Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, that's true. Unless, of course, market research forecasts that more people buying at less cost would make them more money than less people buying at more cost. But I don't know if New GW does market research or if being ignorant of that is still a point of pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought the entire point of wiping the slate clean was because they didn't want people to have to carry multiple books to games. I also could have sworn their original statement was that rules would be free, like in AoS, but faction specific stuff would be in a codex.

I mean, it's par for the course for GW. I'm not surprised at the cost of stuff. At least it's good enough for the money.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

All of this looks real good to me.

Also today on Atia's Blog, someone posted a bunch of info on the other legion rules pulled from the upcoming White Dwarf:

- Night Lords: -1 to Ld for each NL unit with 6" (supposedly stacks)
- Iron Warriors: Some bonus vs. units in cover, bonus while being shot in cover
- Word Bearers: Re-roll Morale tests
- Black Legion: +1 Ld, bonus for Advancing and shooting
- World Eaters: Auto pass morale checks while in melee
- Alpha Legion: Infiltrate/deep strike units more than 12" away from enemy units

And apparently the NL strategem gives shooting attacks against them -1 to hit
If the Night Lords trait stacks, I'm sold. Raptors already have a -1 ld effect which would turn into a -2. Toss in a character and you're at -3. :getin:

Their stratagem already leaked and it's 1 command point to make enemies suffer -1 to hit one of your infantry units with shooting. Kind of a knock-off of the Raven Guard chapter tactics, but it works at any range and it's called In Midnight Clad :black101:. Unfortunately, overwatch can't be modified so Night Lords can't use it to avoid that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

I thought the entire point of wiping the slate clean was because they didn't want people to have to carry multiple books to games. I also could have sworn their original statement was that rules would be free, like in AoS, but faction specific stuff would be in a codex.

I mean, it's par for the course for GW. I'm not surprised at the cost of stuff. At least it's good enough for the money.

No, the point of wiping the slate and having Indexes was so that armies weren't stuck playing with old-edition noncompatible rules for however long. It meant they could actually have a NEW edition without having to worry about backwards compatibility with 5+ year old books.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

That loving EC stratagem is loving :awesome:

I only have about 800 points of Emperor's Children, but that consists of a hellbrute, sorcerer terminator, possessed, chosen, cultists, and daemonettes. Not including characters.

Can't wait for this codex :dance:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JoshTheStampede posted:

I mean, I would love it if 40k moved towards free rules like many other game companies do. I play Infinity and Malifaux and the rules there are either free or all in one book/come with models. Its great. I just don't expect them to do that since they've never hinted they would and they seem to like their business model. And its expensive to play but obviously here I am so its not too expensive for me to deal with.

Right now it looks like the model is Free base rules + free unit rules with the units packaged after 8th edition was released + free points values online, but that doesn't cover the army special rules you need to get from the codex. Though I think that in this edition you can get by with just the cost of a single codex, especially if you're new, which is a step up from prior editions.

I think the rules should be free, but I also don't have a problem with GW charging for them, particularly in printed form.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm trying to wrap my head around how assaults work in 8th, especially now that Initiative is completely gone, ran into a snag with who can fight. The rules say that anyone within 1" of the enemy gets to fight, any model within 1" of such an ally gets to fight. The rulebook says that this represents ranks of 2, but wouldn't that be 3? If a model is in base contact, his buddy is contact with him, and another is in contact with that guy, that means 3 models get to fight. What am I missing?

This example presumes 1" bases, thank heck that Pox Walkers still have those.

RIP small bases for Marines, people were always so delighted when I pointed out that the bases are 1" so you don't need to measure for attack ranges in close combat.

I made an army roster, turns out I have a 1,500 point army once my slug bros arrive, which is a relief. Nurgle Heralds can't take a Palaquin, which is lovely, so I have to take Epidemius instead. Whatever, at least he has Smite.

The only spanner in the cogs is that I need to get wings for my Daemon Princes so I'm not totally incapable of taking on Flyers. The appropriate wings I found from a bits vendor were out of stock. So, a Daemon Prince with wings has the same Power Level as one without them, but if using Points the one with wings costs more? Buh?

I ordered Rot Grubs, which look disgusting and at $3 a model are far better than the $8 per for Nurgling models.
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p299805.html

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
25mm is slightly less than 1 inch, so yes, f you had them in a line in base to base contact you could get 3 ranks in melee like that with 25mm bases.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

25mm is slightly less than 1 inch, so yes, f you had them in a line in base to base contact you could get 3 ranks in melee like that with 25mm bases.

4, actually. Ranks 1 and 2 are themselves eligible for being within an inch, and ranks 3 and 4 are by definition within 1 inch of rank 2, if everyone is touching.

That requires perfect lineups and room to do all that, but given perfect circumstances 25mm bases can get 4 ranks into melee.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also today on Atia's Blog, someone posted a bunch of info on the other legion rules pulled from the upcoming White Dwarf:

- Alpha Legion: Infiltrate/deep strike units more than 12" away from enemy units

Most of these are boring, but the Night Lords one is actually really cool and good and fluffy too.

Like seriously the Word Bearers, Black Legion and World Eaters bonuses are sooooo boring.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 31, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Black Legion one is similar to the Ultramarines one.

Also we can't really judge the legions purely on those Legion rules. The Stratagems also expand them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm still debating whether to run Primaris successor Alpha Legion or just Alpha Legion using C:CSM.

That legion bonus is pretty boring, but effective. But I could just play reiver heavy and get the same thing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

same

As long as they're hardcover I get why they're $50. I'd rather have softcover $25 books, though.

I love the rapid FAQs, errata, and updates though.

Those skulls are loving rad and I'm going to buy at least one box of them.

All of this looks real good to me.

There has to be more to it than that, otherwise the word bearers one is terrible.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm still debating whether to run Primaris successor Alpha Legion or just Alpha Legion using C:CSM.

That legion bonus is pretty boring, but effective. But I could just play reiver heavy and get the same thing.

You could run them as both! Put really subtle Chaos iconography on them, and just say they're infiltrating.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zuul the Cat posted:

You could run them as both! Put really subtle Chaos iconography on them, and just say they're infiltrating.

Hell, even Chaos AL don't wear Chaos iconography. Only real problem is there's a bunch of models that don't really cross over. Like primaris don't mix heavy weapons into squads.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hell, even Chaos AL don't wear Chaos iconography. Only real problem is there's a bunch of models that don't really cross over. Like primaris don't mix heavy weapons into squads.

That's easy to get around though. You can pick up individual Primaris dudes on eBay to swap in and out. You might have to convert some of the weapons, but it's doable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could always just run Codex: Normal Marines and say they're recent converts/renegades and still using normal Astartes tactics and equipment.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

4, actually. Ranks 1 and 2 are themselves eligible for being within an inch, and ranks 3 and 4 are by definition within 1 inch of rank 2, if everyone is touching.

That requires perfect lineups and room to do all that, but given perfect circumstances 25mm bases can get 4 ranks into melee.

Good grief, you're right. The 2nd rank is itself a 'within 1" of the enemy' model.

This is the one major slip I've read in the rules so far, the rest of it is excessively simple and free of caveats, which I like.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

*except for terrain

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Artum posted:

There has to be more to it than that, otherwise the word bearers one is terrible.

While not the most exciting I could easily see them getting something that buffs Dark Apostles either through Warlord traits,relics, etc etc and if you're Word Bearers you're definitely running Dark Apostles. Even with just that trait that means they're very unlikely to fail morale tests within the DA's bubble. I'll wait till we actually see everything before calling anything a stinker.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Not sure that needed two posts, but I think the Word Bearers one is fine. It'll need the broader context of relics/strategems and there may be more to it, but having ATSKNF on your dudes is a fine bonus for Word Bearers to get on top of Death to the False Emperor and whatever bonuses they may get from marks of chaos

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

TheChirurgeon posted:

shaking_perturabo.gif

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So is a Terminator captain with the Shield Eternal and Burning Blade and the +1W/FNP trait the new Smashfucker?

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 31, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

shaking_perturabo.gif
I got you

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

JoshTheStampede posted:

So is a Terminator captain with the Shield Eternal and Burning Blade and the +1W/FNP trait the new Smashfucker?

You can't have two relics on one dude.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Naramyth posted:

Huh, I didn't notice that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Naramyth posted:

Blood Ravens chapter tactic.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Deptfordx posted:

Blood Ravens chapter tactic.

Make it include any chapter's relics, as well as Chaos legion relics, and we have a deal.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Bee posted:

Make it include any chapter's relics, as well as Chaos legion relics

I thought that went without saying.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Talos of the Night Lords can run at 87km/h

E: That's 54 miles per hr he is a quick scary boy

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 31, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

Talos of the Night Lords can run at 87km/h

E: That's 54 miles per hr he is a quick scary boy

Anyone who's legion has that much practice running away from fair fights could be that fast.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

TheChirurgeon posted:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
EC have always strike first and a second round of shooting strategem. loving what up.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Time to strap on the dong armour lads.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

I'm actually surprised you're happy with this. More than 12 puts you outside of even rapid fire for bolters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

I'm actually surprised you're happy with this. More than 12 puts you outside of even rapid fire for bolters.

I think that it might be "enemy units must set up at least 12" away from your units" which would be loving amazing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

I think that it might be "enemy units must set up at least 12" away from your units" which would be loving amazing.
Infiltrate has never worked like that. The Alpha Legion units are the ones who the limitation will apply to.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Endman posted:

That's ridiculous. I'm lucky if my opponent has painted their stuff at all; I'd never get mad at a ham for different colours or models. :psyduck:

That's why the smartest hams of all never paint their mans.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Anyone tried removing the various insignias on the primaries aggressors and traverse to male them look more generically sci-fi? Someone upthread was saying aggressors reminded them of Mobile Infantry and I wondered if anyone has tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think there are a lot cheaper options for generic SF military minis, though.