Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

from what I get it's the tale of a genius immortal STEMguy and his replaceable stupid sidechick

so I can see the appeal to those folks.

this actually sounds like the kind of thing they'd be so mad at they'd start sweating reaction GIFs

but then again they like doing that, so maybe you have a point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

loquacius posted:

:eyepop: That's... a recent tweet

Is Bill Shatner a gator or
Picard best captain

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i've never made it through a single episode of dr who but i marathoned all 4 seasons of blake's 7

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

deadgoon posted:

dr who is a bisexual woman now suck on it nerd

HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 TIMELORDS

I thought David Tennant got replaced years ago

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/892381497998663680
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/892381815532642308
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/892382220085866496

Shaun King good dem.

But seriously, it's great seeing people with as much reach as him pushing back against the dem establishment and all the liberal pundits who are already attacking anyone who isn't 100% on board with their neoliberal empty suit candidate.
but would that cure racism? 🤔

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Alereon posted:

Picard best captain

you misspelled sisko

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

whats so scary about that, just blink alternating left and right

Yeah the concept is cool but I'm not gonna watch the ep, although I'd read a King story about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raft_(short_story) <--- it'd probably be something like this

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
kirk outlives spock, this is not canon

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did they ever actually promote Sisko to captain, I can't remember

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did they ever actually promote Sisko to captain, I can't remember

yes, it was his reward for shaving his head

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

which btw I found out recently shaved head/goatee is Avery Brooks' natural look, he went clean shaven/with hair the first few seasons because he wanted to look different compared to his last acting gig.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

yes, it was his reward for shaving his head

this just reminds me how bad i want to see a sci-fi series based of afro futurism and p-funk mythology

Agean90 has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Aug 1, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
all of ds9 and therefore all of star trek takes place in the imaginatopn of a black science fiction writer living in harlem in the 30s

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

all of ds9 and therefore all of star trek takes place in the imaginatopn of a black science fiction writer living in harlem in the 30s

it's real

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Agean90 posted:

this just reminds me how bad i want to see a sci-fi series based of afro futurism and p-funk mythology

Funkadelic Captain's Log, choomdate 420420.69: Repairs continue to the bongulizer drive and the bop guns on the P-Funk Mothership at Funkenstein Station. Work is slow, owed primarily to the holiday boogie season, but we expect to be trippin' our way through groovy space in only a few more days

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/892381497998663680

Shaun King good dem.

But seriously, it's great seeing people with as much reach as him pushing back against the dem establishment and all the liberal pundits who are already attacking anyone who isn't 100% on board with their neoliberal empty suit candidate.

people need to brush up on their french enlightenment literature lest they squander the marvels of free exchange of ideas, course that has its drawbacks

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What's funny about the whole "dems should target moderate republicans" thing is there is precisely one place in the country where "moderate republicans" form any discernible bloc. It's Kansas, and they're in revolt over brownback's trickle down firebomb - not trump's tweets.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

What's funny about the whole "dems should target moderate republicans" thing is there is precisely one place in the country where "moderate republicans" form any discernible bloc. It's Kansas, and they're in revolt over brownback's trickle down firebomb - not trump's tweets.

local issues are almost always more important than national horseshit to people

I can't imagine a lot of people actually give a gently caress about twitter either just in general

also brownback is a gently caress and a half and his utter failure should be enough to kill the conservative dream dead but lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a lot harder to motivate people with a message "uhhh none of what you did mattered if McCain didn't have a literal brain fart at the last second"

Or ... possibly you could turn that into a message of "it's hosed up that we're all at the whim of some old dude's brain tumor", but I think it'd be a bit harder to finesse it as a battle-cry.

it'd be a literal battle cry :black101:

holy poo poo :lmfao:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/adamcbest/status/892195762318213121

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clickhole's straight journalism department is on fire
https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/892412927785017345

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dammit stop caring about things and accept the candidate I told you to accept :mad:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

deadgoon posted:

it's real

it's a faaaaaaake

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article164297657.html

quote:

On the day in 2012 when Brownback signed the tax-cut bill, critics were already forecasting fiscal doomsday. The measure slashed state income taxes by roughly $3.7 billion over five years. State financial analysts were predicting budget deficits totaling $2.5 billion in 2018.

Undaunted, Brownback insisted that the improved business climate would benefit all.

[...]

since Brownback’s first year in office, the state has raided various funds or delayed payments to the tune of $3.1 billion.

That includes about $2.5 billion in payments to the state highway fund that were diverted elsewhere. In other words, instead of depositing funds into the highway account to maintain roads, the money was diverted to the general fund and other accounts.

Essentially, Brownback and lawmakers figured that the only way to finance basic services following those massive tax cuts was to dip into piggy banks.

Brownback and lawmakers also delayed payments totaling more than $407 million from the employee retirement system, or KPERS. Economic development programs were raided to the tune of $125 million. About $47 million intended for children’s programs was diverted.

That’s only part of it. The state borrowed $1 billion and deposited it into the retirement account for needed stability. That money will have to be repaid, and so will the $407 million to make pension payments.

Likewise, we’ll never know what was lost in terms of progress for kids via those early childhood programs.

haha you loving moron kansans, just keep on electing republicans

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There are a non-negligible number of people in that twitter thread who unironically seem to believe the "Bernie wing" is mostly Russian bots. Those people are no less crazy than conservatives who thought Obama was a secret Muslim. Heck, if anything they're more crazy, because the idea of millions of people actually being fake is a lot less plausible than a person having secret religious beliefs.

Breakfast All Day posted:

if only berniebros would stop pointing out all the problems with our candidates, it'd be like they didnt have any problems!

From their perspective, the mainstream Democratic Party is a bunch of smiling, well-educated people trying to solve problems, and they view leftists as someone bursting in and creating a ruckus over nothing (or worse, they view them as a malicious actor, since they've learned to frame everything in terms of "us versus the bad conservatives").

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Aug 1, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
trump is nominating Brownback for Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom lmebo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ex post facho posted:

giving money to the rich = jobs. how hard is that 2 understand

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ex post facho posted:

Why does the Kansas City Star pay this much attention to Kansas affairs, I thought the good part of KC was in Missouri

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

best episode of the series

chief obrien did a fantastic asimov

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

A good dem after all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember that episode of Mad Men where a former cast member whose character got fired comes back and he's joined the Hare Krishnas and wrote a Star Trek TOS screenplay that was a horrible analogy for race relations and he's trying to get it made into a real episode

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FuriousxGeorge posted:

A good dem after all.

He really isn't

It's not a real bill, it involves amnesty for past weed crimes which is good but the only part of it dictating the actual legalization implementation was "pay states with federal money to liberalize their weed laws"

(which wouldn't work)

It'll never pass and he knows it so he didn't bother making it real legislation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

Remember that episode of Mad Men where a former cast member whose character got fired comes back and he's joined the Hare Krishnas and wrote a Star Trek TOS screenplay that was a horrible analogy for race relations and he's trying to get it made into a real episode

they made that TOS episode, like 5 times

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/892404496294264832

Banks... bad?

It seems like every month or so Wells Fargo is exposed as doing something insanely shady. But they're still getting away with just saying "Woops, our bad" and at worst offering refunds.

Topping the list [of wells fargo shareholders] is Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK-A) (NYSE:BRK-B). According to data from Morningstar, it owns 9.3% of Wells Fargo. The position goes back more than two decades when Berkshire Hathaway took advantage of a downturn in the California real estate market in the early 1990s to pick up shares of the San Francisco-based bank on the cheap. Today, Berkshire's stake in Wells Fargo is worth $26.3 billion, making it Buffett's single biggest investment and favorite bank.

what a surprise that major bad-dem donor warren buffett's corporate investments get away a slap on the wrist for its shady poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

I'm remembering the episode of Frasier where the weird nerd at the radio station is trying to get his fan script made into a TNG episode starring a quad-tittied alien warlord version of Roz

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Alereon posted:

Picard best captain

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ytlaya posted:

There are a non-negligible number of people in that twitter thread who unironically seem to believe the "Bernie wing" is mostly Russian bots. Those people are no less crazy than conservatives who thought Obama was a secret Muslim. Heck, if anything they're more crazy, because the idea of millions of people actually being fake is a lot less plausible than a person having secret religious beliefs.

From their perspective, the mainstream Democratic Party is a bunch of smiling, well-educated people trying to solve problems, and they view leftists as someone bursting in and creating a ruckus over nothing (or worse, they view them as a malicious actor, since they've learned to frame everything in terms of "us versus the bad conservatives").

It turned out that most if not all of the 'Bernie Bro' racist/sexist harassment reported was Russian bots sets up to divide the American left. The alt-centre decided this meant all of Bernie's supporters were Russian bots.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/marcusmash/status/760855462929584128

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Lastgirl posted:

people need to brush up on their french enlightenment literature lest they squander the marvels of free exchange of ideas, course that has its drawbacks

https://a.pomf.cat/zkzgje.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

loquacius posted:

He really isn't

It's not a real bill, it involves amnesty for past weed crimes which is good but the only part of it dictating the actual legalization implementation was "pay states with federal money to liberalize their weed laws"

(which wouldn't work)

It'll never pass and he knows it so he didn't bother making it real legislation

That actually sounds like a good plan to me, just because every time I point out federal legalization needs to happen and is important I hear people telling me (mostly completely full of poo poo people who don't really care about the issue but whatever) that federal legalization doesn't matter if the states aren't also forced to come on board. Offering funds is a good way to get them to, while still allowing them not to if they want which is their right. If he is the only Dem running on legalization I will vote for him in the primary. Hopefully that won't be the case though and there will be a better option.

• Locked thread