Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Like 10 minutes before this episode aired I walked past Quentin Kenihan next to my work (the short guy in Fury Road whose caricature appeared a couple of times in this ep) and then saw his caricature in this episode and it was one of those how many times can you see one person in one lunchtime??? moments.
That guy owns and he's a real good dude on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I assumed that Summer was going to leave deathstalker guy when she realised he reminded he of her dad. I thought that was the point of his neurotic monologue anyway.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Summer sucks. Replace her with robot morty!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think "what, you mean dictionaries?" Is my favorite throwaway gag so far.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Spoiler alert... Summer is pregnant

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bust Rodd posted:

A good show, sad we only have 8 new episodes left.

I am holding on to the unrealistic hope that they showed the ep on April fools because they somehow had an extra episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Strobe posted:

I think "what, you mean dictionaries?" Is my favorite throwaway gag so far.

I was just about to bring this up. It's removed on the episode currently available on adult swim for some reason.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Taima posted:

Honestly I felt that this episode was REALLY bad. The Mad Max thing would have been funny as a short gag, but somehow it was stretched to cover the whole episode.

The whole narrative of how Summer and Morty were dealing with the divorce was ham-fisted and didn't really go anywhere- total throwaway premise that seemed forced by the story line rather than a vehicle for good plot and humor.

At the same time, Summer's new arc as a character is a solution in search of a problem. Her narrative is shallow. Her gimmick about being a badass is funny but again, it's an occasional gag being turned into a major plot point. Right now it's hard to understand what this new Summer is bringing to the show that was lacking before.

I am also worried that we are veering into wackiness and edgy humor for its own sake, which would be a drat shame and threatens to put the show into Hot Topic Invader ZIM autist territory. Zaniness for its own sake is the worst kind of lazy writing and it has taken down it's share of otherwise good shows.

The first episode of the season was excellent, so I'll reserve judgment, but this episode was trash and overall just lazy fan service.

So, what you are saying is that you think episodes written by female writing staff are bad

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Sorry in advance if this turns into a creepy derail, but I was a little surprised they went through with the underage character having sex, especially with an adult. I mean yeah, there's cannibalism, rape, and murder in this show so in the real world a 17 year old getting laid is way down in the list of terrible events, but American television stations tend to be gunshy about certain things.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I have an inkling this is spot on. Parallels to well with the mom's past, and explains why they spent time showing that.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Episode felt sorta weak, but I laughed a couple times and it churned through some of the necessary divorce fallout so thumbs up overall

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Even Rick’s struggling a little. I was on the fence after his rant at the end of “The Rickshank Rickdemption,” but having rewatched that episode and this one, it’s more obvious what the show is trying to do with the character—not so much returning him to zero as showing him stuck between caring about his family and being so smart that he knows that every emotional connection is essentially a one-way ticket to Sucksville. Not to get too heavy, but the fact that he acknowledges that he isn’t handling Beth and Jerry’s divorce well (a divorce he caused) reinforces one of the core tensions of the series, that split between “nothing means anything” and being a sentient creature who has to find some sense in the madness. Rick never lets his grandkids forget that they are easily replaceable. He also doesn’t let them just die. It’s a remarkable narrative balance, because the show wouldn’t work if Rick didn’t care about anything, but it also wouldn’t work if he cared in an obvious or easily predictable way.

From an AV Club review, I dig this take.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So what's up with the wind whispering "loser" at Jerry each episode?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This was a good episode but I feel pretty bad for Jerry.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just re-watched the episode and I think my favorite part is the scene right at the end where that wolf bullies Jerry.

I don't want to risk running a great joke into the ground, but I kind of hope rear end in a top hat wolf shows up a few more times this season to hassle Jerry.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think the only reason this may have felt weak to some is that it wasn't intended to be the "comeback" season premiere. Had we watched Rickshank Redemption last night it would have been a knockout.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

paradoxGentleman posted:

This was a good episode but I feel pretty bad for Jerry.

same

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's only happened in this one episode. It's, y'know, a joke.

taqueso posted:

I am holding on to the unrealistic hope that they showed the ep on April fools because they somehow had an extra episode.
I thought they said a while ago that there were more episodes this season than the previous ones. :confused:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just re-watched the episode and I think my favorite part is the scene right at the end where that wolf bullies Jerry.

I don't want to risk running a great joke into the ground, but I kind of hope rear end in a top hat wolf shows up a few more times this season to hassle Jerry.

I hated that joke because Rick and Morty is generally very fast paced and snappy, but Jerry just stood there like a moron explaining the joke to us for a long time. See also: When buckethead took his bucket off.

I wasnt a big fan of the episode in general and this is why, I think this is also the reason why someone said "Why did this feel like a family guy episode" earlier in the thread

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gorilla Salad posted:

Option A: Jerry is hallucinating several manifestations of his insecurities regarding his unemployment and divorce

Option B: Rick scienced up a way to gently caress with Jerry at every waking hour of his day just because it's fun for him to do so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't summer supposed to be like 14-15 or so? This is DEEPLY problematic!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baronjutter posted:

This is DEEPLY problematic!

shut the gently caress up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think my favorite joke was "I'm ALIIIIIiiiive. Hello"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

rydiafan posted:

Sorry in advance if this turns into a creepy derail, but I was a little surprised they went through with the underage character having sex, especially with an adult. I mean yeah, there's cannibalism, rape, and murder in this show so in the real world a 17 year old getting laid is way down in the list of terrible events, but American television stations tend to be gunshy about certain things.

Morty had a child, too! It probably helped that it was with a sex doll and the child was a Gazorpian, but that was still a 14 year old getting some.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

rydiafan posted:

In the Anatomy Park episode, old grandpa Rick somehow knew about the underage churro stand girl's puffy vagina. I can't figure out why they put that in.

e: And here is an answer https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593012&pagenumber=62&perpage=40#post428391745

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 31, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't really understand how anything in this episode could be construed as fanservice unless you count the, uh, 8 seconds of making out we see?

This episode is fun but honestly doesn't immediately stand out as anything special, although I did feel like it was really snappy. Rick & Morty is a tightly written show, and I felt like this episode had a ton of really quick gags, which I think really help the slow gags (Looooooser, Mustache Helmet, etc).

Rick & Morty sharing a tender moment drowning a twinkish albino despot in his taint scrubbing tub was a pitch perfect slice of where I think this show is going, an inexplicably dark-yet-endearing moment.

One minor thing I REALLY liked about this episode was the scene where Rick injects the muscle memory into Morty and immediately gets clotheslined 10 ft. You see a fraction of Rick's scientific mind at work. He's conducting a field experiment, his hypothesis (Morty will have one arm that becomes good at fighting) wasn't entirely wrong, but he kind of nervously observes "Ok, whoa, we're learning something about muscle memory". I might be a huge nerd for caring, but I really like that slice of Rick's mind, seeing the way he takes getting clobbered by one of his own creations and in real time adds it to the massive Rick-ipedia of his mind. Just excellent subtle delivery by Roiland.

I've also been thinking offhand: His full name is Richard Sanchez... or Ricardo Sanchez. Which do you think?

rydiafan posted:

The Summer-Hemorrhage scene is an order of magnitude less graphic than the King Jellybean scene in season 1, and since time seems to be progressing normally in universe and Summer was definitely 16 in S1, she's 18-ish now. Morty is decidedly a minor.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 31, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lick my balls ep2 unlikers. its, its the only way we can get ep2 to be good

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sticklefifer posted:

It's only happened in this one episode. It's, y'know, a joke.

Twice in the second episode.

First when he goes to get his stuff at the house, and second in the after credits bit with the wolf.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 31, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DarklyDreaming posted:

Option A: Jerry is hallucinating several manifestations of his insecurities regarding his unemployment and divorce

Option B: Rick scienced up a way to gently caress with Jerry at every waking hour of his day just because it's fun for him to do so.

I kind of hope there's an after credit scene later on that shows that Rick just follows Jerry around whispering "Loser" behind him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

I hated that joke because Rick and Morty is generally very fast paced and snappy, but Jerry just stood there like a moron explaining the joke to us for a long time. See also: When buckethead took his bucket off.

I wasnt a big fan of the episode in general and this is why, I think this is also the reason why someone said "Why did this feel like a family guy episode" earlier in the thread

I liked the episode but yeah the Buckethead joke was 100% Family Guy once it went past a certain point (i.e. the first 5 secons). I don't even think that's bad necessarily but the comparison is spot on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Meme Emulator posted:

I disagree, doing something fast paced with the wolf joke wouldn't have been as funny. The gag is that Jerry has a lot of options (run away, kick the wolf, throw his food at the wolf) and somehow manages to talk himself into picking the worst one (give the wolf his unemployment check).

And the funniest part is he was right! The wolf actually did want his paycheck. Being spineless and paranoid was the correct choice, because the universe has decided to gently caress him over in whatever way it can.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Guy A. Person posted:

I liked the episode but yeah the Buckethead joke was 100% Family Guy once it went past a certain point (i.e. the first 5 secons). I don't even think that's bad necessarily but the comparison is spot on.

I disagree, I didn't think it was a joke I thought It was intentional character development. It's not a gag that hemmhorage is vain and neurotic, the point of that scene was almost how UN-funny his behavior is.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Buckethead is a man who is insecure and only thrives in a lawless apocolyapse and goes back to being useless once society reemerges.

Buckethead is a Jerry.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

World Famous W posted:

Buckethead is a man who is insecure and only thrives in a lawless apocolyapse and goes back to being useless once society reemerges.

Buckethead is a Jerry.

Seriously, in Cronenberg world, Jerry is the king and has a great relationship with his wife.

In a normal world, he kind of sucks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, Rick and Morty never goes for an overlong joke.

(ignores 100 years Rick and Morty, ignores dipping sauce Rick and Morty, ignores getting your poo poo together, ignores you can run but you can't hide bitch....)

It's inevitable. The show hit season three. It's time to play TV IV Season three bingo with squares like "Family Guy humor", "characters are caricatures of what they were", "lazy writing", and "fan pandering."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

World Famous W posted:

Buckethead is a Jerry.

Summer calls him out as a coward the second she meets him too.

"Am I just like the burnt dolls guy?" is a funny identity crisis for him to have. The wasteland turning into suburbia and the plight of Robomorty were also brilliant. Excellent episode.

quote:

Was it even that long? People complaining about a 30-second gag.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 31, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I even said it wasn't bad, but that it was the same type of humor FG uses. Which is fine since it's once in one episode over the course of the entire series, it's just an observation. Jesus, chill.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I think the only reason this may have felt weak to some is that it wasn't intended to be the "comeback" season premiere. Had we watched Rickshank Redemption last night it would have been a knockout.

Yeah this. Episode was fine but Rickshank redemption was way too good.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

(ignores 100 years Rick and Morty, ignores dipping sauce Rick and Morty, ignores getting your poo poo together, ignores you can run but you can't hide bitch....)

It's inevitable. The show hit season three. It's time to play TV IV Season three bingo with squares like "Family Guy humor", "characters are caricatures of what they were", "lazy writing", and "fan pandering."

People were saying that in season 2 with the second Interdimensional TV episode

Not every episode is gonna land the same way for everyone, what makes this show work is that it throws out enough stuff that enough of it sticks for everyone. Like there are episodes from the first 2 seasons that I dislike, but I can totally understand why people really enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone looks the same but it would be cool if the characters actually aged year to year rather than stayed locked-in the same ages for decades like most cartoons. Or not, but it would be something new.