Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

That was such an exciting time to be a NIN fan. Year Zero, the whole ARG playing out, then just a year later we got Ghosts and The Slip. It seemed like every few months NIN was the top trending topic on Digg (remember Digg? Remember his interview with Kevin Rose?).

I've been wondering too - has Trent parted ways with Rob Sheridan? He was such an integral part of NIN's presence (heh) for such a long time but I don't think he's been involved at all since before Hesitation Marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

polyester concept posted:

(remember Digg? Remember his interview with Kevin Rose?).

Holy poo poo, wow, I had completely forgotten about this. That interview was great. I remember just eating all that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBxhxVIiwaA

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm with Trent in the pre-internet caveman days - I miss album art, liner notes, and the mystery of an artist. I couldn't go out and buy an armful of albums (or stream them) at the time, so you had to be more selective about what you got. Sometimes it was garbage, mostly it was okay, occasionally it was amazing. You'd listen to the same album over and over to catch the nuances of the music and lyrics - it seemed more an investment than it does now.

On the other side, music discovery is easier now, you can listen to basically anything, anywhere, any time you want. A lot of times that makes me feel a little overwhelmed - If I listen to artist X and the first few tracks don't catch me, and the same happens with the next artist I listen to, do I bother with the rest of the recommendations or not? I mean, I can go as deep as I want, but I can definitely see how us old bastards could be a little put off by the feast of tracks we can dive into whenever we want. Feels a little less personal, and like Trent mentioned, it seems music is more just something people listen to while they do other things.

Get off my lawn.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I've been wondering too - has Trent parted ways with Rob Sheridan? He was such an integral part of NIN's presence (heh) for such a long time but I don't think he's been involved at all since before Hesitation Marks.

He was a part of HTDA and their tour later in 2013 after Hesitation Marks was released.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm with Trent in the pre-internet caveman days - I miss album art, liner notes, and the mystery of an artist. I couldn't go out and buy an armful of albums (or stream them) at the time, so you had to be more selective about what you got. Sometimes it was garbage, mostly it was okay, occasionally it was amazing. You'd listen to the same album over and over to catch the nuances of the music and lyrics - it seemed more an investment than it does now.

On the other side, music discovery is easier now, you can listen to basically anything, anywhere, any time you want. A lot of times that makes me feel a little overwhelmed - If I listen to artist X and the first few tracks don't catch me, and the same happens with the next artist I listen to, do I bother with the rest of the recommendations or not? I mean, I can go as deep as I want, but I can definitely see how us old bastards could be a little put off by the feast of tracks we can dive into whenever we want. Feels a little less personal, and like Trent mentioned, it seems music is more just something people listen to while they do other things.

Get off my lawn.

I'm sort of halfway. I like all the liner notes and all that stuff but I'd generally look at it once when I got something new and then on the shelf it went forever and ever while the disc went into a gigantic CD changer, only to be removed to be put in the car.

The one thing I will agree with is the idea that music is now background noise more than anything, but for a different reason. It was next to impossible to listen to music while you were at the gym or whatever back in the CD days. Sure, you had all those terrible anti-skip gimmicks and all that, and I guess you could make a mix tape if you somehow still had a working walkman, but poo poo that was a pain. I loved minidiscs but that was because I was a tape (MD) trading nerd so that's really when music being "portable" took hold for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If I had bought the new Arcade Fire album on CD without ever hearing any of the tracks from it, I’d be feeling some serious buyer’s remorse.

Incidentally, I bought Arcade Fire’s Funeral on CD at Barnes & Noble soon after it released in 2004 without hearing any of the tracks from it first because I had heard great things about it and it ended up being one of my greatest music purchasing decisions ever.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

His twitter bio says "formerly of htda/nin" so yeah, looks like it. He mentions the break in this interview: http://warp.la/editoriales/from-the-mag-rob-sheridan-art-is-resistance-2

I don't think they fell out, I think Rob just burnt out and wanted to do something else by the looks of it. He mentions the Tension tour being difficult so I'm guessing that's what caused it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's definitely some "get off my lawn" in that interview, but overall I'm impressed by his humility. He feels a certain way about things, but he's also genuinely trying to understand why everyone else doesn't feel the same and if there's merit to the other side. And it's obviously not just talk, since he's been pretty generous about piracy and stuff despite not liking it in theory. (After a brief fit of rage in the early 2000s, of course)

Of course, that doesn't stop the interview from being mined for headlines like "Trent Reznor Doesn't Get Drake's Success, Calls Ashton Kutcher an rear end in a top hat'"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm with Trent in the pre-internet caveman days - I miss album art, liner notes, and the mystery of an artist. I couldn't go out and buy an armful of albums (or stream them) at the time, so you had to be more selective about what you got

The problem is if you want really nice album art, liner notes, packaging, and so on you generally need the backing of a label in order to get all that lined up, funded, and done. Which leads to a lot of other problems for the artist - in this case for example Trent has certainly spent a lot of his life dealing with the legal bullshit caused by labels. And as he points out in that 2009 interview, while the percentage of people who paid for Niggy Tardust was disappointingly low, Saul still made more from that release than he would have through a traditional label contract.

What's nice about the internet model is it's far easier for independent artists to get their work out there to wide audiences without that kind of support.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Earwicker posted:

The problem is if you want really nice album art, liner notes, packaging, and so on you generally need the backing of a label in order to get all that lined up, funded, and done. Which leads to a lot of other problems for the artist - in this case for example Trent has certainly spent a lot of his life dealing with the legal bullshit caused by labels. And as he points out in that 2009 interview, while the percentage of people who paid for Niggy Tardust was disappointingly low, Saul still made more from that release than he would have through a traditional label contract.

What's nice about the internet model is it's far easier for independent artists to get their work out there to wide audiences without that kind of support.

Oh, for sure on all counts. We're definitely not starving for new music in any sense. I think I just get a little analysis paralysis when it comes to finding new stuff.

Sir Lemming posted:

There's definitely some "get off my lawn" in that interview, but overall I'm impressed by his humility. He feels a certain way about things, but he's also genuinely trying to understand why everyone else doesn't feel the same and if there's merit to the other side. And it's obviously not just talk, since he's been pretty generous about piracy and stuff despite not liking it in theory. (After a brief fit of rage in the early 2000s, of course)

Of course, that doesn't stop the interview from being mined for headlines like "Trent Reznor Doesn't Get Drake's Success, Calls Ashton Kutcher an rear end in a top hat'"

I wasn't too surprised with his thought processes, as I think some of that comes with being an old fart - Trent is only 5 years older then me, and it seems like I more and more think outwardly about stuff as I age (which is fairly common, from what I understand). It's sort of fun to have aged along with him and watched him change, although again, I'm torn between having all the info there is out there about him vs. having him (or any other artist) a little more out of reach. I dunno. Old people stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial/photos/a.10150097171211221.314441.19787971220/10155413266346221/?type=3&theater

quote:

Nine Inch Nails will be a part of Panorama NYC's webcast.
Join us live if you can't be there at 9:40 est on Sunday
Note: broadcast access is limited to the US only - not our call.
http://smarturl.it/NINPanorama
So I guess this one will actually be broadcast as opposed to the FYF Fest one.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah seriously. Having everything I want to hear available at all times on a little computer in my pocket is a dream come true for a former kid who had literally hundreds of CDs spread across multiple CD binders. It saves me so much time and I’m still able to enjoy everything I want to hear.

This. Though having that ability also pretty much reduced all my albums into a giant collection of singles.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Earwicker posted:

The problem is if you want really nice album art, liner notes, packaging, and so on you generally need the backing of a label in order to get all that lined up, funded, and done.

I'm surprised that more people haven't tried to take advantage of the benefits of digital with these. Like Trent (and whoever that one artist from What.CD was The Flashbulb https://theflashbulb.bandcamp.com) did cover art for every song, which was cool, but nobody has tried to shake up liner notes. It's always a PDF in the style of a CD booklet or a giant poster designed to be printed out, which is a pain to look at on the computer.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 29, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm surprised that more people haven't tried to take advantage of the benefits of digital with these. Like Trent (and whoever that one artist from What.CD was) did cover art for every song, which was cool, but nobody has tried to shake up liner notes. It's always a PDF in the style of a CD booklet or a giant poster designed to be printed out, which is a pain to look at on the computer.

"So like... A companion app?"
- some out-of-touch musician

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

I haven't heard any of their albums all the way through but I always thought Tears For Fears was surprisingly good for an 80s pop band.
They really had a knack for song structure, or at least their producer did. Obviously they're the biggest hits everyone knows them from, but Head Over Heels and Shout are more or less perfectly produced songs.

On the other hand, I didn't have a lot of money to burn growing up. Blowing my allowance on a CD for that one radio hit I really liked and then finding out it's the only good song on the album, then getting $3 for it at a We Buy Used CDs store a month later was pretty disheartening and made me discover less music. I still appreciate music a lot and certain albums still really resonate with me, but I don't miss the crapshoot of the music market at all.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sticklefifer posted:

On the other hand, I didn't have a lot of money to burn growing up. Blowing my allowance on a CD for that one radio hit I really liked and then finding out it's the only good song on the album, then getting $3 for it at a We Buy Used CDs store a month later was pretty disheartening and made me discover less music. I still appreciate music a lot and certain albums still really resonate with me, but I don't miss the crapshoot of the music market at all.
I still get the crapshoot kick from used record stores. Find a CD by a band I'm vaguely aware of and see if I like it. Sometimes it doesn't work (I somehow have like five Sigur Ros albums despite not being overly enamored with any of them - really hit some kind of sunk cost fallacy there) but the times it does payoff makes it totally worth it (the latest "discovery" I made was Lamb). I mean, I could just browse around online and buy whatever, but there's a certain thrill in listening to an album for the first time when you haven't heard anything from it.

If I was paying $20 for each album I probably wouldn't be doing this, though. I remember trying real hard to find some kind of highlights out of a couple of blind-buy (deaf-buy?) CDs I got back in the 90s...

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Hahaha those sunglasses and gloves as he came out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Link to the livestream: https://www.yahoo.com/music/live-stream-panorama-nyc-festival-weekend-yahoo-music-171512639.html

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I guess they're back to playing Closer this tour!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gave Up, gently caress yes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh no, I Can't Give Everything Away cover again :cry:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, Great Destroyer :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaphone into a microphone, loving nice

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
That was pretty great. The Bowie tribute was really cool, and Great Destroyer is one of my all-time favorites.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there an archive of the stream anywhere?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

If I was paying $20 for each album I probably wouldn't be doing this, though. I remember trying real hard to find some kind of highlights out of a couple of blind-buy (deaf-buy?) CDs I got back in the 90s...

Funnily enough I got into Bauhaus this way when I was in high school. I had heard OF them because they were a major influence of a ton of the bands I listened to, and the only thing I could find online at the time was a 1:00 RealMedia clip of their cover of Spirit in the Sky, which is arguably one of their weaker tracks anyway. I decided there had to be something to it if everyone was talking about them though, so I just ended up buying their Best Of, as well as Joy Division's since they were another big influence on the bands I liked.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is there an archive of the stream anywhere?
There's clips here but not the full thing: https://www.yahoo.com/music/live-stream-panorama-nyc-festival-weekend-yahoo-music-171512639.html

I saw someone uploaded the full thing to YouTube like an hour ago and it already got removed for copyright infringement :shepface:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
poo poo, surprise show at Webster Hall tonight

presale code is LESSTHAN

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh cool, only $75 a ticket :fuckoff:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the code is expired now. Can't really afford it anyway but very tempting

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Anyone have a new code?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

dang did anybody get any

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

magiccarpet posted:

dang did anybody get any

Find out at stubhub.com

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Full concert is here (only in 440p) get this downloaded before it gets pulled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujihaeDpQ0

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Bang3r posted:

Full concert is here (only in 440p) get this downloaded before it gets pulled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujihaeDpQ0

Love how it starts with the quote and then that drum beat... though since its similar sounding it crossed my mind how funny it would have been if he opened with Everything.

Edit: The Gave Up chorus screaming parts needs more Trent :(

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 1, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

interesting they're going back to the analog tape strung all over everything look from their early days

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I thought they were streamers

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. I think everyone has had that, "This song is great" moment and then the album is a piece of crap. That always sucked - but I think I kept most of the great-single-but-lovely-albums. I agree it is nice to not have to blindly buy music that may or may not suck.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Oh yeah, definitely. I think everyone has had that, "This song is great" moment and then the album is a piece of crap. That always sucked - but I think I kept most of the great-single-but-lovely-albums. I agree it is nice to not have to blindly buy music that may or may not suck.

I bought an ugly kid joe album so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I bought an ugly kid joe album so yeah

I bought Fastball's first album

Actually that CD wasn't bad