Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only reason it got a second season in the first place was that they renewed it after the first episode aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why don't they rerun the other shows they have?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

:iiam:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Probably don't pull numbers as well as TTG? :shrug:

Actually at least for Adventure Time, I think they don't run it as much after it became more serialized instead of episodic. Easier to sit down and roll the dice hoping for a new TTG than to get stuck on a cliffhanger watching AT/Steven Universe.

Man, remember when Adventure Time was the hot poo poo? I seem to recall it got way overplayed too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When they played Adventure Time I think it was usually the first season almost exclusively as well.

I watched most of Avatar in one go in a three-day marathon Nick had, the show lends itself to that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Somewhere along the way, the network that started out rerunning 30-year old Hanna-Barbera cartoons decided that they would never reair a show once it's ended or been cancelled.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'm going to be heartbroken if the new PPG ends before Blossom finally gets together with that one writer's self insert.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Probably don't pull numbers as well as TTG? :shrug:

Actually at least for Adventure Time, I think they don't run it as much after it became more serialized instead of episodic. Easier to sit down and roll the dice hoping for a new TTG than to get stuck on a cliffhanger watching AT/Steven Universe.

Man, remember when Adventure Time was the hot poo poo? I seem to recall it got way overplayed too.

Regular Show seems fairly episodic, even if they don't touch some of the earlier episodes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

There's an app for that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On a lighter note, S1 of Miraculous is up on Netflix UK complete with every European Language besides German, so that's neat.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
OK KO is a good show. I am happy.

Also if I had any guess why they don't have any plan now is because they don't. All of their potential future shows they thought were going to do good or last failed. Wabbit, Nu Power Puff, Meatball, Nu Ben 10, Infinity Train(they actually aired it?!),Be Cool Scooby Doo. They. Have. Nothing. From. Any. Of. These. It's absolutely pathetic, but they have gently caress all to show for their batch of 2016-2017 ideas for the most part.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 1, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's a good boy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have to wonder how many popular shows Cartoon Network actually has to have at a time to be successful.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

After watching Raven's Home (which is good in that it makes no bones about being REALLY sitcommy---it's like a self-aware Fuller House) my girlfriend turned me on to Girl Meets World. It's cheesy as gently caress but teaches some really good lessons for its demographic. (What the hell does Matthews teach, anyway?)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

wuggles posted:

What the hell does Matthews teach, anyway?

Co-dependence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rand Brittain posted:

I have to wonder how many popular shows Cartoon Network actually has to have at a time to be successful.

I assume approximately 3-4 is the minimum, which CN actually has right now(Adventure Time, Gumball, Steven Universe, and TTGO), the problem is that CN only gives two of them consistent air time, and they don't even give their ongoing B tier shows much in the way of slots either, not to mention their back catalog doesn't see much use as well(when they should be used to diversify the schedule as much as possible)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Like they could easily just recreate Cartoon Planet again and give an hour or two just I dunno, Courage or even very old HB material. Nothing is stopping them from using shows they own already except the executives that say so.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

wuggles posted:

After watching Raven's Home (which is good in that it makes no bones about being REALLY sitcommy---it's like a self-aware Fuller House) my girlfriend turned me on to Girl Meets World. It's cheesy as gently caress but teaches some really good lessons for its demographic. (What the hell does Matthews teach, anyway?)

He's a history teacher, like Feeny.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

On a lighter note, S1 of Miraculous is up on Netflix UK complete with every European Language besides German, so that's neat.

I'm only seeing it in English, do I have to do something to get the other languages to show up?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm only seeing it in English, do I have to do something to get the other languages to show up?

Pull up the progress bar and there should be a button to pull up the languages menu.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Pull up the progress bar and there should be a button to pull up the languages menu.

Yeah, the option wasn't there, but then I went and change my account language to French and back and the option is there now, so yay.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Crabtree posted:

OK KO is a good show. I am happy.

Also if I had any guess why they don't have any plan now is because they don't. All of their potential future shows they thought were going to do good or last failed. Wabbit, Nu Power Puff, Meatball, Nu Ben 10, Infinity Train(they actually aired it?!),Be Cool Scooby Doo. They. Have. Nothing. From. Any. Of. These. It's absolutely pathetic, but they have gently caress all to show for their batch of 2016-2017 ideas for the most part.

I think Infinity Train simply isn't at the point yet where it can be a full show. Like, if they somehow fasttracked it into being greenlit, then the first season is likely still being storyboarded/scripted.

That said, I agree with your mayor point: 2016 was a dud of a slate. Everything WB pushed was pretty mediocre, most other things just failed and some got too many eps ordered too quickly, thus making their continuation drag. 2017's slate feels smaller and it's only just about to begin. 2016 was supposed to be the year in which their mainstays 'tagged out' to the new poo poo, and instead it just feels like Regular Show left a hole in programming.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is why I'm hoping OK KO catches on. The network needs a new hit and it needs it quick.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

This is why I'm hoping OK KO catches on. The network needs a new hit and it needs it quick.

I'm 90% sure it will. It's legitimately good poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Really I blame Steven Universe for all the poor scheduling these days. Because that's the first place I think "bomb" format programming originated (or at least, the first place I saw it). It's fun and all to see a whole bunch of your favorite show at once, but when it means there's nothing to air in the gaps, it leaves a hole that only short episodic content like TTG (or Spongebob or whatever) can fill. Adding to this problem is how a lot of the more serialized shows now explicitly plot longer episodes to go with the bomb formats (the Gravity Falls finale, the recent SvtFOE premiere, like every time Steven Universe airs these days), it really makes a mess of trying to split those to make some sort of program block. And hell, personally, I have no problems with cliffhangers in shows. I remember BACK IN MY DAY :corsair: the 90s waiting for a new episode of DBZ could take months, but at least you could watch reruns reliably (and stay on Namek forrrevverrr).

At some point, Cartoon Network and other networks (I see you Disney) just decided that they don't like reruns and they'd rather fill whole days with reruns of episodic shows than have a constant schedule featuring reruns of serialized shows, fearing cliffhangers, I suppose.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

readingatwork posted:

I'm 90% sure it will. It's legitimately good poo poo.

Oh yeah, it's great. And it's coming from The House That Steven Universe Built, so you've got a potential fanbase built in.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TwoPair posted:

Really I blame Steven Universe for all the poor scheduling these days. Because that's the first place I think "bomb" format programming originated (or at least, the first place I saw it).

Actually there were a few bombs in 2014, prior to the first steven bomb from early 2015 (the 2nd latest total drama show was premiered over the course of 2 weeks during the summer, over the garden wall premiered over the course of a week shortly after halloween, there was an adventure time bomb thanksgiving week, and a joint Uncle Grandpa/Clarence bomb at the start of december)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I remember the first TTG! bomb and how the tumblr that posted it just had to take down the post because of shitfans complaining that TTG was "stealing Steven Universe's thing" when, as ayshkerbundy says, the bomb format was already pretty established in other shows prior.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/892853236440326145

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Actually there were a few bombs in 2014, prior to the first steven bomb from early 2015 (the 2nd latest total drama show was premiered over the course of 2 weeks during the summer, over the garden wall premiered over the course of a week shortly after halloween, there was an adventure time bomb thanksgiving week, and a joint Uncle Grandpa/Clarence bomb at the start of december)
We used to call those SPECIAL EVENTS or Miniseries'.

Really though a Miniseries was a self-contained thing, like Storm of the Century or NBC's MERLYN. The Power Rangers/X-Men season premieres were back to back over two days and that wasnt no X-Power BOMB but just good old appointment television I tell you what.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

Somewhere along the way, the network that started out rerunning 30-year old Hanna-Barbera cartoons decided that they would never reair a show once it's ended or been cancelled.
It must have been recently, because they were playing episodes of Chowder and Flapjack for a little bit after both shows finished their runs. As it stands now, Cartoon Network hasn't aired a single episode of Regular Show since it ended in January.

It's startling how quickly the well went dry for Cartoon Network, when it was the place for fresh new faces in animation to get their start with completely new shows not long ago. Adventure Time and Regular Show got the ball rolling, and stuff like Steven Universe, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, We Bare Bears, and others followed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

It must have been recently, because they were playing episodes of Chowder and Flapjack for a little bit after both shows finished their runs. As it stands now, Cartoon Network hasn't aired a single episode of Regular Show since it ended in January.

It's startling how quickly the well went dry for Cartoon Network, when it was the place for fresh new faces in animation to get their start with completely new shows not long ago. Adventure Time and Regular Show got the ball rolling, and stuff like Steven Universe, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, We Bare Bears, and others followed.

I mean, it kind of still is, it's just that they definitely don't give those fresh faces much time to start anymore. It's a real sink-or-swim world these days.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crabtree posted:

Like they could easily just recreate Cartoon Planet again and give an hour or two just I dunno, Courage or even very old HB material. Nothing is stopping them from using shows they own already except the executives that say so.

but Zorak is dead :(

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I remember the first TTG! bomb and how the tumblr that posted it just had to take down the post because of shitfans complaining that TTG was "stealing Steven Universe's thing" when, as ayshkerbundy says, the bomb format was already pretty established in other shows prior.

As much as they air TTG now, it's less a "bomb" and more a "nuclear arsenal".

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 3, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

raditts posted:

As much as they air TTG now, it's less a "bomb" and more a "nuclear arsenal".

The CN CEO looks at the schedule for the week pushed live through his binoculars, hundreds of kilotons of TTG pouring out of it onto the television, "We are all now sons of batman" he mutters.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

but Zorak is dead :(

We can still have pictures of Zorak and Moltar on the wall while Tom helps out. But we still have Brak AKA Andy Merrill.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Barudak posted:

The CN CEO looks at the schedule for the week pushed live through his binoculars, hundreds of kilotons of TTG pouring out of it onto the television, "We are all now sons of batman" he mutters.
The Cartoon Network director is a woman, proving that horrible executive decisions aren't the sole purview of men.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When's the last time they actually made new TTG episodes? I don't remember CN doing any serious promotion for "new TTG" lately, it's just reruns as far as the eye can see.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're airing a new special 4 part event this week.

And they regularly air new episodes on Fridays.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the old thread I made got archived, so I'm posting about it here

new season of Voltron should be hitting Netflix later tonight/this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

the old thread I made got archived, so I'm posting about it here

new season of Voltron should be hitting Netflix later tonight/this morning.

I actually went looking for it to drop the news too.

I'm ready for Keith to finally take his rightful place.