Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Dinnered with a three person squad because my buddy was able to hug the cliffs on the north of the map and clean house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I managed to murder an entire squad with a pump shotgun because they were bad, I think I'm having some lag luck just charging right into the middle of squads firing like a mad man and watching them freak the gently caress out getting a kill or two before they kill me. That squad though was really bad and I got every single one. It was probably my favorite PUBG moments. Then I killed myself with a grenade because the rest of my squad was already dead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I managed to murder an entire squad with a pump shotgun because they were bad, I think I'm having some lag luck just charging right into the middle of squads firing like a mad man and watching them freak the gently caress out getting a kill or two before they kill me. That squad though was really bad and I got every single one. It was probably my favorite PUBG moments. Then I killed myself with a grenade because the rest of my squad was already dead.

Sometimes I get startled because everything is just so loving loud. Like, I have my headphones turned way up because footsteps, but drat a grenade going off even a couple houses a way is going to make me jump. My #1 cause of death right now is getting startled so badly by a gunshot that I forget to look for and take cover.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

abigserve posted:

If you're playing squads you should be singing out if you need anything and otherwise not calling out loot for sure. Stuff that's extra like gun mods or extra ammo, just pick it up and when you have some downtime announce it (like in a car or when running somewhere) then distribute it.

Another video of this week's shenanigans, very short video because I tried to get all the highlights that weren't flicadowriss 360degreenoscope plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IYCQQIN1w

See you guys are playing it right. Just have fun man.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

DrNutt posted:

Sometimes I get startled because everything is just so loving loud. Like, I have my headphones turned way up because footsteps, but drat a grenade going off even a couple houses a way is going to make me jump. My #1 cause of death right now is getting startled so badly by a gunshot that I forget to look for and take cover.

If I were a streamer, I would give people motion sickness just from how much I flail about upon a bullet hitting me.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Gazaar posted:

I wish things like them getting and using the Phantom Pain maps could ever work.

Just add in a few more incidental poo poo villages here and there and bang.

100 man BR in the phantom pain engine would be just about the best thing ever

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sighting in at some guy using a cheek pad SKS with a 2x scope, not even 100m away. Aim at head, press shift, push button. Whiff.

Guy turns and in less than a second I was headshotted.

I'm not sure how in the poo poo I missed the first shot but that kind of loss is incredibly frustrating. I'm not great at this game, but I not anywhere near the top ten shame list either. :smith:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Loving the stats reset. Managed to chicken dinner twice in squads with another #2 duo placement.

Funny part is my friend that whiffed all his shots on the last guy in the duo died within 10 min of the dinner rounds and we dragged his corpse to victory. Haha guess we found the weak link in the squad.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Sighting in at some guy using a cheek pad SKS with a 2x scope, not even 100m away. Aim at head, press shift, push button. Whiff.

I'm not sure how in the poo poo I missed the first shot but that kind of loss is incredibly frustrating. I'm not great at this game, but I not anywhere near the top ten shame list either. :smith:

DrNutt posted:

Honestly, just practice. Shooting in this game is kind of different than most fps. It took me a little time to get used to pubg gun mechanics coming from csgo. It's been said a million times, but just drop hot zones and learn.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there something hosed with the combo of 2x + kar? i can hit shots with any gun/scope combo except that one

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Verviticus posted:

is there something hosed with the combo of 2x + kar? i can hit shots with any gun/scope combo except that one

No, it works fine. Just not a really good combo since a k98 is only good if you headshot.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Taffer posted:

I think the stats are broken. I played 5 duos last night and go 1-5 kills in all of them, and the tracker says I only played 4 and only got 1 kill combined

Same. Got two kills one game and it didn't give me credit for either. Can't tell if it uses different criteria for kill credit than the game. Also, with all games being unranked for a bit, I think the stats weren't getting updated on the trackers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
4th monthly patch notes here - http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1451700696565067398

Highlight, hotpants:

Car horns:

quote:

You may now honk a car horn when sitting in the driver's seat with Left Mouse Click

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Taffer posted:

I think the stats are broken. I played 5 duos last night and go 1-5 kills in all of them, and the tracker says I only played 4 and only got 1 kill combined.

ILL Machina posted:

Same. Got two kills one game and it didn't give me credit for either. Can't tell if it uses different criteria for kill credit than the game. Also, with all games being unranked for a bit, I think the stats weren't getting updated on the trackers.

They turned off stat tracking yesterday around 7:00 PM PST and switched all games to Unranked mode. They turned everything back on today at 7:00 PST with the stats reset for Season 3. You either played games during Season 2 and are now looking at Season 3 stats, or you played a game after the cutoff that was Unranked.

Edit: Ooh, dusters can now be dropped from Survivor crates. I wonder how high their prices will go on the Steam Marketplace in the first 24 hours of the patch.

Ooh, and a re-connect option!

And they did away with the stupid Pump-Action reload pump!

And they made Medkits/Adrenaline Syringes more reasonable!

Any idea what the 'lower rail attachment' to the SKS will do?

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 1, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

DrNutt posted:

This could be unrelated but I think there's something that isn't mentioned too frequently ITT, due to the parabolic trajectory of the bullet if you're zeroed to say 100m there's a range where the bullet will actually overshoot the target until it drops back and intersects with the zeroing plane. Here's an illustration from GIS:

So, when you try to take someone's head off below 100m it is better to aim for their chin rather than to the top of their head.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This could be unrelated but I think there's something that isn't mentioned too frequently ITT, due to the parabolic trajectory of the bullet if you're zeroed to say 100m there's a range where the bullet will actually overshoot the target until it drops back and intersects with the zeroing plane. Here's an illustration from GIS:

So, when you try to take someone's head off below 100m it is better to aim for their chin rather than to the top of their head.

nah 100m zero would be the first zero in that pic, so under 100m is pretty much accurate the whole way with maybe an inch of undershooting, it's only when they're at like 150m and you're zeroed at 100m that it can overshoot, by enough to whiff well aimed headshots

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
also, speak of the devil

quote:

Players may now re-enter games if they have been disconnected mid-game

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

quote:

Added 1st Person server options to NA and EU Solo and Duo game-modes

Oh hell yes

quote:

Added slight delay when using the drag-and-drop feature on items in inventory UI. We implemented this delay to provide a fair gameplay environment to all players

Ehhh I figured it was coming but hopefully it's not too rough of an adjustment

quote:

Added new sound effect while scoping or aiming weapon

Please let it be a fart noise

quote:

Added new option to display helmet, vest, and backpack equipped on HUD UI. This HUD UI will be updated further in the future
[quote]

Would be cool to have icons for squadmates as well

[quote]

Can't decide if it's that one or the car horn I'm most excited about.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Zo posted:

nah 100m zero would be the first zero in that pic, so under 100m is pretty much accurate the whole way with maybe an inch of undershooting, it's only when they're at like 150m and you're zeroed at 100m that it can overshoot, by enough to whiff well aimed headshots

100m zero point is the second in that image, not the first; bullet has to go up to arc into the zero point downrange.

Given that arc is representative of 100m, your aim was in the 40-60m range, I'd guess. That small bump would fly over just enough to whiff the shot.

fletcher posted:

Ehhh I figured it was coming but hopefully it's not too rough of an adjustment

After seeing pro-level item shuffling, and the mid-run pickup, it's definitely going to throw off high level players familiar with their stride that they might not pick up an item, like the drat gun. Still, good players are going to adjust faster than poor players will learn, so there's nothing lost after a week at most.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mistle posted:

100m zero point is the second in that image, not the first; bullet has to go up to arc into the zero point downrange.

Given that arc is representative of 100m, your aim was in the 40-60m range, I'd guess. That small bump would fly over just enough to whiff the shot.

nope, given the muzzle velocity of rifles, the bullet doesn't have nearly enough time to arc and fall back down within 100m. you're not throwing a football here.

the bullet goes upward and crosses your crosshairs at 100m, at which point it keeps going up a little then falls down again

this is mostly because air drag is not in the game yet, so bullets have far less drop than they should. even with air drag though, a bullet will just about hit the peak of its arc at 100m. so no your bullet will never go above your sights prior to hitting a 100m zero.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Yo I need that purple blazer and those purple pants so I can be a pimp.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Zo posted:

nope, given the muzzle velocity of rifles, the bullet doesn't have nearly enough time to arc and fall back down within 100m. you're not throwing a football here.

the bullet goes upward and crosses your crosshairs at 100m, at which point it keeps going up a little then falls down again

this is mostly because air drag is not in the game yet, so bullets have far less drop than they should. even with air drag though, a bullet will just about hit the peak of its arc at 100m. so no your bullet will never go above your sights prior to hitting a 100m zero.

I don't know which aspects are modeled in PUBG and which aren't but every single object within the earth's gravitational field travels in a parabolic trajectory, I don't know what you mean by "given the muzzle velocity of rifles the bullet doesn't have nearly enough time to arc and fall back down" given that that's the reason why sights have two zeroing points irl.

Let's assume a bullet travels at 1000m\s just for the sake of the calculations, it will travel 100m @ 0.1s, assuming it is fired at a flat trajectory (the vertical component of its velocity is zero) it will drop 5 cm at that time period. And this is purely due the mechanics of freefall, without air resistance or anything else, so that's roughly what, 2 inchs over 100m? Now bullets are actually slower than 1000 m/s so, idk.

But really, this whole depends on the way the sights are modeled in game, I don't know if it's a 25/100m sight or a 100/500m sight or whatever. I assumed it was 25/100 cause that's how poo poo was modeled in ARMA.

Though I do not wish to argue about this any further because pretty soon I'll be asked to show my KDR.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know which aspects are modeled in PUBG and which aren't but every single object within the earth's gravitational field travels in a parabolic trajectory, I don't know what you mean by "given the muzzle velocity of rifles the bullet doesn't have nearly enough time to arc and fall back down" given that that's the reason why sights have two zeroing points irl.

Let's assume a bullet travels at 1000m\s just for the sake of the calculations, it will travel 100m @ 0.1s, assuming it is fired at a flat trajectory (the vertical component of its velocity is zero) it will drop 5 cm at that time period. And this is purely due the mechanics of freefall, without air resistance or anything else, so that's roughly what, 2 inchs over 100m? Now bullets are actually slower than 1000 m/s so, idk.

But really, this whole depends on the way the sights are modeled in game, I don't know if it's a 25/100m sight or a 100/500m sight or whatever. I assumed it was 25/100 cause that's how poo poo was modeled in ARMA.

Though I do not wish to argue about this any further because pretty soon I'll be asked to show my KDR.
of course it's parabolic, I'm just saying the bullet travels too fast and falls too little in game right now for 100m to be the second point on the arc. rather, it's the first point on the arc.

this is not really an argument, but anyway here's a handy chart from the same site as earlier

since bullet drop in pubg is unrealistically low for now, imagine the 100 yard arc as being even higher, so that it goes above the line of sight past 100 yards, that's the current pubg model

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
A zeroing range of 100m kind of is an oddball duck that exists primarily in older weapons and video games. Most modern rifles I've handled start at like 200 or 300 and most pistol-caliber weapons at 50. M16-style sights start at a baseline 300 yard (A yard is basically a meter so don't worry too much about the terminology) zero which is also good for 25 yards, next notch up is 50/200, then 400, 500, and 600 when you crank the elevator screw all the way around. That said, the difference between zeroing for 25/300 and 50/200 is about an inch vertically one way or the other at the first zero mark.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Looking forward to continuing my survivor barbie dress-up with skirts and the blue high tops.

Also the lower rail attachment on the SKS.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The big changes from what I can see:

quote:

Added new animation when using different consumables
Decreased the reload time of VSS
Added slight delay when using the drag-and-drop feature on items in inventory UI. We implemented this delay to provide a fair gameplay environment to all players
Sound volume difference from inside and outside of building is more obvious
Improved camera transition when disabling Free look feature (Alt Key)
You may now honk a car horn when sitting in the driver's seat with Left Mouse Click
Reduced cast time of First Aid Kit / Painkiller to 6 seconds
Reduced cast time of Med Kit / Adrenaline Syringe to 8 seconds

Eliminated firing delay of S1897 from pump action after reload
Fixed an issue of weapons sporadically ceasing to fire despite being set to auto firing mode
Characters farther than 500m away from a vehicle will no longer hear the tire screech sound
Fixed the probability of getting rainy weather to previous value
Fixed a bug where a character could not equip attachment with full inventory
Added a lower rail attachment slot to SKS
Decreased the chance of vehicle explosion after the vehicle gets stuck in objects

I really hope the lower rail for sniper rifles/SKS is a bipod attachment (or a grip or something) cause the SKS sorta blows.
The quicker medkits/FAKs will make the endgame more interesting.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

:siren:You may now honk a car horn when sitting in the driver's seat with Left Mouse Click:siren:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think I don't like the reduction in the healing item usage times; healing items are already super powerful and many times you'd hit someone a couple of times only for them to slink behind a tree, heal up and repeat the cycle.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

There isn't a thing changed in that patch that I disagree with. Except maybe that they fixed the vehicle physics. It's going to cut down on the pubg vehicle hilarious videos I watch.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think I don't like the reduction in the healing item usage times; healing items are already super powerful and many times you'd hit someone a couple of times only for them to slink behind a tree, heal up and repeat the cycle.

I think it makes sense for the Med Kit and Adrenaline Syringe, since they're supposed to be rare, good items. Before this patch, I'd MUCH rather have 2 energy drinks than an Adrenaline Syringe (that can only be obtained from a supply crate).

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I feel like the Adrenaline Syringe could be something used by a teammate on another teammate who has been downed for an instant revive.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The syringe is still not worth it. It still takes only ~1 second less to use than a painkiller + energy drink and takes up more inventory space than the other combination (20 vs 10+4), which all in all makes it pretty much never worth it to risk the longer cast time over the guarantee of at least having some energy when having to cancel the channel after either ~3 or 7.5 (now 6) seconds. There are so many better ways to buff it to have it live up to its rarity.

The med kit buff is neat though, as are the rest of the patch notes.

E: ^^^^ I think that would make it way too strong, even if it is very rare. Downing someone can be hard enough as it is, doing so should always be rewarded with either a kill or forced 'downtime' on the downed player's teammate(s)'s part. It's not as bad a suggestion as some of the ones I've seen on reddit (buffing it to be a self-revive or even making it come dead teammates come to life) but I do think it's too strong. I'd like to see it either staying the same with a cast time of, say, 5 seconds, or making it a stack of 5 that all give 20% energy and require a 1.5-2 second cast each, or keep the long cast time but make it so that your energy level stays at 100% until the first time you get shot or something.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 1, 2017

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Can't wait to announce impending doom from the horn of a jeep as I go flying over a cliff and on to someone's head

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I see a lot of talk about what guns do in real life or what they think they do. Do we have actual info from game testing? Where the gun fires from and what we see seems to be radically different.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
How is first person

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

quote:

:siren: You may now honk a car horn when sitting in the driver's seat with Left Mouse Click :siren:
Patch of the year

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Guys don't forget to screw over your teammates and yourself by telling them you can honk the horn even if you're not the driver by looking at the dashboard and hitting LMB.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Too bad we don't have a lock/unlock door button.

*click*
"Okay, guys, I'm done fooling around you can get back in the car now."
"Great, here we-"
*click*
"Oh, you just missed it. Too bad."

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Party Plane Jones posted:

The big changes from what I can see:

I really hope the lower rail for sniper rifles/SKS is a bipod attachment (or a grip or something) cause the SKS sorta blows.
The quicker medkits/FAKs will make the endgame more interesting.

It's almost assuredly going to mean you can add a grip to the gun, which should actually still be a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

this season started out great for me. first game I crashed within 5 minutes, second game was my first ever red zone death, and third was a top 10 with no kills. lol what a poo poo night

• Locked thread