Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Well, drowning your output in effects certainly helps cover up the fact that your guitar is made from cardboard.

Anywho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i7FzxFfsEU

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Well, drowning your output in effects certainly helps cover up the fact that your guitar is made from cardboard.

Anywho:

what the gently caress

why

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean I thought for a second that that was a joke but I googled them and they actually exist. On the one hand they look retarded, but on the other hand they sound like a bag of assholes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aY_YuV3VMQ

This was in the linked videos from the stupid-neck guitar. I mostly hate the rope lighting.

Also I initially thought that the idea of the stupid-neck guitar was that you'd play the guitar chords with your fingers and the bass note with your thumb. I am disappointed that this is not the case.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Trig Discipline posted:

what the gently caress

why

Pretty sure this is a perfect example of an answer to a question that nobody asked.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

While I like the idea of being able to plug a guitar into a boombox as a makeshift guitar amp, I wish they would have chosen someone who could actually play the goddamn guitar to demonstate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTSz2ZRzOIg

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

KozmoNaut posted:

While I like the idea of being able to plug a guitar into a boombox as a makeshift guitar amp, I wish they would have chosen someone who could actually play the goddamn guitar to demonstate it.

This just makes me feel bad. Mainly when I scrolled down to see the comments were disabled. That boy got roasted didn't he?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Anywho:

Local man hangs himself with a bass string after trying to set the intonation on dual necked guitar/bass. More at 11.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

OutOfPrint posted:

Local man hangs himself with a bass string after trying to set the intonation on dual necked guitar/bass. More at 11.

The coroner was heard to remark "oh what the gently caress is this"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KozmoNaut posted:

I like the part where the guy goes waaay outside his wheelhouse with his playing, then films it and basically decides he's struck gold on the first take and that it is definitely good enough footage to use for advertising a product.

Wait what if that was the best playing out of like an hour's worth of takes.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I wonder what kind of factory that is in that video, the one making the god awful noise. No not the guitar, the other one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

welp, this is what I get for seeing if there's any good deals on craigslist - no deals, just a whole pile of stupid music poo poo.

(lol at that guy's master plan)

(totally unironic use of milspec, loving wow)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 29, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay but that longhorn piano is loving awesome.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

KozmoNaut posted:

Dirt cheap battery-powered actual guitar amps are a well-established thing and lots of them have aux inputs if you want to plug MP3 players or whatever into them, so I'm kind of drawing a blank on what the point of this product is.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I want a hardinger mandolin

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo is he trying to play this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3T8FmyeE8

I think so :lol:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anime Reference posted:

Dirt cheap battery-powered actual guitar amps are a well-established thing and lots of them have aux inputs if you want to plug MP3 players or whatever into them, so I'm kind of drawing a blank on what the point of this product is.

I think the point is that you can play over a music track and/or record the result to tape.

The current (iPhone dock) versions still have the guitar/mic input.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
b-b-b-bluesdad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

If you were going to build a solidbody guitar with one pickup why the hell would it be the neck pickup? It's not like anybody's going to be playing bebop on an SG.

(That's a rhetorical question, I know the answer is ":lol: if you think the guy who buys that will ever actually play it")

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
hhhhhehehe

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

already photoshopped out? the thing that kills me is that this must have gone through more than one set of eyes between picking the guitar out, photographing it, manipulating the photograph and going through to the website and yet nobody cared enough until it was spread all around the internet as 'lolgibson'

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Southern Heel posted:

already photoshopped out? the thing that kills me is that this must have gone through more than one set of eyes between picking the guitar out, photographing it, manipulating the photograph and going through to the website and yet nobody cared enough until it was spread all around the internet as 'lolgibson'

Sounds about par for the course for Gibson's QC

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

For anyone who doesn't know already Gibson were voted worst company in America to work for a few years ago

quote:

I just got a glimpse [of] what felt like the world’s most baffling hiring process. ‘The psychometric test takes approximately three hours to complete. If you have any questions in this process or problems with the testing, please let me know,’ said the email when it plopped into my inbox yesterday. I promptly responded: ‘I don’t really have three hours spare to take tests before tomorrow. Also, please can I have a job description because you haven’t actually sent me anything about the role, and I’d really rather know exactly what you expect before I succumb to being tested for THREE WHOLE HOURS.’ Or something to that effect. It wasn’t quite as stroppy. But seriously, I had other admin to attend to, like answering my Tinder messages.

Anyway, what happened was, HR invited me to meet with three different people in the company in one day (all of whom would explain more), and in the time between these meetings she suggested I take these tests at their headquarters. I hadn’t really planned to spend the majority of a day in a corporate cellblock ...

I’ll admit, I forgot about the test when the CEO stepped into the gigantic conference room, if only because he was even more baffling. It was all I could do to sustain eye contact. The silver-haired, seventy-ish-year-old man looked as though he was having some sort of epileptic fit in front of me as he blathered on and on and on about his history in and before he started with the company. His eyes were rolling around the room, landing everywhere but on me. I wasn’t entirely sure he was sober.

‘So, do you have a social media strategy already?’ I asked him.

‘Oh yes,’ he said, sitting back and smiling knowingly.

‘I’d like to know what it is.’

‘I bet you would,’ he smirked.

‘Well, it would help,’ I replied, trying to meet his eyes, and failing.

‘I’m sure it would,’ he answered.

‘Well... what do you want to be, as a brand, that you think you’re not already?’

‘Even more awesome. We’re already awesome. We just want to be more awesome.’

‘Right.’

As he spoke, the words I read on Glassdoor.com rushed back to me: ‘Run, don’t walk away from even considering working here. The CEO is HORRIBLE - mean, nasty, uber-controlling. If anyone in the company dares to have a different idea than his, you can pretty much guarantee that they will be fired - on the spot.’

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

they should up the price, it's been reliced

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

massive spider posted:

For anyone who doesn't know already Gibson were voted worst company in America to work for a few years ago

Wow, that CEO guy sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat.

Gibson Guitar CEO Gets ENRAGED If Someone Asks For a Day Off

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So being slightly less stupid-music-poo poo, what's the alternative for a 339/335 style guitar that's NOT a Gibson?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

So being slightly less stupid-music-poo poo, what's the alternative for a 339/335 style guitar that's NOT a Gibson?

I would say an Ibanez of some sort. Their semi hollow guitars are really good at most price points. There's also Hagstrom but I've heard they're a little hit or miss.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

The Fender Starcaster? It has the dumb headstock, but otherwise, a solid guitar from the looks of it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

A lot of companies make 335 knocks offs ranging from cheap to as much or more than Gibson.

Ibanez, Schecter, Hagstrom and Epiphone all make cheaper ones. Epiphone guitars are pretty nice imo. The Schecter 335 I played was really nice too.

D'Angelico, and Guild make more expensive ones. I had a Guild Starfire IV for years. Very nice

Heritage guitars make literal Gibson clones out of an old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, MI. But they are just as expensive as a real gibson.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 31, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Southern Heel posted:

The Heritage

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q9_GSuYBpc

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I've been around a lot of brands and ended up with a Gibson 335 :shrug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

The Fender Starcaster? It has the dumb headstock, but otherwise, a solid guitar from the looks of it.

I love these and their dumb banana shoe dick headstock.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love these and their dumb banana shoe dick headstock.

I do too, I owned one and it rocked. Fenders are prob my favourite feeling guitars to play and offsets give me a boner. But it was no 335, not really in the same league if you are really really after something that nice. It felt more comparable to something like a good reverend (again, a good thing)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Southern Heel posted:

I'd try and hunt up an old 80s Greco or similar Japanese clone. My mate has a Greco LP and it absolutely owns. Nigel Tufnel levels of sustain.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

This loving thing at my local Guitar Center.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Does it at least have two separate necks and not one enormous horrible mononeck?
My local Guitar Center's boring, nothing dumber than a Chinese bootleg BC Rich.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

They are separate, but pretty close together. If you're a showy player, (and if you own that loving thing, you're a showy player) I bet you'd be smacking the back of the wrong neck all day long.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
More pertinent question: Is the strap mounted in such a way that you can flip the guitar to instantly change necks? I don't know how that would work engineeringwise but I think we can all agree it would be Extremely Important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Regrettably, I did not get a chance to ask. Worse still, this was one of the few times I was in a Guitar Center without being hounded by salespeople, as I was looking forward to asking them if they had any doubleneck guitar/basses in stock.

• Locked thread