Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

The Groper posted:

Ted Kaczynski.

The modern GOP is no place for your fancy book reading intellectual types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Has Kid Rock already won the GOP primary?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

Yes, thank you. We can't whitewash Bush II's disaster of an administration just because he went about it with a dopey sort of charm. Trump could still get there but he hasn't yet.

Bush's administration didn't really get going until after 9/11. Does anyone even remember what his agenda was pre-9/11? Only thing I remember is him taking some heat for opening up the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.
As horrible as Bush II was, it's still early and Trump has a lot of time to play catch up. So no one should ever let their guard down just because Trump is an imbecile.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Tampa is like the worst place in the nation. It's just like, hundreds of miles of strip malls it feels like, full of old racists and strip clubs.

tampa is on the ocean. orlando isn't. and phoenix is just orlando in the desert

Koalas March posted:

This down home poo poo is a big act put on because bored well off white folks are romanticising lifestyles they see on Instagram and in ​music videos.

you're mostly right about this except a bunch of well of white people live on the suburban edges of cities and have regular irl contact with semirural lifestyles. i have farmers in my family and they only live like twenty miles outside of detroit, within commuting range. rural america is geographically a lot closer than most people think

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 31, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Max Awfuls posted:

As the Republican party descends into full blown insanity, who is the candidate you expect to be the most outrageous pick they'll ever come up with, the one that makes Kid Rock look somewhat normal, the Trump to his George W Bush ?

Oj Simpson for governor of California

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Bush's administration didn't really get going until after 9/11. Does anyone even remember what his agenda was pre-9/11?

Tax cuts.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The guy with a bow tie that was on Fox News
My dude you are gonna need to be a LOT more specific

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

That's why they hung the 'Mission Accomplished' banner

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Haven't seen anyone post about this yet. Surprise surprise, voting machines are super vulnerable to a variety of techniques.

https://twitter.com/VotingVillageDC/status/891453220266160128

https://twitter.com/thepacketrat/status/891404141108621312

https://twitter.com/joshcopeland/status/891813560568823808

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Oh yea..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Growth_and_Tax_Relief_Reconciliation_Act_of_2001

quote:

A report published by researchers with The Heritage Foundation claimed that the tax cuts would result in the complete elimination of the U.S. national debt by fiscal year 2010.

lol

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

He had a surprising not-completely-horrible immigration policy that got thoroughly trashed once he formed Homeland Security.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Bush's administration didn't really get going until after 9/11. Does anyone even remember what his agenda was pre-9/11? Only thing I remember is him taking some heat for opening up the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.
As horrible as Bush II was, it's still early and Trump has a lot of time to play catch up. So no one should ever let their guard down just because Trump is an imbecile.

The Bush II administration is still up on actual damage done, but the mere existence of the Trump administration has probably done more lasting long term damage to the bases of the republic than anything Bush ever did. Debating the very real possibility of Senator Kid Rock is now a thing. The rot has set in and that will lead to more future and lasting destruction than what Bush II and his cronies did. It's like comparing losing a leg in a terrible accident to getting full blown inoperable cancer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Despite the cynicism I think it is wise to take Kid Rock serious and campaign against him accordingly.

Remember a reason why Trump won was no one took him serioulys, either in the primaries or the general until it was far too late. I mean wasn't there an article that showed the Clinton Campaign strategy of ignoring states like Michigan because they figured they had a lock and better to go for the blow-out?

How do you do this?

The problem is that Kid Rock voters are already self identfying as Kid Rock fans, and thus are likely to take attacks on Kid Rock as attacks on they themselves personally. I'm not sure how you take him seriously or attack him given a world wherein that many people are already willing to vote for him.

Stop kidding around?
don't kid
You gotta be kidding me

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

How would Senator Kid Rock even work?
Like, I can't even physically imagine him at the Senate, doing work. Wouldn't he immediately grow tired of it and either not show up or resign?

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I think the voting public is increasingly seeing the problem with electing people who know nothing about governance and they might shy away from electing another high-profile guy who has zero government experience. I'm finding it hard to believe that the populist rhetoric is going to keep steam for another year with nothing to show for it.

e: This is ignoring the fact that his music label owns his campaign site, which I think would run amok of campaign finance laws if he was really and sincerely running.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno just go look at the other celebrities that went into politics, did any of them do any real good?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Where is this coming from?

https://twitter.com/KidRock/status/886995408416886785

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The fact that he's a successful entertainer is the least compelling reason to not vote or vote against kid rock.

There are a lot of entertainers who could legitimately be solid legislators.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JazzFlight posted:

How would Senator Kid Rock even work?
Like, I can't even physically imagine him at the Senate, doing work. Wouldn't he immediately grow tired of it and either not show up or resign?

What if he got in the pit and tried to love someone :ohdear:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

peeonwe posted:

I think the voting public is increasingly seeing the problem with electing people who know nothing about governance and they might shy away from electing another high-profile guy who has zero government experience. I'm finding it hard to believe that the populist rhetoric is going to keep steam for another year with nothing to show for it.

The problem with the old guy was, he wasn't real enough. Not like the new guy.

Until the underlying social issues are solved the "heartland" will keep throwing out fuckyoujoke candidates. Opiod epidemic won't end till then, either.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This poo poo is terrifying.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

One important detail that is left off of these tweets, is that these machines are not connected to the internet. The "hacks" require you to physically be at the polling site and messing around with the machine, possibly even opening it up.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
To defeat Kid Rock, you get someone to change their name to Robert James Ritchie (R) as a false flag Republican concern trolling about how Kid Rock will disgrace the Party with his vulgar ways and redneck hick base and that Respectable Respectables should vote for him instead. Then you raise "Ritchie's" profile.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Covok posted:

If he didn't do that, who would go see his screeching horrid voice? I mean, personally, I'd need him to give ME a $20 to hear the audio equivalent of a root canal.

I think you underestimate his popularity in MI.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rigel posted:

One important detail that is left off of these tweets, is that these machines are not connected to the internet. The "hacks" require you to physically be at the polling site and messing around with the machine, possibly even opening it up.

Article I saw discussed wifi access. That said, surely no poll worker would ever tamper with the voting machines

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rigel posted:

And that's all we need to know. A hack with and infinitesimal probability of ever being deployed. Thanks ~infosec dudes~

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with the old guy was, he wasn't real enough. Not like the new guy.

Until the underlying social issues are solved the "heartland" will keep throwing out fuckyoujoke candidates. Opiod epidemic won't end till then, either.

Enthusiasm gets people to the polls and we're already seeing enthusiasm wane for the populist rhetoric with no real clear policy or ideas of how government works. This will only get worse in a year because Trump isn't going to magically learn how a bill becomes law. Trump has driven the enthusiasm over to the anti-Trump people, not the other way around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dietrich posted:

Has Kid Rock already won the GOP primary?

No, the primary is next Summer.

The GOP Candidates are:

Lena Epstein, businesswoman
John James, businessman and Iraq veteran
Robert P. Young Jr., former Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court
Robert "Kid Rock" Ritchie, musician and Operation Hope boardmember

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

What if you're the person in charge of the machines and you know how to hack into them and change the vote tallies before reporting the districts results to the state office?

How much do you think you'd have to pay a local election official to let you do this?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Everyone should be able to handle any thing, period.

No need for education, Senator Kid Rock will make sure nothing exists which requires expertise.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Article I saw discussed wifi access. That said, surely no poll worker would ever tamper with the voting machines

Chilichimp posted:

What if you're the person in charge of the machines and you know how to hack into them and change the vote tallies before reporting the districts results to the state office?

How much do you think you'd have to pay a local election official to let you do this?

If we're afraid of corrupt poll workers, then machines are irrelevant. Its easy for them to mess around with paper ballots.

This generally doesn't happen because poll workers in almost all precincts are selected on a bipartisan basis to make sure both major parties are represented, so they are watching each other as well as the voters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

And that's all we need to know. A hack with and infinitesimal probability of ever being deployed. Thanks ~infosec dudes~

Most of the year voting machines are stored unsecured in sheds and warehouses. The people who run elections are volunteers with basically no background check or anything. Physical access isn't that hard to aquire as you're acting like it is.

Rigel posted:

If we're afraid of corrupt poll workers, then machines are irrelevant. Its easy for them to mess around with paper ballots.

This generally doesn't happen because poll workers in almost all precincts are selected on a bipartisan basis to make sure both major parties are represented, so they are watching each other as well as the voters.

Actually it is a lot harder for a random poll judge to tamper with a sealed ballot box than for them to tamper with a voting machine. Plus there will be physical evidence to hide/destroy if you're tampering with paper ballots but no such concern with voting machines, since we don't mandate a paper trail.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rigel posted:

Some have wifi connectivity that would allow them to be hacked just by being in the same room / building.

*edit*

https://www.verifiedvoting.org/which-voting-machines-can-be-hacked-through-the-internet/

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So does Christie just hang around baseball games all the time now?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

then you find out the same way you always find out: if the votes are changed enough to seriously alter the outcome it shows up in statistical analysis when compared for instance with exit polling, and you start an investigation from there.

voting machines are vulnerable in the same way that ATMs are, i.e. if you get physical access you can do whatever. there is neither an epidemic of ATMs getting hacked nor evidence of voter fraud through manipulation of voting machines.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/891998881009061888

Donald J. Trump Retweeted
https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/891050673965588480

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You might as well say that everyone should be able to understand physics 'cause they do a good job obeying those laws

Talk about entitlement

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Are you loving kidding me with this poo poo, Jesus Christ.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

botany posted:

then you find out the same way you always find out: if the votes are changed enough to seriously alter the outcome it shows up in statistical analysis when compared for instance with exit polling, and you start an investigation from there.

voting machines are vulnerable in the same way that ATMs are, i.e. if you get physical access you can do whatever. there is neither an epidemic of ATMs getting hacked nor evidence of voter fraud through manipulation of voting machines.

lol you apparently have never heard of ATM skimming. Meanwhile ATMs have a lot stricter physical access control and auditing controls.

There is an epidemic of physical hacks of ATMs but because banks demanded strong auditing and physical access controls ATMs attacks target consumers and their cards rather than the banks. For voting machines, there aren't such controls and the value to the hacker is in changing votes.

Also it is a fantasy that if voting totals don't match exit polls that suddenly triggers an investigation. That also ignores the fact we only exit poll a selection of polling places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Hello. I'm not a politician. I'm just a regular guy/gal. When I look at whatever's happening in Washington, it just makes me SICK. The wasteful spending, time-wasting elites leaching off the little guy like me or you while they stuff their faces and their wallets. They don't know this place and they don't care about me or you! Well we've had enough! If [wherever] elects me to Congress, I will be your voice, your heart, and your fist in DC. I will offer common sense solutions to common sense problems, cut the bullcrap and actually get something done. And another thing, I'll tell Ryan/Pelosi to go ahead and eat my rear end - not the other way around. Thank you. [Weird squealing sound] Beep beep.

• Locked thread