Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Do the nukes even matter? The north has thousands of hidden artillery cannons all aimed and ready to go at carpeting Seoul in artillery. They could probably lob a few waves of incendiary rounds into the heart of the city and just watch the fireworks.

yes the nukes matter. Their artillery is not capable of hitting seoul like you describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

TheScott2K posted:

People have been saying this poo poo for decades and every crisis ends up getting defused with bags of rice.

This does not seem applicable to the situation we have. Trying to kick the can down the road and with bags of rice was all well and fun but they have jumped quite a bit in capability it seems, so that vague/fuzzy future seems to be attainable within the next 12 months?

TheScott2K posted:

Why is it off the table?
Because it allows the question to be formulated? Are you being daft on purpose or do you just not want to answer the question? You don't have to respond if you don't want to accept the premise of the question. It's just a purely hypothetical question that I have been juggling around in my head.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Enigma89 posted:

Does anyone else think that unless we resolve things peacefully with North Korea, we pretty much have no option but to invade sometime soon? Better now than 2 years from now when they can reliably hit a major city in the US?

Some of us thought that point was 5-10 years ago. It would have "just" been Iraq x10,000 then, not Hiroshima x2. Also, americans note really caring about dead people if they're not (white) 'murican! pisses of US allies.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i honestly believe he will do it or at least try. he wants to be remembered and if he "solves" the korean issue then he will have a legacy. i think he will just start bombing one day or announce it on twitter.

Or he'll order bombing and plan to announce it on Twitter after it starts, but mess up the time zone and tip off the North Koreans fifty minutes before the sorties begin.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

Well that's not really the question I asked. I was asking if military action happens would you prefer it now or later? Later could be with a more competent president but further DPRK missile capabilities or now where the homeland is relatively safe but have Trump at the helm.

Your asking the wrong question. If we have military action at any point we have failed. NK is insane enough that if they are on the losing end they will try to gently caress everyone up even if it annihilates the whole peninsula. Doesn't matter if it happens now or 10 years from now. And that wont be the end of it either, I can't imagine what that will do to our relations with China. I don't think it would trigger apocalyptic nuclear war between them and us but it would be such an unprecedented event who even knows how it will end.

But in short, military action against the NK would be the dumb idea to end all dumb ideas.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BootStrap posted:

You just know that was Chuck Todd.

I will never forget Chuck Todd's face on election night when he realized Trump was winning. He could barely even speak.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Majorian posted:

McGrath looks good to me, but Kentucky is actually exactly the sort of place where a Bernie Sanders platform would do well: lots of working class folks whose communities have suffered from globalization over the past few decades, a popular state health care exchange, a heavy degree of dissatisfaction with Trumpcare, etc. Populism works in places in like Kentucky.

same. she is fine and good and id vote for her, but id prefer a more left leaning/progressive candidate. she isnt as lovely as clinton and has real messages apparently. so i hope she wins.

Enigma89 posted:

Does anyone else think that unless we resolve things peacefully with North Korea, we pretty much have no option but to invade sometime soon? Better now than 2 years from now when they can reliably hit a major city in the US?

This

i sadly think war/conflict is probaly going to happen at some point with north Korea again unless china pushes a internal coup which makes them a slightly better place(more open and "free" like china). there are no good options on the table. you either give them what they want and keep doing that, or bribe them to "be good" with food shiptments and money with long drawn out negotiations that never go anywhere, or gently caress them up and start a war.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Enigma89 posted:

This does not seem applicable to the situation we have. Trying to kick the can down the road and with bags of rice was all well and fun but they have jumped quite a bit in capability it seems, so that vague/fuzzy future seems to be attainable within the next 12 months?

Because it allows the question to be formulated? Are you being daft on purpose or do you just not want to answer the question? You don't have to respond if you don't want to accept the premise of the question. It's just a purely hypothetical question that I have been juggling around in my head.

Why is it necessary to intercede with military action? IMO North Korea's saber rattling is an attempt to get people to pay attention to them, and Trump is dumb enough that he probably believes everything they say as being real.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/press-briefing-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-2

SHuckS live

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKopIUlqHnc

YT Link.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Someone with an art degree tell me what the costume designer is trying to convey through Shucks' wardrobe this season.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Someone with an art degree tell me what the costume designer is trying to convey through Shucks' wardrobe this season.

She has that "Just rescued from the bunker" look.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Or he'll order bombing and plan to announce it on Twitter after it starts, but mess up the time zone and tip off the North Koreans fifty minutes before the sorties begin.

:sad:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

When is the US government expected to hit the debt limit?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Enigma89 posted:

"UN Inspectors are nice and all, but they've got mobile chemical weapons labs in RVs now!"

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

Stairmaster posted:

yes the nukes matter. Their artillery is not capable of hitting seoul like you describe.

North Korean artillery could absolutely hit Seoul.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/5-north-korean-weapons-south-korea-should-fear-14825

"Most of the artillery pieces—numbering in the thousands—are already in place, camouflaged and dug in. Neither the U.S. military nor South Korean forces can hope to eliminate those weapons before they obliterate the city—which by some estimates would take less than two hours. By some estimates, the city could be hit by over half-a-million shells in under an hour."

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Little home on the prairie ruffles but black like she is in mourning. Sounds legit to me.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Every time i hear "all options on the table" i like to think nuclear first strike :black101:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

TheScott2K posted:

"UN Inspectors are nice and all, but they've got mobile chemical weapons labs in RVs now!"

Check my post history but I was against the Iraq war and in most cases against any sort of foreign intervention which is why I was against Bush, Obama and Clinton. Nice try though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Steven Mnuchin is pushing for a clean ceiling increase so maybe he's next on the not loyal chopping block, or maybe because this is something that most people aren't informed about, it's just going to happen

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/01/clean-debt-ceiling-boost-steve-mnuchin-241200

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
man she's hammering hard on "Russia stories are all fake news, Dems are the real colluders they got help from Ukraine!"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
WHATTABOUT

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
"If you want someone who's actually tough on Russia, look no further than Trump"

:allears:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
CLINTON CLINTON CLINTON!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, It's August and NBC has, for the 700th time, insinuated that Trump can finally become the President.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
But Obama! But Hillary!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
With how much they talk about Hillary you would think that she won the election. Jesus christ.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

HAha everyone was "Sarah, what's funny about that?" wrt Trump's "police brutality joke" in a chorus

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"It was a joke!"

"So he was joking about police brutality?"

"GAWD! You keep trying to make up a narrative here! I HAVE THREE KIDS!"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

PhazonLink posted:

Bro, who you calling a turd?

https://i.imgur.com/C3jwFHv.jpg No one cares about this one.

I've said it before but i'll say it again. If Paul Ryan were ever to find himself in a situation where he was homeless and forced to fend entirely for himself then his probable lifespan would be measured in hours. People who have spent extensive amounts of time in a survival situation get a sense for how internally tough an individual is. "I can smell two drops of bitch from up to a mile away" was a favorite expression of one of the guys that I rolled with when I was homeless.

And in this photo set bitchassness is rolling off Ryan in such thick rivulets that on the streets one would likely feel almost obligated on principal to begin his educational process.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 1, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The artillery has always been sufficient deterrent as long as SK is in bed with the US. The nukes mean that SK could fall out of favor with the international community but we still wouldn't gently caress with them. MAD is still quite obviously a thing, though, and it's clear that this is all about letting the good times roll for the Kims, not some armageddon suicide pact. Glassing an island in Hawaii (or some spot in the ocean 50 miles away) is still an international party foul that gives the whole planet (including China, who won't pick NK over the rest of the world) an excuse to pop the zit.

We dont "have to" invade. It's a siege, we just keep right on siege-ing until either a coup or a generational shift gives us someone to work with.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Come on, I need my scandal fix for the day. It's already past noon!

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can clarify, but what is the status of the China/DPRK relationship?

One of the biggest arguments against war I've heard (besides nukes) is the US and China both being drawn into a war neither really wants on opposite sides of the battlefield.

Regardless of it all, diplomacy is definitely the best option. NK doesn't want war. They just want to be left alone to enjoy their dictatorship. Antagonizing the world is what gets them left alone for as long as it has. The Kim's have cultivated the crazy will do anything appearance to perfection.

Just the fact everyone has the conversation of "will they nuke the world?!" Means they accomplished what they wanted with the missile tests. Even more so with someone like Trump sitting on the other side of the negotiating table.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Ahaha are we buying broke rear end Boeings from Russia now? :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"The Trump statement was entirely truthful."
"You were on the plane, do you think it was truthful?"
"I didn't hear. I was on the other side of the plane."

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Holy god please don't gently caress with nk. I hope that there are some sane or at least some isolationist voices in Trump's ear begging him not to.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/892454136108773380

Always fun when Jay Sekulow is directly contradicted

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

This

This is what I think. It's either diplomacy or war now. No way can you do war in 2+ years when NYC/DC/LA/etc could be nuked.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
"Trump has a credibility issue, how does he plan to go about fixing that issue after failing to tell the truth?"

"Well, he's gonna do it by starting to tell the truth, as he has done every single day of this administration"

ekeog posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/892454136108773380

Always fun when Jay Sekulow is directly contradicted

Someone should keep a counter of every time the administration somehow contradicts their own lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Retro42 posted:

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can clarify, but what is the status of the China/DPRK relationship?

One of the biggest arguments against war I've heard (besides nukes) is the US and China both being drawn into a war neither really wants on opposite sides of the battlefield.

Regardless of it all, diplomacy is definitely the best option. NK doesn't want war. They just want to be left alone to enjoy their dictatorship. Antagonizing the world is what gets them left alone for as long as it has. The Kim's have cultivated the crazy will do anything appearance to perfection.

Just the fact everyone has the conversation of "will they nuke the world?!" Means they accomplished what they wanted with the missile tests. Even more so with someone like Trump sitting on the other side of the negotiating table.

I really don't think China is going to declare war on the US if North Korea is invaded. They treat them as an embarrassing poor relation from what I understand, not a staunch ally who must be protected with some kind of equivalent of Article 5. Most likely they'd get really mad, slap some kind of sanctions on the US and harden the border and man their anti-refugee weapons platforms.

• Locked thread