Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pagancow posted:

identify this motherfucker and when you see it throw that display and signal generator chain in the garbage and start over

ok i made it HD and fixed the banding, here u go:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

might as well stop watching anything that isnt the most viewed thing in the world

so u can only watch gungnam style and that bieber video

gl hf

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fishmech posted:

ok i made it HD and fixed the banding, here u go:

cool i can look at this now without having to commit monitor seduku

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

So yeah. Netflix dolby vision stuff. All I see are compression artifacts and hosed up looking contrast. What is this poo poo anyways? Looks like poo poo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dolby Vision gives you 12-bit color channels if all your equipment supports it, and some sort of inter-scene adjustment capability. that said, apparently its implementation might be a bit hosed rn and that's part of why many new Ultra HD Blu-ray discs still don't have it

do you actually have a dolby vision tv?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My understanding is that for implementation Dolby vision is currently on like one Blu ray player and one random windows application and that's it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

My understanding is that for implementation Dolby vision is currently on like one Blu ray player and one random windows application and that's it

vudu and i think a few other us-only streaming apps offer stuff in dolby vision. there are at least 3 uhd blu-ray players (2 from oppo and 1 from lg) that support it, but i've heard stirrings that at least with the oppo players the dv stuff can work incorrectly

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why cant they just give you a better bitrate instead of whatever the gently caress they are doing instead? it's not like you can see more than 3 colors

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
more like dummy vision

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hifi posted:

why cant they just give you a better bitrate instead of whatever the gently caress they are doing instead? it's not like you can see more than 3 colors

but they still exist!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ok cool so I'll just stick with the free version of plex. Thanks! :thumbsup:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have TNG on Blu-ray op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

univbee posted:

do you actually have a dolby vision tv?

yeah

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I have TNG on Blu-ray op

me too. they are pro af

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

could be the fuckery i was alluding to earlier, it's like the implementation needs more time in the oven

hdr10 stuff is ok?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

univbee posted:

could be the fuckery i was alluding to earlier, it's like the implementation needs more time in the oven

hdr10 stuff is ok?

Amazon prime has hdr10 stuff. It all looks the same to me. Oversaturated and blown out. Kind of like how they have TVs set up at best buy. I've turned all the sharpening and whatnot off. I have a lg b6 oled.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

close my analog hole

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HDR is going to look over saturated because you are use to looking at a standard from 1996 if you look at rec709 all day

the consensus is to master everything around the same level of 120-160 nits as you use to and then let highlights rise up into >500 range.

average brightness levels of the whole screen should appear as their rec709 counterparts but highlights are way better

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

!!!an engineering problem appears!!!

Not every display can hit the rec.2020 color space, nor the 10,000 nits of brightness the standard supports.

Dolby has come along with a solution to add a per-frame metadata that tells you what the movie was mastered on. Each DV display has a color and brightness profile and color + brightness management occurs on the display giving you the closest representation your asus gamer poo poo panel can do (assuming they pay for the license for DV lolollolo or calibrate HAHAHAHHAHAWHEHWAHA)

Otherwise, it's just like rec.709 all over again where there's a standard, you master to it, but nobody knows if the light gracing your precious eyes is anywhere near correct.

The way most TV's handle brightness OVER what the display can handle is to just clip it, so enjoy your blown highlights hrd10ailures

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

dolby vision also standardizes the math all this stuff occurs on so you can guarantee some form of uniformity across different display, color gamuts, and brightness levels.

HDR10 leaves it up to the TV manufacturers so get ready to get surrounded by the cloud of buzzwords when shopping for a tv

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

dolby vision = the cool guy in the black leather jacket riding off into the beautiful sunset that is color space accurate

hdr10 = ford fiesta without a bumper

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
fyi here is the actual hdr10 logo requirements: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hdr.htm#ultrahd_premium

dci-p3

.05 - 1000 nits or .005 - 540 nits

3840 x 2160 res ( 4k :downs: )

10 bit

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

dolby vision = the cool guy in the black leather jacket riding off into the beautiful sunset that is color space accurate

hdr10 = ford fiesta without a bumper

it all looks like garbage and I wish netflix had an option to turn it off

also it makes subtitles way the gently caress too bright

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

^-- lol, hdr has many pitfalls for stupid idiot developers. max every channel = neutral white right???

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

reminder that people struggle to see ~10 nits too well in a well-lit room. that second bracket is a huge cop to display manufacturer's delusions.

also per-frame metadata is stupid and i'd be surprised if the dolby solution that ships actually uses it for anything

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Per frame metadata makes sense in live TV where you cant guarentee what brightness levels you're going to get when you point the camera at a sunny area or dim area of the field.

or in open world video games where you have huge swaths of dynamic range and want it to be mapped in a reasonable way when going inside and outside buildings

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

it all looks like garbage and I wish netflix had an option to turn it off

also it makes subtitles way the gently caress too bright

lol throw your garbage tv in the trash subtitles should be at 100 nits, not max brightness and your tv generates those lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

fyi here is the actual hdr10 logo requirements: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hdr.htm#ultrahd_premium

dci-p3

3840 x 2160 res ( 4k :downs: )

10 bit

these are min specs but you master for 10,000 nits brightness, rec.2020 color space in PQ gamma space because hdr10 is display referred and you have to pray the display is actually working properly.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol this is yospos people are just going to watch movies with a contrast plugin placed on top of the video being played in rec.709 space and then get all huffy when you tell them that their cop drama thing isn't looking the way its supposed to because yall use to looking at asus gamer tn special

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
OR

the reason most HDR stuff looks oversaturated is because they crank the contrast and saturation when re"mastering" the HDR version because more contrast + more saturation = better, right? :w00t:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

For some releases MAYBE, but I watched Lego Batman in Dolby Vision and it looked great.

If you're on an HDR10 set all bets are off on how it displays on your screen.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
new movies might look good in hdr if mastered properly using a non-retarded standard that anyone bothers to fully and correctly implement, but existing stuff is just gonna use the existing masters but have the contrast, brightness, and saturation cranked up, whether it looks good or was the original intent or not.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think the only non-tn panel i own is in my cell phone

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ok so yospos recco is like an lg c7 w/a chromecast ultra showing netflix content? no don't bring up physical media plz

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

just use windows media files they're fine

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I think the scene is good and does important work

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pagancow posted:

dolby vision also standardizes the math all this stuff occurs on so you can guarantee some form of uniformity across different display, color gamuts, and brightness levels.

HDR10 leaves it up to the TV manufacturers so get ready to get surrounded by the cloud of buzzwords when shopping for a tv

gently caress yeah bring back the yellow sub pixels that don't even turn on

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

pagancow posted:

lol throw your garbage tv in the trash subtitles should be at 100 nits, not max brightness and your tv generates those lol

afaict Netflix apps do they own subtitles

maybe not on smart TVs but lmao if you use that crap

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HDR is the future, even apple iPad can play back PQ encoded video even if the display is only 600 nits (not HDR by the standards, but hey 4G was not actually 4G in the US until it got reclassified soooooooo)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

afaict Netflix apps do they own subtitles

maybe not on smart TVs but lmao if you use that crap

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the searing bright white subtitles is a netflix app bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

so do not all hd blu ray players support all of the different hdr standards? if i wanted to buy one and not spend a fortune what should I get??

• Locked thread