Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zodack posted:

Roaring Skies is strongly suspected of rotating out of the standard format very soon, though. It is a great set, but if you want to play standard keep that in mind.

If roaring skies somehow doesn't leave standard. I think people would riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Elblanco posted:

If roaring skies somehow doesn't leave standard. I think people would riot.
While Shaymin EX (Roaring Skies) has served its purpose in the past, it has also mostly been dethroned by Tapu Lele GX's versatility, especially in grabbing one-off Supporters in a way similar to how the Battle Compressor engine of the XY-era functioned. Shaymin EX's drawing capabilities (without using up the Supporter per turn) are still quite strong, but its Achilles' heel remains its 110 HP as a Pokemon EX, whereas Tapu Lele GX has a very serviceable attack and HP to boot.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Moriatti posted:

IIRC, Roaring Skies is a good set.
Also, the Keldeo-Rayquaza Battle Arena decks get you a lot of good cards and are good on their own.

Thanks for the tip on Keldeo-Rayquaza. Think I might pick up the physical decks for that since it's pretty inexpensive. Any other theme decks/battle decks/sets that I should look at for staples? We have all the theme decks from Evolutions to Guardians right now.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Rhaegar posted:

Thanks for the tip on Keldeo-Rayquaza. Think I might pick up the physical decks for that since it's pretty inexpensive. Any other theme decks/battle decks/sets that I should look at for staples? We have all the theme decks from Evolutions to Guardians right now.

Those are by far the best to my knowledge.
You also should probably pick up 2 physical copies because that will get you play copies of almost everything you need.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, conventional wisdom is to buy two copies of whatever theme deck you want to use, and then smash them together into one far-more-consistent deck.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks everyone for the advice. Not sure i'm quite ready to commit to 2x copies of the physical theme decks but maybe online. ;)

My son is only 4-1/2 so it's pretty casual. Mostly playing theme decks with some light deck building to swap out cards that are obviously not good with cards we're opening from packs.

I've been playing Magic, Netrunner and other online TCGs for years and I had always dismissed Pokémon as a dumb kids game but I was totally wrong. I'm enjoying it irregardless of the fact that i'm having fun playing it with my son. It has surprised me. Especially the fact that you get the online code with each deck and pack you buy.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, Pokemon can get stale at high levels depending on the meta, but as casual TCG it's really fun and it's core mechanics are quite enjoyable.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Unrelated to online but I've bought two GUR boxes in my attempt to return to the game.

I got 6 picks in the first and a lucky 8 in the second. Out of those 8, 6 were identical to the first box, including a rainbow rare Toxapex and a Secret Rare Max Potion.

I feel like the butt of a practical joke.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Zodack posted:

Unrelated to online but I've bought two GUR boxes in my attempt to return to the game.

I got 6 picks in the first and a lucky 8 in the second. Out of those 8, 6 were identical to the first box, including a rainbow rare Toxapex and a Secret Rare Max Potion.

I feel like the butt of a practical joke.
Make use of Wish Baton, Lunala GX, and the secret and rainbow rares.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone I play Magic with bought a box and a half of Burning Shadows and opened like six or seven Pokémon-GX cards. Now several of us want to mash Pokémon cards together. If we were to get sanctioned events started up, what's the format that's the most common to play in: Standard or Expanded?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Star Man posted:

Someone I play Magic with bought a box and a half of Burning Shadows and opened like six or seven Pokémon-GX cards. Now several of us want to mash Pokémon cards together. If we were to get sanctioned events started up, what's the format that's the most common to play in: Standard or Expanded?
Standard tends to be the more common format, but you can always check the Play! Pokemon events in your area on Pokemon.com to see what's up. Leagues vary; mine tends to be Standard-focused, but it's fine to play Expanded or Unlimited (as long as you let your opponent know, so that if they have a matching format deck, that they can switch to it). Another I attend does a hard restriction of Expanded, with no Unlimited allowed (and the variation that if you play Standard, let them know, and they might want to switch to their Standard deck).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lorak posted:

Standard tends to be the more common format, but you can always check the Play! Pokemon events in your area on Pokemon.com to see what's up. Leagues vary; mine tends to be Standard-focused, but it's fine to play Expanded or Unlimited (as long as you let your opponent know, so that if they have a matching format deck, that they can switch to it). Another I attend does a hard restriction of Expanded, with no Unlimited allowed (and the variation that if you play Standard, let them know, and they might want to switch to their Standard deck).

We all got rid of our Pokémon cards a long, long time ago, so it's not like we're going to be ripping out our Haymaker decks like it's 1999 again.

I think that we're going to be limited to mostly what's available in-store to buy from sealed product, though I would like to get singles as soon as I can. So Standard it is.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Star Man posted:

We all got rid of our Pokémon cards a long, long time ago, so it's not like we're going to be ripping out our Haymaker decks like it's 1999 again.

I think that we're going to be limited to mostly what's available in-store to buy from sealed product, though I would like to get singles as soon as I can. So Standard it is.
For an accessible, though not perfect, way to make a deck from sealed product, take two copies of a theme deck, and put the best cards from one into another. There's a thread on another site that offers recommendations for you on this front, though the update schedule can be erratic.

The other recommendation would be to just go the singles route. Find the most commonly-used singles in decks, grab three or four for most of 'em, and swap them from deck to deck as need be. Just be aware the new Standard format, in less than a month, will exclude cards from before Ancient Origins, unless they are reprints of cards that are in sets from after that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lorak posted:

For an accessible, though not perfect, way to make a deck from sealed product, take two copies of a theme deck, and put the best cards from one into another. There's a thread on another site that offers recommendations for you on this front, though the update schedule can be erratic.

The other recommendation would be to just go the singles route. Find the most commonly-used singles in decks, grab three or four for most of 'em, and swap them from deck to deck as need be. Just be aware the new Standard format, in less than a month, will exclude cards from before Ancient Origins, unless they are reprints of cards that are in sets from after that.

Yeah, it looks like it's XY Breakthrough and forward.

If this goes beyond just an amusing curiosity, I'd probably do it the same way I do with Magic: get a playset of a card that I want, get a box of the same kind of sleeve that I like, and just sleeve up the things I play with in those. No sleeve changing, just swap from one stack of cards to another.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Cross post from the Pokemon mefo thread

I am a competitive MTG player who has recently introduced my son to Pokemon as a gateway drug, however I have found the game great fun! 

I would like to build myself a competitive Pokemon deck and have been doing some research but from what I have researched I am a still a little confused about the rotations. I would like to buy into a competitive deck and find some competitive play in the UK over the next 6 months. 

Any advice as to; 
Where to find competitive deck lists/where to buy lists and what to avoid with incoming rotations. (e.g. i like the look of Greninja BREAK but its loosing Graninja?) 
Where to find competitive event info (how does it work, MTG has FNM/PPTQs and GPs where do i go for competitive events?) 

Ibsee this thread is the TCG online but was sent here with my question. I also would like to know how to do comparative play online too. Getting cards and finding tournaments.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

DoctorOozy posted:

Cross post from the Pokemon mefo thread

I am a competitive MTG player who has recently introduced my son to Pokemon as a gateway drug, however I have found the game great fun! 

I would like to build myself a competitive Pokemon deck and have been doing some research but from what I have researched I am a still a little confused about the rotations. I would like to buy into a competitive deck and find some competitive play in the UK over the next 6 months. 

Any advice as to; 
Where to find competitive deck lists/where to buy lists and what to avoid with incoming rotations. (e.g. i like the look of Greninja BREAK but its loosing Graninja?) 
Where to find competitive event info (how does it work, MTG has FNM/PPTQs and GPs where do i go for competitive events?) 

Ibsee this thread is the TCG online but was sent here with my question. I also would like to know how to do comparative play online too. Getting cards and finding tournaments.
As a source of non-paid deck lists, results, and content, the Charizard Lounge is where I refer players to when going for competitive deck lists.

As for the rotation, the Standard format will be cards from Breakthrough and onwards, come September. Standard Rotations are once a year, usually starting in September, announced somewhere in July - August, and are usually 3-5 sets. They tend to start with the next "major" block to introduce a mechanic or set name, so next year's rotation, while not guaranteed to be so, will probably be Sun and Moon-on. (Previous rotations were: Primal Clash-on, a "base set" that introduced Ancient Traits, XY-on, the start of the XY block. The three rotations before that were a group of five and two groups of three that made up the Black and White era: Boundaries Crossed-on, Next Destinies-on, which introduced Pokemon EX, and Black and White-on, the start of the Black and White block.)

Finally, for events, look to the official site: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Lorak posted:

As a source of non-paid deck lists, results, and content, the Charizard Lounge is where I refer players to when going for competitive deck lists.

As for the rotation, the Standard format will be cards from Breakthrough and onwards, come September. Standard Rotations are once a year, usually starting in September, announced somewhere in July - August, and are usually 3-5 sets. They tend to start with the next "major" block to introduce a mechanic or set name, so next year's rotation, while not guaranteed to be so, will probably be Sun and Moon-on. (Previous rotations were: Primal Clash-on, a "base set" that introduced Ancient Traits, XY-on, the start of the XY block. The three rotations before that were a group of five and two groups of three that made up the Black and White era: Boundaries Crossed-on, Next Destinies-on, which introduced Pokemon EX, and Black and White-on, the start of the Black and White block.)

Finally, for events, look to the official site: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/

Many thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

DoctorOozy posted:

Many thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Quite welcome. Last, since I didn't mention it in the original response, Greninja, Greninja BREAK, the good Frogadier, and the Bubble Froakie from the BREAKPoint set are by extension still in the new Standard format.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Greninja is a stupidly fun deck. Not top-tier any more because of meta shifts, but still a goddamn blast to play.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
My son got the Greninja theme deck as a gift. Would be cool to tweak it so it's a bit more competitive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Step 1 is probably to buy another copy of the theme deck, or just some other way to get a bunch of good supporters. The starter decks always have way too many Pokemon and too few trainers. Good news is that Wave Slasher has the good Froakie, the good Frogadier and a decent spread of trainers, so you don't have to change that much.

Next, you want to get your hands on, at least, a couple copies of the XY Greninja. They're cheaper now that Greninja Break makes them kinda obsolete ($1 each or so), but that's good for a budget deck. If you feel like dropping some dosh, getting 2-3 Greninja Break makes the Greninja you've got more appealing again. You want at least 1 Greninja BREAK, it will do a lot of work, but at almost $10 a pop, it feels unreasonable to ask you to get more than 1. (Plus, there's something inherently fun about playing Your Best Card.)

The biggest hotness to play with the deck is Steam Siege Talonflame, who is super sexy in the opening hand, but a complete dead draw otherwise, and it can be very counterintuitive for a younger player. On a more budget run, I have a lot of praise to be said for Flashfire "Powerful Friends" Miltank. It's been printed in like a billion different theme decks, and has a lot of bang for your buck once you get a Greninja on the field. I also like the possibility of a couple Lapras GX. They're not the BEST card in the world, but starting with one as your active can buy you a lot of time to build your field up. (I may get some grief for these suggestions, IDK.)

4 Dive Balls and 4 VS Seekers are essentially mandatory. They're that good. I'd also try to get 4 Splash Energies, 4x Professor Sycamore, 2 Fisherman, and 2 Rough Seas. They're not as crucial, but you will really enjoy their presence.

So, that said, here is my complete amateur attempt at a good Greninja budget deck, using mostly just two copies of Wave Slasher and a few other purchases. Cards marked with a (*) will have to be bought separately.

Pokemon (17)
1x Greninja BREAK (*) (If you can get 2 or 3, replace a Water Energy with one)
2x Greninja (The one you have, Breakpoint 40. This is the one you play BREAK on, so if you get more BREAK, you can just run 4 of this guy.)
2x Greninja (*) (Water Shuriken, XY 41)
4x Frogadier (The one you have, Breakpoint 39)
4x Froakie (The one you have, Breakpoint 38)
2x Lapras GX
2x Miltank (Flashfire 83, Powerful Friends)

Supporters (12)
2x Fisherman
2x Misty's Determination
2x Shauna
4x (*) Professor Sycamore
2x Wally (Useful note: Greninja BREAK counts for this!)

Items (16)
4x (*) Dive Ball
2x Fighting Fury Belt
2x Great Ball
4x Professor's Letter
4x (*) VS Seeker

Stadiums (2)
2x (*) Rough Seas

Energy (13)
9x Water Energy
4x Splash Energy

I tried to go for a combination of budget and easy to pilot. I don't know how old your son is, but I figured it'd be counter-productive to give him some absurd high-end deck. This should make a nice compromise, without being either too difficult to play, or a $100 pile of cardboard.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 19, 2017

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Step 1 is probably to buy another copy of the theme deck, or just some other way to get a bunch of good supporters. The starter decks always have way too many Pokemon and too few trainers. Good news is that Wave Slasher has the good Froakie, the good Frogadier and a decent spread of trainers, so you don't have to change that much.

Next, you want to get your hands on, at least, a couple copies of the XY Greninja. They're cheaper now that Greninja Break makes them kinda obsolete ($1 each or so), but that's good for a budget deck. If you feel like dropping some dosh, getting 2-3 Greninja Break makes the Greninja you've got more appealing again. You want at least 1 Greninja BREAK, it will do a lot of work, but at almost $10 a pop, it feels unreasonable to ask you to get more than 1. (Plus, there's something inherently fun about playing Your Best Card.)

The biggest hotness to play with the deck is Steam Siege Talonflame, who is super sexy in the opening hand, but a complete dead draw otherwise, and it can be very counterintuitive for a younger player. On a more budget run, I have a lot of praise to be said for Flashfire "Powerful Friends" Miltank. It's been printed in like a billion different theme decks, and has a lot of bang for your buck once you get a Greninja on the field. I also like the possibility of a couple Lapras GX. They're not the BEST card in the world, but starting with one as your active can buy you a lot of time to build your field up. (I may get some grief for these suggestions, IDK.)

4 Dive Balls and 4 VS Seekers are essentially mandatory. They're that good. I'd also try to get 4 Splash Energies, 4x Professor Sycamore, 2 Fisherman, and 2 Rough Seas. They're not as crucial, but you will really enjoy their presence.

So, that said, here is my complete amateur attempt at a good Greninja budget deck, using mostly just two copies of Wave Slasher and a few other purchases. Cards marked with a (*) will have to be bought separately.

Pokemon (17)
1x Greninja BREAK (*) (If you can get 2 or 3, replace a Water Energy with one)
2x Greninja (The one you have, Breakpoint 40. This is the one you play BREAK on, so if you get more BREAK, you can just run 4 of this guy.)
2x Greninja (*) (Water Shuriken, XY 41)
4x Frogadier (The one you have, Breakpoint 39)
4x Froakie (The one you have, Breakpoint 38)
2x Lapras GX
2x Miltank (Flashfire 83, Powerful Friends)

Supporters (12)
2x Fisherman
2x Misty's Determination
2x Shauna
4x (*) Professor Sycamore
2x Wally (Useful note: Greninja BREAK counts for this!)

Items (16)
4x (*) Dive Ball
2x Fighting Fury Belt
2x Great Ball
4x Professor's Letter
4x (*) VS Seeker

Stadiums (2)
2x (*) Rough Seas

Energy (13)
9x Water Energy
4x Splash Energy

I tried to go for a combination of budget and easy to pilot. I don't know how old your son is, but I figured it'd be counter-productive to give him some absurd high-end deck. This should make a nice compromise, without being either too difficult to play, or a $100 pile of cardboard.
Just be aware that you cannot use this in a Standard tournament, because of some of the cards in it, such as Miltank (and soon to be VS Seeker.)

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Awesome! Thanks. Can you redeem the TCGO code to get two copies of the same theme deck by the way?

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
A question for PTCGO vets – What do you do with all your tradable commons/uncommons? I’ve got an ocean of low value cards, and while I’ve had it recommended to me that you can post trades for boosters in return for huge bundles of cards, I’ve had no luck with that approach thus far.
Thanks in advance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I forgot Miltank and Seeker left! That's my bad. I'm gonna miss Seeker. What would y'all suggest as replacements?

Rhaegar posted:

Awesome! Thanks. Can you redeem the TCGO code to get two copies of the same theme deck by the way?
As in with a second code for a second deck? Yeah.

Edit Trainers' Mail makes a decent replacement for VS Seeker. Regular Breakpoint Lapras might work for replacing Miltank? Not sure.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 19, 2017

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit Trainers' Mail makes a decent replacement for VS Seeker. Regular Breakpoint Lapras might work for replacing Miltank? Not sure.

Isn't trainer's mail leaving too?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elblanco posted:

Isn't trainer's mail leaving too?
Is it? loving Christ, where are all the good items going. I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THIS ROTATION.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Caecitas posted:

A question for PTCGO vets – What do you do with all your tradable commons/uncommons? I’ve got an ocean of low value cards, and while I’ve had it recommended to me that you can post trades for boosters in return for huge bundles of cards, I’ve had no luck with that approach thus far.
Thanks in advance.

Put trades up for uncommon chests, trade the chests for other cheap cards.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I just recently got into the game via TCGO and I'm absolutely hooked. Been having a hell of a blast running a loving obnoxious Mew-EX deck.

I wanted to ask though, when do new sets of cards typically get introduced? I was kind of expecting it to happen with the recent Standard rotation since that seemed like a logical point to me but nope.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I just recently got into the game via TCGO and I'm absolutely hooked. Been having a hell of a blast running a loving obnoxious Mew-EX deck.

I wanted to ask though, when do new sets of cards typically get introduced? I was kind of expecting it to happen with the recent Standard rotation since that seemed like a logical point to me but nope.
You got the "new" set before the rotation, for Worlds. Sets come out about every three months.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Lorak posted:

You got the "new" set before the rotation, for Worlds. Sets come out about every three months.

Ahh I see. New cards come in a lot more frequently than I realised then. I thought it was like an annual thing.

Do you guys have any advice on making an effective mill deck? I threw this deck together earlier since I wanted to use the Noble Victories Conkeldurr but it's more of a "Slap them around and the milling is incidental" thing. Is milling even viable?

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Riolu BUS 70
* 1 Lucario BUS 71
* 2 Rockruff GRI 73
* 1 Lycanroc-GX GRI 74
* 1 Lycanroc-GX PR-SM SM14
* 2 Solrock BUS 69
* 1 Sudowoodo BKP 67
* 2 Timburr BLW 59
* 2 Gurdurr NVI 63
* 2 Conkeldurr NVI 64

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Evosoda GEN 62
* 3 Wally ROS 94
* 4 Potion SUM 127
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Professor's Letter BKT 146
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
* 2 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 158
* 1 Healing Scarf ROS 84
* 4 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 N FCO 105
* 2 Big Malasada SUM 114
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 15

* 15 Fighting Energy Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Milling is not very viable, though some other big mill cards right now are Burning Shadows Rhyperior, there's a Houndoom EX that can mill (which means the fighting type Marshadoe GX can copy that attack and mill), and also the big boy Charizard GX for his GX attack. None are really ideal, but you can definitely build a fun disruption + mill deck around those.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Zodack posted:

Milling is not very viable, though some other big mill cards right now are Burning Shadows Rhyperior, there's a Houndoom EX that can mill (which means the fighting type Marshadoe GX can copy that attack and mill), and also the big boy Charizard GX for his GX attack. None are really ideal, but you can definitely build a fun disruption + mill deck around those.

Burning Shadows Rhyperior is goddamn useless it's almost hilarious. 4 Energy, 4 Retreat Stage 2 card that can't hit Weakness and can only attack every other turn? Literally more useful as discard fodder for Ultra Ball so you can get something better on your bench.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hence, mill not being very good right now. The days of Durant are long gone.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Hence, mill not being very good right now. The days of Durant are long gone.

Hooray for Extended!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Hooray for Extended!
Durant was right when I got back in for the first time and it was budget and it was beautiful.

Edit Really simple and clean build, too.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Burning Shadows Rhyperior is goddamn useless it's almost hilarious. 4 Energy, 4 Retreat Stage 2 card that can't hit Weakness and can only attack every other turn? Literally more useful as discard fodder for Ultra Ball so you can get something better on your bench.

Rhyperior isn''t used for its attack. It tends to be a build where you run it thick (4/4/4, 3/3/3, or thereabout) and subsequently use multiple devolution cards to re-use the coming-into-play Ability. For a still-terribly inconsistent example, though trying to see what they can do, see this Expanded deck video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVReYnBRlrM

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Lorak posted:

Rhyperior isn''t used for its attack. It tends to be a build where you run it thick (4/4/4, 3/3/3, or thereabout) and subsequently use multiple devolution cards to re-use the coming-into-play Ability. For a still-terribly inconsistent example, though trying to see what they can do, see this Expanded deck video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVReYnBRlrM

Oooh. Neat! I had no idea that Porygon-Z card was even a thing.

EDIT: Holy gently caress that deck is obnoxious. It's amazing.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 28, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
God I wish there was an MTGGoldfish or Channel Fireball equivalent for Pokémon. poo poo, even an MTGSalvation equivalent would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

We used to have JWittz and Top Cut...

• Locked thread