Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AggressivelyStupid posted:

never forget how hard klays dad got shook

His dad manages to be the dumbest sports radio personality in a city where loving Petros Papadakis has a highly rated show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My city is the largest city in the US without a single pro sports team

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Spacebump posted:

A good gumbo in NOLA is better than any soup made in SF.

the real question is what does "bayou poo poo" mean and where did all these dogs come from

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Redgrendel2001 posted:

For years Providence was quietly the biggest Mafia city in the U.S. outside of NYC so some of the best Italian restaurants in the world are located there.

I just learned about this recently and it blows my mind. Of all places

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

sportsgenius86 posted:

San Francisco is cool to visit and has good food but I'd rather die than live around those people

:mad:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ghost Dog posted:

the real question is what does "bayou poo poo" mean and where did all these dogs come from

It just means someone hasn't had a great afternoon walking around NOLA with a po' boy and cold drink. Man I wish I still lived in New Orleans. That city owns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tysonbeckdesign/status/891491772710363136

Hmmmm

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

zoux posted:

Oo a trivia game. I'll play! Either:

Inland Empire (sorta technically two or ten cities, may therefore not count?)
Vegas (more like a prolonged ad campaign than a real place, possibly doesn't count)
Austin (but I didn't see you defending Local Culture just now, hmm)

I was thinking about Vegas getting a team yesterday when I was talking with a friend about why players in any sport aren't allowed to bet on themselves, especially fight sports and baseball, kinda coming to the conclusion that it was mostly an image thing, the major link between those two activities being the Mafia and leagues don't want that on them.

Do teams stay outta Vegas just for image management issues? Even the college basketball team ran into a betting scandal (that they might not've deserved)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's Austin and I hate the Local Culture

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

zoux posted:

It's Austin and I hate the Local Culture

Understandable since current local ATX culture murdered ATX's soul.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Oo a trivia game. I'll play! Either:

Inland Empire (sorta technically two or ten cities, may therefore not count?)
Vegas (more like a prolonged ad campaign than a real place, possibly doesn't count)
Austin (but I didn't see you defending Local Culture just now, hmm)

I was thinking about Vegas getting a team yesterday when I was talking with a friend about why players in any sport aren't allowed to bet on themselves, especially fight sports and baseball, kinda coming to the conclusion that it was mostly an image thing, the major link between those two activities being the Mafia and leagues don't want that on them.

Do teams stay outta Vegas just for image management issues? Even the college basketball team ran into a betting scandal (that they might not've deserved)

The Raiders are moving to Vegas (someday) and an NHL team was recently created for Vegas, the mob rules

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Understandable since current local ATX culture murdered ATX's soul.
Yeah it was cool when it was a slacker music town and not techbro city for SV transplants with way more money they they know what to do with. Our transportation system is designed for like, half of the current traffic load.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Inland Empire is everything that LA people hate about Sacramento but don't seem to realize it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I can't think of a single city I've been to that I didn't like. Cities own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tampa is horrendous .

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Papercut posted:

Look at this guy who hasn't been to Stockton or Bakersfield or Fresno

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Papercut posted:

Houston sucks

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Look at this guy who hasn't been to Stockton or Bakersfield or Fresno

I just define them down, those aren't cities! Those are towns! :D

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

zoux posted:

Houston sucks

And Dallas

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Papercut posted:

I went to Buffalo, NY once and never want to go back.

Not a fan of SF either but I don't really hate it. There was still redeeming qualities.

DC and Seattle are probably my favorite cities that I've stayed at.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/892413172539424768

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas and Houston are cool as long as you know what you're doing and don't do something like spend all your time outside the cities.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

zoux posted:

Yeah it was cool when it was a slacker music town and not techbro city for SV transplants with way more money they they know what to do with. Our transportation system is designed for like, half of the current traffic load.

Not paying state income tax rules. Paying 20-50% of the cost of rent in California rules. Texas rules.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

There's an Onion headline if I ever saw one. Jordan has both legs amputated on a bet, destroys LaVar Ball.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

Inland Empire is everything that LA people hate about Sacramento but don't seem to realize it.

No, I think most of LA hated the Inland Empire

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Libertine posted:

Not paying state income tax rules. Paying 20-50% of the cost of rent in California rules. Texas rules.

CA is better because it's more expensive AND we have equivalent culture to Texas in non-urban areas of the state

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

SF is a hellscape

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
SF would own with 50% less people, much like California

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Raiders are moving to Vegas (someday) and an NHL team was recently created for Vegas, the mob rules

There's been a Mafia Revitalization (an "Italian Renaissance," if you will) in the last few decades as the public at large have decided regular-ol' non-drug-related* gangstering is a far more honest and interesting a profession whatever goes on at any given investment bank. At least you can ask the Don for a personal favor once you've been paying him interest on nothing for 10+ years. Try pulling that at a Chase-Morgan-Citigroup, I dare you

*old school Mafia supposedly avoided drug dealing not due to any sort of ethical issues but because the criminal penalties were hugely disproportionate compared to most other crime

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

I hate to break it to you, but nobody has any opinions about Sacramento.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rjmccall posted:

I hate to break it to you, but nobody has any opinions about Sacramento.

Sac town baby!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammanas posted:

SF would own with 50% less people, much like California

Well when the entire northwest gets obliterated by a tidal wave someone's going to have to repopulate

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Saying “what LA people hate about Sacramento” is like making a listicle of “10 common misconceptions New Yorkers have about Dubuque”.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Give me Iowa any day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EvanTH posted:

Yahoo made a TV series about what would happen if Vegas got an NBA team
https://vimeo.com/122544816

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zoux posted:

zoux posted:

It's Austin

You can get from Austin to San Antonio in like 90 minutes though. Growing up in the Chicago suburbs it would take 2 hours to get to the United Center, easy, and I was still in the same county. I argue against people who say Chicago needs a 2nd team because it was frequently faster to get to Milwaukee than it was to get downtown.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You know who's a big fan of Oklahoma City? Kevin Durant, he said so to Paul George. Said he loved it, but he was taking the tougher road.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

You can get from Austin to San Antonio in like 90 minutes though. Growing up in the Chicago suburbs it would take 2 hours to get to the United Center, easy, and I was still in the same county. I argue against people who say Chicago needs a 2nd team because it was frequently faster to get to Milwaukee than it was to get downtown.

Hence why I'm a Spurs fan

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Omer Asik is apparently still recovering from the bacterial infection he picked up in Mexico during the All-Star break and has been dropped from the Turkish national team due to it: http://www.tbf.org.tr/detay/2017/07/29/basın-a%E7&%23305;klamas&%23305;

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/892424125821616128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/892429423261233156

• Locked thread