Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

I lived in San Francisco for 3 years and hated it + all of the stupid restaurants in that awful city.

If you have money falling out of your rear end and don't mind massively overpaying for middling quality at best (or being exorbitantly overcharged for good to excellent food) by all means, enjoy San Francisco.

predicto posted:

Being the pedantic dickweed that I am, I couldn't let this go.

New Orleans is a great food town, but San Francisco is better and has far and away the most restaurants per capita in the US.

Just because a city that is located in one of the richest regions of the planet happens to have a high number of restaurants because its population has gently caress you money and rarely ever eats at home doesn't mean that those restaurants are actually good, though.

WhyteRyce posted:

You can get $13 avocado toast from a highly rated on Yelp breakfast place that has like a 25 minute wait at 8am on Sunday. Check mate New Orleans :colbert:

Or a $15 burrito from a taco truck that features free range chicken!!!!

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The food scene in San Francisco is loving trash. One of the most overrated culinary cities in America

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

its no salisbury, md thats for sure

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

The food scene in San Francisco is loving trash. One of the most overrated culinary cities in America

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I heard a guy on the radio today talking about why he had dumb views when he was young:

"The sense of superiority was its own reward."

Just leaving that here.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

There are some bomb rear end old school restaurants in SF like the Golden Mirror for Italian food out in the Sunset where you can still get really great quality food at reasonable prices but so many of the hipster joints are just absurd.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 1, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My sole visit to SF was a lot of fun but I don't remember a single meal. I can usually remember what I ate when I go places.

Philadelphia was actually the winner for "places I've gone and had the most good meals." Like just everything was good, and even me, fast food baby, only went to one chain in like a week (some 24 hour place that is kind of like a hipster Dennys, but not, I only know it was a chain because I've heard people talk about it before, but the name is escaping me now).

Blake Griffin is cool.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 1, 2017

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

You guys have trash opinions of the SF food scene. It can simultaneously be overpriced and very good. There is some incredible cooking being done on all ends of the spectrum - no you won't get a $5 beans and rice or whatever bayou poo poo you can get in New Orleans but not every meal is gonna set you back $100.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

You guys have trash opinions of the SF food scene. It can simultaneously be overpriced and very good. There is some incredible cooking being done on all ends of the spectrum - no you won't get a $5 beans and rice or whatever bayou poo poo you can get in New Orleans but not every meal is gonna set you back $100.

Sure, there are things about it that can be good. The ethnic food scene in SF is strong- I think it's easily one of the best in the country in that there's access to a huge variety of different cuisines from around the world.

But if you're trying to do a date night and have pretty good food inside of a restaurant, you're wrong. It'll cost $125+ every time.

gently caress, I remember about 5-6 years ago going to a Latin joint down on Chestnut called Mamacita's on a date. I just looked it up and it's closed now but it was very good. Not great, just very good.

Super trendy, could barely hear the chick I was with speak. Fish tacos for both, guacamole, ceviche and a few drinks and I was set back drat near $125 after tax and tip.

The problem is that a ton of restaurants in the city are trying to one up all the others and reinventing the wheel using new ingredients or different ways of doing things, rather than just picking one good thing and sticking to it.

It can't just be a burger from quality cuts of beef with clean, fresh condiments, it has to be an oxtail burger with a Niman ranch free range ham slice and a cage free egg with handpicked free trade avocados and an organic roasted garlic aoili for $25. And because there's a $25 burger on the menu, the plain one has to be $18, because we can't have a massive discrepancy.

The point is that living in the SF bubble and talking amongst SF people telling you how great SF food is can have the reinforcing effect of making you believe it's the best restaurant/cuisine place in the country.

This isn't an accurate opinion.

I'd say that once you venture out of SF and into some other areas in the bay you're a lot better off. But inside the SF cesspool it's so over the top :(

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 1, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I just went to San Francisco and thought it was very cool and nice. The food was good. I mighy end up having to move there if I get this one job I'm going after.

I lived in New Orleans and the food was also good. But the authentic creole restaurants are also expensive, SF prices even!

Chicago is the best city foodwise IMO. And bar wise. It's my favorite city on America and I might move back in a few months if I don't get the job in SF.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

https://infogram.com/U-S--Cities-with-the-most-restaurants-per-capita?src=web

juneau alaska is actually the best restaurant city in america guys. Forget about new orleans lmao, im down for some goddang sarah palin eats

Damning evidence against "san fran"

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rick posted:

Philadelphia was actually the winner for "places I've gone and had the most good meals." Like just everything was good, and even me, fast food baby, only went to one chain in like a week (some 24 hour place that is kind of like a hipster Dennys, but not, I only know it was a chain because I've heard people talk about it before, but the name is escaping me now).

For me, New Orleans is #1A, but it doesn't have the diversity of Philly. Which is fine because I don't live there, so I can eat the thickest soul foodiest New Orleans delights for the three or four days a year I'll go there and leave pre-diabetic and happy. But I might get tired of that if I lived there.

Philly is #1B and I live here. I think the reason the food is good everywhere is because it's not a transplant city and so many people work in the food industry. Like you can walk into any random bodega or deli and it's probably bomb, and the people there have probably either worked there for 30 years or used to work with so-and-so at some restaurant and learned how to make perfect hoagies or something. Plus the diversity is on point. You can get anything. I don't want to hear it NYC. I don't want to hear it. Just shush.

I don't know of a 24 hour diner Philly that's a chain though. Hipster Dennys...closest thing to a that would be Sabrinas or Honeys? Or maybe it was Silk City or Mugshots? I want all of those right now, gently caress.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hrrm hrrm hrrm good points but consider this: im a literal loving child and have 2 think my city is the best at everything and need to correct you here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Turns out the best city is *MY CITY* and the worst city is *CITY WITH SPORTS TEAM I HATE*

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

I went to San Francisco a couple years ago and had a great meal at this one restaurant. I took a picture of the place, I loved it so much

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

predicto posted:

New Orleans is a great food town, but San Francisco is better and has far and away the most restaurants per capita in the US.

To its credit, New Orleans is No. 1 in bars per capita, with SF clocking in at No. 8.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/trends/eating-towns-drinking-towns/

You do realize that pretty much everywhere != everywhere and lol at this insecure San Fran take

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Turns out the best city is *MY CITY* and the worst city is *CITY WITH SPORTS TEAM I HATE*

Chicago is the best and worst city. Checks out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

To be fair, even people from Green Bay think the city is pretty trash.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I had loving great food in San Fran when I went, but I am also super happy I wasn't paying for my meals.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Chicago is the best city foodwise IMO. And bar wise. It's my favorite city on America and I might move back in a few months if I don't get the job in SF.

Chicago's food scene is fantastic, but if you lived downtown be advised the chicago experience is hugely different living outside downtown vs inside.

Twin Cities has a few things they do really, really well but overall the food scene is not very good. Probably some of the best burgers and Vietnamese Phu in the US though. Sort of a weird mix.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Trendy rear end in a top hat goes to trendy restaurant in trendy neighborhood, complains about how loving trendy it is.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

I had loving great food in San Fran when I went, but I am also super happy I wasn't paying for my meals.

Chicago's food scene is fantastic, but if you lived downtown be advised the chicago experience is hugely different living outside downtown vs inside.

Twin Cities has a few things they do really, really well but overall the food scene is not very good. Probably some of the best burgers and Vietnamese Phu in the US though. Sort of a weird mix.

There is some reallllllly good food in MSP because of the immigration history.

The best food city that no one ever talks about is Providence, RI.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento is Farm To Fork capital of the US so we have the best food. That burger you are eating came from a cow that lived right outside your hotel

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

August 1 and nothing but food chat.

August is tough on us NBA fans.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eat at Geno's

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Not an argument for "better" or "worse", but every time it's stated that one can't get authentic Mexican food wherever it is they are leaves me with a weird, empty feeling for anyone in that situation.

I know people enjoy poking fun at people in the South, but if that's the trade-off, so be it.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

its no salisbury, md thats for sure

At least its got the Perdue plant

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

No thanks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
From Reddit, but breaking down the post play discussion. An important note here is the average PPP from non-transition. This is pretty important, as post-plays themselves come after a transition bucket opportunity is gone. You can't reset your offense and run a fast-break. I dunno where he got the number, but it looks about 0.95 which "feels" right.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I will go to the mat to defend Providence as having an incredible restaurant scene. Small city with several culinary schools and many graduates just stay on and open up a restaurant.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
gently caress all this food nonsense. Find like 3 places you like to eat out and just go there. Catch me at Ole Ole, Jam on Hawthorne, or Cubo de Cuba and nowhere else. They're all within a mile and a half of my house and I'm getting out between $4 and $12.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I will go to the mat to defend Providence as having an incredible restaurant scene. Small city with several culinary schools and many graduates just stay on and open up a restaurant.

For years Providence was quietly the biggest Mafia city in the U.S. outside of NYC so some of the best Italian restaurants in the world are located there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheKevman posted:

It can't just be a burger from quality cuts of beef with clean, fresh condiments, it has to be an oxtail burger with a Niman ranch free range ham slice and a cage free egg with handpicked free trade avocados and an organic roasted garlic aoili for $25. And because there's a $25 burger on the menu, the plain one has to be $18, because we can't have a massive discrepancy.

This is flat out not true, by the way, and I can recommend plenty of good date restaurants with a delicious $12 burger if anyone is coming to SF. Social Kitchen, 6th and B, and Chow, just to name a few places within walking distance of me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

MY CITY is garbage

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento is Farm To Fork capital of the US so we have the best food. That burger you are eating came from a cow that lived right outside your hotel

I just moved back and Kevin Johnson punched a cow in the face so hard a steak fell out straight onto the sidewalk baking in the 110-degree heat and it cooked right there.

It was amazing.

Edit: also lol at trying to compare SF's food scene to New Orleans.

Sharparoni posted:

I went to San Francisco a couple years ago and had a great meal at this one restaurant. I took a picture of the place, I loved it so much

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 1, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My city's pretty good except for the no NBA teams or teams of pretty much any sport I follow.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I live 40 miles from the nearest city. My village sucks and owns, much like Chicago.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ScooterMcTiny posted:

A good gumbo in NOLA is better than any soup made in SF.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

predicto posted:

To its credit, New Orleans is No. 1 in bars per capita, with SF clocking in at No. 8.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/trends/eating-towns-drinking-towns/

Hahah calm down Kanye

My City is the My Girlfriend of the NBA thread

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

From Reddit, but breaking down the post play discussion. An important note here is the average PPP from non-transition. This is pretty important, as post-plays themselves come after a transition bucket opportunity is gone. You can't reset your offense and run a fast-break. I dunno where he got the number, but it looks about 0.95 which "feels" right.

What your saying is Evan Turner should post up a LOT more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

San Francisco is cool to visit and has good food but I'd rather die than live around those people

• Locked thread