Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I blame the whole thing on Stranger Things. Stephen King tweeted how much he liked the show, and felt that ya know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Stephen King himself says this but I honestly don't see it. Stranger Things had way more of a "John Carpenter does Akira by way of Silent Hill" vibe.

Also no way is DT getting a sequel. Unless the Chinese are weird again and make it a hit overseas that flick is bombing regardless of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Stephen King himself says this but I honestly don't see it. Stranger Things had way more of a "John Carpenter does Akira by way of Silent Hill" vibe.

Also no way is DT getting a sequel. Unless the Chinese are weird again and make it a hit overseas that flick is bombing regardless of quality.

Yeah I really don't care if DT gets a sequel at this point.

Just glad ST2 is dropping this October 27th

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

The stuff about a government agency experimenting on people or developing Psy powers is pretty Firestartery.

Overall I think it's just capturing that 70s pulp horror fiction vibe, as referenced by the title design.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

The stuff about a government agency experimenting on people or developing Psy powers is pretty Firestartery.

Overall I think it's just capturing that 70s pulp horror fiction vibe, as referenced by the title design.

Eleven definitely had a Firestarter feel to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6iM3zsUs0

I'd only recently finished watching the movie with Drew Barrymore and never finished that book.

e: for whatever reason i didn't care for that movie, it had a good conclusion but a lot of it bored me

same thing with Cujo, Christine and Carrie

just didn't care for his earliest work in film form so I couldn't get through the books

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 30, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I suppose. I guess it's the meme that the show IS Stephen King that I don't get. I see the traces, I just see a lot of equal traces.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Either way "steal from the best"

Your creative writing 101 instructor will inform you there are only three plots in existence and you can mash them up into just one plot but the first one is always "A Stranger comes to Town"

Wiki claims there are 7 basic plots and there is the nine-plot theory as well but I mostly agree with the writing of the three.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I suppose. I guess it's the meme that the show IS Stephen King that I don't get. I see the traces, I just see a lot of equal traces.

The character named Steve (not Stephen) was an interesting one on ST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMqLvXIpV8

extreme rear end in a top hat, and totally redeemed himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2su0oMUYNT4

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've heard only two. "A dinner party" and "A stranger comes to town."

It's just the meme that pisses me off. The show was really John Carpenter and features The Thing poster and the movie itself in the show, but it gets sold as this lost Stephen King piece instead. I get why, it just bugs me.

E--hah yeah I get it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I've heard only two. "A dinner party" and "A stranger comes to town."

It's just the meme that pisses me off. The show was really John Carpenter and features The Thing poster and the movie itself in the show, but it gets sold as this lost Stephen King piece instead. I get why, it just bugs me.

E--hah yeah I get it

All I can say is I follow SK on twitter and he loved the show and took it as a compliment.

He's not going to go broke being ripped off by Netflix.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Eleven definitely had a Firestarter feel to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6iM3zsUs0

I'd only recently finished watching the movie with Drew Barrymore and never finished that book.

e: for whatever reason i didn't care for that movie, it had a good conclusion but a lot of it bored me

just didn't care for his earliest work in film form so I couldn't get through the books

Firestarter the book is a million times better than the film. You should definitely finish it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Firestarter the book is a million times better than the film. You should definitely finish it.

Will do.

I stalled on Pet Semetary as well but was really loving that book. Barely remember the movie other than it had Denise Crosby.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

syscall girl posted:

Will do.

I stalled on Pet Semetary as well but was really loving that book. Barely remember the movie other than it had Denise Crosby.

I read Pet Sematary last year for the first time and it shot up the ranks of my favorite King books immediately. That book was great. The movie was garbage, though.

Definitely finish that book, however.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

I read Pet Sematary last year for the first time and it shot up the ranks of my favorite King books immediately. That book was great. The movie was garbage, though.

Definitely finish that book, however.

The scene with Louis Creed Maine M.D.

Louis himself has a traumatic experience during the first week of classes. Victor Pascow, a student who has been fatally injured in an automobile accident, addresses his dying words to Louis personally, even though the two men are strangers. On the night following Pascow's death, Louis experiences what he believes is a very vivid dream in which he meets Pascow, who leads him to the "sematary" and warns Louis to not "go beyond, no matter how much you feel you need to." Louis wakes up in bed the next morning convinced it was, in fact, a dream—until he finds his feet and the bedsheets covered with dirt and pine needles. Nevertheless, Louis dismisses the dream as the product of the stress he experienced during Pascow's death, coupled with his wife's lingering anxieties about the subject of death.

Was just horrifying.

The sex bits were a comfort compared to that scene.

I'm just at the part where he's dug up his son

It was almost funny in the movie but the book is a whole other story.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I can full understand why people in this thread who are parents find that book just the worst thing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

syscall girl posted:

The scene with Louis Creed Maine M.D.

Louis himself has a traumatic experience during the first week of classes. Victor Pascow, a student who has been fatally injured in an automobile accident, addresses his dying words to Louis personally, even though the two men are strangers. On the night following Pascow's death, Louis experiences what he believes is a very vivid dream in which he meets Pascow, who leads him to the "sematary" and warns Louis to not "go beyond, no matter how much you feel you need to." Louis wakes up in bed the next morning convinced it was, in fact, a dream—until he finds his feet and the bedsheets covered with dirt and pine needles. Nevertheless, Louis dismisses the dream as the product of the stress he experienced during Pascow's death, coupled with his wife's lingering anxieties about the subject of death.

Was just horrifying.

The sex bits were a comfort compared to that scene.

I'm just at the part where he's dug up his son

It was almost funny in the movie but the book is a whole other story.

The whole book was just a brilliant American gothic story, and probably one of the best things King's written that's "horrific" in ways that are genuinely disturbing rather than just CREEPY CLOWN or CRAZY PERSON OUT TO GETCHA.

Like, there's a "wrongness" to everything that goes down in Pet Sematary. He also does a very good job in describing why digging up dead things and bringing them back to life feels like an abomination against nature and God and goodness. It's not just creepy or weird, like most of the stuff that happens in his books that I've read, it feels actually evil.

Also LATE BOOK SPOILER DON'T READ YET IF YOU AIN'T FINISHED IT: "I saw her there, Jud." :stonk:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 30, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I forgot I loved Jud Crandall in the movie.

As played by Fred Gwynne (1926–1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7zXMGMiHE

His goofy accent really lightened things up. His character in the book, not so much.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

syscall girl posted:

You really do yourself a disservice by having seen these movies first and associating the books with them.

Because I am old, I read many of these books before the movies were made.

Of all the stuff King has written that has had film adaptions, a relatively small percentage resulted in films that were good. Earlier in his career, Hollywood didn't take horror very seriously or have much respect for it so a lot of the films of his stuff were studios hiring some hack to make a quick film to cash in on King's fame. The result? Not very good films.

So, just off the top of my head, the King adaptions that are good:

Misery
Carrie
The Green Mile
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
The Body (Stand By Me)
The Shining (I actually much prefer the book but we have that fight in the King and Horror Movie threads once in a while)
Apt Pupil (I actually like the film a bit better because it trims some of the fat out of the story, and also Ian McKellen)
The Dead Zone (been a long time since I've seen it and my impressions were not so strong. But like Firestarter I think this is one of his very best novels)

A lot of people like The Mist but I think it's "meh". Salem's Lot is so drat good as a book that despite any good points of the TV adaption it's still just needing the right treatment to make an epic American vampire flick.

Examples of really good King material that were made into "eh" movies would be stuff like the Catseye anthology movie and the Children of the Corn movies, along with Firestarter, sadly.

You'll notice that a few of these are not horror or supernatural at all.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

You really do yourself a disservice by having seen these movies first and associating the books with them.

Of all the stuff King has written that has had film adaptions, a relatively small percentage resulted in films that were good. Earlier in his career, Hollywood didn't take horror very seriously or have much respect for it so a lot of the films of his stuff were studios hiring some hack to make a quick film to cash in on King's fame. The result? Not very good films.

So, just off the top of my head, the King adaptions that are good:

Misery
Carrie
The Green Mile
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
The Body (Stand By Me)
The Shining (I actually much prefer the book but we have that fight in the King and Horror Movie threads once in a while)
Apt Pupil (I actually like the film a bit better because it trims some of the fat out of the story, and also Ian McKellen)
The Dead Zone (been a long time since I've seen it and my impressions were not so strong. But like Firestarter I think this is one of his very best novels)

A lot of people like The Mist but I think it's "meh". Salem's Lot is so drat good as a book that despite any good points of the TV adaption it's still just needing the right treatment to make an epic American vampire flick.

Examples of really good King material that were made into "eh" movies would be stuff like the Catseye anthology movie and the Children of the Corn movies, along with Firestarter, sadly.

You'll notice that a few of these are not horror or supernatural at all.

:agreed: on all points here.

I still love The Shining book and movie even though they are way different.

Apt Pupil was amazing. Need to revisit The Dead Zone (read those read The Green Mile as a serial before the movie, read IT before it was a mini-series, read The Stand before it was a mini-series)

Misery was amazing as a film but I don't recall if I read it.

And I have a certain love for The Body/Stand By Me for two reasons. One being his old tale about train-death in his actual childhood. Secondly the movie was set in my home state.

Watching it with my dad he recognized a lot of the shot locations.

Only other things he's had to say about Oregon were in Desperation and You Know They Got a Hell of a Band.

And that throw away line in Kubrick's The Shining where Jack mentions Portland Maine or Portland Oregon

Cuz they did some exterior shots at the Timberline Lodge here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJVVGzEbJC0

But he mostly talks about his Maine and now Florida.

And he's had some good shorts set in FL. There's a depressing place.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I always thought the Firestarter film was interesting because usually people are upset that an adaptation isn't like the book, lousy ones especially, but I remember firestarter being almost beat for beat an exact adaptation of the book. It just managed to suck every bit of life out of it and make it bland and boring as hell.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Really, this is the best way to read King's work.

And on a different note, if you didn't notice that Mathew Modine's Stranger Things character was a Cronenberg referncene...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Misery was the first King book I ever read. I was home sick, in the snow, and my mom bought it for me. I was maybe eleven years old. She never read Stephen King, so I don't think she was actively trolling me -- maybe she just saw the parallel to my situation from the cover and thought it was apt? -- but man did it ever stick with me. I still have a bookshelf at home with a ton of hardcovers from the Stephen King Library thing, where they sent you a new book each month.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Misery was the first King book I ever read. I was home sick, in the snow, and my mom bought it for me. I was maybe eleven years old. She never read Stephen King, so I don't think she was actively trolling me -- maybe she just saw the parallel to my situation from the cover and thought it was apt? -- but man did it ever stick with me. I still have a bookshelf at home with a ton of hardcovers from the Stephen King Library thing, where they sent you a new book each month.

Did she break your legs and call you a dirty bird?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I don't like Carrie at all, it's a very mean book in a lot of ways that read even more disturbingly today than they did 20 or 30 years ago. Cujo is viscerally intense and fueled by so much coke that King literally doesn't recall writing more than a sentence or two of it; not one I reread a lot, but certainly better than the film.

Christine, now, I could talk for a long time about why this is one of King's best books. It's "the silly haunted car story" to most folks but the car doesn't matter. The car is a stand-in for obsessive toxic machismo, the all-consuming fascination that too many men have with totems of manhood and living "tough" that can destroy them, their families, and their communities while robbing them of their individuality along the way. Or hard drugs. There are a lot of possible interpretations, but when it comes to Christine, the car isn't really the important thing. It's a really fine period piece, too, like a lot of King's stories, and you have a lot of interesting dichotomies in the characters. A lot of the time Dennis is your perspective, and Dennis is the anti-Arnie - professional-class parents, a manly football player who is secure in his masculinity and doesn't need to signal it outwardly. Dennis is trying to understand Arnie, a poor kid with poor prospects and a bit of a dweeb aside, across a huge gulf as Arnie falls deeper into the pit of Christine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Carrie is a great book and almost certainly the best film adaptation.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I never really thought of Carrie as "mean", but since you said it, yeah, that book is mean as hell. It's unabashedly willing to show us the hell that Carrie goes through and pulls no punches. I can't think of another King book that is just plain mean.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm curious to know why Carrie being a "mean" book that reads "disturbingly" is supposed to be a slam against it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Did she break your legs and call you a dirty bird?

Hobbling in the movie was painful to watch, but it was even worse in the book.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm curious to know why Carrie being a "mean" book that reads "disturbingly" is supposed to be a slam against it.

I'm not slamming it, I just don't care for it personally. King's horror is a lot more subtle and has less...denigration I suppose is the way to put it? in basically all of his other books. I have a hard time reconciling the two and I feel like Carrie is a really direct channel to some incredibly ugly feelings of King's that never show up again in his works.

That doesn't make it a bad book by any means, though. Almost nobody agrees with me, which is fine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hobbling in the movie was painful to watch, but it was even worse in the book.

I can't quite fathom it being worse in the book but I guess he managed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueHC7pgfYGU

Spoiler I guess

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HES right the book is worse

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

syscall girl posted:

I can't quite fathom it being worse in the book but I guess he managed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueHC7pgfYGU

Spoiler I guess

Great scene in a great movie. I've seen three, maybe four people whose ankles have looked like that. They splint up surprisingly well, the second one you could barely tell on the post-reduction film she'd come in with her foot sideways.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This was a thing before movie/tv violence became so blase.

I used to say that if you watched a Stephen King movie then the worst gross-outs you saw on screen were a mere shadow of what happened in the book. This was true for a long, long time.

Now, you have TV miniseries like The Shining that is very true to the book and would have been perfect if it weren't for the stupid kid they cast to play Danny. Now, you have movie adaptations like The Mist that are even more horrific than the novella.

The "hobbling" scene in Misery was not just worse, or far worse, it was brutally, existentially, unthinkably, and utterly casually brutal. I re-read Misery recently and, yeah. It's way way way way way worse.

E:

I always used Misery as my example. I would tell people who watched the movie and who were scarred by the scene by saying something like this:

"Yeah, that was really hard to watch. Now, in the book, leave out the sledge. Keep the block of wood, and add a bottle of iodine, a blow-torch, and a hatchet."

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 30, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Now, you have TV miniseries like The Shining that is very true to the book and would have been perfect if it weren't for the stupid kid they cast to play Danny.

The miniseries has way more problems than that little asthmatic weirdo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's fair, but the violence in the tv show was much truer to the book than in previous movie/tv adaptations. That's my main point, is that for a very long time the worst gore was changed or toned down for video adaptations. That has definitely changed, and I wonder what it means for IT and TDT.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The miniseries has way more problems than that little asthmatic weirdo.

I liked the Kubrick Shining (well loved it honestly) long before I ever read the book on a friend's recc.

The book was incredible and frankly the way it went rivalled A Stanley "loving" Kubrick movie which was impressive.

I loved the bits where SK made SK's Volkswagen Beetle the wrong color in the opening scene just to gently caress with him. And then had the proper colored Beetle in the scene where Halloran is rushing to Danny and Wendy's aid over the pass.

All the little details about their relationship entertain me. Especially the shaving-wake up call from SK to SK where he asked about ghosts.

But watching the mini-series--it was more faithful to the book which was good in some ways. Bowl-cut Danny annoyed me because I basically had the same haircut at his age and didn't speak well.

But the parts that were faithful to Jack's book character towards the end. His love affair with the Overlook and how he fought back at the end in spite of his alcoholic abusive past were great.

Danny run!

Run to the nearest hairdresser for the love of god Danny run I--I can't stop wanting to murder you RRUUUUNNN!!!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It didn't help the mini series that despite being faithful, so much of the scary and tense parts of the book just look hokey and bad on screen, at least with that production level.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All I remember from the miniseries was Jack looking like a Deadite in a dream sequence. I can't even imagine what the topiary animals looked like with CGI in its infancy, though I'm picturing green Langoliers.

Oh and someone said Jack was the guy from Wings and I thought he was the drummer or something. Didn't know there was a tv show called Wings.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Drunken Baker posted:

All I remember from the miniseries was Jack looking like a Deadite in a dream sequence. I can't even imagine what the topiary animals looked like with CGI in its infancy, though I'm picturing green Langoliers.

Oh and someone said Jack was the guy from Wings and I thought he was the drummer or something. Didn't know there was a tv show called Wings.

Well, I couldn't find a clip of the bad CGI animals, so take this one as compensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHH8OYFh-cE&t=63s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, I couldn't find a clip of the bad CGI animals, so take this one as compensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHH8OYFh-cE&t=63s

Stanley Kubrick you dead gently caress. This is your proof there is no afterlife. Enjoy feeling the same way you did before you were conceived.

You don't need to worry about ghosts anymore :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to say that I saw The Mist in theaters and had no idea it was even based on something King wrote. (I wouldn't read King until years later when I got The Shining audiobook. It was excellent) What I remember most about it are the villain and the ending. I can't remember hating a cinematic character more than I hated that vile woman. The ending too was extremely memorable.

I can't remember anything else really. I'm not sure if that makes it a good movie or not.