Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, things take a while. Who knows what Daenerys was doing all that time. Use your imagination.

This sounds kind of close to "Yeah the writers aren't giving a poo poo about this anymore, fill in the plot holes yourself."

Apparently Martin actually has a consultant that figures out how fast medieval armies could typically move and he's always checking to make sure X person could have reached Y place in time for the plot.

Probably why the books take a decade to write but..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But it's not a plot hole? You are inventing some magic warp whistle and your brain can't fill in the blanks.

That's on you not the writers.

Cersei even throws you a bone.

"I'll pay that back in a fort night"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, things take a while. Who knows what Daenerys was doing all that time. Use your imagination.

https://youtu.be/QmKhGqWcJGY

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

But it's not a plot hole? You are inventing some magic warp whistle and your brain can't fill in the blanks.

Cersei even throws you a bone.

"I'll pay that back in a fort night"

Please explain how a medieval army can march ~500 miles, fight a huge battle, and walk back in two weeks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Please explain how a woman can walk out of fire.

Here's the thing: it doesn't matter. Who cares.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think most people agree with you on this. They're getting sloppy with who can be where and when, and you're asking the audience to make up bullshit to explain it.

You shouldn't have to make your own mental fanfic as to why people are bouncing all over the place in 5 minutes now

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I hope it's at least acknowledged next episode that Tyrion's stupid plan literally wiped out the majority of Dany's forces. Olenna was right, just loving burn the poo poo out of King's Landing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

Please explain how a woman can walk out of fire.

Here's the thing: it doesn't matter. Who cares.

This is a failure to understand the difference between what's realistically possible and what's possible in a show's universe.

The army thing is an issue because in the show's universe, they move at the speed of real medieval travel.

The immunity to fire thing is not an issue because in the show's universe, dragons & magic.

.. if this show had a magic artifact that let people portal around, all complaints would cease.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Burn the poo poo out of this thread

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't think most people agree with you on this. They're getting sloppy with who can be where and when, and you're asking the audience to make up bullshit to explain it.

You shouldn't have to make your own mental fanfic as to why people are bouncing all over the place in 5 minutes now

I think most people actually are on the "i don't give a poo poo" bandwagon. Complaining about teleportation in GoT got old years ago.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DutchDupe posted:

I think most people actually are on the "i don't give a poo poo" bandwagon. Complaining about teleportation in GoT got old years ago.

Probably true, but it's gotten particularly bad recently and I think even the casual viewer notices it, at least in the background.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whether or not you feel like any "teleportation" has ever happened, we can all probably agree that it's a bit jarring that early seasons had many episodes devoted to talking about travel, planning the travel, doing the travel, etc,

whereas now there's a scene where somebody opens their front door and says "I'm off to Highgarden" and there's a cut to them closing a door and saying "I've arrived at Highgarden!"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whether or not you feel like any "teleportation" has ever happened, we can all probably agree that it's a bit jarring that early seasons had many episodes devoted to talking about travel, planning the travel, doing the travel, etc,

whereas now there's a scene where somebody opens their front door and says "I'm off to Highgarden" and there's a cut to them closing a door and saying "I've arrived at Highgarden!"

I think you really nailed why it stands out in particular here.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did you think we were claiming literal teleportation

You weren't trolling were you

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Probably true, but it's gotten particularly bad recently and I think even the casual viewer notices it, at least in the background.

Let's not forget that apparently Euron's fleet can appear at point blank range in any weather conditions, and that he'd have to know where the Dornish/renegade fleet is going to have any realistic chance of engaging them, let alone ambushing them.

Basically the show is somewhat lazily wrapping up plot threads, some of which (Dorne) didn't really go anywhere in the first place.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The Lannisters have been getting some key wins lately.

Seeing as Cersei is a dumbass, the implication is that the Tarly guy was making all these sound tactical decisions, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the Drowned God is helping Euron and he doesn't even notice because he'll wake up and be like "poo poo, we're already there? How long was I drunk? NOT LONG ENOUGH EH WOT TOO RIGHT [grabs nuts]"

Doesn't seem like the sort of chap to question things too deeply if they're beneficial to him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The Lannisters have been getting some key wins lately.

Seeing as Cersei is a dumbass, the implication is that the Tarly guy was making all these sound tactical decisions, right?

Dialogue last week indicates that Jamie is running the tactical game, despite getting Tarly on board for that I thought.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can't remember but are we sure Jamie hadn't already left when she said "a fortnight"?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

Maybe the Drowned God is helping Euron and he doesn't even notice because he'll wake up and be like "poo poo, we're already there? How long was I drunk? NOT LONG ENOUGH EH WOT TOO RIGHT [grabs nuts]"

Doesn't seem like the sort of chap to question things too deeply if they're beneficial to him.

Show-Euron is Deus Ex Pirate as previously discussed, who the gently caress knows what's going on there except that he's the Big Bad and Real Scary and capable of doing whatever the plot needs to create a surprise.

It seems he may be correct when he said "I AM the drowned god"

Book Euron and Victarion were awesome characters but completely different.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kiimo posted:

I can't remember but are we sure Jamie hadn't already left when she said "a fortnight"?

She was in bed with Jamie when the lady said, "The Braavos guy is here" so I think he left like.. seconds after the Fortnight scene.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ah yes. They kind of painted themselves in a corner right there.

I mean, I still don't give a poo poo but that is definitely a point scored from team Google Maps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The whole goddamn army doesn't have to in person deliver the gold.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kiimo posted:

Ah yes. They kind of painted themselves in a corner right there.

I mean, I still don't give a poo poo but that is definitely a point scored from team Google Maps.

I'd swear that last week, Lord Tarly said to Jamie that it was a "long day's ride" from Horn Hill or something. Anybody remember? Horn Hill is a short walk from Highgarden, so getting any army there in 2 weeks isn't crazy if an old fuckin' fart can do a day-trip for a 5 minute meeting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It likes how in the Money Pit, everything takes two weeks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

zoux posted:

The whole goddamn army doesn't have to in person deliver the gold.

Just 20 good men could do it.

Of course it sounds simple but there are complications along the way, including treachery, infighting, backstabbing and a big storm to further throw the plan awry. Standalone film directed by Quentin Tarantino.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ravens seem to move at the speed of US domestic mail or even faster so teleporting people is just a logical extension of that. "Send a raven" in this show is literally "send an email", it never takes the actual weeks or months it would take a bird to fly that far in adverse weather/conditions and also without being shot to make Raven Stew

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't think you actually have to give the banker the gold in two weeks either. I'm pretty sure that once he gets news that an entire noble house was ransacked, that he'll be fine waiting another couple of days knowing the money is on its way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Five hundred miles? In a fortnight?!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
"A finger in the bum????" + jaime's non-verbal reaction was pretty much the best his show has ever offered sorry if someones already posted this. euron is singlehandedly carrying this

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Do you guys really want to see episodes detailing how Danny is gonna feed the dothraki without the onion night or pointless dialogue where Ser Davis declares his love for Jon Snow while they are sailing to Dragonstone? I mean watching Sansa walking through Winterfell pretending she knows about the proper way to create Stark soldier armor was cringey enough.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
What's the point of Dany having a Spymaster in her inner circle when her armies and allies keep getting caught with their pants down? What the gently caress does Varys do all day?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Westeros paying Braavos debts is pretty ridiculous. How would it even be enforced?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
When I wake up, well I know I'm gonna need,
I'm gonna need this golden hand inside of you.

When we head out, yeah I know we'll need Tarly,
I'm gonna be the man who gets him just for you.

I'm gonna withdraw, all the troops from Casterly,
I'm gonna send them all to Highgarden for you.

I'll find Olenna, she'll say now "what's it gonna be",
I'm gonna be the man who poisons her for you.

I would march five hun-dred-miles
in a fort-night march five hun-dred more
Just to be the Lann' who walks a thousand miles
To be the Valonqar

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually nobody gives a poo poo. how does the logistics of all this affect enjoyment of the show in any way? I don't get it. do you watch a tv show for the characters, story, themes, etc etc. or do you watch it for the realistic depiction of fantasy army travel and made up geography, here's a hint, if it's the second one you may be a nerd posting on this forum and not a normal tv viewer who is able to enjoy a show without giving a poo poo about stuff that doesn't matter

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

To be the Valonqar

this is extremely good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

To be the Valonqar

:five:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

What's the point of Dany having a Spymaster in her inner circle when her armies and allies keep getting caught with their pants down? What the gently caress does Varys do all day?
You're not accusing him of tossing it off, surely?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Vegetable posted:

Westeros paying Braavos debts is pretty ridiculous. How would it even be enforced?

Assassination contracts with the Faceless Men, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Is it Thursday already? Jesus.

• Locked thread