Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That's it, I'm going to get a job as a GM at Daybreak and ban all you filthy cheaters.

Just kidding. I'll do my job and say that doing my job is not doing my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Givin posted:

If the answer is "No, our raid guild did it legit", then you were a bottomfeeder who lived off outdated forgotten content.

I don't care if you call me a bottom feeder, because we didn't need such tools as we didn't race for open world targets. We were so far ahead on the competition we were glad for them to get some targets.

What I do care about is not giving the mage bot armies and campers even more tools to ruin the game for the regular player who just wants some nostalgic fun.

Evernoob fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 27, 2017

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Evernoob posted:

I don't care if you call me a bottom feeder, because we didn't need such tools as we didn't race for open world targets. We were so far ahead on the competition we were glad for them to get some targets.

You don't race for open world targets but are ahead of the competition? is this TLP or live because I struggle to believe this.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This game holds on to some poo poo design choices but they lost to wow over a decade ago and if the turbospergs who still play it want to box or whatever may as well keep them happy, not like they could bring in new blood even if they wanted to try.

So far agnarr hasnt seemed too bad to me though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Tai posted:

You don't race for open world targets but are ahead of the competition? is this TLP or live because I struggle to believe this.

I think me speaking in the past tense was clear that I meant classic times. Up to PoP era.

TLP are vastly different indeed, and people know exactly how to exploit or game every feature of the game. It is easy enough as it is now. No need to introduce extra cheats.
Expeditions change the whole game toI obviously. This is my first TLP so I'm curious how bad it will be to get important open world targets in Kunark, especially for some extreme bottlenecks for the epics

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Evernoob posted:

I think me speaking in the past tense was clear that I meant classic times. Up to PoP era.

TLP are vastly different indeed, and people know exactly how to exploit or game every feature of the game. It is easy enough as it is now. No need to introduce extra cheats.
Expeditions change the whole game toI obviously. This is my first TLP so I'm curious how bad it will be to get important open world targets in Kunark, especially for some extreme bottlenecks for the epics

If you're playing on Agnarr and not a member of Faceless Empire your chances of getting an open world target in Kunark is 0%.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Evernoob posted:

Everything was open world in that time period.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Inktu`Ta is one of the best balanced raids there is for a long while. Small bit of trash clear before an event. EoE can do Inktu`Ta in about an hour but we still fart around a bit and roll right into Kelekdrix with no mana, so by the time we get to the golem hallway we're running dry.

Txevu depends on how much you want to clear. Without the keys, you need to do three events: Gladiator Pit, High Priest, and Zun. However, once you finish those three and have Signet of Command, you can request Tacvi. There are a total of seven additional events you could do for loot, four of them have low health and the rest are Gladiator Pit / High Priest level difficulty.

Tacvi is a boss-like trash Mastruq followed a boss. Again, up to you on how you want to do it. You can beeline for Tunat to get on the kills board whenever Daax finally updates it, or you can take your time and kill stuff. I recommend for your first trip through you go south to Riel Tavas and the south-north Zun (Yihst Vor) which is the easiest route to Tunat. North snake and Nascar (North-South Zun) are annoying and have mechanics that waste time.

Kelekdrix in Inktu'ta wrecked us, heh. First real raid fight in GoD where our "casual scum" status kinda started to be noticeable. That PB AE the adds cast melted a few returning ghosts / alts, and it just cascaded. We only had 3 bards at the raid. Then the spawned adds never despawned. Then normal trash respawns in the room. So it was difficult for us to re-engage, but we did eventually get through it. After that the rest of the raid went fine, and was pretty drat fun if I do say so myself.

But that AE definitely has me worried. Looks like final boss in Txevu has a worse version. We'll probably beeline for progression then go back and take out others depending on time. We're definitely not at EoE clearing speeds, heh. I'd say we have a core of about ~35 raiders that don't ghost, show up to most events, decently geared. The rest is made up of all sorts of people. Good people, but very casual raiders, and it's really starting to show on a few fights.

Thanks for the path through Tacvi - we'll take your advice on it. Probably beeline that way just to get a feel for the zone, then loop back and check out the other bosses.

Also wtf at Daax, heh. Does updates for the first night race, then never updates for a week. EDIT: Oh hay, he literally just updated. Said he was on vacay for a week right after GoD launch.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 27, 2017

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rallos posted:

If you're playing on Agnarr and not a member of Faceless Empire your chances of getting an open world target in Kunark is 0%.

This, although tbf their existence really drives home that classic feel, luckily for those of us not on disability agnarr has picks and instanced versions of raids.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rallos posted:

On Phinny at Kunark launch, VP key poo poo was very rare. They later nerfed it to make it all more common. They said it was intentional - keep it rare at the start, then later on make it more common.

Do those of you on Agnarr know if VP key will start off at the "nerfed" stage? I'm assuming yes?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I never played on phinny but i cant imagine they change a whole hell of a lot for this server besides the pop lock.

I do enjoy having the golden idols in the game.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Kelekdrix in Inktu'ta wrecked us, heh. First real raid fight in GoD where our "casual scum" status kinda started to be noticeable. That PB AE the adds cast melted a few returning ghosts / alts, and it just cascaded. We only had 3 bards at the raid. Then the spawned adds never despawned. Then normal trash respawns in the room. So it was difficult for us to re-engage, but we did eventually get through it. After that the rest of the raid went fine, and was pretty drat fun if I do say so myself.

But that AE definitely has me worried. Looks like final boss in Txevu has a worse version. We'll probably beeline for progression then go back and take out others depending on time. We're definitely not at EoE clearing speeds, heh. I'd say we have a core of about ~35 raiders that don't ghost, show up to most events, decently geared. The rest is made up of all sorts of people. Good people, but very casual raiders, and it's really starting to show on a few fights.

Thanks for the path through Tacvi - we'll take your advice on it. Probably beeline that way just to get a feel for the zone, then loop back and check out the other bosses.

Also wtf at Daax, heh. Does updates for the first night race, then never updates for a week. EDIT: Oh hay, he literally just updated. Said he was on vacay for a week right after GoD launch.

You can set up for Kelekdrix in the cubby, rez / rebuff / mana up and wait for the NPCs in her room respawn, kill them, then start the event. The cubby is almost always safe from harm, so if people are getting worked, have them run back there and get heals. Healers can more or less stay there if they're low HP.

Once Kelekdrix is active (after the ushers etc die) burn her. Keep mages with your tanks so you can COTH them back. Your goal is to kill Kelekdrix before she goes inactive.

Wanton Destruction from Zun is on a much longer timer. You can't avoid it, except to resist it, but even then you have plenty of time to heal up.

xZAOx posted:

On Phinny at Kunark launch, VP key poo poo was very rare. They later nerfed it to make it all more common. They said it was intentional - keep it rare at the start, then later on make it more common.

Do those of you on Agnarr know if VP key will start off at the "nerfed" stage? I'm assuming yes?

This was a server-wide change, and it was never stated to be intentional. Its safe to assume that the VP key stuff should all be accelerated.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

You can set up for Kelekdrix in the cubby, rez / rebuff / mana up and wait for the NPCs in her room respawn, kill them, then start the event. The cubby is almost always safe from harm, so if people are getting worked, have them run back there and get heals. Healers can more or less stay there if they're low HP.

Once Kelekdrix is active (after the ushers etc die) burn her. Keep mages with your tanks so you can COTH them back. Your goal is to kill Kelekdrix before she goes inactive.

Wanton Destruction from Zun is on a much longer timer. You can't avoid it, except to resist it, but even then you have plenty of time to heal up.

Yar, that's where we re-set up. I had ran in there and found it as safe as anything. It was still challenging for us scrubs just because there was like 4 or 5 of those guys up at once, but once we got a few down, it went smooth. Lots of coth'ing heh - but our only mages were boxes.

Good to hear that Zun isn't defined by that AOE! We'll find out tonight who all needs to hit up the drat baz and buy some gear...

Btw Hoohah, I'm joining you on Team GoD. Loving this expac and raids so far.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GOD raids are loving awesome, there's a bunch of fun ones leading up to Tac'vi, I REALLY liked tac'vi because there's jack poo poo for trash except really fuckoff almost raid boss type trash

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
As a side note, since AoS and time-zone teams are keeping the goats dead, you can pop the Inktu`Ta instance every 2 hours once its off lockout and the first hall has a named (Nijacka the Scourge). A good group can take him down, and he has a chance to drop armor bits.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I've been enjoying my time back.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Warrior Princess posted:

I've been enjoying my time back.

Where's the basement pool/hot tub?

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

MF_James posted:

Where's the basement pool/hot tub?

I'm only a two-boxxer, sorry.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014
So if I wanted to get into this what's the best way to go about it? I've basically had it with the mainstream MMO's at this point and I'm just looking for something lowkey that I can explore and have fun with without having to worry too much about being competitive with people who're playing it like a second job. I've heard a lot of people like Agnarr but then others say Phinny is still the way to go. Personally I never experienced the game in its prime, I was a little too young, so I'm not too worried about nostalgia just looking for something fun.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
EverQuest is work only no fun allowed, sorry

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

xZAOx posted:

EverQuest is work only no fun allowed, sorry

Well poo poo. -finger snap-

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
As a new player I would definitely recommend Agnarr. The amount of content is not too big so you won't be overwhelmed too much. 12 weeks per expansion is a nice rhytm and we are just starting.
There is also a nice grouping exp bonus, and as long as you play a class that is group friendly you wont ever have a hard time finding one.

Live is nuts exp, solo you can get level 30 with your merc in just a few hours. So maybe before paying you could fire up a new character there just to see what the game looks like (not much).

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Really enjoying Tacvi on Phinny - The 'trash' elite mastruq are utterly brutal and need to be treated with respect and lots of healing ! Not like the trash in Txevu where you can have a couple of mobs hitting you while you get them slowed and not worry too much.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
People say Phinigel or Agnarr to new players, and I have to completely disagree. These servers are built and designed for the nostalgia factor, and people who have played other, more modern MMOs will look at the restrictions on it and be baffled.

Playing on Progression means not having the following, at least for several months on Phinigel and in many cases on Agnarr, never:
* Ability to click items from bags
* 2 extra inventory slots
* Greater-than-10 slot bags that aren't purchased for real money
* Bandolier for hot-swapping weapon setups
* Potion belt for quickly using potions
* Agro Meter
* Extended Target Window
* The ability to block a buff if you don't want it to show up
* Substantial number of AAs, some of which are class defining (think Berserker's Cry of Battle, which turns their warcry ability into a raid buff)
* Mercenaries
* Tasks (think WoW quests), many of which have legitimately desirable rewards
* Defiant armor (the catch-up mechanic for gear until level 80)
* Hot zones and hot zone quests
* Out of combat regeneration (think food/water in WoW, but naturally built in after 30 seconds of downtime)

Additionally, you have to pay to play on these servers.

As to being 'overwhelmed' by the amount of content on live, I seriously question this as a problem. The game doesn't railroad you into a specific path for leveling, but it does a drat good job in the suggested 'go here and do stuff' with the Hero's Journey, at least up to level 70 or so.

I'd honestly recommend, if you want to just poke at the game and see if it might be your cup of tea, is to play on the Test server. Unless I'm mistaken it still doesn't require a subscription to play on, it gives you full access to the game up to the Call of the Forsaken expansion (level 100+), and you'll get a few extra goodies for playing there (full access to Veteran rewards and double XP) that can speed you along through the game. If you find that you like it, but you want to try it with people and don't care for that list I posted, you can pop on Agnarr or Phinigel and get going there. If you do want the list above but people to play with, I think most people are on Xegony on live now? If not that, Firiona Vie?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I have to agree somewhat on the QoL improvements.

But...

TLP's are very new player friendly. You will immediately find groups of people to level with.
On the other had the Live Servers are pretty much a wasteland of groups in the lower levels (especially below 80). And when you see groups it's usually multiboxers and their mercs.

TLP's guilds are mostly very recruit friendly, especially for leveling. Raiding guilds on Agnarr are starting to put in some restrictions (the most elitist ones had them from day 1 off course).

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
I started up again VERY casually on the FV server (it says RP preferred, but nobody does). The server itself is nicely active, lots of general chat chatter, auctions, etc going on. The community is decently helpful and nice.

What's cool about FV is 99% of the items are free to trade, which means raid items etc that would normally be "No Drop/No Trade" are openly tradable to other players. That means, if you've saved the money, you can deck your guy out in literal raid gear for what ever level you're at, making you feel like a super badass every 5-10 levels past 60.

As a live, non-progression server, you will be soloing with your merc until the 80s at least for the most part. I however managed to group several times from 1-80 just by saying hi to other people in zone and tossing them some buffs. This is fine though, as the pre-80 levels fly by on live.

If you're interested, I'm Traygek on FV, just shoot me a tell and I can hook you up with some starting cash etc. Just remember on the FV server the language your character speaks matters, and the language everybody speaks is Elvish.

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 1, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
While I definitely don't disagree with Hoohah's specific points, I think the honest truth is...there's no real obvious path for EQ to newcomers. All of them have serious issues.

Live servers:
-You're going to hit a very serious brick wall when solo'ing with a merc stops working, usually in the 80s.
-Everquest is super top heavy, not many leveling groups
-If there is a leveling group it's most likely a single person boxing all their toons
-If that person lets you in, they're going to be busy controlling several characters, probably not very chatty, and in my experience is just not a fun way to experience the game
-Honestly molo'ing up to 80s isn't exactly fun either
-Overload of windows - a lot of these are actually great QoL features that Hoohah mentioned, but they get overwhelming when you're just trying to figure poo poo out to start with

Live servers and you boost:
-Good luck figuring anything out about your class
-The amount of skills and spells and bloat is ridiculous

Okay gently caress all that then, eh? Let's go TLP:

Phinny:
-Several modern QoL features are missing as Hoohah pointed out.
-That said, there's still no corpse runs for gear (just lost exp) which is a huge improvement over the original game
-We're into GoD, about to be into OoW. You've missed a lot of the best parts of EQ (even though many will talk about some great stuff coming ahead too, esp OoW)
-Leveling groups are just going to get sparser
-Many popular zones are already taken over by people doing AE groups

Agnarr:
-You're not far behind everyone!
-Should be able to level fine
-Some classes and races aren't unlocked yet
-This server will start to wither once it hits PoP since that's when it quits. That said, you'll get a real solid feel for what EQ is about by then and get a good experience.

The truth of the matter is, EQ needs major reworking before anyone can seriously recommend this game to someone who isn't already into it. Of course, EQ is on a shoestring budget, and they do good just to keep pumping out new expansions for the current playerbase (which are much, much smaller these days) and TLPs.
-The UI is horrible. Just getting chat windows acceptable is an effort (globs of battle spam, no tabbed chat, etc)
-Melee skills/disc, songs, and spells are all a cluster.
-Melee get to enjoy lots of text-based buttons. I mean, I'm old, I can live with it, but that's archaic to get in a new player
-Discs, songs, and spells all need to be *drastically* reduced. For the most part all the clutter really is "you X amount of relevant skills/songs/spells, but every expac you get new ones of that line". However, names change, it doesn't replace the old outdated version, so the clutter really just builds and builds. For a new player it's insanely overwhelming trying to sort it.
-Eleventy billion AA. They put in some effort over the past year to reduce some of the clutter here at least, and collapse some lines, but you still have a lot of "oh that's a passive" and "oh that one you need to get a button for it to use it". Stuff is just spread out everywhere
-There's not really any up-to-date go-to guides. There's lots of outdated info, but that stuff is all fan-driven, and with such a small community these days, it's hard to find good info.
-I have a soft spot for EQs graphics, but the engine itself is miserable. Even the beefiest PC is going to lag all to gently caress when there's a large group of players. Just how the engine is written. Without some heavy rewrites to areas to actually start using the GPU, it will continue to be that way.

I love EverQuest. I've loved, and continue to love, my experience on Phinny - to the point that I now consider it my meatiest EverQuest experience. I've been on it solid for over a year now, which I've never ever done in an MMO ever before (usually ~3 months or so I'd take a break...which is when a new expansion hits now!). But it's not backed by Blizzard and doesn't have the resource to rewrite major systems and subsystems when needed to keep it up to date.

I've often played the "I wish I had infinite monies" mental game to imagine what could be done to just throw cash at it and fix up a lot of these rough edges that wouldn't actually stop EQ from being EQ, heh. But none of us have infinite monies, and EQ really will never be something for people not familiar and already into it, and willing to put up with the flaws.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

xZAOx posted:

While I definitely don't disagree with Hoohah's specific points, I think the honest truth is...there's no real obvious path for EQ to newcomers. All of them have serious issues.

Live servers:
-You're going to hit a very serious brick wall when solo'ing with a merc stops working, usually in the 80s.
-Everquest is super top heavy, not many leveling groups
-If there is a leveling group it's most likely a single person boxing all their toons
-If that person lets you in, they're going to be busy controlling several characters, probably not very chatty, and in my experience is just not a fun way to experience the game
-Honestly molo'ing up to 80s isn't exactly fun either
-Overload of windows - a lot of these are actually great QoL features that Hoohah mentioned, but they get overwhelming when you're just trying to figure poo poo out to start with

Live servers and you boost:
-Good luck figuring anything out about your class
-The amount of skills and spells and bloat is ridiculous

Okay gently caress all that then, eh? Let's go TLP:

Phinny:
-Several modern QoL features are missing as Hoohah pointed out.
-That said, there's still no corpse runs for gear (just lost exp) which is a huge improvement over the original game
-We're into GoD, about to be into OoW. You've missed a lot of the best parts of EQ (even though many will talk about some great stuff coming ahead too, esp OoW)
-Leveling groups are just going to get sparser
-Many popular zones are already taken over by people doing AE groups

Agnarr:
-You're not far behind everyone!
-Should be able to level fine
-Some classes and races aren't unlocked yet
-This server will start to wither once it hits PoP since that's when it quits. That said, you'll get a real solid feel for what EQ is about by then and get a good experience.

The truth of the matter is, EQ needs major reworking before anyone can seriously recommend this game to someone who isn't already into it. Of course, EQ is on a shoestring budget, and they do good just to keep pumping out new expansions for the current playerbase (which are much, much smaller these days) and TLPs.
-The UI is horrible. Just getting chat windows acceptable is an effort (globs of battle spam, no tabbed chat, etc)
-Melee skills/disc, songs, and spells are all a cluster.
-Melee get to enjoy lots of text-based buttons. I mean, I'm old, I can live with it, but that's archaic to get in a new player
-Discs, songs, and spells all need to be *drastically* reduced. For the most part all the clutter really is "you X amount of relevant skills/songs/spells, but every expac you get new ones of that line". However, names change, it doesn't replace the old outdated version, so the clutter really just builds and builds. For a new player it's insanely overwhelming trying to sort it.
-Eleventy billion AA. They put in some effort over the past year to reduce some of the clutter here at least, and collapse some lines, but you still have a lot of "oh that's a passive" and "oh that one you need to get a button for it to use it". Stuff is just spread out everywhere
-There's not really any up-to-date go-to guides. There's lots of outdated info, but that stuff is all fan-driven, and with such a small community these days, it's hard to find good info.
-I have a soft spot for EQs graphics, but the engine itself is miserable. Even the beefiest PC is going to lag all to gently caress when there's a large group of players. Just how the engine is written. Without some heavy rewrites to areas to actually start using the GPU, it will continue to be that way.

I love EverQuest. I've loved, and continue to love, my experience on Phinny - to the point that I now consider it my meatiest EverQuest experience. I've been on it solid for over a year now, which I've never ever done in an MMO ever before (usually ~3 months or so I'd take a break...which is when a new expansion hits now!). But it's not backed by Blizzard and doesn't have the resource to rewrite major systems and subsystems when needed to keep it up to date.

I've often played the "I wish I had infinite monies" mental game to imagine what could be done to just throw cash at it and fix up a lot of these rough edges that wouldn't actually stop EQ from being EQ, heh. But none of us have infinite monies, and EQ really will never be something for people not familiar and already into it, and willing to put up with the flaws.

drat! That's a hell of a write up with a lot of things to consider, thank you!

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
imho get out and find a new game, times ticking down until daybreak shuts down. It might not be for a lil while, but their cash cow game is bleeding members severely to PUBG and I don't see any future for them at least currently.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Krazuel posted:

imho get out and find a new game, times ticking down until daybreak shuts down. It might not be for a lil while, but their cash cow game is bleeding members severely to PUBG and I don't see any future for them at least currently.

We get a patch every month and an expansion every year. Yes, the content is less because they're 1) inept, and 2) smaller than SOE was, but Everquest has been dying since Kunark. It isn't going away for a long time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Node posted:

We get a patch every month and an expansion every year. Yes, the content is less because they're 1) inept, and 2) smaller than SOE was, but Everquest has been dying since Kunark. It isn't going away for a long time.

Why do I get this ominous feeling we're going to be quoting this post at you in like 2-3 months :(

Why'd you have to say that? :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Node posted:

Wasn't the largest population after kunark? I thought I remember them hitting the 1 million sub mark somewhere in velious-PoP

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

xZAOx posted:

Why do I get this ominous feeling we're going to be quoting this post at you in like 2-3 months :(

Why'd you have to say that? :(

There are zone expansion files for the next one already on our hard drives, it's going to be EoK part 2. Daybreak isn't going to immediately just cut off their krono blood money cow. Once expansions stop getting released, and patches stop getting made, we can worry about the game being put on life support and eventually having the plug pulled.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Sooooo xZAOx, your buddy in BDA that appears to box 6-8 people and kill M'shas in Qvic has a real neat strategy for dealing with people contesting. And by neat strategy, I mean grabbing half the zone and training it on himself to make sure that if he can't get it, no one can!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hahaha, yeah, Nutbar has been trying to get some M'shas. He's not very good at it. I told him it's DPS races, but he's losing them, so now he's doing...who knows what.

Also I left BDA today.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Hoohah posted:

Sooooo xZAOx, your buddy in BDA that appears to box 6-8 people and kill M'shas in Qvic has a real neat strategy for dealing with people contesting. And by neat strategy, I mean grabbing half the zone and training it on himself to make sure that if he can't get it, no one can!

Saw him train at least 2 other guilds as well in the last 24 hours. Guess its only a matter of when he gets banned as it won't be long at this rate.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MF_James posted:

Wasn't the largest population after kunark? I thought I remember them hitting the 1 million sub mark somewhere in velious-PoP
Nah, according to Sony, EQ peaked at 430k subs in January 2004.

I personally started playing in July 2000, and drat the game was bustlin' with activity. It remained at least as active until mid-2002 where I quit due to starting university.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
430k sounds about right, for some reason I thought 300,000 was the peak number.

I seem to recall my server being decently populated until the end of PoP or so. Most of my friends quit during OoW but I think WoW was out at that point.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

wow I thought they had over 1million subs at one point, maybe it was the 100k mark that they boasted about then, not 1 mil.

Really, part of their issue was releasing LoY, LDoN and GoD all in a row which were poorly received expansions overall. LoY was all low level stuff and was mediocre at best, LDoN was fun but you quickly got bored of doing the same dungeons and the raids didn't bring much to the table, and then GoD ostracized most of the population and shat on hardcore raiders. If only people had stuck it out to OoW, that was a loving good expansion, I liked DoN, DoD and PoR as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MF_James posted:

wow I thought they had over 1million subs at one point, maybe it was the 100k mark that they boasted about then, not 1 mil.

Really, part of their issue was releasing LoY, LDoN and GoD all in a row which were poorly received expansions overall. LoY was all low level stuff and was mediocre at best, LDoN was fun but you quickly got bored of doing the same dungeons and the raids didn't bring much to the table, and then GoD ostracized most of the population and shat on hardcore raiders. If only people had stuck it out to OoW, that was a loving good expansion, I liked DoN, DoD and PoR as well.

I think the 100k mark was hit during Velious, Smed did a gamewide server message celebrating it.