Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i am hoping the purity bee will target the bigots with his pure stinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Nationalize Facebook or burn it to the ground what a loving trash heap
Make a public alternative to Facebook/Twitter and let Facebook/Twitter burn to the ground.

It'll be easier, quicker, and more secure to build a replacement as Facebook and Twitter have plenty of free/libre open source social network protocol competitors that can be used and maintained at any level (town, state, regional,fed). This kind of network can connect to a greater network of users to ensure a huge ecosystem and can more easily give citizens an active social directory of local officials who would be encouraged to have activity.
As a new system the users initially will know who they are giving their information to and how it's used rather than sketchy user agreements or unwanted migration in event of a takeover(how would your data be handled if facebook sold, or was taken over?). Any service used by the government should be open source (preferably free/libre) so the users know exactly that with the least amount of doubt and if there is an issue the citizens can push for a change, and a fresh service will ensure a clean process.

While many wouldn't like the governmental oversight and see it as a bad thing, it'd be entirely optional and they can stick with facebook/google/ms/twitter and their copyrights on photos and other privacy exploitations you have to agree to when participating in their service as that's the purchase price to have and use an account.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

:five:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lastgirl posted:

ya thast why you target social inequality as it was said

you just laugh at their stupid ideas and promote welfare and goodness for humanity instead

if you have to stop and listen to them, then thats definitely a problem yer enabling

"more money for us, gently caress you" is written into the very dna of the republican party and any bipartisanship attempts will just water down anything the democrats try, because they have two priorities and only two priorities: "more money for us" and "gently caress you"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/892133418653417474

looks like peter found his new queen.

Tired: Hillary Rodham Clinton
Wired: Senator Kamala of the House Harris, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Congresional Hearings :swoon: :swoon:

He's not the only one

Harris is already the Main Dem You're Not Allowed To Criticize among people who get mad at you for criticizing Dems

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ex post facho posted:

that happened here in colorado. that tactic garnered enough signatures to get on the ballot here in colorado. it was subsequently battered, quashed and shot down by most of the leading democrats in the state, out of state, and by dem-supporting special interest groups like PP.

colorado, like california, presented an opportunity for democrats to take an issue that - as you've pointed out - enjoys plurality support amongst their own constituents and actually see it realized.

the fact that they ran, screaming, in the opposite direction, tells me that getting the democrats to support SP requires much more.

it requires riots and guillotines

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/PplPolicyProj/status/892166443546157057

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

"more money for us, gently caress you" is written into the very dna of the republican party and any bipartisanship attempts will just water down anything the democrats try, because they have two priorities and only two priorities: "more money for us" and "gently caress you"

democrats, extremely anemic:] ya...more money...for all of us..gently caress...them...

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
"let's give money to racists!!!" -- bernie 2020 slogan

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

deadgoon posted:

Liberals raised like $20000 after some good soul burnt down a NC GOP office

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

deadgoon posted:

you sure that won't be DCCC policy as of next month?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Thug Lessons posted:

Liberals raised like $20000 after some good soul burnt down a state GOP office

then a black church was burned down by white supremacists a week later in the same state and nobody raised a dime for them

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Al! posted:

then a black church was burned down by white supremacists a week later in the same state and nobody raised a dime for them

What a great club.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

hosed up

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Al! posted:

What you mean to say is the DSA didn't raise a dime for them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Al! posted:

yeah, but it'd be hard to blame bernie bros for that fire....

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Clinton Democrat: "Bernie Sanders didn't raise a dime for the NC black church that was burned down. Why?"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I mean, trumplords burning down a church is bad, but have you seen these bernard brethren? I hear they chain themselves to chairs to menace lawmakers :ohdear:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/892175648831275008

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al! posted:

they can't pass an unfunded mandate silly, they might have to find some way to fund it if they did

washington dems have been underfunding schools for almost a decade because they still wont implement an income tax. the jusge should throw em in jail until they get serious

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I hope sean. is right

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

dems before 2016: why don't people pay more attention to politics? :ughh:

dems after 2016: why don't people pay less attention to politics? :ughh:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

so if I paid peter daou enough money would he sing praises to whoever I want

like is that how he works

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I thought it was kind of weird that mainstream comedians were going for the "crazy enthusiastic relatives talking about their candidate on Facebook, am I right?" angle during the 2016 elections, because apparently Clinton was the Silent Majority candidate

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

dems before 2016: why don't people pay more attention to politics? :ughh:

dems after 2016: why don't people pay less attention to politics? :ughh:

Giving too much of a poo poo about the DNC or DCCC is like worrying who's running MoveOn PAC. Just worry about the candidates.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anyway, how's that "we should recreate Howard Dean's 50 state strategy" coming along

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Giving too much of a poo poo about the DNC or DCCC is like worrying who's running MoveOn PAC. Just worry about the candidates.

if someone was trying to become leader of moveon on a 'delete our email address book' platform i would care

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im....just gonna throw this one out there, for all the centrists in the audience....

not every problem...has or should have... a market-based solution....

let that one marinate a lil bit

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

its a problem if the candidates are potentially stacked as the DNC broke that trust with their lovely e-mail leaks scandal so pardon people for having concerns and scrutiny for representation while they lose faith in the electoral process~

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lastgirl posted:

its a problem if the candidates are potentially stacked as the DNC broke that trust with their lovely e-mail leaks scandal so pardon people for having concerns and scrutiny for representation while they lose faith in the electoral process~

That's so unimportant

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"We should pursue a 50 state strategy, except avoid supporting the lovely blue dog assholes that will end up voting Republican and sabotaging our agenda anyway" seems to be the message Dems missed

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

anyway, how's that "we should recreate Howard Dean's 50 state strategy" coming along

more like prolix

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ex post facho posted:

im....just gonna throw this one out there, for all the centrists in the audience....

not every problem...has or should have... a market-based solution....

let that one marinate a lil bit

could you put that in terms of market solutions

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/sadvil/status/888635767492313088

oh noes

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

they should do it

just hire a duck

it couldn't be any worse than the clowns they've put up there so far

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/883009465175474181

pro: running against anti-choice dem

con: hash tag resistance

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

single payer doesn't happen without majority support. we're not there yet. but grassroots movements have been successful in the past, and they will be successful again in the future. i think the democratic leadership needs to be bolder and willing to back things people don't want, but that doesn't mean it's a prerequisite for victory.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I feel like the part you're missing is that peoples' opinions are also heavily influenced by the opinions expressed by their politicians. Your rationale seems to assume something along the lines of "people have opinions, and politician then act based upon those opinions", but it ignores the fact that people are actually quite flexible about most topics and usually (with the exception of the few issues that are specifically important to a person) just base their opinions on what they feel (for example) "a liberal should believe." So if Democratic politicians and advocacy groups suddenly started talking about how supporting single payer is an important "liberal issue", you'd probably see support increase dramatically. The reason it's been low until recently isn't because Americans are naturally more conservative, but because they've constantly been exposed to messaging telling them "this idea is fringe and unrealistic and/or bad." If anything, the fact that we've seen such a big upswing in support for single payer despite that is a sign of how strong its support is.

I would actually go as far as to say that the views expressed by politician and the media have a bigger impact on peoples' political opinions than anything else (again with the exception of wedge issues like abortion or something).

This issue is actually a good example of the issue I frequently see with the way mainstream Democrats analyze problems. They attempt to derive some sort of useful information from statistics/polls, but then they do a poor job of interpreting them (usually in the form of operating with faulty assumptions).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I feel like the part you're missing is that peoples' opinions are also heavily influenced by the opinions expressed by their politicians. Your rationale seems to assume something along the lines of "people have opinions, and politician then act based upon those opinions", but it ignores the fact that people are actually quite flexible about most topics and usually (with the exception of the few issues that are specifically important to a person) just base their opinions on what they feel (for example) "a liberal should believe." So if Democratic politicians and advocacy groups suddenly started talking about how supporting single payer is an important "liberal issue", you'd probably see support increase dramatically. The reason it's been low until recently isn't because Americans are naturally more conservative, but because they've constantly been exposed to messaging telling them "this idea is fringe and unrealistic and/or bad." If anything, the fact that we've seen such a big upswing in support for single payer despite that is a sign of how strong its support is.

I would actually go as far as to say that the views expressed by politician and the media have a bigger impact on peoples' political opinions than anything else (again with the exception of wedge issues like abortion or something).

This issue is actually a good example of the issue I frequently see with the way mainstream Democrats analyze problems. They attempt to derive some sort of useful information from statistics/polls, but then they do a poor job of interpreting them (usually in the form of operating with faulty assumptions).

san dimas high school football rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I am a bit heartened that here in Iowa, where the swing from Obama to Trump was 14 points, the democratic candidates for governor have largely moved left. Five of the seven have committed to supporting a $15 minimum wage in the state (the other two support a raised min wage but won't commit to a number), at least one is talking about universal healthcare at the state level.

I just hope it works because the republican government has hosed the state sideways.

• Locked thread