Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the black husserl posted:

I read this in The New Yorker today and it's got me kinda scared about Kelly being in the seat of power.

If Kelly can transform Trump's cartoon fascism into actually kinda real fascism, we're in trouble. But then again...

In conclusion, I hope Trump keeps being Trump.

I suspect that actual generals really intimidate Trump, in a way he doesn't know how to respond to. He's psychologically childish and generals are a sort of Ur-Father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

This was a long time ago (this morning) bit I wanted to address it:

Its Dinad Trunp. He totally could, as in he could sign anything arbitrarily.

:rolleyes:

Oh my god, don't be pedantic about it. It would be unenforceable. Yes, he could scrawl on a napkin "TAKE AWAY HEALFCARE 4 CON-GRIS" but it would mean nothing.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skylined! posted:

man y'all gotta listen to flake suck Goldwater dick in this interview whining about conservatism being hijacked. this tone deaf piece of poo poo is one of many reasons people will continue to go back to the GOP once trumpism has worn off, looking for a calm voice of oppressing the poor and vulnerable.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/31/540057532/sen-jeff-flake-as-conservatives-our-first-obligation-is-to-be-honest

If there was a single person who bears the bulk of the responsibility for the mess that the modern GOP finds itself in- Barry Goldwater would be that man. It was Goldwaters behind-the-scenes machinations that gave rise to the religious right as well as the idea that ignorant extremists could be manipulated by appealing to them with codewords.

All of Flakes efforts to fight against the problems in his beloved party are 100% worthless because Flake himself is a part of the problem.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/892155436031410176

:thunk: x 100000000000000000000000000000

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Speaking of generals, has there been an update on the transgender ban? Is it just quietly swept under the rug now, or are pentagon officials going off and figuring out exactly how to ban all transgender soldiers?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My phone speaker doesn't work what'd the RT lacky say?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mod sassinator posted:

Speaking of generals, has there been an update on the transgender ban? Is it just quietly swept under the rug now, or are pentagon officials going off and figuring out exactly how to ban all transgender soldiers?

The DoD said that they didn't consider tweets to be orders and that they were awaiting official orders or guidelines, which they had not yet received. Which is polite subcommand-speak for "gently caress off."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

man y'all gotta listen to flake suck Goldwater dick in this interview whining about conservatism being hijacked. this tone deaf piece of poo poo is one of many reasons people will continue to go back to the GOP once trumpism has worn off, looking for a calm voice of oppressing the poor and vulnerable.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/31/540057532/sen-jeff-flake-as-conservatives-our-first-obligation-is-to-be-honest

This sounds like some of the (very few) conservatives I know that are strictly fiscal conservatives, but are actually middle/middle-left on most social issues. I know that those things intertwine like two horny snakes but-

Conservatism, by any definition was terrible to begin with because if you're poor you never worked hard enough. Government health programs breed dependence. :smug: But their shitrocket has, yes been hijacked. By someone somehow, with not truly terrible morals, but none. I shrugged off the fascism comments early after he gained acceptance as a candidate as, I guess, a mutation of Godwin's law.

I was wrong.

Here is a group of people in each others orbit immune to shame. Shame is the pain you feel when you wound or mar something, and it hurts because you know YOU caused it. Republicans of the past (with exceptions) were at least willing to make a 'go through the motions' show of empathy. Not that it did them any favors in my book, I'm just saying it's very disconcerting to watch that even that flimsy wall fall in realtime. It never helped anyone but, what I guess I'm saying is to finally see the masks taken off some of these people, I was not prepared for what actually lay underneath. Somehow worse than I thought.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 1, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/892201164510560258

Hows our oil-manure sale going to Ukraine?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustached Demon posted:

My phone speaker doesn't work what'd the RT lacky say?

i didn't even watch

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/vermontgmg/status/892201132214423552

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

empty whippet box posted:

PLEASE GOD SUBPOENA HIM FOR PUBLIC SWORN TESTIMONY

Do so and the game is up - Mueller gets fired.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

Wouldn't the Secret Service try to stop the cops?

I mean, I doubt the police would just knock on the door to cuff him. It'd be a whole thing with lawyers and court cases to get anywhere near "arrest the president", but presidents don't actually have immunity to laws or protection from (most) lawsuits, It's literally just a thing everyone agrees is for the best to avoid. Presidents through history have gotten into (minor) trouble with laws and been taken to court for things.

The scenario where he broke a major law and the congress when on tv cackling saying "bwa! and there is nothing you can do about it!", is probably the point that agreement to hand legal matters for the president to the congress ends. If he then builds a private army to fight the police I guess we have had a coup and america is done and I guess the defecting wings of the army probably then probably goes and shoots him because the US is in a civil war where the president is murdering cops.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol:

:suicide:

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

If there was a single person who bears the bulk of the responsibility for the mess that the modern GOP finds itself in- Barry Goldwater would be that man. It was Goldwaters behind-the-scenes machinations that gave rise to the religious right as well as the idea that ignorant extremists could be manipulated by appealing to them with codewords.

All of Flakes efforts to fight against the problems in his beloved party are 100% worthless because Flake himself is a part of the problem.

To be slightly fair, Flake did acknowledge that the current problems of the party are not the ones Goldwater identified. It is strange he would use that as a title though, referencing Goldwater is less relevant to conservative's minds than referencing Reagan.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/892202900218359817

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/892204731736707072

More, I need moooore.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WampaLord posted:

:rolleyes:

Oh my god, don't be pedantic about it. It would be unenforceable. Yes, he could scrawl on a napkin "TAKE AWAY HEALFCARE 4 CON-GRIS" but it would mean nothing.

Its not pedantry. Half of the hilarity/horror about this administration is how his supporters think of him as an autocrat and seem to support him despite essentially any prospect of lawbreaking, abuse of power, or (flip side) lack of interest in actual policy administration.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Given today's news, a new one needs to be made with a scene from the third movie.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't have that app, what the gently caress is Gorilla Cum saying?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

LOL mere incompetence is too generous for this administration

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Holy poo poo what did Prebius do?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Watch "The Daily Ledger" on that channel. They probably have every single one of them for free online

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lol if an email prankster set into motion the chain of events that led to both Priebus and Scaramucci getting sacked

also lol at Scaramucci talking like that assassin guy from Game of Thrones

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I hope to god that Mooch's newborn is actually the blood of Priebus

Florida Ghost
Apr 5, 2011

Your Taint posted:

Oh yeah?

I think Trump sucks (holds hands out, runs down the block, yells back to you) THIS MUCH!

Bah! Child's play. (Powers up homemade rocket, flies to the moon) (Radios back) This is how much I think Trump and the whole rotten lot sucks!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://diplopundit.net/2017/07/31/tillerson-rescinds-delegated-authorities-department-wide-further-gums-up-foggy-bottom/

quote:

We heard from sources that Secretary Tillerson has rescinded all delegated authorities last week. The revocation of authorities is department-wide and includes everything apparently from the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) sanctions, and even routine authorities related to military exercises.

One called it “completely insane.”

RIP State Department

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

I don't have that app, what the gently caress is Gorilla Cum saying?

I don't think anyone watched it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

business hammocks posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't you immediately ask, "And what exactly do you think I did?!" in that person's position?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

"Sent from my iPad" is probably the best part of this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

business hammocks posted:

What is this referring to?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Deported man's wife and friends rethink voting for Trump
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-immigration-crackdown-causes-some-to-rethink-their-vote/

quote:

Dave Keck: I voted for him because he said he was going to get rid of the bad hombres. Roberto is a good hombre.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The national security implications of this are actually quite chilling.

There's also that other story about the sad state of affairs at the Department of Energy.

quote:

Meanwhile, inside the D.O.E. building, people claiming to be from the Trump administration appear willy-nilly, unannounced, and unintroduced to the career people. “There’s a mysterious kind of chain from the Trump loyalists who have shown up inside D.O.E. to the White House,” says a career civil servant. “That’s how decisions, like the budget, seem to get made. Not by Perry.” The woman who ran the Obama department’s energy-policy analysis unit recently received a call from D.O.E. staff telling her that her office was now occupied by Eric Trump’s brother-in-law. Why? No one knew. “Yes, you can notice the difference,” says one young career civil servant, in response to the obvious question. “There’s a lack of professionalism. They’re not very polite. Maybe they’ve never worked in an office or government setting. It’s not hostility so much as a real sense of concern with sharing information with career employees. Because of that lack of communication, nothing is being done. All policy questions remain unanswered.”

So basically, pretty much anyone can walk into the DOE claiming they are from the Trump administration, and be given a desk, perhaps even an office.

Russians must be laughing at how easy it has become to infiltrate the government.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't think anyone watched it.

I watched it earlier. He whined about how Mooch was awesome at New Media and would bring the fire etc...

He's super shook. I wonder if he had him as a contact or something.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ummmmmmmmmm

I feel like I missed something? (it's capitalized)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hanales posted:

I watched it earlier. He whined about how Mooch was awesome at New Media and would bring the fire etc...

He's super shook. I wonder if he had him as a contact or something.

I believe he got subpoenaed by Mueller recently. Yah tho not listening that's time I won't get back

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So he came to America 20 years ago and married a US citizen, and was deported.

Makes me wonder why he didn't just follow the green card -> citizenship route.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

enraged_camel posted:

The national security implications of this are actually quite chilling.

This statement describes everything about this administration, though. Like it's ridiculous and hilarious and worrying that the mooch was quite that gullible, but I think it's also pretty clear by now that this is the time to gently caress with the US government if you happen to be a person/organization/nation that is so inclined.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I am one, sir, that comes to tell you that
Steve Bannon is now making the beast with two backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if he'll Periscope his interview with the Special Counsel

• Locked thread