Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

That was the worst thing about the episode. Casterly Rock and Highgarden but especially Casterly looked lame as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kater posted:

That was the worst thing about the episode. Casterly Rock and Highgarden but especially Casterly looked lame as gently caress.

It's the "can't be bothered to design anything" season. All the money goes into paying the main cast and CGI dragons.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

How did the free folk north of the wall survive previous winters?
edit: Not a nitpick, genuinely curious if it's discussed in the books.

The way I always read it was that there was some sort of normal yearly seasonal variation (otherwise what does it mean when you say someone is 9 years old), but there is quite some wiggle room on a longer time scale, much like Europe suffered from a small ice age during the Middle ages. And knowing GRRM the small ice age is probably what inspired this part of A song and ice and fire to begin with.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Years are measured using astronomical cycles, the changing of the seasons is measured in the story by the length of the days, these are not linked in the grrm verse as the seasons are magical.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

kater posted:

Sam is currently copying books and Jorah is gonna take him to Dany...

The only good post from the last 10 pages of this thread.

kater posted:

Casterly Rock was the most :effort: castle I've seen on film for ages. Just a flat wall on a flat field, so you can just run up to it with ladders. No overhang? No defensive trench/moat?

Also, would it have killed Grey Worm to do the sneak attack to open the gate at night, before wasting hundreds of lives storming the walls. You know, like he LITERALLY DID BEFORE THAT ONE TIME WITH JORAH AND DAARIO.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 1, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, would it have killed Grey Worm to do the sneak attack to open the gate at night, before wasting hundreds of lives storming the walls. You know, like he LITERALLY DID BEFORE THAT ONE TIME WITH JORAH AND DAARIO.

That's one part that makes sense. Sneaking into a castle is all good and fine, but once inside a bunch of obvious foreigners will stand out unless the defenders are distracted. Even if they got to a gate, opening one won't do much unless you have a bunch of dudes right outside it waiting to get in.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This season is "remember what happened in those other seasons?" The Season. Like they have to remind people of the payoffs coming in the season after this.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I couldn't tell if the attack scaling the walls etc actually happened, or if that was just Tyrian explaining what would happen if they tried it, demonstrated for the viewer.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

I couldn't tell if the attack scaling the walls etc actually happened, or if that was just Tyrian explaining what would happen if they tried it, demonstrated for the viewer.

It was the latter. Thought it was pretty obvious since they lose in that scenario and he's like "ORRRRR"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I had to watch the Thronecast after the episode and man the people on there were seriously reaching to give a reason that Cersei had gone from useless and scared to some sort of tactical genius in only one season.

Although the guy who plays Hodor did basically say it's not written as well as it was!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

esperterra posted:

Is it just me, or is Master of Cisterns & Sewers or w/e a way shittier and more insulting/degrading job than trusting Tyrion to design a fully functioning sewer system?

Seems like a job you give to someone because you know they'll be good at it.

yeah well his father hated his son who is both a: a dwarf, and b, killed his mother during childbirth. So give him the poo poo jobs

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Taear posted:

I had to watch the Thronecast after the episode and man the people on there were seriously reaching to give a reason that Cersei had gone from useless and scared to some sort of tactical genius in only one season.

She blew up part of the city and killed hundreds (thousands?) of people and basically nobody has even said anything about it since. Seems like a huge event that could have been explored in depth to show how her character might be changed by it, but they're ending the show so that's not gonna happen.
Character development is now to be assumed to have happened offscreen, and the only reason it happens is to get us to the next plot point.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

cersei has always been very good at securing tactical victories. the problem is that she never thinks about long-term consequences. see: imprisoning ned and reviving the faith militsnt

i see no reason to think why her alliance with euron should be any different.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cimber posted:

yeah well his father hated his son who is both a: a dwarf, and b, killed his mother during childbirth. So give him the poo poo jobs

I don't think you read my post properly.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

When does Gendry show up

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

When does Gendry show up

In the season finale, with massive arms, didn't you read my fanfic?

WampaLord posted:

FADE UP ON WATER OUTSIDE KING'S LANDING

We see nothing at first, just the calm water. From offscreen, we hear the sounds of rowing. Then a boat enters the frame. The rower is Gendry, his arms are now loving massive. Perhaps he is singing a song to himself.

He rows up to land, parks the boat, hops off and looks up at the Red Keep and starts to smile.

SMASH TO CREDITS

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Casterly Rock was the most :effort: castle I've seen on film for ages. Just a flat wall on a flat field, so you can just run up to it with ladders. No overhang? No defensive trench/moat?

Winterfell was like that as well. They go on and on about it being some impregnable fortress and Ramsay is super confident that Jon doesn't have an army that can possibly storm it.

No moat. Wooden gate. 30 foot walls. Ok.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

When does Gendry show up

ep5, hanging out where he's subject to a death sentence if he's discovered

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well in the book Cersei's main problem was that her narcissism led her to surround herself with complete incompetents (while at the same time she got mad that these incompetents were completely unable to do anything). Right now she has Jaime, Euron, and Randall Tarly (plus whatever Reach bannermen aren't defecting).

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Mullitt posted:

She blew up part of the city and killed hundreds (thousands?) of people and basically nobody has even said anything about it since. Seems like a huge event that could have been explored in depth to show how her character might be changed by it, but they're ending the show so that's not gonna happen.
Character development is now to be assumed to have happened offscreen, and the only reason it happens is to get us to the next plot point.

Yeah. I liked the atmosphere during the coronation scene in the S6 finale. I thought it gave off the vibe that Cersei's authority was really dubious and nobody trusted or supported her except Qyburn and Zombie Gregor. Seemed like the start of an interesting dynamic.

After reading the last ep spoilers where Cersei agrees to send help north but secretly wants the white walkers to kill or weaken everyone else, a part of me thinks that Jon & co. will defeat the white walkers, an existential threat to humanity, and then go back to playing more dumb throne games against Cersei, who turns out to be the show's ultimate villain.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cornflakes posted:

Yeah. I liked the atmosphere during the coronation scene in the S6 finale. I thought it gave off the vibe that Cersei's authority was really dubious and nobody trusted or supported her except Qyburn and Zombie Gregor. Seemed like the start of an interesting dynamic.

After reading the last ep spoilers where Cersei agrees to send help north but secretly wants the white walkers to kill or weaken everyone else, a part of me thinks that Jon & co. will defeat the white walkers, an existential threat to humanity, and then go back to playing more dumb throne games against Cersei, who turns out to be the show's ultimate villain.

The White Walkers defeated. Jon Snow limps through the ruins of Kings Landing, dragging Longclaw by his side, now too heavy to wield, carving a trail through the scorched earth. He passes between the burnt out buildings, rock walls melted by dragon fire, determined to finish what he has begun.

From atop the Red Keep, Cersei yells, "Make my Robert Strong GROOOWWWWWW!!!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's three main plots in the show which have been there since the first episode: the Others' coming attack, the Stark vs Lannister feud, and the plans of the Targaryen pretenders to return to absolute power. I'd be very surprised if they wrap up any of those plots entirely before the last episode: they ARE the show and everything else has spun off those three plot arcs and is now being pruned back to focus again on those three plot arcs. Just because this season ends with them sending a joint army north doesn't mean that it's gonna go beat the army of the dead immediately. In fact I think it's entirely likely they will lose at first, or at least fail to win a comprehensive victory right away. Yeah, the show does play up the Lannister vs Stark plotline over the other two (hence the change in title) but you have to assume the showrunners would be bat poo poo crazy to miss the chance for a big all-out fantasy battle in the finale.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Personally the stakes could not be any lower for me in terms of the big fantasy battle being good/bad/anything at all. Have nearly zero emotional interest in the others being defeated and don't really care who dies fighting on the living side.

If they actually do something interesting it will be cool but fantasy media tends to have a big problem with samey endings, even stuff not limited by live action/cgi budgets, plenty of fantasy literature and even video games where they can literally do anything they want and it always ends up being the same poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Honestly having the Others get no-sold and the ultimate, series-ending threat be Lannister treachery and opportunism would at least be a little different than what we're expecting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it won't be the same poo poo because cersei and euron are going to rule forever

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It would be an amusing ending in the same way as it would be amusing if aliens showed up in a space battleship and nuked Westeros and paved it over for a landing strip.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

skasion posted:

It would be an amusing ending in the same way as it would be amusing if aliens showed up in a space battleship and nuked Westeros and paved it over for a landing strip.

And Littlefinger gets to run the airport.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well in the book Cersei's main problem was that her narcissism led her to surround herself with complete incompetents (while at the same time she got mad that these incompetents were completely unable to do anything). Right now she has Jaime, Euron, and Randall Tarly (plus whatever Reach bannermen aren't defecting).

Yea. I get why they can't use the Kettleblacks and why the Kingsguard barely even matter - I doubt most show watchers know what they even are - but it seriously harms her character.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So what's the hot take about the new leaked scripts?

The E4 one seems convincing, I mean, it's a lot of effort to write something so completely mundane if it's just a fake - http://imgur.com/a/oOc8t

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

When does Gendry show up

In either the next episode or the episode after when Davos uses his smuggling skills to get Tyrion and himself into Kings Landing for a secret meeting with Jaime. He stumbles on him working as a blacksmith. He's made himself a big rear end warhammer which he uses to brain a couple of guards that catch them.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This show has become so loving stupid. The fat man was good after all, I guess. Huh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Funky See Funky Do posted:

In either the next episode or the episode after when Davos uses his smuggling skills to get Tyrion and himself into Kings Landing for a secret meeting with Jaime. He stumbles on him working as a blacksmith. He's made himself a big rear end warhammer which he uses to brain a couple of guards that catch them.

I love how Gendry just rowed himself right back to KL to do exactly what he was doing before, and got away with it because Joffrey had the attention span of a gnat and probably forgot about the whole "kill all of Robert's bastards" plan five minutes after ordering it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sydin posted:

I love how Gendry just rowed himself right back to KL to do exactly what he was doing before, and got away with it because Joffrey had the attention span of a gnat and probably forgot about the whole "kill all of Robert's bastards" plan five minutes after ordering it.

IT'S THE LAST PLACE THEY'D LOOK!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I still can't get over what the night king pulls off to get south of the wall it's all so loving perfectly amazing

Jon ruined everything. everything. he's the worst and I'll be glad when he dies again (Ramsay should've killed him the second time )

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So what's the hot take about the new leaked scripts?

The E4 one seems convincing, I mean, it's a lot of effort to write something so completely mundane if it's just a fake - http://imgur.com/a/oOc8t

Covers are pulled off wagons to reveal half a dozen more ballistas. Dany throw Drogon into evasive maneuvers.

I think they're all 100% accurate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah as :black101: as the Night King flying a zombie dragon sounds, it does make one wonder what the hell his plan was without somehow knowing a dragon would fall into his lap. I've not read the books but from what I understand The Wall is in some way magical which keeps the Walkers out and also prevents them from doing obvious poo poo like digging under/sailing around it. So I guess the plan prior to getting the dragon was to just march up to the wall and glare menacingly while Edd made silly faces at him from the lookout?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can see that script being right, but ffs the formatting. Has the person who typed this up ever seen a script before?

Imagine being an actor and having to do extra work to figure out which lines are yours.

e: nvm just noticed it's an outline, but still drat

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Jamie charges at Dany and Drogon. Drogon opens his toothy maw and coils back. No flame, he wants some Lannister tartare.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's not a shooting script like they'd be giving to the actors during production, it's just an outline dated from a ways before production began. Presumably the kind of thing the writers room would be putting together in preparation for the production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't wait to see how useless the dragons will be in an actual battle. By all reason they should be the fantasy equivalent of nukes, but I'm guessing one of them gets sniped with the first shot of that ballista(there will only be that one because props are expensive ok), after which the mortally wounded dragon flies a thousand miles north to die right next to the Night King.

• Locked thread