Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

screaden posted:

The Last of Us? It's 90 percent people spouting exposition at you and finding ladders/planks, and the rest is combat sections that are far enough apart that it's mostly story

My partner isn't particularly into killing people other people, unfortunately. Zombies and the like are fine, as is the tone (Tales From The Borderlands wasn't exactly graphic...), but actively gunning down groups of people makes him uncomfortable. Until Dawn had just enough of a slasher vibe and wasn't progressed through you murdering everyone for their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yes I'm well aware using that as an example of something being "unfortunate" says more about me than anything else. :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hmmm yeah I think I did have it active but having to have it active is a bit dumb.

I'll try it again, thanks!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

My partner isn't particularly into killing people other people, unfortunately. Zombies and the like are fine, as is the tone (Tales From The Borderlands wasn't exactly graphic...), but actively gunning down groups of people makes him uncomfortable. Until Dawn had just enough of a slasher vibe and wasn't progressed through you murdering everyone for their stuff.

Ah ok, what about the remasted lucasarts adventure games then? Broken Age? If you don't let yourself get too bogged down in the puzzle solving by just going to a walkthrough once you get frustrated, it might help with making it more movie-like.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The wifi on my PS4 Pro is literally unusable. It can just barely manage to sign in to PSN, nevermind loading feeds or my friend list.

I've tried everything. Reserved IP, port forwarding, changing the security type and channel on my router, loving everything. No other device I use has problems with my wifi, but the PS4 just won't work with it. What is going on?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, just as a side-note: that New England gaming/movie/music/books chain I mentioned that does a lot of business around here (in the Portland, ME area which is only 2 hours north of Boston) named bullmoose? I was there again to pick up something else, and asked about the pricing on their new/used PS4 Pros, and sure enough.... $399 new, and $249 used, which includes power cable/controller/controller cable/HDMI connector but usually does not come in the original box

Still, that's a drat low price, and their website bullmoose.com even confirms it. They tend to be fairly coy about how they sell their consoles online, and don't actually make the links public or easily accessible at all essentially because their goal is to be a local business and give awesome deals to people who live within the community, which is one of the reasons why their promises sometimes offer deep discounts like that.

But I'm just saying that if you HAPPEN to live in Northern New England (in which case if you're reading this you know all about Bullmoose) then you should know they're selling PS4 Pros for obscenely low prices right now but I've really no idea how long. According to them they generally come in go over the course of a day when they show up, so yeah

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

man nurse posted:

The wifi on my PS4 Pro is literally unusable. It can just barely manage to sign in to PSN, nevermind loading feeds or my friend list.

I've tried everything. Reserved IP, port forwarding, changing the security type and channel on my router, loving everything. No other device I use has problems with my wifi, but the PS4 just won't work with it. What is going on?

The PS4 wifi is poo poo. It's much much better on the Slim and Pro.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

screaden posted:

Ah ok, what about the remasted lucasarts adventure games then? Broken Age? If you don't let yourself get too bogged down in the puzzle solving by just going to a walkthrough once you get frustrated, it might help with making it more movie-like.

Hadn't considered the Lucas Arts games, actually! :downs:

Cheers for the suggestions, guys.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of them, the Full Throttle remaster isn't very good. Game doesn't hold up well at all, especially compared to the Day of the Tentacle remaster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played it for the first time when the remaster came out and was v disappointed after years of people telling me it was one of the best, DotT and Grim Fandango are way better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hmmm yeah I think I did have it active but having to have it active is a bit dumb.

I'll try it again, thanks!

You shouldn't sweat the tutorials, they only give a little XP and they're not even necessary for 100%ing the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hey I found the plot online:

"You will face many unique, despair-inducing monsters. Survival means accepting you will die, learning from death and overcoming the ultimate challenge to reclaim your soul.The demons who rule this world gain their extraordinary power from the King’s Crowns. To retrieve the King’s Crowns and reach the flame of the world, you will have to face the White King Gwen and his knights, the witch Izarith and her evil daughters, the first dead, Nit, and the immortal and nameless shadow dwarves.

When you begin this adventure, you are soulless. You must emerge from the abyss to reclaim your soul in order to reach the land of the living. Make social connections, win games, find eggs and solve riddles—and increase your soul energy until you get your entire spiritual essence back. The gauge at the bottom of your dashboard numerically measures the amount of soul energy you have earned. Check your gauge each day to keep track of how much soul energy you have. Do your best to get your numbers high enough so you can say once and for all: Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!"

quote:

The game Stories: Path of Destinies was pretty good with that - they had a bevy of different attacks that were useful, but not required, against certain enemies. But there weren't so many attacks that it became confusing, nor did you need to remember a ton of combinations. Too bad the entire game was built around a lot of repetition (and some unskippable sequences, which became unbearable the 20th time around)

Stories really surprised me with how much it didn't suck.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anyone have an issue with stuff like user profiles and the store failing to load here and there? i feel like it's a 50/50 shot of it working for me and if it doesn't i just have to hit back and reselect to try again.

i'd guess it was a wifi issue but it happens worse too.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Life is Strange should fit your criteria too if you haven't tried that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

The PS4 wifi is poo poo. It's much much better on the Slim and Pro.

I am using a Pro though :(

ufarn
May 30, 2009

baram. posted:

anyone have an issue with stuff like user profiles and the store failing to load here and there? i feel like it's a 50/50 shot of it working for me and if it doesn't i just have to hit back and reselect to try again.

I mean, the store is pretty awful, so I wouldn't bet the farm on that being the problem.

One of the official unofficial tips to using PSN is to do everything in the Store through the mobile apps that seem to have a different front- or back-end.

Sort of the same for when you have to preorder a new Apple product.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

baram. posted:

It's been a bigger problem for people since the last firmware update. I just log out and back in and it's fixed it every time.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

man nurse posted:

I am using a Pro though :(
How close is your PS4 Pro to your router? Believe it or not, many wifi devices have an issue if they're too close to the router.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My launch ps4 has always had great wifi.

But now is screams when playing Horizon, I just opened it all up and cleaned every speck of dust too. Still loud. Stay strong old girl. ps5's a comin'

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yes games that are graphically intense will make your ps4 loud. I'd be more alarmed if the fans never kicked on.

My pro isn't very loud though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

man nurse posted:

I've been doing tons of research and unless you're using a very expensive router that's very close to the PS4 the wifi will always be poo poo, and in that case you might as well just wire it in. Only solution I've found is getting a newer PS4.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wireless still poo poo on the Pro.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wired connections uber alles

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey if I want to make a horrible life choice and buy a Sword Art Online game, is there one that has a decent translation? Or are they all as bad as Hollow Fragment on the Vita?

If they're all the same, translation wise, which one is considered the best? Or least bad?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Annath posted:

Hey if I want to make a horrible life choice and buy a Sword Art Online game, is there one that has a decent translation? Or are they all as bad as Hollow Fragment on the Vita?

If they're all the same, translation wise, which one is considered the best? Or least bad?

play any of the .hack games.

apparently hollow realization is the least bad of them though. its also the only one developed for the ps4 as the lead platform apparently.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Speaking of .hack, Bandai Namco just announced the HD remaster collection ".hack//G.U. Last Recode" is going to have an all-new fourth game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

That series could barely justify its third game, how on earth are they going to shoehorn in a fourth?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Annath posted:

The rest have better translations but Hollow Fragment is the closest to being a good game. The PS4 translation is better that the Vita one at least.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

King of Solomon posted:

That series could barely justify its third game, how on earth are they going to shoehorn in a fourth?

Is this going to scratch my itch? I never played any of the .hack games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

On the suspect of Wi-Fi being poo poo, check your wifi channel. There are apps for phones/tablets that tell you wich channel has less connections around. That's only an issue if you live in a flat and the whole neighbourhood is full of different Wi-Fi connections.

But still, wired all the way. It's better to have a 50 meter lan cable than 8m wifi through a single brick wall loving the signal.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So uh Midnight Club might be coming back.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Annath posted:

Is this going to scratch my itch? I never played any of the .hack games.

If your itch is bad games, go ahead.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What's the difference between SWO: Hollow Fragment and SWO: Hollow Realization, other than the latter being $40 more expensive?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Annath posted:

What's the difference between SWO: Hollow Fragment and SWO: Hollow Realization, other than the latter being $40 more expensive?

Different stories, they get more polished every game, Hollow Fragment was a remake of the JP first game, then Lost Song, then Hollow Realization.
If you can get Re: Hollow Fragment for cheap it's worth picking it up to see if you even like the gameplay.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Do those Asian characters in the logo just mean "Midnight Club" , too or what do they say?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

broooo hunting robosaurs is a lot more fun than I expected

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I'm in!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

broooo hunting robosaurs is a lot more fun than I expected

You just get HZD??

I got it on Sunday. Love it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Why did they add Super Star Wars but not Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi???

Super Star Wars is good and all but Super RotJ is really rad.