Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 49: It's Probably Pirates

The Goodman residence is spacious for only two people. There's a hint that the couple would like to but cannot have children. Whether that's due to being separated by the war or infertility issues, who knows. Considering the game's on-the-nose narrative and lines like "love stocked up", it's probably the former.

Agnès thanks Eleanor for her hospitality by pocketing a hairpin someone dropped on the floor. Video game protagonists are terrible houseguests.

Edea feels a kinship to this item.

We're way ahead of you.

Strange, someone stuck a sword behind the table.

It's ours now!

The party dithers around town, breaking only to nag Eleanor for food. In the evening, as Ringabel once again lays down his suavest moves, Eleanor suggests the services of the local inn for their stay. She proceeds to shove the party out the mansion's front door and lock it behind them.

We're stuck with the inn for the rest of our stay. What better time to see what the local night life's like? As Ringabel would say, hot spirits, hot parties.

With food shortages ongoing, Eleanor, the military, and honored guests (us) get dibs on access to food and clothing material. Things aren't nearly so cushy for everyone else.

In the end, he died clawing at his throat, writhing in a cloud of green mist. A friend he'd made in the trenches told me. How am I to live my life now, without him? What reason have I to go on?

Hell.

A kid at the other end of the square is screaming his head off. Let's go see what that's about.

A mother was looking for her kid in the daytime. Unfortunately, we've got no idea where she is now.

Let's leave. Hartschild's a depressing place.

The party arrives at Eisen Bridge early the next day.

Only until a way into the Temple of Fire is found.

I understand. Thank you for giving thought to our plight, Wind Vestal.

I'll head back to the old house to check on Zatz.

It'd be nice if you had time to go home to your wife sometime, Commander. Be seeing you, Tiz.

Datz leaves the bridge.

Of the four main crew, Tiz appears to be the one most likely to make friends with other people. He has a simple, calm charm to him, while by contrast Agnès is shy/emotionally distant, Edea is intimidatingly blunt (and known as an Eternian), and Ringabel is...Ringabel.

The Swordbearers have a stronghold called Grapp Keep. Could you go and scout it out?

What do you expect us to find there?

Four years ago, a terrifying weapon known as toxic mist was unleashed in the East City near the keep.

We still have not identified the nature of this toxic mist. If we can pin down what it is made from, we may be able to neutralize it and create a cure.

Grapp Keep. Got it. We'll be on our way, then!

Grapp Keep is to the northeast of here. I'll notify the guards to let you through.

We've got our first mission as honorary Shieldbearers! It involves flinging the last living vestal towards lethally toxic chemicals. Great job, everyone.

Agnès is still skeptical, but the guilt and pressure from her teammates and futility of going it alone limits her options.

But before we head towards the scene of mass murder...

There's a new side quest to check out. Back to the house by the sea. As the party enters, Zatz and Datz are chatting.

I have no idea.

Datz glances up at the party.

Oh, you're back.

Oh, we've just been seeing a mysterious ship pass by us in this harbor ever since the civil war started.

It gives me the creeps. It's an old sailing ship that's falling to pieces. It always shows up on foggy nights.

Has it tried to harm you?

No, it's just an eerie sight to see. We sometimes hear screams coming from it as well.

Screams?

It says something like, :ghost: "No, no. Not here..." :ghost: Perhaps they're looking for something?

When do you see this ship?

Tiz goes into thought while ignoring Edea staring at him in terror.

Sorry, Edea. It's time for...

~~The 90s JRPG inspired ghost ship section~~

While Edea shivers in the corner and Tiz wonders how easy it is to stab a ghost to unundeath, Datz and Zatz move their gossip to a new topic.

So that wily fox yet lives, eh? He was always the brains of the Four Warriors of the Shieldbearers.

How's he doing?

Good. He's been moving up in the world while we've been hiding out here.

He was clad in some magnificent armor. It was really shiny--and by the look on his face, really uncomfortable.

And Neuer? Is she still trying to steal Commander Goodman away from his wife?

Didn't see Neuer, so who knows? But rumor has it she's battling Steiner for a promotion.

Hmm, they're fighting to get ahead of one another? That doesn't sound like the Four Warriors we know.

I'd wager scrambling up that ladder of success is a lot more trouble than we could imagine.

Yeah, don't think I'll ever understand the allure. Just order me into the fray to bust some heads. That's all I need.

Bah ha ha! Well said! Well said, indeed!

Neuer and Steiner (unfortunately not FF9's Steiner) may be coming up later.

There's a new guy loitering around here. What's he up to?

Then a rickety old sailing ship passed by, though there was no wind in its tattered sails...

Pale spirits fluttered around its deck. I heard a voice saying, "No, no." Then a hearty laugh, "Gah hah hah." It just about scared me silly to tell you the truth...

Edea is not amused.

Anything else Datz can tell us?

No? You didn't go out sailing in the past 30 seconds since we first asked? We'd better go hunt these ghosts down ourselves. Tiz came up with this odd idea involving root beer.

The party sets out, scouring the nighttime seas. On their journey, they end up paying another visit to Caldisla.

Their harbor has not yet encountered the terror of the ghost ship.

After you've earned a bonus once, it'll be written down in that funny journal of yours. Have a look sometime.

You know you can save your game from the world map, right?

The night shift at Caldisla castle are all a bunch of fourth wall breaking nerds. The king probably got sick of dealing with their nonsense but didn't have the heart (or men) to straight out fire them.

The party continues their journey, heading east until they reach Florem.

New, less drug-induced fashion trends have already taken hold.

A young girl is now hanging out with the Matriarch.

It seems she was rescued from the monsters of the gardens to the west. She has nowhere else to go, so I've taken her in for the time being.

Then...?

Indeed, I sense something grannd within her. A light. If she were to become the Vestaling, it would do all of our hearts a great deal of good.

Go on, dear. Say hello to the Lady Vestal and her companions.

H-hello...

The poor creature is still quite shy. I do apologize.

It seems the locals do still have some knowledge about vestal training. The hopeful vestaling appears in chapter 3 whether you defeat the Bloodrose Legion or not. It's decidedly less morbid to imagine her training without DeRosa and company hunting her down as soon as you leave.

Meanwhile, this asshat continues to be an asshat, nidaphyx or no.

The party takes one last major detour, going to check up on the Sage.

After a meal and free stay (unlike some Goodmans, the Sage appreciates us, perhaps too much in the case of the ladies), the party returns to their vessel.

There, far off in the southwestern waters, in the dead of night...

the Eschalot enters a dense, inpenetrable fog.

Gameplaywise: The fog appears in a random location in the central ocean at the start of night, moving slowly across the water. As you might expect, it disappears once morning hits. Despite the wide range and short night cycle, it isn't too hard to find once you know what you're looking for.

Look at that!

It's heading for us!

What do we do!?

Letting it pass will kick us back to the world map and move the fog offscreen somewhere. No, despite Edea's wishes, we're going to swashbuckle our way right onboard the vessel.

Yes, this looks normal.

SS? Steamship? Sailing ship? Scout ship? Oh, right -- Spooky Ship!

A bunch of hovering lights appear around the party.

Agnès either has training with the restless dead or read lots of ghost stories when she was holed up in the temple.

Eeek! You mean, this is a ghost ship!?

*WINK NUDGE*

The party turns to look towards the loud, pirate-y voice.

Now there's a familiar and distinctly not-dead face.

We may not know what killed the souls on board this vessel so far, but it seems likely at least one more will be joining them soon.

Next: Men of the Sea!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Infiltrating Grapp Keep

Sub-Scenario:
The Ghostly Vessel
The Phantom Ship
Boarding the Phantom Ship

Party Chat:
The Four Shieldbearer Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm sorry, but am I reading that properly? The Funky Francisca?! I thought this was a ghost ship, not a DJ!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well that title made me pause. I just did that quest in XIV last night and thought I accidentally clicked on the LP of that game.

FF9's Steiner would have been great to see here. :(

And I did not know about that Vestaling showing up. That's interesting.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 31, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

serefin99 posted:

I'm sorry, but am I reading that properly? The Funky Francisca?! I thought this was a ghost ship, not a DJ!

As shown in other games such as Mother 3, Ghosts know how to party.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Greyarc posted:

Next: Men of the Sea!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love how instead of a hook hand Barbarossa inexplicably has an anchor hand for +5 style points and -20 practicality points.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nobody in a Square game has ever used a practicality point.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I like Barbarossa. He's pretty cool, for a ghost ship captain.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pureauthor posted:

I love how instead of a hook hand Barbarossa inexplicably has an anchor hand for +5 style points and -20 practicality points.
I always thought it was an axe/spearhead to be used in combat, but an anchor makes sense (for a given value of sense).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pirates have both good and evil otters in their hearts.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 1, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Barbarossa is the best character in this game. :allears:

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017
Better be careful; scallywags of the sea are they, they fight like dogs and men do flee!

Yar ho ho!

Yo ho har!

I love video game pirates.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose the only thing more pirate than a pirate is a pirate ghost.

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Barbarossa is the best character in this game. :allears:

I dunno, we've got Praline too...

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

S_o_S93 posted:

I dunno, we've got Praline too...

Goddamn you, I still have that loving song stuck in my head. :argh:

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 50: Axeing Around

Unlike other Eternians met so far, Barbarossa is chill enough to let us poke around. Then again, it's not like we've got much of anywhere to hide.

For whatever reason Agnès is compelled to stay onboard. If the alternative were to go find a chemical weapon knee-deep in enemy territory, I guess I'd be hesitant to leave, too.

Pirate treasure! Crew won't be needing this anymore.

Another axe. We'll be using this soon enough.

Pirates in this world sure are viking fanboys.

Once the party's done looting, it's time to say hello to Barbarossa and find out why such a genial guy keeps company with ghosts.

Close! I am actually the acting captain!

S-so this is a g-ghost ship...!

Welcome to our pirate ship, the SS Funky Francisca! I am Captain Barbarossa, leader of the Black Blades' naval force!

The Black Blades!?

You must be the wind vestal and her companions. A pleasure to meet you!

What!?

How do you know of us?

I am a ranking member of the Black Blades! Of course I am kept abreast of your comings and goings, vestal.

You have made quite a name for yourselves, in fact! Were you not aware!? Hah har har! I have looked forward to meeting you in battle one day! Heh heh hah!

!!

I leave the helm to you, me matey! We'll make this a fair fight! Yar!!

Barbarossa jumps into the air...

*CLUNK*

No ghost is that clumsy. He must be alive!

I am indeed the genuine article! A man in the flesh! Though the only one among my crew... Heh har har!

Why the ghost ship?

I sail this ship in search of a certain something, prized by the commander and myself!

A certain something?

I know what you speak of! A man's soul craves nothing more than the romance of adventure!

Well, aren't you two getting on famously, Ringabel!?

Ah yes, children, so rational. The 'women lack imagination/creativity/passion' and 'women=children, men=adults' arguments really aren't meant to be used together.

But absurd or not, it is adventure I seek. And the years I have spent wandering the seas in folly have shown me many truths!

That's it! The truth!

Barbarossa jumps out of the hole.

He may have been friendly, but this is an RPG, drat it.

If you don't punch people to death, where's the gameplay?

True to his personality, Barbarossa is a straightforward opponent.

He hits hard with physical attacks and couldn't do magic if his life depended on it. Case about to be in point.

Some of his attacks include debuffing his target. It can make things tricky if you get lazy with healing. As a man(!) of the sea(!), he's weak to lightning.

Edea decides to take her spear on an adventure into Barbarossa's insides.

Forgive me, Suleiman... Commander... It seems my time is up...

Suleiman? We've heard that name before.

Too bad. He may have had strange ideas about masculinity, but he was a fun guy.

Tiz immediately dashes forward.

The boy has his priorities.

Barbarossa's axe was also taken in good condition. If the axe was created before the Bloodrose Legion stepped in, it implies the Florem populace wasn't as stuffy as the record books showed. That would better explain the transition to the Florem of today.

:yarr:

One more sidequest done. Next, moving on to--

Oh. Hey, ghost-Barbarossa.

Even in death, he's having a good time.

Now that things have calmed down, some of the other ghosts are sticking around to chat.

Got chased off by her sister, he did. Terrifying woman, from the sound of it.

A terrifying sister...?

Before we get further, there's one last item we obtained from the Barbarossa fight: a captain's log.

D's Journal: Captain's Log posted:

Day 96 of the search:
This marks the last patch of sea west of Ancheim to be explored...
It's been near a hundred days since we found what remains our only clue.

Day 148 of the search:
The waters south of Caldisla, east of Eisenberg, and now most of the Sea of Corsairs can be scratched off the list as well...

Day 824 of the search:
Susano-o eludes me still. Two years, my promise to Mephilia has gone unfulfilled...

Day 1329 of the search:
More blood on my handkerchief this morning... I fear I haven't long. Dearest Mephilia, the Sea of Corsairs is w...

Day 2 after taking up the search:
I found the Funky Francisca becalmed. I boarded her, and saw Suleiman... Shiver it, man, why didn't you tell me? But if his log says this Susano-o is in the Sea of Corsairs, I'll find it. Just wait, old friend! I'll lay your soul to rest!

So, Captain Suleiman, aka Mephilia's fiance/lover who set out to help her find the ultimate summon, Susano-o. Grim conclusion this turned out to be.

As for Barbarossa, how was he splitting his time? Searching the open seas and heading a naval attack/blockade on a continent are two extremely different jobs. Did Kamiizumi know or care?

Hell, it's Kamiizumi, if he knew he probably would've recited a poem about flowers and death and stalked off.

One last ghost to talk with:

Suleiman himself.

Now that we've found the captain's log, we've unlocked a certain something... which will be saved for later. For now, we're moving back to the main story. The pirate ship, now with 100% certified dead crew, will continue floating around in the nightly fog and we can revisit as we please.

First, a quick stop by Hartschild to pick up a couple pieces.

Including rare orichalcum gear. The party has become a bunch of rich fancy-pants.

Into enemy territory! Agnès, already pushed out of her comfort zone by recent events, decides to give piracy and oversized axes a try.

The gate to the east of Eisen Bridge was opened to us after the talk with Goodman.

From there, it's easy to curve back and around to the Bridge from the northern, Swordbearer-held side. Hi guys!

Oh no... They've seen us! We must flee!

Right, looks like sabotage from the inside won't be quite that easy.

Further north and east, Grapp Keep comes into sight. To the northwest is yet another mysterious obelisk. If the party goes down the road to the west:

Agnès is already nervous enough without strolling all over Swordbearer/Eternian land. The party turns back towards their main destination.

There are no soldiers guarding Grapp Keep. The party enters without incident.

Despite that, Airy's skittish.

C'mon, Airy, what are you afraid of, gh--

Next: :ghost: More ghost stories, grimmer than the last! :ghost:

Also, no update next week, as I'll be busy investigating small towns in the Pacific Northwest. Provided all goes well, posting should resume in a couple weeks.

--

Event Viewer
Sub-Scenario:
Captain Barbarossa
Pirate Skirmish - A

D's Journal: Captain Barbarossa posted:

A 33-year-old man from Caldisla. His name is Hayreddin Barbarossa, holder of the pirate asterisk. Uncommonly strong, he can spin his massive axe around like a windmill.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Poor weather, lulls in the wind, choppy seas

While sailing the Sea of Corsairs, we spotted a suspicious-looking ship surrounded by ominous fog. After boarding it, we found it to be the ghost ship of Captain Barbarossa and his spirit crew, prowling the open seas. Though he is our foe, his hearty laugh and the tale of his quest for adventure made me root for him a little.

D's Journal: Suleiman posted:

(Barbarossa's Friend)
Now deceased, he once sought the Susano-o aboard the SS Funky Francisca. Barbarossa, commander of the naval forces of the Black Blades, continues his quest to honor Suleiman's dying wish. He sails the seas in the SS Funky Francisca, which is now a ghost ship.

D's Journal: Grapp Keep posted:

cont: purpose is to prevent the toxin's spread and to conduct research on how to neutralize it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Even though PIrate makes me think of the Viking Job Class from III, I think it's more akin to Warrior than anything. It's got the usual Power/Magic/Armor/Mental Break kind of abilities, after all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's also a solid damage-dealing class; IIRC, it has the highest physical attack modifier in the game and a couple of abilities that are effectively just "deal double/triple damage". The classes that do phys damage better generally do so though cherry-picking sub-commands and support abilities from other classes, or are considered better due to having better defensive options. It's the first class that can really replace Ranger as the physical damage class of choice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Weird that we haven't seen ghosts around before, what with all the dead people. I wonder if fire is related to the underworld somehow?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I love that they gave the pirate the traditional pirate accent, but named him after Turkish corsair Hayreddin Barbarossa and not, like, Blackbeard.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Patter Song posted:

I love that they gave the pirate the traditional pirate accent, but named him after Turkish corsair Hayreddin Barbarossa and not, like, Blackbeard.

..."Redbeard" isn't that far away from "Blackbeard."

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017
Pirate is one of my favourite jobs in the game; its debuffs are so very useful. I always make Edea one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Patter Song posted:

Many places have a long and fine(ly scallywaggly) history of piratry. Its good that things other than the time of the English Corsairs get acknowledged.

Though I cant think of a criminal occupation more romanticized than a pirate, nor any in that group more than English Privateers (former or otherwise discharged/disgraced).

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 8, 2017

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I never liked Axes much in this game. The accuracy penalty is killer, and using passive skills to boost your accuracy felt like I could use those slots for better purposes. Still, the Pirate job was nice for giving a hefty physical boost for using secondary job abilities.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Commander Keene posted:

It's also a solid damage-dealing class; IIRC, it has the highest physical attack modifier in the game and a couple of abilities that are effectively just "deal double/triple damage". The classes that do phys damage better generally do so though cherry-picking sub-commands and support abilities from other classes, or are considered better due to having better defensive options. It's the first class that can really replace Ranger as the physical damage class of choice.

Pirate skills were pretty much my go-to secondary for damage-dealing classes. The various breaks complemented the beatstick, and the damage skills were a nice bonus when I needed just a little bit more output.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Blind Duke posted:

I never liked Axes much in this game. The accuracy penalty is killer, and using passive skills to boost your accuracy felt like I could use those slots for better purposes. Still, the Pirate job was nice for giving a hefty physical boost for using secondary job abilities.

Well, accuracy only matters for normal attacks, and you've had physical attack skills since the Knight.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Pirate's real good for bosses, less so for random encounters. You get some phenomenal numbers out of 2-handing an axe with Spellblade though.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 51: Dead Men Tell Tales

Last time on Bravely Default:

Just when the party thought their ghostbusting adventures were over.

The glowing light forms into the shape of a Shieldbearer soldier.

Eek! A ghost is trying to get us!

Surprise! On top of everything else, Tiz has a natural knack for sensing ghosts.

But it spoke to us...

It seems to be trying to tell us something.

We had them surrounded, and their spirits were broken... Then that round little commander unleashed the mist.

A green haze began drifting slowly over the battlefield. Then...naught but agony...

The ghost fades away.

That bodes well. At least the ghost didn't attack us.

Not that that's much relief to Airy.

Grapp Keep is the same fortress tileset used in Centro Keep, with a spooky recolor.

Locked doors, inconvenient architecture, oversized switches. The regular deal.

Also, undead not so willing to talk things out.

Interestingly, these fellows died long before the toxic mist.

Why these guys woke up in the first place is a mystery. Perhaps it had to do with mist-related experiments.

Considering the fort was built not that long ago, it must have been an unwelcome surprise to have hostile skeletons swarm the place.

Maybe that's why it's been largely abandoned, left to the dead and undead.

Even at job level 1, pirate hits harder than other jobs. I leveled here a bit since the party could usually defeat enemies before being attacked.

After running around flipping switches and opening doors for a while, the party stumbles into a new area.

There were no allies or enemies... All those on the battlefield writhed in the mud, and perished clawing at their throats.

I'd never known such pain. Every breath felt like fire, and my vision turned blood red... It was as if countless parasites crawled upon my body...

There were no allies or enemies... Together we grasped at breaths, sharing unbearable pain as we met our demise.

After sharing his poem, the ghost fades away.

Although chemical weapons are best known for their use in war, they were also used to perpetrate some of modern Japan's domestic terrorism. These involved a homegrown doomsday cult which twice (first incident, second incident) released sarin in public spaces.

I don't know the exact inspirations for this plotline (there are plenty to choose from, unfortunately), but many Japanese civilians undoubtedly felt personally influenced by the incidents.

Back to the game. Let's find more switches and unlock more doors.

New enemy, who looks considerably fresher than the skeletons.

This fellow probably fell to the toxic mist. Whether he was a Swordbearer or Shieldbearer no longer matters.

Edea finds a new poking stick in a basement storage area.

Afterwards, the party heads up.

Ghost-poet-buddy is waiting for them.

Qada, the salve-maker. That corpulent commander of the Swordbearers... He has returned to these lands once more.

He had those of us who died from the toxic mist carried to this keep. Then, the tests began... Gleeful slicing, all to gauge the effects of his poison!

There were no allies or enemies... All who died to the mist were sealed within this keep, and left to rot.

Who knows how long has passed... With excruciating pain, chilling cold, hatred and despair growing within us...

The ghost fades away. Someday, our buddy's poetry will no longer be enough to keep him sane.

The least we can do is ensure justice is applied, liberally.

Place your bets, folks.

The party continues down the hall.

Suddenly, Tiz motions to the others to halt.

More spirits...?

No... I think it's something else.

Our view pans past the empty hall to the left, to the connecting room...

Which is not so empty.

We have just completed our work. See for yourself. A perfect job, no? Hyah hyah.

It took you three years to cleanse this area. Some weapon that is. Countless meaningless deaths...contaminated land, and what is left? Nothing but lifeless ruin.

To cleanse such a vast area in three years would be impossible for anyone but me. My research on the matter continues, and we may be able to reduce the time further.

The master sample of the toxin is in here?

Yes, we have it stored safely.

And there is no danger of it leaking?

Of course not. It is sealed away tight, along with its recipe. Even I, its creator, would not be able to take it from here.

We switch back to the party, who have their ears to the adjoining wall.

What do we do? They spoke of a sample of the toxin. It seems something is stored further in.

That's what we need to get hold of.

They turn their attention back to the wall.

The results? Why, I annihilated a hundred thousand enemy troops, achieving a brilliant victory.

That was no victory. It was a massacre. Our allies caught in the midst, an entire city brought to ruin, turning the area to wasteland for four years...

But without my victory, the Swordbearers would be no more. Of that there can be no doubt.

We sacrificed a thousand to defeat a hundred thousand. Far more effective than conventional war, no?

Do you believe you could have achieved similar results by clashing blades, swordmaster? I highly doubt it.

I admit that would be impossible.

The party turns their attention back to each other.

My master is angered. I have never seen him so enraged.

He's angry? He seems calm enough to me.

What? Can't you sense the rage seething within him? It gives me goose bumps...

The tension is so thick it chokes...

It is to control the crystals and spread Anticrystalism. Do not forget that.

I have no need for an efficient method of killing. I forbade you from using this toxic weapon of yours in the first place.

So you would have me simply let the Swordbearers face defeat? They numbered just ten thousand. Against one hundred thousand Shieldbearers, they did not stand a chance.

I ordered you to hold the front line, not exterminate our foes!

I...I merely saw a chance for victory and...and seized it! I...uh...I knew we would...prevail.

If you thought you ever had a chance against those odds, it only shows you lack a talent for generalship.

Blinded by ambition, you misread the enemy, disobeyed my orders, and then slaughtered both enemy and ally alike.

You slew them all like dogs! You showed no respect at all for the warriors on either side.

That's a drat good question, Kamiizumi. Try asking Edea next time you see her.

Know this: the next time you disobey my orders for your own selfish ends, you will fall to my sword.

I-I understand completely, ha ha ha... I will not let you down...

I shall return to Starkfort. You stay back and see that the wounded are cared for.

Of course...

And as soon as Kamiizumi's out of earshot:

Who does he think he is, spouting such nonsense? What a hypocrite. There is no place for heroism or pride in war. To seek such things is a fool's errand.

The party stops listening once Qada dissolves into a giggle fit.

We should take it back with us.

Right!

Segments of the swordmaster and salve-maker conversation bring up interesting thoughts on the ethics of war, paralleling some of the argument over the use of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki: if a single terrible weapon could possibly result in less future casualties and trauma, can its use ever be justified?

Luckily, the in-game example simplifies matters by making one side of the argument an honorable warrior and the other a guy who looks, sounds, and acts like an incompetent, sadistic toad.

Reducing a complex subject to black vs. white is normal in stories, but considering Bravely Default's central message of 'black vs. white vs. grey', I don't mind giving it some pokes. Especially when it brings up, then immediately dismisses, moral complications. And oh boy, will this not be the last time it does that.

The dungeon's almost over at this point.

Up the lower central staircase is the last unvisited area.

With Kamiizumi and Qada gone, now's the party's chance to steal that master sample.

Next: The ethics of chemical weaponry, continued, and the wartime use of J-pop.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
The Green Mist
No Allies or Enemies
The Corpulent Commander
Swordmaster and Salve-Maker

D's Journal: Qada the Salve-Maker posted:

A 46-year-old man who hails from Eternia. His name is Qada, and he holds the salve-maker asterisk. He is quick to forget his own mistakes and obligations, but holds on to grudges and clings to his meager achievements.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Patience, strict superiors

Qada is responsible for the civil war in Eisenberg dragging on so long. He used a forbidden toxic weapon out of cowardice, slaughtering 100,000 Shieldbearer and Swordbearer soldiers. The area became an uninhabitable wasteland for over three years. Much to his chagrin, he was ordered to clean up the mess and treat the wounded soldiers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Profiteur, DeRosa, and Qada manage to all be horrible people who do horrible things, but it's worth noting that unlike the previous two, Qada does not have the ability to act as he pleases.

So as bad as things are now, it could be worse in the Eisen region. Probably. Somehow.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ok but why keep the Master Sample in the middle of a zombie-infested fortress in the middle of a wasteland

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, if it leaks, it won't kill anything that isn't already dead.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Profiteur, DeRosa, and Qada manage to all be horrible people who do horrible things, but it's worth noting that unlike the previous two, Qada does not have the ability to act as he pleases.

So as bad as things are now, it could be worse in the Eisen region. Probably. Somehow.

And they finally introduce Team Unforgiveably Evil member #3.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
No don't come back swordmaster I want to hear more about your side because you're actually talking about it no you're walking off come back dangit!

Pureauthor posted:

Ok but why keep the Master Sample in the middle of a zombie-infested fortress in the middle of a wasteland

Sounds like a great place to keep a biological weapon of mass destruction.

The zombies would have to get out in order to actually spread it if it leaked and everyone knows zombies are bad news!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, if it leaks, it won't kill anything that isn't already dead.

Or destroy anything not already destroyed by it. Except Qada, who no one would miss.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Well, no one will miss this piece of garbage when we dispose of him. All for the Asterisk, of course.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Well, no one will miss this piece of garbage when we dispose of him. All for the Asterisk, of course.

You joke, but I'd shank this man if he were Saint Qada the Pious if it'd get my team access to that Asterisk he's holding.

The fact that he's an immoral mass-murdering shitlord who'd do it again just to prove the first time wasn't a fluke is just a bonus.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Mr. Locke posted:

You joke, but I'd shank this man if he were Saint Qada the Pious if it'd get my team access to that Asterisk he's holding.

The fact that he's an immoral mass-murdering shitlord who'd do it again just to prove the first time wasn't a fluke is just a bonus.

This pretty much describes the correct attitude towards any JRPGs ever.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

This pretty much describes the correct attitude towards any JRPGs ever.

Well. I was speaking about this specific asterisk but... yeah, you're not wrong.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Mr. Locke posted:

Well. I was speaking about this specific asterisk but... yeah, you're not wrong.

It's a great job that we get from this asterisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

I hear thee.