Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You're an idiot

Ok probably yeah but what's actually good about the Godfather other than its authoritative canonical status as the ur-mafia movie? I mean even that genre's done better by stuff like Goodfellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

The language they're speaking is the language of subtlety, something you don't understand.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Uranium posted:

The language they're speaking is the language of subtlety, something you don't understand.

Dude I don't think Italian can ever be described as a language of subtlety.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
godfather rules ya dingus

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnwE_Oy5WI

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Godfather is a canonically great movie.

It's okay not to like it but it's dumb to expect people to agree with you.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Javes posted:

I like Pod Save America for the most part, but saw that Joy Ann Reid is a guest on the most recent episode and I got sad that people respect her opinion still.

I listened to it. It is as bad as you'd expect. The former Bernie campaign spokesperson mentioned that young minorities overwhelmingly favored Bernie and that Bernie's policies were better for minorities and she went full on "Bernie bro" bullshit.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Movie discussions in Geohell.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
What's worse: disliking the godfather or having never seen the godfather

Asking genuinely

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

joepinetree posted:

I listened to it. It is as bad as you'd expect. The former Bernie campaign spokesperson mentioned that young minorities overwhelmingly favored Bernie and that Bernie's policies were better for minorities and she went full on "Bernie bro" bullshit.

It's their only line of thought regarding the matter. These are the people who saw Sanders yield the stage to two BLM activists and called him a pouting baby.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

quadrophrenic posted:

Asking genuinely

well babies haven't saw it, it's not really their fault though

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
All this talk of Coppola and not one mention of Captain EO, for shame y'all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's like how you can say Citizen Kane is very dull to actually sit through, but you probably shouldn't say it's actually a lovely movie unless you have some really good points to make about the concept of movies as storytelling mediums and all. You don't have to like Godfather but saying it's not good is just kinda dumb.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Citizen Kane is tremendously entertaining & fun to watch imo

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Getting up one's own rear end about movies is how we got Ready Player One.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Whoa lets not go crazy here

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quadrophrenic posted:

Asking genuinely

what's funnier is telling white people you don't like the beatles

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

You can recognise Citizen Kane and the Godfather and Birth of a Nation as important in western cinema without having to concede to the idea that they're actually fun or good or in any way entertaining. All I said was that I found the Godfather dull and would absolutely rather watch Dracula which, if nothing elese, doesn't piss about in Sicily for what feels like half the film.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

did anyone give her grief about soviet yugoslavia?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

The Muppets On PCP posted:

what's funnier is telling white people you don't like the beatles

when they ask what kind of music youv DO like, just say rap/hiphop and they have to shut the gently caress up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TomViolence posted:

Ok probably yeah but what's actually good about the Godfather other than its authoritative canonical status as the ur-mafia movie? I mean even that genre's done better by stuff like Goodfellas.

The entire movie, also Goodfellas is a very different movie from the Godfather you Schween

The book Wiseguy is even better tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TomViolence posted:

You can recognise Citizen Kane and the Godfather and Birth of a Nation as important in western cinema without having to concede to the idea that they're actually fun or good or in any way entertaining. All I said was that I found the Godfather dull and would absolutely rather watch Dracula which, if nothing elese, doesn't piss about in Sicily for what feels like half the film.

I mean you can say Godfather and Citizen Kane aren't good but important but everyone who didn't eat lead based paint as a child is going to look at you weird

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I bet you don't even like Casablanca you fuckin dingus

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
oh my god who gives a poo poo

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

You know who else enjoyed The Godfather?

THE REPUBLICANS

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You know who else enjoyed The Godfather?

THE REPUBLICANS

theruhpublcans

fairlight
May 18, 2007

This conversation sucks but at least it got me excited for Matt's review of Ready Player One

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/892201093404426240

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Troy Queef posted:

he is a dumbass for many, many reasons but in fairness Dracula gets shat on unfairly because of Keanu Reeves/his accent. it has great practical effects, Gary Oldman and Tom Waits as Drac/Renfield, and the costume design is still gushed over to this day. (also there's Monica Bellucci and Winona Ryder, if you're into that sort of thing.)

I'm not here to poo poo on Dracula, I'm here to point out that The Conversation is awesome. :colbert:

Serf
May 5, 2011

all of this discussion is pointless since the greatest movie ever made is Bad Boys 2.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

quadrophrenic posted:

Citizen Kane is tremendously entertaining & fun to watch imo

:agreed:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/dwayne483/status/892160709425016832

(I have no idea if this is Irony or Care but I'm not concerned either way.)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That thread contains the only funny Harry Potter is politics joke:

https://twitter.com/kulturalmarx/status/892161228671303681

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm already tired of future Law & Order Dem candidate Kamala Harris. Time for a break from twitter for awhile.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Famethrowa posted:

I couldn't find it if I wanted to, it was mostly Chris passive aggressively subtweeting about how much immature he thinks the new left is.

I like them too, but Chris can be a real bitchmade. I miss when ideotv had other guests.

Yeah, it's just a dozen or so tweets and subtweets between them, I was exaggerating for comedic effect.

TomViolence posted:

It's a good loving movie with outstanding writing, performances, cinematography, editing, etc. It features some of the best acting ever put to film, a complex story full of interesting characters and motivations, punctuated by brutal character twists and violence. Even divorced of context, the film includes staggering imagery, such as the horse head in the bed, Sonny gunned down at the toll booth, the juxtaposition of Michael becoming a godfather intercut with his goons murdering three heads of the Five Families and Moe Green, there's a lot of incredible stuff in it.

prefect posted:

I'm not here to poo poo on Dracula, I'm here to point out that The Conversation is awesome. :colbert:

Hell yes, the Conversation rules, it's the perfect film for 21st Century America. It's mind-boggling that Coppola released The Conversation and The Godfather Part II the same year.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I used to like Joy Ann Reid but this is loving stupid:

https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/892213755328811010

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Evergreen post:

Joy Ann Reitard

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Nothing will top Joy Ann Reid going anti-Slavic racism on Trump's wives and still loving that up.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/brianefallon/status/892154882622468096

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

TomViolence posted:

Ok probably yeah but what's actually good about the Godfather other than its authoritative canonical status as the ur-mafia movie?

The acting, characters, dialogue, music, cinematography, themes, and the story.