Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Paris, Texas has Harry Dean Stanton giving one of the best lead performances in cinema history. It should be at the top of your list.

Arrow's 3 Women gives you more bang for your buck if your player can handle Region B discs. Especially since they've got a sale on right now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Badlands and Paris, TX are two of my favorites.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm trying to pick a third to round out my order, should I blind buy Lost in America or Battle of Algiers?

Battle of Algiers by loving far

e: Lost in America is dope but Battle of Algiers might honest-to-God be one of the most important movies ever made

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: Lost in America is dope but Battle of Algiers might honest-to-God be one of the most important movies ever made

Yeah, I'm going for this. I'm much more excited to watch it after reading about them both. Though this release of Lost in America does include and essay by my boy Scott Tobias. I'll have to save it for the November sale.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Unmature posted:

I went with Medium Cool after watching the trailer. Seems up my alley.

Medium Cool is really good if you're interested in the late 60s. Def gives a great view of what it was like to be on the ground in '68.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Battle of Algiers was the first criterion I ever bought and it blew my mind when I was a 18 year old kid.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

You're a cookie full of arsenic, Hector.

bunch of booze too, probably

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
3 Women may be my favourite Altman.

No, wait, Nashville.

No, wait, 3 Women.

No, wait, Nashville.

Okay, it's a tie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Twin Cinema posted:

No, wait, Nashville.

No, wait, 3 Women.

No, wait, Nashville.

Okay, it's a tie.

McCabe and Ms. Miller!!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Galaxy Brain: McCabe and Mrs. Miller

E: jinx

Related, has anyone else tried Tanner 88? I checked out the first episode and it's definitely interesting to see Altman's approach in the context of a primary, but the limitations of TV production at the time really hold it back. Still, you can see its dna in West Wing, Veep, et al.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I Before E posted:

Galaxy Brain: McCabe and Mrs. Miller

E: jinx

Related, has anyone else tried Tanner 88? I checked out the first episode and it's definitely interesting to see Altman's approach in the context of a primary, but the limitations of TV production at the time really hold it back. Still, you can see its dna in West Wing, Veep, et al.

I've watched a few episodes and I think it holds up surprisingly well. I got Gary Trudeau to sign my booklet for it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
exploding brain: quintet

also tanner 88 is so loving good. the use of video and tv format works hugely to its advantage because everything in its format screams "real!" (compare it to War Room, which has a similar vibe)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Twin Cinema posted:

No, wait, Nashville.

No, wait, 3 Women.

No, wait, Nashville.

Okay, it's a tie.

I got high the other day and re-watched MASH and had quite the time, let me tell you

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
MASH is really good, but man, every scene with Hot Lips is uncomfortable.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
MASH really falls apart in the crappy football sequence, as well.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Twin Cinema posted:

MASH is really good, but man, every scene with Hot Lips is uncomfortable.

Please don't talk about my girlfriend Sally Kellerman, like that.

Also, football scene owns, imo.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The set design in Stalker is loving incredible. Is it even set design? Or did all these places just really exist? Like the door to the tunnel with all the fuzzy mold on it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Unmature posted:

The set design in Stalker is loving incredible. Is it even set design? Or did all these places just really exist? Like the door to the tunnel with all the fuzzy mold on it.

I think it was mostly just location shooting at a couple of abandoned factories. It all feels so real, it puts even stuff like Children of Men to shame. To be fair, the sets in Children of Men have big action scenes happening in them, so that's a whole different challenge.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tripple dipped with America Lost and Found (BBS set) and His Girl Friday. I actually owned the BBS set before, but it was one that I had to sell.

Almost got more, but they didn't have Breathless.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Unmature posted:

They apparently shot in some moderate to seriously dangerous abandoned industrial sites in Estonia that may have indirectly resulted in several cancer deaths among the cast and crew later on.

From the Wikipedia article:

Sound designer Vladimir Sharun posted:

We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Jägala with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream. There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison. Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces. Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larisa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris.

The fact that something like Stalker was written and shot seven years before Chernobyl just goes to show that Soviet Russia was already well familiar with horrible unexplained events leading to depopulated wastelands.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Jesus loving Christ.

I feel like I accidentally clicked on the PYF unsettling articles thread.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
what was that john wayne western they filmed downwind from all atomic testing and bunch of crewmembers got cancer

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Unmature posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

I feel like I accidentally clicked on the PYF unsettling articles thread.

Also, they hosed up and lost half the film the first time, so they had to go BACK to those areas and refilm a bunch of it.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

what was that john wayne western they filmed downwind from all atomic testing and bunch of crewmembers got cancer

The Conqueror, there's good WHM and Chapo episodes about it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It took a couple evenings, but I finished Stalker. I can safely say I've definitely never seen another film like it. Goddamn.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RIP Jeanne Moreau. :smith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen a ton of her work but she was absolutely fantastic in La Notte.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like they got The Philadelphia Story per the newsletter clue.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Awesome. I love Tom Hanks.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

The Bride Wore Black is a cool Truffaut film and she was good in it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Awesome. I love Tom Hanks.

No, idiot, it's the movie about the boxer with Sly Stallone.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

No, idiot, it's the movie about the boxer with Sly Stallone.

It's OK, but I'm not much into rock musicals despite Tim Curry being good in it

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like they got The Philadelphia Story per the newsletter clue.

Is that the one where he fights Mr. T?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
No you dingus.

It's about how that bell got cracked.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Nah, it's the one where an aircraft carrier from WWII gets sent into the future to meet RoboCop's partner.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wait I thought the movie where Travolta was a sound guy was already in the Collection?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's actually about The Nightman and The Dayman battling for a boy's soul

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

It's actually about The Nightman and The Dayman battling for a boy's soul

No you're thinking of Twin Peaks

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, The Front Page is a fantastic movie. Since I have seen His Girl Friday before, I watched its predecessor first. It's one of those films I've been curious about, but it has always looked and sounded like garbage thanks to its public domain status. The film is full of clever camera movements - it reminds me of the '31 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde in how every shot seems to have something interesting going on. Also, since this version only survives as one dupey print, the image quality is at least very clean (taken from metal masters), but it's the sound that's a real stunner. This is one of the best instances of Criterion including a second film on a release. Given that both this and His Girl Friday are in the public domain, this makes the package that much more valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Welp I caved and decided to hit up that sale.

My gets:

Rififi
Stalker
Ghost World
Blow-Out
Cat People

All blind buys except for Stalker which I haven't seen since 2004. I hope I got some good ones!