Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

happyhippy posted:

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
Scaramucci , Scaramucci , will you be a Fox journo?
Preibus and Bannon slighting,
Very, very frightening me.
(Im so macho) Macho.
(Im so macho) Macho,
Mafiso Machio
Magaifico-o-o-o-o.

I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me.
He's just a poor boy from a Long Island family,
Spare him his life from a Fox consultancy.

Easy come, easy go, will you let me go?
JohnKelly! Yes, we will now let you go. (Let him go!)
JohnKelly! We will now let you go. (Let him go!)
JohnKelly! We will now let you go. (Let me go!)
Will now let you go. (Let me go!)
Wife just let you go (Never, never, never, never let me go)
Oh oh oh oh
No, no, no, no, no, no, no
Oh, maga mia, maga mia (Maga mia, let me go.)
Hannity has an hour put aside for me, for me, for me.

Magnifico!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The mooch is gonna get lit and call some journalists, probably by the end of the week.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Even as incompetent as Trump is he has to realize that ten days wouldn't be enough to stop all the leaks with anything short of public executions and secret police.

It's hilarious because its partly the secret police that is doing the leaking.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Did Trump fire Scaramucci because he got defensive about the self-suck comments? Is the pee tape gonna be a shameful President piss in he own mouth?

Trump fired Scaramucci because people were talking about Scaramucci and not Donald J. Trump.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Trump noticed that Mooch was looking older than usual and he ditched him so that he can get a younger, newer model.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/892098367018475520

ahahahaha he might not even get the tax break for when you're forced to divest to work in government
Huh, I wish this had more details. All it's got is

quote:

"Under IRS code, a person investing the proceeds of an asset sale — undertaken to avoid a conflict of interest — in an approved way will not pay the higher capital gains taxes until those approved assets are sold,"
Any armchair (or real) tax lawyers around - is there an actual dodge here to sell as much stuff as possible "to avoid a conflict of interest" and invest with lower cap gains rates?

I mean, assuming you were working for as unethical an administration but a far more trustworthy-to-not-backstab-you one as this.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Ripoff posted:

Here's hoping Kelley sees Trump as an irredeemable rear end in a top hat and leaks like a diaper holding back the Hoover Dam.

I think Kelly sees Trump as the right President to help implement policy that fits Kelly's demented world view

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think Kelly sees Trump as the right President to help implement policy that fits Kelly's demented world view

Everyone since fired by Trump once thought exactly this way.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

It's not just that it worked. How the hell do you even think of this as part of a plan. The only thing I got is the peanut butter was smeared there as vandalism and then they just took advantage of it. I can't imagine somebody said "So the first thing we do is get peanut butter..."

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXOUjNCgIV0/?taken-by=katehudson

It's only monday.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I can't believe it's only Wednesday.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
poo poo I just remembered there's a part in The Thick of It where a new cabinet member makes some goof and is worried she's going to get fired. Malcom Tucker reassures her that it won't happen because if the PM fires a cabinet member 2 weeks after he appointed her, it will look like his gently caress up, not hers.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The saddest thing about today is that we'll never get anymore mini-mooch GIFs. :negative:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

evilweasel posted:

ahahahaha he might not even get the tax break for when you're forced to divest to work in government

Stop! Stop! He's already deeeaaad!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This is a lot of stuff to happen in one month

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Fart City posted:

Stop! Stop! He's already deeeaaad!

Here lies the Mooch.
He never scored
a tax break

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
How long will it be until we only vaguely remember Mooch and see it as an oddly saner, funnier time?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Flip Yr Wig posted:

How long will it be until we only vaguely remember Mooch and see it as an oddly saner, funnier time?

It will probably take about a month or two. So tomorrow in this timeline.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

CNN reporting that Trump has 100% confidence in all cabinet members, so this should be the last time something like this happens.

If sports has ever taught me anything, no one ever is asked to give a vote of confidence to someone who is doing well, its only when things are going badly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

This is a lot of stuff to happen in one month

The cycles are accelerating

In a few more weeks of real-time every real-day will be ten subjective Trump-days instead of the current three

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Flip Yr Wig posted:

When Bannon's cock sucking video is aired to cover up the Trump piss one.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In a few more weeks of real-time every real-day will be ten subjective Trump-days instead of the current three

I never really understood the plot of Final Fantasy VIII but I think this is the same sort of thing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Huh, I wish this had more details. All it's got is

Any armchair (or real) tax lawyers around - is there an actual dodge here to sell as much stuff as possible "to avoid a conflict of interest" and invest with lower cap gains rates?

I mean, assuming you were working for as unethical an administration but a far more trustworthy-to-not-backstab-you one as this.

The purpose is to allow people entering federal service liquidate any holding which might be a conflict of interest (like stock in a company regulated by the department they are joining) and transfer that money into something like a diversified mutual fund. Normally that would trigger capital gains taxes, but the special exemption lets you do it tax free. I think when you sell in the future you still pay capital gains on the later asset as though you had always had the money there so it is less a dodge and more just some shifting money around without penalty.

Mooch sold his hedge fund. Any capital gains from that (and there are likely a ton) will now be taxed.

He is still going to have more money than anyone would ever need.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 31, 2017

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLS2D_UREQE

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Throwing Turtles posted:

It's not just that it worked. How the hell do you even think of this as part of a plan. The only thing I got is the peanut butter was smeared there as vandalism and then they just took advantage of it. I can't imagine somebody said "So the first thing we do is get peanut butter..."

Prisoners have an unfathomable amount of time to just think of ways to escape, smuggle contraband, and make weapons using their limited resources, and they come up with some wild poo poo. Why not give it a shot, they have nothing but time, and John Dillinger broke out of jail using a bar of soap.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/881142503486959617

Pretty soon we'll all be the kid from the Jaunt.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

happyhippy posted:

When Bannon's cock sucking video is aired to cover up the Trump piss one.
Honestly would you really want to watch either of these?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I can't wait for these slow summer months to yield to the busier fall months.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

Honestly would you really want to watch either of these?
I'd want to watch the Trump pee tape just for the novelty of it. Trump is just an observer to the act, apparently, so it's not like it's a sex tape.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/881142503486959617

Pretty soon we'll all be the kid from the Jaunt.

The office of the president is certainly aging me prematurely.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'd want to watch the Trump pee tape just for the novelty of it. Trump is just an observer to the act, apparently, so it's not like it's a sex tape.

That's how I defend my weird fetishes too. It's okay, we don't kink shame here.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Death to Moochy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

evilweasel posted:

I would unironically be ok with this guy's life being completely ruined. The only downside is that it likely won't ruin anyone else tied to Trump's shitheap administration.

mango sentinel posted:

This is gonna be less funny after he kills himself for burning down his entire life within a week.

That'd make it even funnier, actually.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

if you want to see chaos you should see my brother around a dog

hahaha holy gently caress

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was just watching the piss tape to show my family that it existed, I swear

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I was just watching the piss tape to show my family that it existed, I swear
I was just trying to learn conversational Russian.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cabbit posted:

I'm actually more pissed now because apparently the system is set up in such a way that this idiot would have made in excess of ten million dollars off this loving job via tax avoidance.

eh, not really, prepare for a boring digression into tax law

capital gains works by calculating the difference between what you paid for something (the "basis") and what you got when you sell it. it's taxed when you sell it, not before: you're only taxed on actual profits and not paper profits. so lets say his property all had a "basis" of $50 million, he sold it for $100 million, he would, this year, pay taxes on the $50 million profit

however his sale wasn't entirely voluntary here: he sold it to comply with ethics laws to work in government. what the IRS regulations let you do in those cases is use the money you received to invest in something else - say, an index fund - and keep the original basis. so that doesn't eliminate the taxes - it defers them.

so, if he got the job, he would have sold his company, recieved $100 million, dumped that $100 million in an index fund, and that index fund would have a "basis" of $50 million. i.e., when he sells the index fund, he pays the original taxes then.

if he doesn't get the job, he will invest the money in the index fund, get a tax bill on his $50 million profit, and then the "basis" of the index fund will be $100 million and he will only be taxed on any gains from that point

so basically, what this would let him do is defer paying the taxes, not avoid them entirely. this is actually fairly reasonable if you assume that people taking government jobs are forced to liquidate investments frequently and you don't want to make merely taking the admin job a taxable event.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SirPablo posted:

I can't wait for these slow summer months to yield to the busier fall months.

Trump giving a speech at McCain's funeral about how much he beat Hillary with the electoral vote..

HelmutVonSchmeller
Nov 23, 2007
Oooh, it's a jellyfish!

KodiakRS posted:

Oh god, he's going to gently caress with Venezuela to draw attention away from his domestic failures isn't he?

We are literally living in Super Sad True Love Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
HAhahaha get hosed Christie

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/politics/chris-christie-beach-house-law/index.html?sr=twCNN073117chris-christie-beach-house-law0459PMVODtop

cnn.com posted:

The New Jersey General Assembly approved a bill to close the governor's beach house during government shutdowns.

• Locked thread