Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

TheCenturion posted:

Yakuza: Retirement Home.

Kazuma Kiryu is 90 years old, but he still burns with the hot-blooded desire for justice! When a gang of retired, senile yakuza move into the Sunshine Retirement Home and start bullying the other inhabitants, stealing their pudding, only watching the shows they want to watch in the break room, and cheating at checkers, the Dragon of Dojima must once again make things right the only way he knows how: his own two fists.

All new HEAT actions! Feel the HEAT when Kazuma busts the most brutal special moves yet, such as 'smash his walker over their head' and 'impale them on IV stand' and 'toss them face-first into the dirty adult diaper bin!'
Exciting minigames! Test your skill and coordination in minigames like 'remember who Haruka is when she comes to visit' and 'dueling television remotes against Majima'
Classic storyline! Like all Yakuza stories, expect to see corrupt cops, weird links to the Korean criminal underground, and Millenium Tower getting blown up, yet again.

SUDDEN CLOSEUP SHOT OF OLD KIRYU, BENT OVER HIS WALKER, DETERMINED LOOK ON HIS FACE, SUDDENLY GRAB THE LAPEL OF HIS STRIPED TERRYCLOTH BATHROBE AND TEAR IT OFF, EXPOSING HIS WRINKLY BUT STILL IMPRESSIVE DRAGON TATTOO, ONLY NOW IT HAS A REALLY LONG, FLOWING GREY BEARD.

Yakuza 15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
ROFLMAO!

And in Yakuza 16, Kiryu is a vengeful ghost!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm going back and replaying Yakuza 5 for the first time, and Act 4 feels pretty bad. Shinada's moves are all boring and the reveals about his big game 15 years ago make it feel like the third act to an entirely different game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Everything about Shinada as a character owns, but he's 0 fun to actually play.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I liked playing him more than Saejima :shrug:
The whole being in jail and out in the wilderness thing was incredibly boring, and his combat style wasn't really my thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Yakuza 5 is a bit of a mess. Saejima's chapter does indeed kinda suck but thankfully you can blaze through it pretty fast.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yep. I appreciate that they tried to do more, but it just means the game feels way less focused. I have my problems with 4, but I think it's way more of a solid package all around.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm almost done plowing through Majima's cabaret missions because I love management games with active elements. One element about it that I am still uncertain of is what effect it has when you choose the "Give Girl a Reward" option when the customer leaves. It clearly restores more of the girl's HP than the "Praise Girl" option does, but it also flashes the message "Girl's Performance has Improved." The best lead I can find is one guide suggesting that the Reward option will boost the Girl's XP as well as HP, so choosing it will level her up faster, but you can't see XP gains when you are running the cabaret floor. I initially thought that the Reward option would raise a girl's mood, so you could send an overworked girl out to the floor and then increase her mood to happy with trinkets, but I guess that would be pretty broken, and monstrous.

I've just been choosing this option by default since I'm flush with yen at this point, but does anybody have more information on what the Reward option does?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My friend came to japan recently and found real pocket circuit with all you can drink alcohol.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My friend came to japan recently and found real pocket circuit with all you can drink alcohol.

where i need to know

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Heaven exists?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mikeycp posted:

where i need to know

Koenji station.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Koenji station.

Ewww west Tokyo burbs. なるほど.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I just beat the game, and it was loving amazing.
However, I have what is probably the dumbest question for this situation. Are there any tips for combat?
I did almost everything on my first run, but as soon as I got to the secret bosses and coliseum, I realized that enemies improved dramatically. Regular goons and even bosses I've defeated no problem mostly because they almost never defended. When it comes to optional encounters, however, I feel like I'm missing something. I don't know whether to dodge, defend or just hit the enemy and if I should stick to some styles in some cases. Majima's Amon in particular wrecked me. I kept chipping away at his health, but as soon as he got to 2nd form, he just killed me. Not that other Amon was better, but there I can probably just see when he dizzies me to dodge his death beam, I guess
Also, would you recommend to upgrade the 4th style? I dunno how much boost it gives, but if it boosts attack as much as it does health - and that seems to be literally one pixel - I want to know if I'm wasting money.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 1, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
At that point in the game you should practically be making GBS threads money so there's no reason NOT to upgrade your fighting style, whether or not you feel like the upgrades are tangible. What else are you gonna do with a billion dollars?

As for fighting in general, do a lot of lock on, wait for them to attack, dodge and whiff punish. That is VERY general advice mind you.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Caitlin posted:

At that point in the game you should practically be making GBS threads money so there's no reason NOT to upgrade your fighting style, whether or not you feel like the upgrades are tangible. What else are you gonna do with a billion dollars?

As for fighting in general, do a lot of lock on, wait for them to attack, dodge and whiff punish. That is VERY general advice mind you.
Honestly even that is enough, because I forgot game had a lock-on button somewhere down the line. Holding R1 for some reason is not really comfortable for me, so I ditched it and forgot it existed. I've never played any brawler games so I never got how to play them, and yeah, even that's fine, because I had no idea if I should dodge or defend etc. Guess I'll try to get everything (maybe aside from full competion list, I don't really want to learn weird japanese minigames) on my second run

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

harperdc posted:

Ewww west Tokyo burbs. なるほど.

Is there some weird tokyo gaijin geography elitism that I'm thankfully unaware of?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Vookatos posted:

I just beat the game, and it was loving amazing.
However, I have what is probably the dumbest question for this situation. Are there any tips for combat?
I did almost everything on my first run, but as soon as I got to the secret bosses and coliseum, I realized that enemies improved dramatically. Regular goons and even bosses I've defeated no problem mostly because they almost never defended. When it comes to optional encounters, however, I feel like I'm missing something. I don't know whether to dodge, defend or just hit the enemy and if I should stick to some styles in some cases. Majima's Amon in particular wrecked me. I kept chipping away at his health, but as soon as he got to 2nd form, he just killed me. Not that other Amon was better, but there I can probably just see when he dizzies me to dodge his death beam, I guess
Also, would you recommend to upgrade the 4th style? I dunno how much boost it gives, but if it boosts attack as much as it does health - and that seems to be literally one pixel - I want to know if I'm wasting money.

Amon is always unfair and never fun.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there some weird tokyo gaijin geography elitism that I'm thankfully unaware of?

Not just gaijin only, there are plenty of areas considered uncool or awful to go to. Koenji is just a boring suburban part of the metro area. Considering how many people live around here, there are lots of places that are this. Partially this is because it's on the JR Chuo line, which is one of the most heavily trafficked as well. But even then there are some hipster areas (Kichijoji, Nakano to an extent) near there as well.

One thing is for sure: At least it's not in Saitama or Chiba.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Saitama owns, actually.

You're right about Chiba tho.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Amon is always unfair and never fun.

That's why he met the Zap Gun.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

harperdc posted:

Not just gaijin only, there are plenty of areas considered uncool or awful to go to. Koenji is just a boring suburban part of the metro area. Considering how many people live around here, there are lots of places that are this. Partially this is because it's on the JR Chuo line, which is one of the most heavily trafficked as well. But even then there are some hipster areas (Kichijoji, Nakano to an extent) near there as well.

One thing is for sure: At least it's not in Saitama or Chiba.

It's not a shopping Mecca or anything but it's completely inoffensive. Nice restaurants, modest walk from Shinjuku, that one festival...

Edit: also koenji has all you can drink pocket circuit so gently caress you haha.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 2, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Saitama owns, actually.

You're right about Chiba tho.

they don't call it "ダ埼玉" for nothing.

quote:

It's not a shopping Mecca or anything but it's completely inoffensive. Nice restaurants, modest walk from Shinjuku, that one festival...

Edit: also koenji has all you can drink pocket circuit so gently caress you haha.

"modest walk" KOENJI STATION IS 5 KM AWAY FROM SHINJUKU that's train distance. Especially in "not winter".

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I think I sold my calming towel before I realized its value. Can I get another? The FAQ says it is a substory reward only.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Free DLC packs for Kiwami

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I didn't realize they were putting Pocket Circuit in Kiwami :toot:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Does this place have a website or something?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I'm glad the Yakuza series, so far, has only done these free DLC packs. No worries about having to buy a season pass or cut content/story mode DLC bits.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love the Marlin Cannon and I am glad its in Kiwami too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

if you want to just chill and look at pretty things with nice people saitama is awesome for that. it's one of my favorite places in japan.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

harperdc posted:

"modest walk" KOENJI STATION IS 5 KM AWAY FROM SHINJUKU that's train distance. Especially in "not winter".

That's a modest walk.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

There's a ton of places with Tamiya Mini4-ku circuits throughout Japan: http://mini4wd.rccar-navi.com/
Turns out there's a fair number of watering holes, too, for the nostalgic.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Since it seems like we're talking about travel now, do you all have any advice for visiting Japan for relatively cheap (as far as international travel goes)? My girlfriend and I would like to go at some point.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Beelerzebub posted:

Since it seems like we're talking about travel now, do you all have any advice for visiting Japan for relatively cheap (as far as international travel goes)? My girlfriend and I would like to go at some point.

More like making fun of suburb-rear end Tokyo.

There are cheap-ish places to stay that AREN'T capsules, including hostels. There's cheaper food if you know where to look. You can skip the Japan Rail Pass if you're going to stay just in one metro area (ie only around Tokyo/Yokohama). You can skip going to the top of places like Tokyo Skytree (overrated). You can get drunk for cheap, you can avoid taxis, and generally have fun and explore the country and culture without breaking the bank.

Relevant to the Yakuza games, I've been to areas seen in multiple games (Kabukicho, Dotonbori, and Nakasu in Fukuoka) and they're generally safe to wander around, especially in the afternoon/evening. Just don't get into conversations with dudes on the street trying to advertise for shops and you'll be fine. Kabukicho is half Chinese tourists by now, and a short walk from Shinjuku, a major destination in Tokyo. Dotonbori is famous for the restaurants and also has some pretty good bars mixed in with the more adult establishments. And, in general, drinking and going out in Japan is a very safe and fun experience.

If you have any other questions PM or ask in the Japan local thread, don't want to derail this too long before Kiwami hits in the US.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

harperdc posted:

More like making fun of suburb-rear end Tokyo.

There are cheap-ish places to stay that AREN'T capsules, including hostels. There's cheaper food if you know where to look. You can skip the Japan Rail Pass if you're going to stay just in one metro area (ie only around Tokyo/Yokohama). You can skip going to the top of places like Tokyo Skytree (overrated). You can get drunk for cheap, you can avoid taxis, and generally have fun and explore the country and culture without breaking the bank.

For me the barrier to going to Japan is the expensive as hell plane ticket. Cheaping out on accommodations after paying like 2 grand to fly to Japan seems like penny wise and pound foolish to me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

if you look far enough ahead of time you can sometimes fine tickets into nagoya for sub $600

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xc4X-f49M

Yakuza 6 arrives March 20th, 2018 in NA and EU. Physical release with a special edition and another launch day version confirmed.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FFS that is years away

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Why can't I pre-order that $90 edition already??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yes.