Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

SoldadoDeTone posted:

That's my problem. I haven't seriously played the game for years, but I've tried to get back into it half a dozen times (including getting the first expansion). But every time I log in I'm so overwhelmed by all of the content and the crazy gear everyone around me has, so I log off and uninstall.

I'm open to advice for how to handle this because I do like the game!

That's a pretty weird way of going about it, just like... Pick something.

For me, I got the game when it launched and I really liked exploring and 100%ing maps so I wanted to be one of the first people to get 100%, and I was probably pretty close to doing it. You want the crazy gear? Then just figure out what gear you want and chip away at it. There's a loooot of ways to go about getting exotic gear, if you want ascended start working on getting your crafting up. Or hell, do what I do and spend the majority of your time figuring out what look you like best and then working on getting all those costume pieces. Want to do all the story stuff? It goes in chronological order, just start blazing through it.

What do you do in other games that you enjoy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

This is just such an alien perspective to me. Having "too much to do" or "too many options" causing you to stop playing.
What games do you play,? Checkers? Tic-tac-toe? Rock-paper-scissors?

[Edit] Like, you are aware that in most games people pay money for more content, right?

It's probably more like "there's too much poo poo for me to catch up on, I don't feel like bothering."

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Blasphemeral posted:

This is just such an alien perspective to me. Having "too much to do" or "too many options" causing you to stop playing.
What games do you play,? Checkers? Tic-tac-toe? Rock-paper-scissors?

[Edit] Like, you are aware that in most games people pay money for more content, right?

Analysis paralysis is very much a real thing, man. And it varies in degree from person to person, but at some point everyone hits a threshold where the amount of effort they expend weighing and making a selection from a large number of choices exceeds the enjoyment they'd get from said choice, and they just walk away.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

It's probably more like "there's too much poo poo for me to catch up on, I don't feel like bothering."

This guy gets it. I stopped playing LoTRO when GW2 came out and went years without playing, but then decided to have a go. I'm on lifetime subscription and somehow got a lot of their in-game currency (Turbine points) so I bought all the expansion & quest packs & regions etc. they had released with the idea that I'd catch up fast. But it just felt SO daunting to level up, going through these regions after regions of unfamiliar territory, not knowing what I should do or where to go. People were talking about instances and currencies I didn't know and my knowledge was pretty much obsolete.

Although I will say that GW2 does not have as big of a problem, since there's a solid level cap and fewer maps and you don't need to necessarily replace your gear whenever there's new content. But I can sorta see where he's coming from with this idea.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can definitely see it being kind of daunting, but you just have to keep things in perspective and remember that you're actually not really behind at all. It's not like other games where all of a sudden you'd have to do LFG or raids for 2 months to catch up on the latest ilevel tier of gear, your full suit of exotics is still just as good as before and there isn't anything better. So remember that, start doing the living story (really, this is the best way to get back into things and see all the new zones), and take it easy and have fun.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

That's my problem. I haven't seriously played the game for years, but I've tried to get back into it half a dozen times (including getting the first expansion). But every time I log in I'm so overwhelmed by all of the content and the crazy gear everyone around me has, so I log off and uninstall.

I'm open to advice for how to handle this because I do like the game!

The thing I recommend is to pick an alt and then pick a specific but fairly basic goal. Like, I dunno, 'I'm gonna do the base game's story mode first' and then do that. You'll end up needing to do other odds and ends in the process of that, so by the time you finish the one thing, you'll have an idea what to do for the next.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Schpyder posted:

Analysis paralysis is very much a real thing, man. And it varies in degree from person to person, but at some point everyone hits a threshold where the amount of effort they expend weighing and making a selection from a large number of choices exceeds the enjoyment they'd get from said choice, and they just walk away.

This happens to me every time I look at my installed games (over 130) and then I just X out of Steam and play GW2 or D3 or Animal Crossing.

As for actual relevant advice, like others said just choose one or two things to work towards and focus on that. Something I've been doing since HoT came out is working on crafting a legendary and I finished over the weekend. I wasn't playing all these two years and I didn't only focus on making my legendary, and that's why it was never daunting despite needing thousands and thousands of wood logs and everything else. Being able to jump back and forth between different stuff helps a lot too. If I was farming wood for the precursor and got bored, I'd jump into WvW to work on getting something I needed for the legendary gifts. Think of the vast amount to do as a positive, because there's always something else to do if you get bored.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if it helps, gw2 is really nice about giving you materials and such for a wide variety of things just from doing anything at all. it all adds up over time and you'd be hard-pressed to find something in the game that doesn't benefit you in some way

except for erp, which only creates shame

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I see they've nerfed this Bloodstone Fen event.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a trip report on druid vs tempest? I'm sorta swithering between either of those.

I have a ranger at the minute that I was going to take more support-healy and I like the on-the-go feeling I have with axe/warhorn, but I'm not really enamoured with the non-weapon skills. In the past I've played Ele though never very high (30s mostly) and it felt (this was a while ago, pre HoT) that it was not quite as on-the-go.

Thoughts? Presently looking at an aura-based tempest, possibly. Maybe.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

For what content? I prefer druid over tempest for open world stuff, but both are quite capable. For raiding a ranger can be a druid healer, condi dps, or a condi dps that also does splash heals. I believe the condi dps with splash heals is popular for fractals, while tempest is pretty much a glass cannon dps, though very good at it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

For what content? I prefer druid over tempest for open world stuff, but both are quite capable. For raiding a ranger can be a druid healer, condi dps, or a condi dps that also does splash heals. I believe the condi dps with splash heals is popular for fractals, while tempest is pretty much a glass cannon dps, though very good at it.

Variable content, honestly. I might jump into stuff with goons and also fuckaround with my SO.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

New expansion announcement tomorrow?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Inzombiac posted:

New expansion announcement tomorrow?

yeah, presumably we're getting the official name and...maybe a release date? they could definitely have an idea of a timeframe by now for all we know. at the very least i'm expecting them to have some kind of presentation displaying the various key things the new expansion is going to add.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's a real bummer that we know so much already.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Eltoasto posted:

Tempest also has desirable healing and condi builds. The condition setup is kind of limited (no cc, don't leave fire attunement!) but healing auramancer Tempest is useful for when you need consistent heal spamming from Soothing Mist and water attunement staff autos etc. By comparison Druid healing is burstier due to Celestial Avatar. I try to stick with Fresh Air builds when possible since it makes hopping through Earth and Water for utility a lot smoother.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Innerguard posted:

Variable content, honestly. I might jump into stuff with goons and also fuckaround with my SO.

Water/Air Auramancer is my go-to build now for all variable content and new zones, solo to party to large zerg. It's good.

To make Ele feel more on-the-go you can keep other weapons in your inventory and swap to them then swap back. e.g. equip an off-hand dagger, hit Air 4, and while you're flying re-equip your normal weapons. Or just equip Signet of Air, since you're leveling it doesn't really matter.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Tempest has a ton of diversity:

Dagger/Warhorn Condi
Dagger/Warhorn DPS
Staff DPS
Scepter FA DPS
Scepter FA might stacking variant
Staff healing

fake edit: for any build with an offhand, you can also typically swap the offhand to better fit encounters.

Eles are in a really good spot with Tempest. It's almost impossible to go wrong.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
BGDM is one of the two (the other being ArcDPS) main DPS meters.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I noticed that in Maguuma I am struggling a bit more than in other areas. I assume some of this is due to gear, however, maybe my builds are bad aswell? I'm not sure if raid/fractal builds are the way to go for soloing events and doing map completion. My mesmer is doing fine-ish, in that her illusions are tanking the mobs, even if her dps is a bit on the low side. My revenant is flat out struggling, and I think maybe it's my build, but revenant seems pretty bad for most stuff so I am kinda avoiding the class atm, based on what I have read. I also find that when I am leveling my warrior, the veteran and champion mobs are way harder to take down then when I was leveling my mesmer. I am ususally losing hp faster than the mobs are. I have been thinking that maybe I need to go for a sword and shield build when taking on tougher enemies? Maybe something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Berserker_-_GS/Mace_Burst

Bieeardo posted:

I used http://gw2crafts.net/ when I was grinding everything but scribing out. Don't know if it's still popular or not, but it tracks mat costs on the AH and makes suggestions from there.

Thank you, I got stuck leveling a warrior yesterday, but I will give this a shot tonight.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Acidian posted:

I noticed that in Maguuma I am struggling a bit more than in other areas. I assume some of this is due to gear, however, maybe my builds are bad aswell? I'm not sure if raid/fractal builds are the way to go for soloing events and doing map completion. My mesmer is doing fine-ish, in that her illusions are tanking the mobs, even if her dps is a bit on the low side. My revenant is flat out struggling, and I think maybe it's my build, but revenant seems pretty bad for most stuff so I am kinda avoiding the class atm, based on what I have read. I also find that when I am leveling my warrior, the veteran and champion mobs are way harder to take down then when I was leveling my mesmer. I am ususally losing hp faster than the mobs are. I have been thinking that maybe I need to go for a sword and shield build when taking on tougher enemies? Maybe something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Berserker_-_GS/Mace_Burst

I actually like playing WvWvW builds for soloing HoT maps. Fractal and raid builds tend to be more oriented for group play so you need to tweak them.

E: talking about the roaming builds mostly

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 1, 2017

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

dad on the rag posted:

I actually like playing WvWvW builds for soloing HoT maps. Fractal and raid builds tend to be more oriented for group play so you need to tweak them.

That is what I was thinking. Initially I thought a raid/fractal build would be best, so I can learn the spec, but having lots of group buffs and support skills is such a waste in a solo build. It will take me a long time of soloing to get raid and fractal ready.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Acidian posted:

That is what I was thinking. Initially I thought a raid/fractal build would be best, so I can learn the spec, but having lots of group buffs and support skills is such a waste in a solo build. It will take me a long time of soloing to get raid and fractal ready.

preeeetty much

what class do you use? i open world with my revenant because it's reliable high damage with huge spike potential and decent survival

the raid build is the same as the open world one too which is convenient. make sure you're using a hammer, it hits really hard

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It's a real bummer that we know so much already.

We don't 100% know how much of it is true, plus we'll get to see some trailers and get more details. I'm still really hyped for it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Path of Fire launching October 25th

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm sad today's announcement isn't at a con so we can't get a repeat of HoT's gangsta.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

it's really funny that the way people confirmed the name was to put permutations of P o F in place of heartofthorns in gw2 website url until something happened

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there any way, aside from 'check frequently' to know when server population will change value? I'm patiently now waiting to swap from EU-Gandara to US-Maguuma.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Two things will make me insta buy this new expansion, cantha or paragons.

Doubt I'll get either :nsa:

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Is there any way, aside from 'check frequently' to know when server population will change value? I'm patiently now waiting to swap from EU-Gandara to US-Maguuma.

Mag is pretty close to T3 in Wubwub so spots might open up soon as more people jump ship.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Keegers posted:

Two things will make me insta buy this new expansion, cantha or paragons.

Doubt I'll get either :nsa:

You won't ever get either of those so may as well give up now.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

You won't ever get either of those so may as well give up now.

to be fair you'll never get anyone to read the OP but you still attempt to write it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we've known for the longest time that it's focusing on elona and the crystal desert, and guardians have pretty much been stated to be a retooling of paragons along with other things, so lmao

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm buying the expansion pretty much no matter what it contains because for some dumb reason I have like 1500 hours in GW2

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Maybe some people just want to chuck spears

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Land spears! I want to chuck sharks.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm just hoping to see a nice little overview of the new elite specs and how the new maps look. I don't know, maybe a new class they've been hiding this whole time.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 1, 2017

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Schpyder posted:

OH! I get what they're saying, now.
I understand decision paralysis: I even get it myself sometimes. I just don't have that issue with bonus content for games--especially not this one--because there's no "wrong" decision. Everything you do will provide useful currencies, loot drops, exp, and fun times. Advice: Just pick something. There is no wrong choice. It's all optimal. You cannot go wrong.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/expansion

stream starts in like 5 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Huh, Arus was right, it really IS Penis of Farts.

• Locked thread