Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

financially racist posted:

this might actually be the single stupidest thing i've read on this or any other subforum on this website, or maybe any website about cars in general

Oh no, somebody has a different opinion than you. :allears: Actually, a couple people because I share it. :v: I'm not a purist and don't care what engine from whatever manufacturer you swap in what car.

Having been in an LS2 (I think, know it came from a GTO) FD with around 480whp, it was ridiculous. Beautiful car with an awesome powertrain. I like rotaries too but it was kind of surreal launching in 2nd gear and still spinning tires, even on wide rear end RPF1's (the owner even cut the wheels down the barrel (!) and added an inch of width because he couldn't get them in the size/offset he needed) and good tires.

Still, we made fun of him and told him he should have just bought a corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are plenty of accellerationally-challenged vehicles that merge onto freeways all the time. It's just a matter of recognizing that your merge is in the hands of the drivers in the right hand lane recognizing you're too slow and moving over/speeding up/braking appropriately, and if they refuse, you're going to get a bumpy shoulder ride until someone wakes the gently caress up. Most places with hyper-short merges, the other drivers are pretty aware of it and/or there's already a horrible snarl of slow traffic due to one out of every five cars merging in at a much slower speed than the freeway traffic anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

financially racist posted:

this might actually be the single stupidest thing i've read on this or any other subforum on this website, or maybe any website about cars in general

I love my RX-7s, and I respect the rotary engine, but it is not the best engine in the world, and sometimes you just want the car to go without special snowflake poo poo. Mine currently all have rotaries, but I grew up a hot rodder. I love my V8s, too.

KakerMix posted:

Your project sucks and also, mine sucks.

Go through the picture sequence on this one and see if you had the same reaction I did

I laughed out loud when the interior picture came up

That's a chopped up Tahoe, isn't it? "Custom" dash aside, are those the rear seats? Also, LOL, rubber floor covering in your "custom".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DJ Commie posted:

That complaint seems to really stem from people who are afraid of full throttle, or engine revs. There's a few onramps/merges here that require dead-stop to highway speeds quickly, and my work HR-V full of tools requires 14 seconds or so of full throttle to get up to 65 or so, sitting at the redline the whole time. Even its ponderous pace is not dangerously slow. Now if your QX5.6x10^99 can't get up to 85 at part throttle in 150 feet, that's dangerous!

I had a 53hp Daihatsu in LA and the only times it felt uncomfortably slow was long grades with the A/C on, and then I'd just have to use 4th above the torque peak.

You and I both know that 'turning the AC off' is a legitimate way to gain a few HP and torques.
Light turns green, AC off, get up to speed, AC back on. A sort of temporary AC-delete.

Darchangel posted:

That's a chopped up Tahoe, isn't it? "Custom" dash aside, are those the rear seats? Also, LOL, rubber floor covering in your "custom".
Cusrom built bed
Cool trk

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

You and I both know that 'turning the AC off' is a legitimate way to gain a few HP and torques.
Light turns green, AC off, get up to speed, AC back on. A sort of temporary AC-delete.

Cusrom built bed
Cool trk

I notice that there are no pics of the inside of the "bed".

Also, lol on that AC thing. A coworker referred to the AC button on his Toyota Echo as the turbo, especially with four of us in the car.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

A coworker referred to the AC button on his Toyota Echo as the turbo, especially with four of us in the car.

Good avatar/post combo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DJ Commie posted:

That complaint seems to really stem from people who are afraid of full throttle, or engine revs. There's a few onramps/merges here that require dead-stop to highway speeds quickly, and my work HR-V full of tools requires 14 seconds or so of full throttle to get up to 65 or so, sitting at the redline the whole time. Even its ponderous pace is not dangerously slow. Now if your QX5.6x10^99 can't get up to 85 at part throttle in 150 feet, that's dangerous!

I had a 53hp Daihatsu in LA and the only times it felt uncomfortably slow was long grades with the A/C on, and then I'd just have to use 4th above the torque peak.
I agree with virtually all of that, but keep in mind that vehicle is a diesel, and an old one at that. There is no power to milk out of it and no revs to be had.

Old diesels, especially like that were abysmal for highway.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

slidebite posted:

I agree with virtually all of that, but keep in mind that vehicle is a diesel, and an old one at that. There is no power to milk out of it and no revs to be had.

Old diesels, especially like that were abysmal for highway.

1.6L N/A VW diesels and automatic Merc 240Ds are edge cases, the Merc is glacially slow even with a turbo kit, manual, and shorter rear end.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Try an older Transit diesel with the auto and N/A 2.5.

75 whole hp but you also had a giant heavy brick of a body to cart about (and things only get worse once you start loading the thing up)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I worked in a job with brand new n/a diesel kia pregio vans in 2004. Slow as hell when loaded up with gear and fuel economy sucked anyway. n/a diesel is often bad diesel.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 29, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That Transit made our Hiaces with the 2.8 feel like some sort of top fuel dragster so even among vans there is a hierarchy of slow

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

lmao check out this 'rare' truck

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 29, 2017

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
That last one is some

poo poo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'm pretty sure that is a real thing, I read about that somewhere and now I so wish I knew where I saw it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shy boy from chess club posted:

I'm pretty sure that is a real thing, I read about that somewhere and now I so wish I knew where I saw it.

The story - that it was a special deal for a railroad, done by a dealer - is plausible, anyway. Fab shops have been doing one-off chassis stretches like that for a long time.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Huh. That's my area code. I'd be inclined to look at it for the sheer novelty, but who knows when I'd have time. Sure dont have the money since I've already got a project car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Deteriorata posted:

The story - that it was a special deal for a railroad, done by a dealer - is plausible, anyway. Fab shops have been doing one-off chassis stretches like that for a long time.

Dodge and Internatinal definitely built them, Marmon-Herrington may have been involved as they were done for railroad crews and other similar endeavors.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 30, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Old school crewcabs always looked like goofy hackjobs. Usually because they reused the standard doors to save money.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Q_res posted:

Old school crewcabs always looked like goofy hackjobs. Usually because they reused the standard doors to save money.

Unless they already made rear doors for their wagons...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/fds-for-sale/6243157436.html

Someone save this

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
All it needs is a new ecu,

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LS swap all the things.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

no

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MrYenko posted:

LS swap all the things.

The Hartley or Radical Hyabusa based v8's would be perfect for this car I think. They would match the high revving/low torque nature of the rotary. And puke less apex seals as the boost comes on.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

9 grand lmao

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's worth it, probably.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Pell posted:

Im not sure this is the right thread, but....

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/6237019354.html

and it that page disappears:

dat price do

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

9 grand lmao

Exactly. BUY MY NON-RUNNING FRANKEN-MOBILE WITH AFTERMARKET poo poo FOR 9K!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

keykey posted:

Exactly. BUY MY NON-RUNNING FRANKEN-MOBILE WITH AFTERMARKET poo poo FOR 9K!

FD shells are still worth monayyyyy :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

BlackMK4 posted:

FD shells are still worth monayyyyy :v:

forreal i havent seen a clean FD (running or not) under 18k in years but even if you plan on swapping a fresh LS into it you're probably going to be spending around the same amount in the end and using this as your platform seems like a gamble

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Where is Spyder when you need him?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

boxen posted:

Good avatar/post combo.

:haw:

I wonder if he'd have more lookers if he put "RX-7" somewhere in the title or ad. I know I don't search for FC3S or SA22C when looking for a first gen '7. Maybe I should?

Coredump posted:

The Hartley or Radical Hyabusa based v8's would be perfect for this car I think. They would match the high revving/low torque nature of the rotary. And puke less apex seals as the boost comes on.

and cost more than the car, and a fresh rebuild on the rotary would cost put together. Those little V8s are amazing, but hoo-boy, they are spendy.

sneakyfrog posted:

dat price do

Really nice car, but, yeah.
Lose those Mustang Torq-Thrust wheels and put something a bit less muscle car and more elegant on it. Some sort of gun-metal BBS wheels, maybe? Or even some of the optional late-model Mustang wheels like I have on my Crown Vic.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sneakyfrog posted:

dat price do

I kinda dig it, and like the look of the front clip.

That price though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

Really nice car, but, yeah.
Lose those Mustang Torq-Thrust wheels and put something a bit less muscle car and more elegant on it. Some sort of gun-metal BBS wheels, maybe? Or even some of the optional late-model Mustang wheels like I have on my Crown Vic.

exactly.

and that tacky rear end engine bay lettering.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

exactly.

and that tacky rear end engine bay lettering.

Yeah, that, too. Let the engine speak for itself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I kinda dig it, and like the look of the front clip.

That price though.

Oh, I dig it. The Mark 8 is a good-looking car, and he's done some impressive work under the hood. Kudos for the very clean but stock interior and exterior. Just, $25K, stick on chrome letters (why not a more serious-looking data plate?) and common wheels that every second or third Mustang has?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
some spoked wheels would look classy AF

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Darchangel posted:

and cost more than the car, and a fresh rebuild on the rotary would cost put together. Those little V8s are amazing, but hoo-boy, they are spendy.

Yeah you're right but what a car it would be though.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Put a wrx engine in it. Ive never seen one of these with a flat four but i know you can do it on the 1st gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Okay so how dumb am I for wanting this (other than "Vanz are lame"):

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3814369?ad_cid=1

I miss my old lovely 1 owner Henna Red 1984 BMW 320i that I had in grad school, and to my eye, this all looks decently sorted/equally as lovely as my last old car fun times.