Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

business hammocks posted:

"Today we're going to talk about the desktops running in the computer lab during Columbine and we'll test what different calibers can do to the tower casing."

"It doesn't matter if you put a gender changing adapter on it or not, a male RS232 connector is still a male RS232 connector."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The only time Pewdiepie was in something actually funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0QW2vSdSt8

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I forget if someone mentioned it in this thread, but aren't most of George Takei's tweets and Facebook posts written by other people?

This is true of Shatner as well, I'd wager most actors on Twitter are just a gestalt of PR mooks.

Trump is all real though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The only time Pewdiepie was in something actually funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0QW2vSdSt8

Let me stop you right there.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

rkajdi posted:

We're still good as long as Avery Brooks doesn't go off the tracks.

About that...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rumda posted:

About that...

That's an enjoyable kind of off the tracks though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rumda posted:

About that...

Avery Brooks sacrificed his mind to be one with the Jazz Force and I applaud his willingness to go that far for his art.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shaun doing a pretty interesting video, combining actual history with taking down xenophobic bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCCx4wj79o

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rumda posted:

About that...

Nooooo. What did he do?

EDIT: Wait, you're calling a spoken word & jazz album off the rails? That's maybe crazy haha, not crazy :ughh: You can't even mention that in the same sentence as Shatner going old person crazy.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 1, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Shaun doing a pretty interesting video, combining actual history with taking down xenophobic bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCCx4wj79o

I've started listening to the podcast he references and links to in this video. It's... pretty amazingly well done. Basically talking through the history of Rome as we can piece it together, while keeping always in the audience's mind that it's basically all bullshit from second-hand and non-historical sources but it tells us a huge amount about what Romans wanted to think their history was. It also consistently emphasizes that Rome was basically a war society glued together with mysticism and religion.

Of course, I don't know much about Rome, so... I dunno, I like it?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Somfin posted:

I've started listening to the podcast he references and links to in this video. It's... pretty amazingly well done. Basically talking through the history of Rome as we can piece it together, while keeping always in the audience's mind that it's basically all bullshit from second-hand and non-historical sources but it tells us a huge amount about what Romans wanted to think their history was. It also consistently emphasizes that Rome was basically a war society glued together with mysticism and religion.

Of course, I don't know much about Rome, so... I dunno, I like it?

I love The History of Rome. It's generally well researched and the author, Mike Duncan, has never been above issuing corrections where he has made errors, which puts him one up on a few other amateur historians who do podcasts. It's worth noting though that the historical record proper restarts after the sack of Rome so the podcast has a more straightforward established history after that.

He has another podcast he's been doing now for a few years called Revolutions, and his series on the Haitian Revolution is perhaps particularly relevant to this thread because it deals with race relations and institutional racism, as France's own revolution led to the different groups on Haiti (rich whites, poor whites, free blacks and slaves) each taking a turn as France's ally before getting stabbed in the back as some new government took power in France. Current series is the 1848 revolutions, but Haiti was my favourite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That sounds interesting and something I will check out.

Haiti gets used as an example by racists of "lol first free black country what a shithole", but the historical record of every single European power plus the US refusing to engage diplomatically with them for decades after independence, something that never happened with the United States because ~reasons~, is a good case study in exactly what can cause development issues in a nation.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast is so good. The Haitian revolution is a very good starting point, and you can go right into the revolutions of South America with Bolivar from there.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Not So Fast posted:

This is true of Shatner as well, I'd wager most actors on Twitter are just a gestalt of PR mooks.

Trump is all real though.

Some of Trump's tweets are made by the PR team, and you can tell by how sane it is for a tweet sent by a President of the USA.

I remember a piece, I think by Cracked, that says 2008 is the year the nerds won because of Obama's smary usage of new tech. 2016 is clearly the year Twitter won.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The History of Rome is very good, but after getting to Revolutions it's hard to go back to those early HoR episodes. His delivery has massively improved.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

The context was a woman in the audience saying that she looked up to Captain Janeway and Kate Mulgrew saying "a woman's place is on the bridge." Just so you know how lovely he is. Maybe Dahmer lovely, depending on how you take it?

Doubly lovely for going with such a weak pun.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
The evil postmodern marxists made Dr Peterson sad

https://www.facebook.com/declasscucked.memes/videos/1948530385423163/

Literally crying for the end of Western Civilization.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Harrow posted:

This isn't YouTube, but I want someone to get grandpa off the internet:

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/891859995628785664

Props to Gizmodo for their opening sentence regarding this situation: "William Shatner, perhaps best known as the narrator of the 1963 film Operation Bikini, is at it again."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can't help but admire shaun's fortitude in sitting through a TL;DR video. I only last a minute before wanting to find him and swirly his dumb nerd rear end.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

toanoradian posted:

Some of Trump's tweets are made by the PR team, and you can tell by how sane it is for a tweet sent by a President of the USA.

I remember a piece, I think by Cracked, that says 2008 is the year the nerds won because of Obama's smary usage of new tech. 2016 is clearly the year Twitter won.

lol

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fados posted:

Was this before or after his google account was shut down and deleted (and then reinstated)?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dQwd2SvFok

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I wonder how long it's going to take before "laurel + eagle" is just a generic symbol for "evil" and no-one will remember where it came from

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Somfin posted:

I wonder how long it's going to take before "laurel + eagle" is just a generic symbol for "evil" and no-one will remember where it came from

We've already lost a fancy cross, an abbreviated mustache, and Cliff Huxtable, so might as well add it to the pile.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
If you watch any video about video games, even if it's just to see if something is fun to play, stuff like this is bound to pop up in your suggestions. Sigh. Thanks, video game player/rational skeptic/right wing NEET overlap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTXoc9p2q2w

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's not like laurels and eagles have ever been something you want to be on the receiving end of anyway.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

If you watch any video about video games, even if it's just to see if something is fun to play, stuff like this is bound to pop up in your suggestions. Sigh. Thanks, video game player/rational skeptic/right wing NEET overlap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTXoc9p2q2w

not sure if badly drawn anxious fursonas or the elongated rubber nazi linked previously are less appealing for thumbnails

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's not like laurels and eagles have ever been something you want to be on the receiving end of anyway.
I used to have laurels as a hedge in my back yard, I never saw them as a fash thing. (Except from an anarchist perspective, where they might constitute privet property :downsrim:)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I used to have laurels as a hedge in my back yard, I never saw them as a fash thing. (Except from an anarchist perspective, where they might constitute privet property :downsrim:)

They're fine in their natural environment it's when you start putting them on your head and shouting at people that they become fash.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think in my case it would have been more likely that I became drunk and tripped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A likely excuse!

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Fados posted:

He's such a bizarre guy. It's like he's making a rational argument on one hand and then goes off talking about snakes and dragons like a loon in the other. Also believes in God lol

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Doing a quick perusal of his uploaded videos, dude seems to be a libertarian. Yet he seems to have a problem with the way a private company decides to conduct its business? :monocle:

Actually, it seems that shockingly enough, he supports net neutrality, so seems like there's some consistently here. But of course, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that he himself benefits from such a thing as a youtube content creator? Hmm...

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Monglo posted:

He's such a bizarre guy. It's like he's making a rational argument on one hand and then goes off talking about snakes and dragons like a loon in the other. Also believes in God lol

The hallmark of pseudo-intellectuallity, adding methapors which add nothing to the point and function only to add the impression of deepness. Also probably caused by his reliance on mythical 'archetypes' like every dumb Jungian.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, Jimmy Dore has gone batshit crazy. I mean, my god. All he loving talks about nowadays is how awful Hillary is/was and consistently making GBS threads on Democrats of all stripes. If I didn't know it was Dore, I swear to god, it would be indistinguishible with any random right-wing shock jock.

As if all that's not bad enough, he also believes in the Seth Rich conspiracy. :smith:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
From what I've seen, he talks about how lovely the Democrats have been in general. Also he dropped the Seth Rich stuff months ago. If you want to see stuff like that now you have to go to H A Goodman or Nico House. He does occasionally get caught up on a theory like that, but drops them fast usually with a video if evidence comes out to the contrary.

Like he says, he's not a smarty pants, just and average Joe. Thing is he's an average Joe with good communication skills and as such is really good about carrying the message of how the Democratic party aren't really your friends. I'll occasionally watch him because I'm not a big fan of his comedy really, but when he talks about the Democrats and their abandonment of the base, alot of his videos do ring true.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 3, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Or did their base abandon them?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Both by the looks. They abandoned their base to chase after white collar tech sector workers and supposedly moderate Republicans, in a move that failed spectacularly. The base abandoned them because they sounded very, very out of touch with the pressures on the average American.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

From what I've seen, he talks about how lovely the Democrats have been in general. Also he dropped the Seth Rich stuff months ago. If you want to see stuff like that now you have to go to H A Goodman or Nico House. He does occasionally get caught up on a theory like that, but drops them fast usually with a video if evidence comes out to the contrary.

Like he says, he's not a smarty pants, just and average Joe. Thing is he's an average Joe with good communication skills and as such is really good about carrying the message of how the Democratic party aren't really your friends. I'll occasionally watch him because I'm not a big fan of his comedy really, but when he talks about the Democrats and their abandonment of the base, alot of his videos do ring true.

There's nothing wrong with criticizing Dems, but there's a fine line being critical and pathological. it's been 8 months, yo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
And the Democrats are still a thing. And they're still pushing centrist policy triangulaton policy, while only really trying to improve their messaging. I believe his last few videos about the Dems have been about that and Kamala Harris, in between stuff about Scaramucci and the failed repeal of the ACA.

• Locked thread