Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

You'll notice after a minute the final product will develop a visual gradient toward a transparent oily meniscus on the top. this is almost pure caffeine and means you did good.

I learned something today. Apparently coffee beans contain oils that will preferentially dissolve caffeine, so by letting them separate you're essentially performing an extraction. I wonder how much caffeine would be left in the bulk solution if you took off the organic layer. Could you decaffeinate your own coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

duz posted:

Fun way to solve that broken credit card reader, just walk away. It'll suddenly start working since if they calls the cops, the cop's going not going to side with the cab.
I've also had cab drivers just let me walk away. I assume in those cases are either the reader is actually broken or they'd rather just pick up another fare than quibble over the proper way to pay for a $10 ride (this is in a relatively dense city).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They were all pushed by incumbent restaurants.

Restaurant employees are not required to have a mandatory food safety course or criminal background check.
Restaurants are not legally required to accept debit and credit
Restaurants are allowed to have booths at parks
Restaurants can sell oreos or bags of chips.

Forcing food trucks to buy cans instead of fountain, park far away, have to pay fees for all their employees, and accept credit cards were all just ways to increase costs that the restaurants went to after they failed to ban them outright.

Do you have a source for all of this? Because some of these I can't find in the regs, others you cite continue to have valid interests in mind. Most of the press coverage I'm seeing on this isn't...exactly neutral. Megan McArdle taking a side on something is usually a pretty good indication the other side is correct. I'm willing to buy that some of these regulations may just be obstacles put in place by brick-and-mortar, but a lot of them...aren't. They just aren't. They're the same kind of regulations you'd apply to a food truck anywhere.

axeil posted:

But now Uber/Lyft stole all their business so gently caress 'em. I'll never be stranded on U Street at 4 AM unable to hail down a cab to go home without the credit card reader being "broken" and being forced to bribe the guy $40 for what should've been a $15 ride again!

Uber/Lyft, especially Uber, are infinitely worse than taxis. The benefits you experience personally are ephemeral, or at a massive cost to others. See the unicorns thread for details.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 1, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

Megan McArdle taking a side on something is usually a pretty good indication the other side is correct.
This is an indisputable fact.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about you, but the $5 UberPOOLs around Las Vegas are pretty fuckin' sweet. Part of the Vegas experience is having human desperation all around you and by taking an UberPOOL, you can get that experience in spades, especially when a fellow passenger starts talking to you

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How hosed is Wayfair? Anyone know?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Uber/Lyft, especially Uber, are infinitely worse than taxis. The benefits you experience personally are ephemeral, or at a massive cost to others. See the unicorns thread for details.

I'm no great Uber booster but many many taxi services were monopolies of their own and absolutely abysmal. Whatever else you feel about capitalism, competition is generally good for the consumer and that is absolutely the case here.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm in DC and there were basically no useable car services in the suburbs until Lyft and Uber competed with the corrupt monopolies here. I think you are overstating your case, Vox.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Check the tech bubble thread for fun details on how Uber is an awful, awful company, and its drivers are mostly desperate people basically trading their car's value for money to keep the lights on, and treated horribly by the company.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I read both of these threads. I still think the case is much more complicated in entrenched monopolistic markets than simply "infinitely worse" and "the benefits to you are ephemeral." (Paraphrasing Vox bc I'm on the phone) I'm happy to leave discussion in those threads though.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 1, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WrenP-Complete posted:

I read both of these threads. I still think the case is much more complicated in entrenched monopolistic markets than simply "the benefits to you are ephemeral." (Paraphrasing Vox bc I'm on the phone) I'm happy to leave discussion in those threads though.

Apparently the benefit of being able to get a car if you're black or disabled is ephemeral. Huh.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
uber is good for consumers, but (mostly) terrible for its drivers. The old taxi company monopolies were (mostly) good for their drivers, but terrible for consumers.

Theres probably a healthy middleground somewhere in-between those two scenarios that doesn't screw anyone too badly that we might find in the future, with a bit of luck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

call to action posted:

Apparently the benefit of being able to get a car if you're black or disabled is ephemeral. Huh.

Uber doesn't have a good track record with the disabled, though actually giving service to minorities is a plus.

The problem is more going between two extremes; an underbuilt monopoly that refuses to expand to meet demand, and a dubious, exploitative jitney system.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Most taxis were good for the taxi company owners. I have met a couple Uber drivers who vastly prefer working for Uber and Lyft.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Inescapable Duck posted:

Check the tech bubble thread for fun details on how Uber is an awful, awful company, and its drivers are mostly desperate people basically trading their car's value for money to keep the lights on, and treated horribly by the company.

And the cabbies are worse

Uber/Lyft would not exist if cab companies were not the worst corps in the world

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Uber/Lyft would not exist if cab companies were not the worst corps in the world

This is ludicrous nonsense on like 7 different levels.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The only time I need a taxi/Uber is when I go to the airport, because gently caress paying for airport parking. A taxi costs like $60 and a Uber costs like $15. I know which one I'm going to pick 10/10 times.

Insert Sonic_no_ethical_consumption_under_late_stage_capitalism.jpg here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's a great series of wonky articles by a former Dept. of Transportation executive on how Uber is not profitable, has no route to profitability, and is just borne aloft by venture capital. So enjoy it while it lasts.

(Long story short: most of the cost of operating a cab company is vehicles, fuel, and wages, and there's little or no economy of scale when you have 30,000 cabs instead of 30.)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just do a search on NYTimes for 'taxi medallion' to see how terrible the situation was. The drivers were getting shafted ('Mr. Arce, 55, offered his daily math: He drove 12 hours and earned $85. The taxi union folded years ago. He has no health insurance, no paid days off. “I can’t even pay the rent on my lousy studio.”'), rich jerks hoarded medallions (worth at one point $1.2 mil each) in an extreme example of rent-seeking and then launched lawsuits when the value fell. (Some ridiculous quotes in that article, BTW.) (This guy ended up being arrested for stealing $5 mil from the city.) One could go on and on, it was a system designed to profit the owners of the medallions and nobody else.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you have to take a taxi to get to your local airport you have an absolutely failed local transport system.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

If you have to take a taxi to get to your local airport you have an absolutely failed local transport system.

Welcome to anywhere in America outside of the 10 major cities.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

In most of the USA, that is by design.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Halloween Jack posted:

(Long story short: most of the cost of operating a cab company is vehicles, fuel, and wages, and there's little or no economy of scale when you have 30,000 cabs instead of 30.)
I think you'll see some impressive economies of scale/cost reductions once we have self-driving electric taxis; at a minimum you'll get no more driver wages and greatly reduced fuel costs relative to now. That's obviously still a number of years out though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Uber is a hilarious model because it is a huge wealth redistribution scheme.

They take money from Venture Capitalists and use it to subsidized the wages of drivers and the transportation of individuals.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

WrenP-Complete posted:

I read both of these threads. I still think the case is much more complicated in entrenched monopolistic markets than simply "infinitely worse" and "the benefits to you are ephemeral." (Paraphrasing Vox bc I'm on the phone) I'm happy to leave discussion in those threads though.

Discendo Vox has a ton of dumb opinions. I remember in one thread he claimed that academic publishing companies need to charge high fees to labs and universities because it is expensive for them to host .PDFs on a website and have volunteers do all their work for them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Nah. Taxis are scum and I'm glad they're getting driven to extinction. I read the unicorn thread and the :qq: about the poor little scam artist taxis is pathetic. I'm pretty sure everyone talking about how taxis are ubiquitous and awesome all either live in NYC or have never seen a taxi in their life. DC was a loving hellhole for getting around by anything other than Metro until around 2011 when Uber showed up and the taxis finally had to start doing things like "taking people where they want to go" and "not scamming people all the time"

Uber/Lyft aren't great but taxis are so much worse and I despise them. They dug their own graves by being absolute shitheads and placing bribes to the city council and loving over riders above actually delivering the service they promised.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If Uber died off and a more "ethical" service came along that paid its drivers a fair wage and obeyed regulations and rides now cost $25 instead of $15, I'd be totally fine with that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

Er, but Uber doesn't own or pay for vehicles or fuel, and their wages are minimal. Uber has 0 cabs.

Uber has no route to profitability because their entire "business model" is providing large subsidies to customer fares to try to keep mindshare, and a bunch of advertising, which costs them billions a year in losses. If they were to stop doing all those subsidies though and also raise driver pay to an appropriate amount, people would have very little reason to keep using Uber specifically.

Cicero posted:

I think you'll see some impressive economies of scale/cost reductions once we have self-driving electric taxis; at a minimum you'll get no more driver wages and greatly reduced fuel costs relative to now. That's obviously still a number of years out though.

Uh, Uber becoming a company that has self-driving electric taxis means Uber now has to pay for all the charging costs, all the cost of acquiring cars, and all the ongoing maintenance/cleaning/general repairs incurred. Doing that thus raises their costs massively compared to now, where the drivers are fulyl responsible for buying, owning, and maintaining the vehicles.

Mozi posted:

Just do a search on NYTimes for 'taxi medallion' to see how terrible the situation was. The drivers were getting shafted ('Mr. Arce, 55, offered his daily math: He drove 12 hours and earned $85. The taxi union folded years ago. He has no health insurance, no paid days off. “I can’t even pay the rent on my lousy studio.”'), rich jerks hoarded medallions (worth at one point $1.2 mil each) in an extreme example of rent-seeking and then launched lawsuits when the value fell. (Some ridiculous quotes in that article, BTW.) (This guy ended up being arrested for stealing $5 mil from the city.) One could go on and on, it was a system designed to profit the owners of the medallions and nobody else.

New York City medallions are only for cabs that pick up random people hailing them on the street. To operate a service where you just picked up people who called or otherwise contacted you (like say, what an Uber driver does), you instead needed a far cheaper commercial driver registration.

Additionally the million dollar medallions were for certain special categories like unlimited transfer and allowed to be held by a company and used by multiple different drivers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

axeil posted:

Nah. Taxis are scum and I'm glad they're getting driven to extinction. I read the unicorn thread and the :qq: about the poor little scam artist taxis is pathetic. I'm pretty sure everyone talking about how taxis are ubiquitous and awesome all either live in NYC or have never seen a taxi in their life. DC was a loving hellhole for getting around by anything other than Metro until around 2011 when Uber showed up and the taxis finally had to start doing things like "taking people where they want to go" and "not scamming people all the time"

Uber/Lyft aren't great but taxis are so much worse and I despise them. They dug their own graves by being absolute shitheads and placing bribes to the city council and loving over riders above actually delivering the service they promised.

:capitalism:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

If Uber died off and a more "ethical" service came along that paid its drivers a fair wage and obeyed regulations and rides now cost $25 instead of $15, I'd be totally fine with that.

Assuming they actually take people where they want to go and don't scam people then i'm onboard too.

Seriously, people defending cabs itt have no loving clue how bad taxis can get and how even an admittedly lovely, evil company is more preferable to them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

fishmech posted:

Uh, Uber becoming a company that has self-driving electric taxis means Uber now has to pay for all the charging costs, all the cost of acquiring cars, and all the ongoing maintenance/cleaning/general repairs incurred. Doing that thus raises their costs massively compared to now, where the drivers are fulyl responsible for buying, owning, and maintaining the vehicles.
Sure, but it also means they capture all the revenue from fares. Looking at the system as a whole, costs are reduced. Now whether it'll be cheaper to the consumer than right now, where VCs are subsidizing things, I dunno. Actual costs then will be cheaper than actual costs now though.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

I don't know about you, but the $5 UberPOOLs around Las Vegas are pretty fuckin' sweet. Part of the Vegas experience is having human desperation all around you and by taking an UberPOOL, you can get that experience in spades, especially when a fellow passenger starts talking to you

I want to hear more about this.

As for food trucks:

The bar to entry for small businesses should be easier not harder. Small Businesses are one of the few ways left to actually grow the middle class. You take them away you got nothing but large corporations controlling everything.

There has been a designated and planned shift in us law and policies of both parties and cities to destroy small businesses in america and replace them with large faceless corporations. And many leftists have played into this hand and foot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Luggage is terrible on buses though and even in the best train systems you sometimes have to do some ridiculous transfers to get to the airports. For example I live in Saint Paul and to get to the airport it's a 15 minute drive or a 60 minute train ride. And I can expense the cost of either so that's not a big deal.

Chicago is really good at least, as is SFO if you're trying to get into downtown SF.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 1, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cicero posted:

Sure, but it also means they capture all the revenue from fares. Looking at the system as a whole, costs are reduced. Now whether it'll be cheaper to the consumer than right now, where VCs are subsidizing things, I dunno. Actual costs then will be cheaper than actual costs now though.

Do you really not understand why it might be a huge problem to actually make up the costs of buying brand new massively expensive highest-tech cars with taxi fares? And once again no! The actual costs Uber has then would have to be more exepnsive than they have now. Because Uber's actual costs now do not include "purchasing and maintaining a fleet of tens of thousands of cars". They do not pay for any of their drivers' cars right now except through the minimal wages.

There are currently 150,000 active Uber drivers in the US or so. We can assume most of those also represent individual cars, but let's say Uber aims to just buy 90,000 cars to replace them. Let's also assume they get reasonably inexpensive electric cars from a few years from now, which are also self-driving, a fair price for that might be the $35,000 of the current (non-self-driving) base model Chevy Bolt and Tesla Model 3.

How much do you need to pay just to buy 90,000 of those? $3.15 billion dollars. That's not including all the ongoing charging or maintenance costs for vehicles being used by the random general public. Even if we go bare minimum, and just assume that the near-future self driving electric car can be sold for the same price as the cheapest base model car of today (Nissan Versa S at $12,855) - that's still $1.15 billion dollars just to have a fleet near suitable for replacing their current service.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

fishmech posted:

Do you really not understand why it might be a huge problem to actually make up the costs of buying brand new massively expensive highest-tech cars with taxi fares? And once again no! The actual costs Uber has then would have to be more exepnsive than they have now. Because Uber's actual costs now do not include "purchasing and maintaining a fleet of tens of thousands of cars". They do not pay for any of their drivers' cars right now except through the minimal wages.
Did you miss the part where I said "Looking at the system as a whole, costs are reduced." Yes, obviously Uber itself would have higher costs than now, but this would be offset by capturing more of (well, all of) the fare. My point is that, if you had, say, a vertically integrated taxi company in 2017 vs in the future where self-driving electric taxis exists, costs would definitely be lower in the latter time.

quote:

There are currently 150,000 active Uber drivers in the US or so. We can assume most of those also represent individual cars, but let's say Uber aims to just buy 90,000 cars to replace them. Let's also assume they get reasonably inexpensive electric cars from a few years from now, which are also self-driving, a fair price for that might be the $35,000 of the current (non-self-driving) base model Chevy Bolt and Tesla Model 3.

How much do you need to pay just to buy 90,000 of those? $3.15 billion dollars. That's not including all the ongoing charging or maintenance costs for vehicles being used by the random general public. Even if we go bare minimum, and just assume that the near-future self driving electric car can be sold for the same price as the cheapest base model car of today (Nissan Versa S at $12,855) - that's still $1.15 billion dollars just to have a fleet near suitable for replacing their current service.
Who cares? I don't give a poo poo if it's Uber in particular. Maybe one of the companies actually making self-driving cars will do it instead. Or maybe a rental car company, since they already have experience managing large fleets of cars.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 1, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Inescapable Duck posted:

In most of the USA, that is by design.

In Seattle, the taxi lobby (STITA) made drat sure that the light rail only got you most of the way to the terminal. Seriously, it drops off like a half mile from the loving airport it's ludicrous.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cicero posted:

Did you miss the part where I said "Looking at the system as a whole, costs are reduced." Yes, obviously Uber itself would have higher costs than now, but this would be offset by capturing more of (well, all of) the fare. My point is that, if you had, say, a vertically integrated taxi company in 2017 vs in the future where self-driving electric taxis exists, costs would definitely be lower in the latter time.

Who cares? I don't give a poo poo if it's Uber in particular. Maybe one of the companies actually making self-driving cars will do it instead. Or maybe a rental car company, since they already have experience managing large fleets of cars.

No, looking at the system as a whole, costs are not reduced. Capturing all of a low fare does not make up for billions of dollars in investment required to reach that point, especially since by definition a self-driving electric car fleet is much more expensive than existing, non-self-driving, gasoline cars already in use, which can be had in usable condition for sometimes as little as a few thousand dollars.

The whole point, dear, is that it's actually massively, massively expensive to run a national level, let alone international like Uber tries to do. No one can really afford to spend billions of dollars setting up and running a self-driving car fleet just to make it up $10 at a time from taxi fares.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The fuel savings alone would pay for the vehicles, especially if gas is above $3/gal. Electric vehicles are dramatically cheaper to operate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

call to action posted:

The fuel savings alone would pay for the vehicles, especially if gas is above $3/gal. Electric vehicles are dramatically cheaper to operate.

I don't think you're actually going to "save on fuel" when you currently pay 0 dollars for fuel and you have to buy billions of dollars of cars to try save said fuel costs. Uber pays $0 for gas, they would now be paying greater than $0 for electricity.

This is like trying to save money on boat maintenance by buying a yacht reputed to have low maintenance when you currently have no boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

LOL Enjoy getting your suitcases robbed on the bus while heading to the airport on your trip to france and missing the flight meaning you lose out not only on the thousands of dollars of stuff in your suitcases but also the thousands of dollars you spent on booking hotels/flights/etc...

Lol some of you guys are nuts. Taking public mass transportation to a loving airport....