Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Low Desert Punk posted:

People really dedicate a lot of time towards defending their favorite trash tv dragon show

What will everyone do when the show ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mastershakeman posted:

season 5: logistics and food matter and the most competent general on earth loses because of this

season 7: actually, they don't.

I'm not saying logistics don't matter. I'm saying, yes, it probably took like a few weeks to march on Highgarden and Casterly Rock simultaneously, but gently caress you if you want us to wait three episodes to show the result, let's just show the result now and if you've ever read a story before you'll probably realize that you can just assume that they had no major issues with the goddamn baggage train or some poo poo and nothing significant happened in the meantime

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The intro, dragonstone, and cersei maps don't have the necessary information.

Characters don't talk plainly about distances and time traveled.

It is generally the people who ARE confused who are the slackjawed buffoons.

Yes they do

do you even watch the show

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm not saying logistics don't matter. I'm saying, yes, it probably took like a few weeks to march on Highgarden and Casterly Rock simultaneously, but gently caress you if you want us to wait three episodes to show the result, let's just show the result now and if you've ever read a story before you'll probably realize that you can just assume that they had no major issues with the goddamn baggage train or some poo poo and nothing significant happened in the meantime

the issue is the freaking dothraki and their horse on an island of rock

stannis spent episodes talking about urgency of movement and Dany, with a giant unfed army, is the opposite

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can we go back to that post arguing about how it is unrealistic that Arya hasn't been raped in the woods yet

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

I agree with everyone who wants the characters to mention how much time has elapsed in spirit, but at this point the show does so much jumping around that it would just be another stupid thing on top of a bunch of other stupid things. Honestly I rather have what it is now, racing towards the finish, than a filler season of the best dialog they can come up with without GRRM.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I remember when Monica ran down to Central Perk to tell Rachel something and did it before Chandler had explained a thing to Ross, man I was so mad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

Yes they do

do you even watch the show

Haven't missed an episode. Never once saw the one where they make a compass do the Pointy Leg Man across a map between all the places of interest.

Certain locations (Wall to KL, Wall to Winterfell, KL to Horn Hill) have had their locations/travel times explained, and there has never been an example of someone making that trip too quickly.

Certain locations (KL to Casterly Rock, Mereen to Dragonstone) have not had their locations/travel times explained, and so it's impossible for there to have been an example of someone making that trip too quickly.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Haven't missed an episode. Never once saw the one where they make a compass do the Pointy Leg Man across a map between all the places of interest.

Certain locations (Wall to KL, Wall to Winterfell, KL to Horn Hill) have had their locations/travel times explained, and there has never been an example of someone making that trip too quickly.

Certain locations (KL to Casterly Rock, Mereen to Dragonstone) have not had their locations/travel times explained, and so it's impossible for there to have been an example of someone making that trip too quickly.

are you literally incapable of using existing information and applying it to different, yet alike, situations

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Good lord, this thread should be studied by mental health professionals

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

are you literally incapable of using existing information and applying it to different, yet alike, situations

"Distance from KL to Casterly Rock" and "Distance from The Wall to Winterfell" are alike situations.

Knowing the distance from The Wall to Winterfell does not help you know the distance from KL to Casterly Rock.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

IIRC there's actually a scene in like s2 where maester lewin points out places on a map to bran and asks the house names, including casterly rock.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Maybe that old theory that Euron and Dario are the same person is actually true and Euron does have a magic ship that goes really really fast.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jean Eric Burn posted:

IIRC there's actually a scene in like s2 where maester lewin points out places on a map to bran and asks the house names, including casterly rock.

Yeah I was worried that scene might have given some indication that Casterly Rock is far away from KL, but I just watched it and all they do is show a super zoomed in view of Lannisport.

One thing to say in favor of the Things Used To Be Much Better camp is that Maester Luwin's actor was incredible.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Distance from KL to Casterly Rock" and "Distance from The Wall to Winterfell" are alike situations.

Knowing the distance from The Wall to Winterfell does not help you know the distance from KL to Casterly Rock.

Yes it does, because we have maps

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

Yes it does, because we have maps

We do. not. have. a. map. showing the distance from KL to Casterly Rock, holy poo poo, are you even serious lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I was worried that scene might have given some indication that Casterly Rock is far away from KL, but I just watched it and all they do is show a super zoomed in view of Lannisport.

"I was worried that there was some actual in-show evidence that matched other evidence from outside the show (like literally every single other piece of in-show evidence) but luckily for my shitposting this was not the case"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
All that teleportation is dumb as gently caress but still not as dumb as Dany's plan to conquer Westeros

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Guy A. Person posted:

"I was worried that there was some actual in-show evidence that matched other evidence from outside the show (like literally every single other piece of in-show evidence) but luckily for my shitposting this was not the case"

There is no such thing as Outside the Show

If I write "Cersei choked on a grape" on this napkin, it won't be a plothole when Cersei does not in fact choke on a grape in HBO's Game of Thrones

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We do. not. have. a. map. showing the distance from KL to Casterly Rock, holy poo poo, are you even serious lol

are you seriously so loving stupid that you need a character to look into the camera and tell you exactly how far away specifically Casterly Rock is from King's Landing instead of using information you know already from the show and applying it to the maps we are shown in the show?

ok turn it this other way- King's Landing and Casterly Rock are on opposite sides of a continent

now please explain to me how Westeros is like 1 mile wide

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
This thread is now worse than all the bad things in Game of Thrones: The TV Series combined.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes, having a known distance reference does not allow you to extrapolate on a map.

Your stance is based on the assumption that there has never been a to-scale map of Westeros ever displayed on screen. Which would mean every map ever shown in the show is utterly useless as a map.

What sounds more likely? That these maps are actually functional tools for navigation or that people waste time and money for pretty pictures of the country that have no practical use whatsoever?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

There's the map here that is labeled pretty well https://youtu.be/w8Y8pihDzH4?t=278

You can read the words of king's landing and lannisport

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

are you seriously so loving stupid that you need a character to look into the camera and tell you exactly how far away specifically Casterly Rock is from King's Landing instead of using information you know already from the show and applying it to the maps we are shown in the show?

ok turn it this other way- King's Landing and Casterly Rock are on opposite sides of a continent

Casterly Rock has not been shown on a map.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
According to these measurements of distances between places in GoT by turbospergs, it's 590 miles from Casterly Rock to KL. What's funnier though is that it's an even greater distance from KL to Highgarden: about 760 miles. So if anybody is guilty of teleport magic, it's Jamie.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jean Eric Burn posted:

There's the map here that is labeled pretty well https://youtu.be/w8Y8pihDzH4?t=278

You can read the words of king's landing and lannisport

You literally cannot read Casterly Rock on this map.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Explain to me whether outside of this thread anyone gives a gently caress...

Answer: they don't.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Casterly Rock has not been shown on a map.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

omg hahahahahahaha

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So why do y'all think Jon is being so tight-lipped about his resurrection? It's kinda like he just wants everyone to think he's your standard issue Night's Watch deserter.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

do you have the quality up? i can?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

So why do y'all think Jon is being so tight-lipped about his resurrection? It's kinda like he just wants everyone to think he's your standard issue Night's Watch deserter.

If I told you that I was shot dead in the street but a lady came and brought me back from the dead several days later would you believe me

no?

would you think I was crazy?

maybe

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PostNouveau posted:

Probably because he's a bit worried about telling people he's a zombie while trying to rally them to help him fight an army of zombies?

Also because it would make him sound even more fucknuts insane.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

This is not intended to be visible to the viewer and as such is not a part of the tale being told to the viewer.

There's a part in Braveheart where the camera boom is in the frame. Does this mean that camera booms existed in the world of Braveheart?

For this to be a valid indicator of distance, it would be legible and the focus of the scene (which it is neither).

And even if it were, that would be [x] Distance [ ] Time only 1 of 2 items checked off to prove that Teleportation happened...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Here's a higher quality version of this video where Casterly Rock is legible on the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KT9ZbnYd-8&t=240s

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is not intended to be visible to the viewer and as such is not a part of the tale being told to the viewer.

There's a part in Braveheart where the camera boom is in the frame. Does this mean that camera booms existed in the world of Braveheart?

For this to be a valid indicator of distance, it would be legible and the focus of the scene (which it is neither).

And even if it were, that would be [x] Distance [ ] Time only 1 of 2 items checked off to prove that Teleportation happened...

jesus loving christ

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Low Desert Punk posted:

jesus loving christ

*bows*

**drops microphone**

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

yeah you overstepped your bit now its just obvious

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

yeah you overstepped your bit now its just obvious

You keep making these "throwing in the towel"-angry posts.

Is it really me that is triggered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know this is (to be fair really good) trolling at this point but man I wish it wasn't

Anyway, based on the 1% chance that this isn't trolling or that someone believes this nonsense:

this map matches the map Bran is looking at in the above scene, it matches the map in the opening credits with reference to every single iteration and location used, it matches every other map we've seen when you compare which parts are visible on screen at any given time, it matches official artwork easily accessible elsewhere, it matches the book map (OH NO THAT DOESN't EXIST!)

• Locked thread