Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I mean if you can abstract resources and labor into their representation via fiat currency it's a very brief and easy step to abstract energy into its repository in resources and labor.

Sure it is easy to do but it is very hard to do well. Most people in this thread believe our market economies do a very poor job abstracting resources and labor into currency representations. We don't integrate the negative value of carbon-like emissions in our market economies anywhere like we need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure it is easy to do but it is very hard to do well. Most people in this thread believe our market economies do a very poor job abstracting resources and labor into currency representations. We don't integrate the negative value of carbon-like emissions in our market economies anywhere like we need to do.

Oh totally I'm just saying that the concept is not at all foreign or relegated to being a highdea

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

https://youtu.be/cGGIZKLrgmA

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://twitter.com/maimecat/status/888165904466444288

https://twitter.com/HillNoOklahoma/status/889112039108509700

https://twitter.com/DEAD_P1XL/status/888600441147273216

https://twitter.com/ejfinneran/status/889646712691855362

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
plant some loving trees you honking fools

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the trees want to save us

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This video gave me a half chub, thank you

Could this seismicity affect the integrity of the Ogallala aquifer system? It'd be pretty loving hilarious if we accidentally cracked a hole in it somewhere and drained it down to the center of the earth

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suicides of nearly 60,000 Indian farmers linked to climate change, study claims

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Well they at least seem to be doing their part to solve this mess

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Well they at least seem to be doing their part to solve this mess

Really? You are really going to make that joke? Come on now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Comedy is the last refuge of the damned.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You can either laugh or cry, or in my case, both.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey guys indian/bangladeshi farmers have no other option than to end it all but still asking me to not have a yard for my kids to never play in just plain being extremist!

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
here's a though, maybe the problem isn't yards or population but an economic system that demands exponential growth and doesn't value externalities well enough

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JuniperCake posted:

You must be new here.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Frankly, the sooner Oklahoma as a state is swallowed by a giant sinkhole, the better.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

hey guys indian/bangladeshi farmers have no other option than to end it all but still asking me to not have a yard for my kids to never play in just plain being extremist!

It's like injustice is baked into the climate change cake. USA is one of the biggest culprits in this crime but these poorer Southern Hemisphere nations will suffer the consequences first and more severely.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RIP and so on.

In conclusion, every coin has two sides, just like the climate change.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewForumSoftware posted:

here's a though, maybe the problem isn't yards or population but an economic system that demands exponential growth and doesn't value externalities well enough

its both

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I too enjoy this gif of water boiling.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

JuniperCake posted:

Relax buddy
https://youtu.be/Q8bV9iNStEI

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

"I dont want to live on the West Coast because of Earthquakes"

- poo poo people from the midwest/central usa have told me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Oh totally I'm just saying that the concept is not at all foreign or relegated to being a highdea

Excuse me, recreational drugs are totally a key component of economics research.

Source: I am a transportation economist

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

"Eh, more than I'd expect from, you know, Oklahoma, but not really all that ba-"

:raise:

:stare:

:stonk:

:supaburn:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im assuming that is due to fracking. I cant wait to hear Albertans try to explain away earthquakes in a few years.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Im assuming that is due to fracking.

That's literally what it says on the map. "Oklahoma Injection-Induced Seismicity"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Im assuming that is due to fracking. I cant wait to hear Albertans try to explain away earthquakes in a few years.

They've started fracking in my hometown in Texas. :negative:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

That's literally what it says on the map. "Oklahoma Injection-Induced Seismicity"

Injection-Induced Seismicity is not exactly a term I was familiar with, hence the "assuming" because I had a pretty good idea thats what it meant. :ssh:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Naw it's about farts from meth addicts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shifty Nipples posted:

Naw it's about votes from meth addicts.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://m.phys.org/news/2017-08-earth-resource-spent-august.html

quote:

Earth Overshoot Day will arrive on August 2 this year, according to environmental groups WWF and Global Footprint Network. This is a day earlier than in 2016.

It means humanity will be living on "credit" for the rest of the year.

"By August 2, 2017, we will have used more from Nature than our planet can renew in the whole year," the groups said in a statement.

"This means that in seven months, we emitted more carbon than the oceans and forests can absorb in a year, we caught more fish, felled more trees, harvested more, and consumed more water than the Earth was able to produce in the same period."

:discourse:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Potato Salad posted:

I think you may have skipped over what I would have hoped was fairly clear sarcasm.

I do not believe anyone is going to be building reactors for the third world.

Rosatom is literally selling reactors to the third world. This will stall rising third world CO2 emissions, or it will lead to people abandoning nuclear disaster areas to a much greater extent than is necessary (:v:), but either way the planet wins!

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Part of the problem is that the rich countries don't understand that selling things to third world countries at a profit isn't really that much of a help. We should be building them for free.

"Here's the solution India! Go into more debt to western countries to stop the problems they created in the first place!"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

But there's no profit in giving things away???

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Injection-Induced Seismicity is not exactly a term I was familiar with, hence the "assuming" because I had a pretty good idea thats what it meant. :ssh:

Technically it is due to waste water injection not hydraulic fracturing itself. This matters only because different plays (regions) have different geologies that generate more or less waste water. Likewise, there are other disposal methods that don't cause earthquakes, but those methods are more expensive and not required by regulators.

This is mainly just so you don't get gotcha-ed if you say fracing causes earthquakes or w/e.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

How do you know it's not related to wastewater injection, as opposed to hydraulic fracturing?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't care if it is a little intellectually dishonest, an idea popped in my head and unfortunately I'm sharing it all with you:

Turn your favorite Climate Change Denial argument into an argument for criticizing the global war on terror.

9/11 was a once in a lifetime occurrence. It is not a pattern that things are changing.

Hundreds of engineers and contractors get paid hundreds of millions of dollars to sell you on the idea that terrorism is getting worse.

Terrorism has always been occurring since the beginning of mankind. We survived it then, we survived it now. That doesn't mean we have to change the way we live.

Writing some of these out, it seems that the arguments fit better this way.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

get gotcha-ed if you say fracing causes earthquakes or w/e.

call to action posted:

How do you know it's not related to wastewater injection, as opposed to hydraulic fracturing?

loving drat haha

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

But there's no profit in giving things away???

There is the massively lowering of the cost of the externalities that will be killing you though. Too bad externalities with cost outcomes that are erratic and not normal/gaussian like radio interference can't be modeled for poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

There is the massively lowering of the cost of the externalities that will be killing you though. Too bad externalities with cost outcomes that are erratic and not normal/gaussian like radio interference can't be modeled for poo poo!!

Radio interference of what?