Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Taintrunner posted:

Great episode. My guess is this is only temporary because the Saint is locked in there with all the gear - including the soul extractor.

Dude wasn't particularly sure what a television is, I'm fairly certain, so I'll find it pretty hilarious if he figures out how to use the soul extractor on himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does it even matter if the SoK's gets out? He's always going to be vulnerable to Genesis with a soul? He's not Milhouse.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Is it ever explained why he can track uses of Genesis anyways? Is it an ability the angels gave him somehow to aid in hunting down Jesse or is it some innate thing he has? Does it have to do with not having a soul?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not NASA. SpaceX. He wouldn't need oxygen or life support, just a rocket strong enough to get him to Mars and crash land him into it. Pretty sure Elon Musk would play himself.

I am kind of perplexed about why the SoK's bullet stopped in the yogurt, though. Best I can guess is that the bullets keep going until they hit something organic/living that they can kill, hence the yogurt's boiling, killing off all the bacteria inside.

I think the walls and refridgerator door just slowed it down enough it happened to come to rest in the yogurt. Not too complicated.

The bullet did travel through like 6 walls.

Dave Syndrome posted:

the yoghurt is simply boiling because the bullet is hot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does it even matter if the SoK's gets out? He's always going to be vulnerable to Genesis with a soul? He's not Milhouse.

He was vulnerable to it, period, in the comics. He's still a very big problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, even if you can tell the SoK directly to leave you alone, there's still a whole bunch of other ways he could exert control by holding innocent people hostage and causing general mayhem.

Does Genesis induce expire after awhile though? He should have told him not to try to escape the truck :).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Does Genesis induce expire after awhile though? He should have told him not to try to escape the truck :).

In the comics it doesn't. In the show no one lives long enough to find out.

Also what's the fun in telling him not to escape? It's not punishment if he doesn't want to leave.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

There's a few points in the book where it's clear that you do exactly what Jesse says to do. A major plot point involves him sentencing the guy to count the grains of sand on a beach, and "Hell, I'll let you stop at a million", which comes back around years later to show the character rail thin, teeth missing, hair grown out, finally getting to a million.

One of my favorites is Jesse yelling at some dudes to run off and one looks at the other and says "...f-f- forever?".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

while they're booking it full tilt of course :v:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I still want to see Jesse say "Eat it" to some dude pointing a gun at him. So the goon busts out all his teeth trying to eat the gun. Not a spoiler but it is from the comic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

while they're booking it full tilt of course :v:

And of course I had to find it for context.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The question is...

Do you ever stop loving yourself?

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, as I recall, any wound inflicted by the SoK's Walker Colts is lethal, and the rounds even went through tank armor in the comics, so 1800s masonry should be no problem. The one thing that seems they left out from the comics is that whenever he fires at a target, he hits his mark. Also, and I had to look this one up, they left out the part where if someone other than the SoK lays a hand on the Walkers, they see the 'mutilated spirits of the victims of the SoK.'

I like my "the bullets keep going until they hit something they can kill" (ideally a tree or something) theory. I'm gonna keep it.

It does appear that they never miss, poo poo just gets in the way a few times. Like the bullet stuck in the car at the gas station that would have probably hit Tulip (or whoever was driving) and another time the SoK shoots at Jesse just to have a truck driver get in the way and it splatter him instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

AbbadonOfHell posted:

It does appear that they never miss, poo poo just gets in the way a few times. Like the bullet stuck in the car at the gas station that would have probably hit Tulip (or whoever was driving) and another time the SoK shoots at Jesse just to have a truck driver get in the way and it splatter him instead.

There's a whole lot of scattershotting in the first showdown on the highway. I'm fine with that change from the comic, a Gunslinger who only shoots a few times is scary, but they needed to ramp up how tough he was.

Now, the shooting the intestines out of a dude and Tulip then siphoning gas through said intestine, that was dumb.

For non comic people who want to know a bit more about the Saint (spoiling even though it looks like they're going a bit different direction, but major spoilers if not) his bullets were deadly one-hit one kill because he was technically the Angel of Death. He met the original Angel of Death in Hell, and agreed to take his place. They melted down the Angel's sword to make his Colts, and thus "any shot fired from them would kill it's target, no matter who the target." Which led to this when Satan mouthed off...

It seems they're going a pretty different direction with him just being a badass stuck in Hell, though I do think they're headed the direction of (again, book spoilers)God causing his delay getting back to his wife because he felt the world "needed" a Saint of Killers. They made sure to mention "He was delayed by the great storm of 1866" when they were doing their research.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krispy Kareem posted:

They said in the ep that if the soul isn't a match, the body would eventually reject it. My guess is once the Saint's body finally rejects the soul, he's going to easily punch his way out of that armored truck.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Davros1 posted:

They said in the ep that if the soul isn't a match, the body would eventually reject it. My guess is once the Saint's body finally rejects the soul, he's going to easily punch his way out of that armored truck.

I couldn't make out the number on the fake soul-checker, but I think Jesse's ended in "A" and SoK's ended in "C," but the numbers matched. I think the more likely scenario is that the higher the percentage of the soul is harvested, the longer the effect. So since Jesse only gave 1%, it's not going to last long. It would also make sense that Happy Happy Soul Go would deal in a temporary extension on life, ensuring their clients keep coming back and referring new ones their way. Here's hoping they don't delve too much into the "Soul DNA" thing and make the stupid decision to say that Jesse and thus his family is somehow connected to the SoK by blood or that they were always ~Divinely gifted~ or something. This was a cute aside, but I don't want any loving Midichlorians in my Preacher.

The :heh: thing is that evidently New Orleans is a hub for soul traffic because the poor people down there are so utterly broken that they don't even give splitting their souls a second thought.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Voice has limits, if he snipes Jesse from far away and he doesn't see it coming he's toast. Saint almost had him when they first encountered him if not for all the cars on the road. Just gotta ambush him.

Also poo poo, Saint may be smart enough to just buy some earmuffs or something and then hunt Jesse down.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

The Voice has limits, if he snipes Jesse from far away and he doesn't see it coming he's toast. Saint almost had him when they first encountered him if not for all the cars on the road. Just gotta ambush him.

Also poo poo, Saint may be smart enough to just buy some earmuffs or something and then hunt Jesse down.

Or stab out his eardrums because 'badass' and Jesse's stupid enough to keep using The Voice, meaning he'll always know where to go, and not needing to sleep, he'll always have an edge. He's effectively a sentient zombie with a really wicked ranged attack.

Also, are *you* a bad enough dude to tell someone who looks like the SoK that he needs to PAY for those earmuffs he just shoplifted? Dude ain't *buying* poo poo, he's TAKING it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

What Billy Joel song would the SoK’s listen to?

I’m going for the easy answer and ‘Only the Good Die Young’.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

What Billy Joel song would the SoK’s listen to?

I’m going for the easy answer and ‘Only the Good Die Young’.

"No Man's Land."

There's also "The Ballad of Billy the Kid."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"We Didn't Start The Fire"

Dude's got a lot of history to get caught up on

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saint of Killers: *learns about World War II* gently caress, and they picked me to do this job? Why can't that guy do it?

*returns to Hell* oh.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davros1 posted:

"We Didn't Start The Fire"

Dude's got a lot of history to get caught up on

That's how I got education of world events before the internet.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
holy lol @ asian kid in 'Atlanta Falcons: Superbowl Champs' t-shirt

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesse's hair is out of control

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
That was an incredibly convoluted way to rob a bar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh god NOLA vampire time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hitting Starr dead on center there

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Gory gory whatahelluvaway to die :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Spectacular :golfclap:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The Starr stuff was fabulous.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mallratcal posted:

The Starr stuff was fabulous.

Too bad the *rest* of the episode was utter dogshit. =/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That bit with the guys shooting each other for money was... weird. Something felt wrong about that, like... it just didn't work.

Also Tulip kissing Cassidy was hosed up. I still don't know how y'all have anything against Cassidy, he's been nothing but a proper mate and Jesse and Tulip just keep loving with the poor guy for no reason.

Tulip is borderline making the show unwatchable for me.

Starr is amazing though.

Cassidy and Dennis is also amazing. I wanna watch the Cassidy and Son show.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This season's getting better and better.

An Atlanta Falcons and Donald Trump reference in the same episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Give me the microfiche, you bitch, or i'll kill you and your family.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

I figured it was going to go the way it did, or it was going to be a jump-cut to Starr just bending her over the table with the guys in the background looking on uncomfortably yet approvingly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In earlier years I worried that the millennialism angle of Preacher being published prior to 2000 would be an issue with any adaptation that took place afterwards. Like I seemed to remember the comic making a bigger deal out of the then-upcoming Y2K and how that played into apocalyptic scenarios for the Grail. But I guess it really doesn't matter that much after all.

E: Ennis couldn't have predicted Trump in any case, probably would have considered it too unbelievable

Or the Cubs winning :v:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 1, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

"And thank you for this... Opportunity" was pretty fuckin' amazing too, I like this guy a lot better then SoK

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They absolutely nailed Starr. I was sold when he broke the guy's combat hold on him and beat him up, but seeing him in the background walking off, getting a bar, coming back and beating in the guy's head with it was absolutely pitch-perfect Herr Starr. I am so happy with how they handled him :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I know this isn't the most serious or plausible show, but that whole recruitment process was really dumb. Especially the way they were just OK with him killing their dudes and other recruits. That isn't the sort of behaviour you want in a recruit for anything! Even assassins have to be restrained enough to only kill the people you want them to kill! And which part of "violent psychopath with poor impulse control" says "leadership potential"?

• Locked thread