Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

aware of dog posted:

Mint the coin, Trump.

If someone tells him he can have his face on it, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

the black husserl posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure a shutdown isn't going to cause "violent street riots". The last one certainly didn't.

That's because people assumed
/realized that the shutdown would eventually end.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fangz posted:

The only relevant figure is debt as a proportion of GDP, trying to keep debt to a fixed amount basically equates to driving down debt to zero, which means forgoing a massive amount of investment for no reason whatsoever.

Actually that doesn't matter either. What matters, if anything, is debt payments as a portion of the budget.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If the US Government defaults, then the bedrock of the world's financial system defaults. Most of the world's economy runs under the assumption that US government debt is 100% AAA+++ safe as hell. If that suddenly shakes and isn't safe anymore, then the consequences would be vastly, vastly greater than the Great Depression.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kind of a shame we're already on repeat with these tweets.

Retweets.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

WampaLord posted:

If someone tells him he can have his face on it, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

Idk, he's more of a gold man than a platinum one.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I assume defaulting would be something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NnTU_OMqpA

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah, I'm really not talking about a default. I'm talking about a de facto permanent shutdown.

Everything I know about Republicans tells me that a shutdown is the goal, not the obstacle.

From my (ignorant) POV, they can threaten a choice between an absolutely despicable budget that "destroys the administrative state" or a shutdown. Either option accomplishes their goal.

If your logic was true, why did the Republicans end the shutdown under Obama?

Republicans enjoy abusing Federal services and their donors and constituents like their federal checks to keep flowing.

If Republicans could pick and choose to shut down only the parts of the Federal government, you're right that's basically their goal. But Boeing and Humana want their check and it is Social Security and Medicare keeping a bunch of Republicans alive.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I'm really not talking about a default. I'm talking about a de facto permanent shutdown.

Everything I know about Republicans tells me that a shutdown is the goal, not the obstacle.

From my (ignorant) POV, they can threaten a choice between an absolutely despicable budget that "destroys the administrative state" or a shutdown. Either option accomplishes their goal.

The threat of a shutdown is a tool by Republicans to get concessions. Republicans don't want a shutdown because it bites them in the rear end every time and there's no one to use the threat against because they control two branches of government.

And no one wants a default except maybe Trump because he's an idiot. Maybe they should frame it in different ways. Like, "Russian banks will charge you three times as much interest and repossess your wife."

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

If 110 million people want you to stop something, it's probably worth considering.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo, how did Jill Stein remain unnoticed for so long in that Flynn+Putin photo

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Serfer posted:

If 110 million people want you to stop something, it's probably worth considering.

:thunk:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm assuming a moderately boring apocalypse. As a white bougie liberal I'm not sure there is a trulu dystopian future where I survive

You had the means to amass an armory, thats squarely on you.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo, how did Jill Stein remain unnoticed for so long in that Flynn+Putin photo

It did not go unnoticed.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not sure what tools Democrats have left to really fight Wray, it is a 51 vote to confirm and there will be 0 Republican defectors. You can't do an amendment-a-rama on a confirmation vote.

McCain isn't there, even 1 defector would be bad

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TIL the debt ceiling is loving insane

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/sairakh/status/892434683727892480/photo/1

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Teddybear posted:

If the US Government defaults, then the bedrock of the world's financial system defaults. Most of the world's economy runs under the assumption that US government debt is 100% AAA+++ safe as hell.

Eh, not so much any more. Remember the US lost its S&P AAA credit rating back in 2011 and still hasn't regained it; there is a recognition in the market that the possibility of a US default is non-zero.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

coyo7e posted:

She didn't.

NRVNQSR posted:

Eh, not so much any more. Remember the US lost its S&P AAA credit rating back in 2011 and still hasn't regained it; there is a recognition in the market that the possibility of a US default is non-zero.

Not entirely true, and in a few important ways. Many products are still priced at T+X, T holdings are still central to so many portfolios. It'd be an unmitigated disaster.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Reik posted:

Can't wait for the 2020 primaries where I get to be called both a sexist and racist for preferring Bernie's platform over Kamala's.

lol Bernie isn't running in 2020

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

A "de facto permanent shutdown" would mean the literal end of the United States as a nation. Without the military maintaining a monopoly on violence - a political science term - there would be an immense power vacuum. Americans would need another way to protect themselves from foreign intrusion, and so would be forced to make their own militaries. This would likely be spearheaded by state governments, considering their strong organization and the large amount of faith Americans already put into them. And without the federal government, there would be nothing to prevent this clearly unconstitutional move.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but this sort of thing is very well studied and occurs in a very predictable manner.

Kale
May 14, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

wtf cnn is against vilerat and cefte now?!?!?!

Internet Free Speech, aka people's believe in their sworn right to act like a complete shithead and drag everybody into their vortex of shitposting

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

They support mandatory busing

They're so racist they've looped back around to being Civil-rights-era progressives

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

lol Bernie isn't running in 2020

Didn't you get the memo? 2020 will be a literal re-run of 2016, MOM and all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So Cory Booker is proposing a bill to legalize pot at the federal level

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia, Sharia Police stone bus seats to death.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

He's just doing it so his pharmaceutical industry masters can profit from it.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Didn't you get the memo? 2020 will be a literal re-run of 2016, MOM and all.

Ole Chaffee will finally convince everyone that metric is the way to go :unsmith:

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

And this is how dems win national and local elections. Glad someone finally realized it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gotta fix that national image for 2020. I hope the bill works. If it did and Trump was smart, he would begin mass pardons of POC in jail for marijuana. (he isn't and won't)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What will happen if Trump refuses to sign the new Russia Sanctions Bill?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Gotta fix that national image for 2020. I hope the bill works.

Probably get more support if he sponsored a bill to make opioids non-prescription.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

Not entirely true, and in a few important ways. Many products are still priced at T+X, T holdings are still central to so many portfolios. It'd be an unmitigated disaster.

Sure, but my point is that it's not correct to say that the complete safety of US debt is an unchallenged assumption; S&P have been saying "it might not be safe" for years now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's just doing it so his pharmaceutical industry masters can profit from it.

I for one welcome our new (old?) Pharma overlords

I mean you're right but we should probably go ahead and make his campaign thread now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

She is a well educated, charismatic person with a distinguished career, a clean past, and she is a progressive, and she is portrayed well in the literature about her and her career. She's the ideal USMC Officer, and broke barriers herself.
She is pretty much exactly the kind of candidate the Dems need, I don't understand how one can argue against that with a straight face.

On the other hand:

Falstaff posted:

Is she for single payer? Or better wages? She didn't say anything about that in the ad, just about defending Obamacare.

I dunno what to tell you, dude. She literally brags about personally bombing foreigners in her campaign ad, obviously as a way to prove her war hawk bonafides. It's exactly the sort of thing that cartoon is meant to criticize. Maybe now isn't the best time to run blue dogs?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Spacebump posted:

Gotta fix that national image for 2020.

He's actually already in the upper echelons of popularity for Senators and National Politicians (Bernie is still the most popular Senator nationwide).

quote:

National Registered Voters (1/6/2017 - 1/9/2017)

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey?

Favorable: 52%
Unfavorable: 22%
Don't Know/Never Heard: 24%
Refuse: 2%

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I for one welcome our new (old?) Pharma overlords

I mean you're right but we should probably go ahead and make his campaign thread now

Bluuuhhh, I hope that shiny-headed s.o.b. crashes and burns early because his transparent desperation for the office is irritating enough already

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

namaste faggots posted:

It becomes law in 10 days automatically

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

namaste faggots posted:

2/3 majority can override a veto. Or if he's too busy tweeting and watching the news and doesn't veto it within a certain amount of time iirc it becomes law anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Rep Trent Franks just called on Mueller to resign.

He's a hare-lipped moron from Arizona who said black people were better off under slavery than today.

The House is just full of the worst people in America right now.

So, how long till the "calls for this start growing"?

• Locked thread