Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I combine the two - I pronounce it Hydro City, but say the middle two syllables together to make it obviously one word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've been saying hydro city as two words. Blame early 90's me for this.

I think the important point we're all glossing over is lmao If you've ever said it out loud.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've been saying hydro city as two words. Blame early 90's me for this.

I think the important point we're all glossing over is lmao If you've ever said it out loud.

Every night before I go to bed I look in a mirror and recite in order all of the classic sonic zones.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Welcome to the month of Sonic fellow maniacs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Evil Eagle posted:

Welcome to the month of Sonic fellow maniacs

Super stoked. And also worried/hopeful that the switch version runs well :ohdear:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hydrocity (ハイドロ市 haidoro-shi)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hydrocity is also a pun on velocity, the concept the entire franchise is built around.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

reminds me of one of the spike pits in Sonic 1, if you had input the debug code you'll just infinitely bounce back and forth on the spikes because S1's mercy invulnerability doesn't apply to spikes.

UM ACTUALLY that's only present in the 1.0 release of the game...if you're on one of the later versions (easiest way to tell is if the clouds are moving in green hill zone) then you're safe from this ill fate :)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think REV01 was even an official version. The spike bug is in most officially released versions of the game

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The Japanese version of Sonic 1 is an official version, as a matter of fact.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

For whatever reason I always remember hearing that that version was handled by a different team, but I can't find anything about that being true right now. Still, the spike bug in almost every rerelease of Sonic 1

edit: this is what I remember reading about the spike bug

http://info.sonicretro.org/Spike_damage_behavior

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 1, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One thing I always thought was interesting was Mega Man 1 has something going on slightly similar- invincibility frames after taking damage don't protect you from being one-shotted by spikes but you are safe from that happening in every game after that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

beep by grandpa posted:

UM ACTUALLY that's only present in the 1.0 release of the game...if you're on one of the later versions (easiest way to tell is if the clouds are moving in green hill zone) then you're safe from this ill fate :)

It happens in the Sonic 1/Sonic 2/Mean Bean Machine 3 pack so i'm pretty sure that's not the case.
e: yup

quote:

However, it is worth noting that the only official revision of the game that ever changed the behavior of the spikes, in Sonic Mega Collection, was released more than a decade later.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hydrocity is also a pun on velocity, the concept the entire franchise is built around.

Not intentionally. The game was made by a bunch of Japanese guys with a tenuous grasp of English. The Japanese spelling/pronunciation backs me up.
They even cleared it up by adding a space between the words in Generations.

I just bought sonic shoes online, don't mess with me

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Not intentionally. The game was made by a bunch of Japanese guys with a tenuous grasp of English. The Japanese spelling/pronunciation backs me up.

A pun not intended is still a pun.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

No other zone names are puns in S3K though?

Also in Japanese if you wanted it to sound like that it'd be written as ハイドロッシティ "Haidorosshiti," but it's not. It's ハイドロシティ which is "hydro city"

Also also it's listed as "Hydro City" in Generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPYcZoARLQ&t=84s

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really don't care how you pronounce it, all I care about is it's a really awesome level with amazing music where you go so fast you literally run on water like a lizard or Jesus

God just listen to this music it's so sick man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDYXjwNpqI&t=160s

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So what I'm getting is that you people want to be a joyless world devoid of puns. Got it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eee-droh city. :smug:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i wish i were playing sonic mania

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xad posted:

No other zone names are puns in S3K though?
So? That doesn't preclude Hydrocity from being a pun, intended or not.

Besides, the Japanese loving love wordplay. It's pretty funny they did it in another language, completely by accident.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Forget the pronunciation, we are probably getting 2 Tee Lopes mixes of the Hydrocity Zone tracks. Can't wait to hear them

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i wish i were playing sonic mania

literally same

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope it's a good game.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

Forget the pronunciation, we are probably getting 2 Tee Lopes mixes of the Hydrocity Zone tracks. Can't wait to hear them

:hai:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I still regularly listen to Walk On Water.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Overbite posted:

I hope it's a good game.

It'll be okay. Maybe a bit underwhelming. It'll be a good deal to buy for five bucks in a few months.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

watertown

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still regularly listen to Walk On Water.

:yeah:

Finally something we agree on: Walk On Water is extremely good.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am ready to gather the chaos emeralds once again.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm hoping that the super transformation just speeds up the level music and also requires a button combo to activate it.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Hydrocity like velocity, thread.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I dunno I liked it having its own, long unique theme like in sonic 2. That's like my one criticism of s3&k.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guys I have fooled you all, I actually hate sonic and this whole time I've been undercover working to destroy the fanbase from within.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Well, whatever they do, I hope Tails gets a super form too. I know the Super Emeralds aren't returning in Mania but Tails needs some love

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Guys I have fooled you all, I actually hate sonic and this whole time I've been undercover working to destroy the fanbase from within.

Well if that's your goal, you don't have to worry very hard to do that

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well if that's your goal, you don't have to worry very hard to do that

You can say a lot about the sonic fanbase, but you cannot say it is anywhere near dead.:c00lbert:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Congrats on your 15th year at sonic team!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

You can say a lot about the sonic fanbase, but you cannot say it is anywhere near dead.:c00lbert:

True, true.

You can't wreck what is possibly the weirdest and most hosed up fandom ever.

Although I dunno, maybe recent things like my little pony have knocked Sonic off the #1 spot but sanic was the king of Internet weirdo passions for many many years. Some of the MLP stuff makes sonic fans look tame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

You can't wreck what is possibly the weirdest and most hosed up fandom ever.

The Sonic fandom isn't even in the top twenty.