd be wrong" but I can't remember the rest of it.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

I like the music troupe.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Dog Kisser posted:

Not sure where else to put these but thought you guys might like em'! Just got and started playing through HK because of this LP, and was inspired to draw a bunch of random bugs! The first two groups I drew on my own, the mossy knight dude and the Void-y fellow were requests on Reddit. They're great fun to draw, and super expressive even though the style is so simple.

You guys are of course welcome to request bugs yourself, though I don't want to clutter up this rad thread with doodles!

I'm digging the music trio as well. That's super rad.

Dunno if you're okay with having your stuff in the OP tho.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Highwang posted:

I'm digging the music trio as well. That's super rad.

Dunno if you're okay with having your stuff in the OP tho.

Of course I am, feel free to use em' as you will. And it goes without saying that if you want to see anything in particular I'll take a crack at it!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Wang-as-HK dodging away from a falling stalactite face-first into spikes.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

anilEhilated posted:

Using a keyboard might have contributed, but for a lot of that fight, she moved literally faster than I could react so I had to get into this weird rhythm of investing in an action in advance of her.

Also why can't we just call them all spikes?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Just finished the game after I started playing it due to this LP. Wow, what a game! Looking forward to your Colosseum of Fools video.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did you know by the way that "moth" is actually an abbreviation for "motherfucker"?

e: and in case y'all didn't see this yet, here's a stag beetle and a rhinoceros beetle havin a wrassle

http://i.imgur.com/FxaIBXG.mp4

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Jesus, that stag beetle got sent back to it's home planet at the end there :stare:

pi-toiiiiiing

• Locked thread