Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Warbird posted:

I don't know how everyone finds anyone else outside of the first few minutes in hotspots and in the last few minutes. One day I'll get good.

Always run to gun shots and crates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean, I get the frustration with looting too long, but I seem to have the shittiest luck in pretty much every goon game I am in. Like, everyone will be geared up with some kind of AR or sniper and a sub and have decent optics, and they're raring to go, and meanwhile I'm over here with like, a revolver and a shotgun. At that point I'm basically crossing my fingers and hoping that we come across a decently geared group and kill them before someone snipes me from 800m away.

That said, nearly every goon group I've played with has been extremely generous and helpful with gear and weapons, which helps make up for my poo poo loot luck.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

DrNutt posted:

I mean, I get the frustration with looting too long, but I seem to have the shittiest luck in pretty much every goon game I am in. Like, everyone will be geared up with some kind of AR or sniper and a sub and have decent optics, and they're raring to go, and meanwhile I'm over here with like, a revolver and a shotgun. At that point I'm basically crossing my fingers and hoping that we come across a decently geared group and kill them before someone snipes me from 800m away.

That said, nearly every goon group I've played with has been extremely generous and helpful with gear and weapons, which helps make up for my poo poo loot luck.

If it's happening game in, game out, it's not the luck, it's your ability to see and loot things efficiently.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

willroc7 posted:

If it's happening game in, game out, it's not the luck, it's your ability to see and loot things efficiently.

I don't think I play enough squads to have a reasonable sample size, but...

DrNutt posted:

I'm sure I've played a bunch of goon games with ya'll and you're great people, but drat the tea leaf reading here into the RNG wrt loot is making the Destiny thread look sane by comparison.

I mean I'm much faster now since it was pointed out to me that I looted wrong, but if I go into a cluster of houses with 3 goons and we each pick a house, and mine is the only dud, that's not on my skills.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Playa posted:

Dearsomeone just uploaded his new stream highlights video. His are the best of all INSANE FUNNY compilation videos that keep popping up these days imo. I've not watched it myself yet so I don't know if this one's as good as the others he's made, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHr_imPLEko

this is in fact a very good video.

too many good bits to pick the best but 3:11 is pretty darn good

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Also it's hard to kit out four people decently. Shotguns are fine in buildings, and you can just be the driver.
An akm with one extra mag feels awful but is all you really need.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

DrNutt posted:

I mean I'm much faster now since it was pointed out to me that I looted wrong, but if I go into a cluster of houses with 3 goons and we each pick a house, and mine is the only dud, that's not on my skills.

As a squad you should be dropping into cities or other high concentration areas. Half of buildings probably won't even have a real gun

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i hate playing with people who dont pay attention to the circle, I get that the first one doesn't do that much damage, but if you aren't lucky you spend the entire time just playing catch up with the circle and it doesn't matter how much meds and gear you collected if you use it all on healing from the blue

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

DrNutt posted:

Have you watched Grimmmz loot a building? Just practice doing what he does :)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i hate playing with people who dont pay attention to the circle, I get that the first one doesn't do that much damage, but if you aren't lucky you spend the entire time just playing catch up with the circle and it doesn't matter how much meds and gear you collected if you use it all on healing from the blue

If you're that one teammate making your squad wait, you are literally wasting their boosts and other meds.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you're that one teammate making your squad wait, you are literally wasting their boosts and other meds.

Also if you do this I personally hate you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Parallel Playa posted:

Dearsomeone just uploaded his new stream highlights video. His are the best of all INSANE FUNNY compilation videos that keep popping up these days imo. I've not watched it myself yet so I don't know if this one's as good as the others he's made, but here it is:

Some great stuff in there. Fixing vehicle physics will be the worst thing for this game once they do it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I hope they never do tbh

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh my god you can actually prone under the car sort of. Also drat that is a lot of flying bikes

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

fknlo posted:

Some great stuff in there. Fixing vehicle physics will be the worst thing for this game once they do it.

Every good game has it's charm, and making the vehicle physics behave more realistically would kill this game's, I think.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Parallel Playa posted:

Oh hell yes, me and my gf love watching these. Can't wait to watch it after work!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I wish things like them getting and using the Phantom Pain maps could ever work.

Just add in a few more incidental poo poo villages here and there and bang.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Do ballistic masks do anything or are they just decorative? I assume decorative.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shima Honnou posted:

Do ballistic masks do anything or are they just decorative? I assume decorative.

Just decorative

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Shima Honnou posted:

Decorative.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm pretty sure they frighten my opponents into missing their shots at close range.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Parallel Playa posted:

These are some good videos. Thanks for the tip.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Feeling like I'm at a bit of a skill plateau in solo. I recently made it my goal to land in more populated areas and try to get at least one or two kills at least and improve my shooting and stalking. I'm usually at least getting that, but I really struggle to find decent gear and get out to give myself advantageous position. I feel like there's also someone one step ahead of me wrt gear, and the moment I kill someone I feel like I'm giving my position away.

Tips are of course appreciated, and I'm watching all of chocotaco's vids, but are there any other streams/videos recommended for gitting gud? I prefer relaxed playstyles and chill attitudes over the hyper intense dudes if that helps narrow it a bit.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Whoa did they update the theme music? It sounds more.... high quality?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Parallel Playa posted:

This video owns

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
My favorite thing about the video is the intro kill. Just a wonderful setup and execution!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've never really played a first person shooter, but I've recently become obsessed with watching people play this on twitch and it looks fun as poo poo. I like that you can jump in, do things, die, then jump into another. However, having never played a first person shooter and with no real familiarity with the genre, am I going to hate my life if I try this?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think the stats are broken. I played 5 duos last night and go 1-5 kills in all of them, and the tracker says I only played 4 and only got 1 kill combined.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've never really played a first person shooter, but I've recently become obsessed with watching people play this on twitch and it looks fun as poo poo. I like that you can jump in, do things, die, then jump into another. However, having never played a first person shooter and with no real familiarity with the genre, am I going to hate my life if I try this?

Not at all. It's really hard to get a feel for at first, especially if you're not used to third person and bullet travel, but you'll get used to it over time. And it's fun as hell. Every game is totally different.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
This is an amazing sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58T48BtnNQ8

It's titled "Not like this" if you just watched it on reddit.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Feeling like I'm at a bit of a skill plateau in solo. I recently made it my goal to land in more populated areas and try to get at least one or two kills at least and improve my shooting and stalking. I'm usually at least getting that, but I really struggle to find decent gear and get out to give myself advantageous position. I feel like there's also someone one step ahead of me wrt gear, and the moment I kill someone I feel like I'm giving my position away.

Tips are of course appreciated, and I'm watching all of chocotaco's vids, but are there any other streams/videos recommended for gitting gud? I prefer relaxed playstyles and chill attitudes over the hyper intense dudes if that helps narrow it a bit.

Watch my stream! I will probably grind some solos after reset this week.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Got shot out of a uaz and the group wanted my team to come back and drop their early game gear or they would teabag me to death. I have honor, so I was teabagged to death.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Vehicle physics are still the best. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7CxGk_jeAQ

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest contributiob to loot goblins is not calling out needs/finds while looting. No need to call out the basics, but finding decent loot on the rare "2 helms 2 armors 2+" in one house is 10 seconds of "come get this" instead of a whole minute of "two more houses".

If you need common loot(RNG shat on you finding even a backpack or vest lv1) request it; if you find something call it, and preferably take it to a meetup.And don't be afraid to ask for ammo, good shooters can get away with maybe a mag and a half, and give you the extra bullets, because you might not be a good shot, but if you shoot more bullets, your chances of hitting things grows. And the deader the enemy, the more loot you can sort through.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Make sure to tell your squad when you've found a cool jacket.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Make sure to tell your squad when you've found a cool jacket.

If my crew isn't running full dusters then why am I even playing?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you don't tell your squad when you've found a cool jacket then you're playing the game wrong.

Also, I just started playing on Saturday. I haven't won yet but I've been so drat close. I just finished a game in 2nd because my first shot only grazed my target as he moved behind the only cover in the final circle. Looking back I should've thrown a smoke and moved to a better position. This game is hella addictive.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Popete posted:

If my crew isn't running full dusters then why am I even playing?

When I died, by buddy took my sweet red duster. Our squad mates didn't understand.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 1, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've considered murdering one of my irl friends who calls out " level 3 helmet" and then clarifies after someone runs over 5i him "oh no im using it."

Also he has called out finding a red dot while we ate engaged in a fight.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
If you're playing squads you should be singing out if you need anything and otherwise not calling out loot for sure. Stuff that's extra like gun mods or extra ammo, just pick it up and when you have some downtime announce it (like in a car or when running somewhere) then distribute it.

Another video of this week's shenanigans, very short video because I tried to get all the highlights that weren't flicadowriss 360degreenoscope plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IYCQQIN1w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat. Just had a heartbreaker of a solo round. Lucked out dropping at Primorsk and took a guy down at warehouses with an ump and no sights or attachments. There were people in town but I looted all three warehouses and despite finding an AR suppressor I couldn't find an AR or anything else, not even a backpack. I did find a level 2 vest, yippee. The circle was pretty much mid map, so I decided to cut my losses and jump in a boat and make for farther inland, and I ended up hopping out halfway between one of the bridges and Mylta. Found a little farmhouse and grabbed an M16, but only optics I could find was a holosight. I decided to wait out the circle a bit and got a couple of guys running down the beach, it was very cool to for once be the guy firing from and unknown location. Got lucky on the next couple circles, but it was down to 11 people on the 5th or 6th and I had to work my way into a cluster of buildings with essentially no cover. Yeah, that didn't end well for me.

Very fun match though, tense as heck for most of it. There were a few close vehicles but it seems like most people have tunnel vision and if you go prone soon enough they won't see you. Sometimes I take potshots to try and bait them into a fight but it rarely works.

• Locked thread