Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this kind of conflict is inevitable when blizzard wants to simultaneously cater to both casual and hardcore market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Casual, Hardcore, I'm the guy maining Hanzo

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

this kind of conflict is inevitable when blizzard wants to simultaneously cater to both casual and hardcore market.

Taking good characters and spontaneously gutting them isn't a thing that's divided strictly down the line between casuals and hardcores is the thing. Making the pool of actually good options smaller is a thing that can and will affect players at all levels of skill and interest.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
The one thing Doomfist can not punch away: a Bastion in turret form.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bumper Stickup posted:

The one thing Doomfist can not punch away: a Bastion in turret form.

You can, however, gently caress that warbling jackass up real good if you get the drop on him. You still get the damage for hitting him but I don't think it counts the wall hit so you just punch and then finish him up with the shotgun.

At least that's what I did to the bastion guarding the ledge over B on Hanamura. Made it up the stairs and he was still firing down at the choke. Punched him and it popped him out of turret form and he bonked into the wall, but not as the damaging hit you get with other heroes. So I just unloaded with the shotgun fist and that worked.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Full disc: I haven't yet but I am prepared to tell on all of you if you bully me with your hero. I'm a casual who forums, I can make this happen.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

IronicDongz posted:

Ideally you design a game with heroes like McCree, Widow, Tracer, Genji or Ana who have extremely high skill ceilings but are very weak at low skill levels and heroes like Bastion, Junkrat, Pharah or Mercy who are strong at low skill investements but scale poorly, either due to relying on misplays like Junkrat (or Roadhog) or having mobility that generally scales poorly against better aiming opponents.

The issue arises when a high-skill hero is so strong that they utterly dominate the competitive scene (pre-nerf Ana). We also get stuff like current Mercy, who has a different skillset than other heroes and so many players that play Mercy at high SR cannot play other heroes at that SR (one-tricks).

The problem is trying to design a game where all 25+ characters are equally valid to both a casual and hardcore audience. Which is probably a bad idea.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

wit posted:

Yeah they can make throwaway accounts at PC Bangs which have a shared license. I can't help but feel they could get around this by requiring valid payment info anyway, or even a phone number.
E: But I don't think that asian players are better because they're cheaty cheatersons, they're probably just better.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

why do the pc bangs get unlimited throwaway accounts? make them responsible for their clientele and just kill whatever license gets abused with so they have to take measures into their own hands and ban cheaters from the bang itself.

wit posted:

I've read a bit on it and you're talking 50-100 PCs in a room. Even if they're not downloading aimbot onto their rent-a-pc they can still throw and troll unless you have someone shoulder surfing every customer. And like, its going to be a room full of teenagers with little adult supervision other than "don't break my poo poo plz sir", you'd just go to the bang across the street that doesn't have a guy staring holes into the back of your head all day. You're going to get a lot of through traffic in those places and it would be like shutting down a library because some poor was being a dick on their computers. Blizzard have just quarantined pc bang licenses to the one server.

I want to clarify this situation a little bit...

In most countries, you only need a valid email address to start an online gaming account (steam / battle.net / etc). In S. Korea, you need a Resident's Registration Number, which is a thirteen digit number that includes your DOB and gender due to their laws stemming from kids gaming too long and internet access and whatnot. Without a valid RRN, you cannot register a new account. This ties in-game and internet activity (in theory) to a single person.

Overwatch at PC Bangs were a site license, so anybody using any of the PC Bang's computers would get to play Overwatch, regardless if their account had purchased the game. Online accounts with some accountability (companies like Nexon will ban via the RRN, so if you gently caress up in one game you can't get into others) usually deters most of the bad behavior. Some kids will use the RRN of siblings that don't game or their parents to get around the one account per RRN requirement. But the problem started when people discovered that they could create new, free battle.net accounts from other regions, and still use the free site license and play Overwatch. That's why there were an influx of laggy Koreans late at night on the America's servers; they would make throwaway accounts from the US region but forget to change their region of play.

Add the fact that PC Bangs usually have one dude in the front to take your money and give you a machine to use, and that's about it. Expecting that one person (who's probably making minimum wage) to watch 50~100 computers at a time is asking for a lot. So self-policing wasn't going to work in this instance. It probably doesn't help that there are a lot of kids/young adults with a lot of free time lately in South Korea due to the economic downturn, seeking out cheap entertainment (and PC Bangs are usually the cheapest of cheap entertainment).

The fix? Blizzard decided that if you wanted to play Overwatch for free at a PC Bang, you must use a Korean battle.net account. Any accounts from any other region would require a purchased license for Overwatch to play, even at the PC Bang. It seems to have worked for the most part!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Got to play Lunar Horizon Colony for the first time just now. My verdict: it's trash and whoever designed it should be fired.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Blue Caboose posted:

Ideally you design a game with heroes like McCree, Widow, Tracer, Genji or Ana who have extremely high skill ceilings but are very weak at low skill levels and heroes like Bastion, Junkrat, Pharah or Mercy who are strong at low skill investements but scale poorly, either due to relying on misplays like Junkrat (or Roadhog) or having mobility that generally scales poorly against better aiming opponents.

The issue arises when a high-skill hero is so strong that they utterly dominate the competitive scene (pre-nerf Ana). We also get stuff like current Mercy, who has a different skillset than other heroes and so many players that play Mercy at high SR cannot play other heroes at that SR (one-tricks).

The problem is trying to design a game where all 25+ characters are equally valid to both a casual and hardcore audience. Which is probably a bad idea.

It's more than just a bad idea, it's impossible because you're always trying to balance individual performance against something that strengthens a team. Strong individual characters might do well in QP but when you get into higher skill levels you end up being overpowered. Characters that produce more through the acts of others tend to be poor in QP because of the pubstove but they do well in comp because you're typically playing more cooperatively.

The repeated fuckery with 76's primary fire was a good example because they were trying to balance the whole hero on the gun DPS via accuracy and per shot damage. Too low and you'd take him out of his intended role. Too high and you had the old bastard constantly carrying at high SR.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bumper Stickup posted:

Got to play Lunar Horizon Colony for the first time just now. My verdict: it's trash and whoever designed it should be fired.

I seem to be the only person on earth who loves horizon. gently caress your chokes and gently caress your stealth, everyone knows where your coming from and how well your defended and the fight is just gonna happen. Just stop them wrecking stuff with your shootmans.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I like the design of horizon but think it's ugly as gently caress. They should also get rid of the loud SHOOMP on the flanking route

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Horizon is like a 2CP map in extremes. The first point is almost always going to get taken by the attackers quickly unless they're completely uncoordinated, then the second point turns into an endless meatgrinder of the defenders throwing bodies onto the point in a big open empty room. Blizzard just tweaked the respawn timer adjustment system working behind the scenes in the latest patch again to try and put a bandaid over a bleeding stump instead of simply admitting that no amount of minor tweaks is actually going to make 2CP a good game mode. A shameful waste of a lunar ape colony.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Kassoon posted:

I like the design of horizon but think it's ugly as gently caress. They should also get rid of the loud SHOOMP on the flanking route

They should also probably fix the Hanzo bug. It technically affects all communication, but Hanzo in particular is a problem.

So you know how you cant hear in game voices outside? This extends to ult callouts. So if Hanzo fires off a spirit dragon from the outside area, the Dragon is completely silent. It's relatively trivial to line it up so that it goes right through a contested objective, particularly if you land a sonic arrow before hand.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

The real reason they didn't make the entire map outside, no one would have known Sombra had been there all along

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kassoon posted:

The real reason they didn't make the entire map outside, no one would have known Sombra had been there all along

Speaking of, Sombra's wheezing when she hits a widow fart is just ghastly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Logically I know that Riptire isn't a very good ult, but god drat if I don't manage to die to it every single time. I mean, part of that is that I usually play supports (and am also a bad), so I'm the one they're gunning for, but it feels like I hear the ult callout, lie low and avoid standing too close to anyone for a bit, think that I hear the detonation, and then turn around and run facefirst into the goddamn tire.

Also--when I'm playing Mercy and have ult charged, should I just not be in the fight or healing at all, and instead just try to hang back to where I can watch everyone die and swoop in?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lord of Hats posted:

Logically I know that Riptire isn't a very good ult, but god drat if I don't manage to die to it every single time. I mean, part of that is that I usually play supports (and am also a bad), so I'm the one they're gunning for, but it feels like I hear the ult callout, lie low and avoid standing too close to anyone for a bit, think that I hear the detonation, and then turn around and run facefirst into the goddamn tire.

Also--when I'm playing Mercy and have ult charged, should I just not be in the fight or healing at all, and instead just try to hang back to where I can watch everyone die and swoop in?

I almost feel like it's a better distraction than attack. Yeah sure it does decent damage to a group if you get the drop but if you draw it out and find ways to keep the enemy focused on where they think you'll come from then that means your team gets free shots at them.

Junkrat would be better served with a mortar as an ult.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

The Lord of Hats posted:

Put your team between JR and you so that you aren't the first juicy target he sees. This basically forces your teammates to Shoot The loving Tire, You Idiots (which they should be doing anyway).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

IMO when your team has the upper hand you generally want to be pushing with them to help keep up momentum. You want to stay far away from anything resembling a fair fight, let alone stick around against enemies that have an advantage in numbers or ults.

I'm a crap Mercy though so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

FAUXTON posted:

I almost feel like it's a better distraction than attack. Yeah sure it does decent damage to a group if you get the drop but if you draw it out and find ways to keep the enemy focused on where they think you'll come from then that means your team gets free shots at them.

Junkrat would be better served with a mortar as an ult.

One of my favorite things to do as Widow is to snipe his tire every goddamn time I see it. It's a relatively easy target, since it has very predictable forwards movement, and Widow oneshots the tire.

On the other hand, the biggest change from the Soldier damage nerf for me was that I keep accidentally only shooting the Junk tire 5 times and then dying to it instead of landing the 6 shots I need. Oops!

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

I had a really hard time with riptires at first because it doesn't have a head so what do you do? Then I realized a simple truth: the entire tire is just one big rolling head.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

please do not tire shame. it's genetic it can't help it

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
honestly if a guy insists on being junkrat i'll ask them to let me know when theyre going to rip tire so i can matrix it with dva like the blizzard suggested we should do

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Dear Blizzard,

Please reduce the cooldown of Doomfist's Combo-Breaker voice line so I can spam C-C-C-Combo Breaker instead of Combo-combo-combo-combo Breaker. TIA.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What the gently caress happened to this game's already bullshit matchmaking? I've played 25+ games across QP and comp over the past week and a half and I haven't been part of a team yet that's stood even a remote chance of winning a match.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I think all the non-toxic people are waiting for the school year to start or have moved on to newer games. I know I've only played like 10 games in the last month.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think that's what I'll do cause this is the worst group of people I've ever experienced since I started playing games online in '98. I've never played a MOBA so maybe this is what those games are always like?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If you've played 25 games and not a single one had been a win, it's likely not the matchmaker that is at fault.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

If you've played 25 games and not gotten a single win it's definitely the matchmaker at fault, the mmr took too long to adjust low enough

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wildtortilla posted:

I think that's what I'll do cause this is the worst group of people I've ever experienced since I started playing games online in '98. I've never played a MOBA so maybe this is what those games are always like?

Are you just playing comp? I can count on one hand the number of toxic players I've run into in QP and mystery heroes since I started playing in June.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's not just comp. I was on a tear from 2100 up to 2299 over a few days and then I started getting poo poo game after poo poo game. This same thing happened to me when I was approaching 2800 back in season 2. Things were great, getting loads of even matches, then I got hammered with poo poo game after poo poo game. Two weeks ago I was having a blast with even game after even game, winning some, losing some, but I was having fun regardless of the out come. Now this bullshit. I've played maybe 10 comp games, each one a total stinker, and have spent the rest of my time in QP which has been equally lovely.

When this happened in season 2 it happened over about 48 hours and I partially blame myself for continuing to play when I got angry, but I wasn't on a single team that stood a chance to win. The same thing started happening over a week ago and I was like, "hey this bullshit again, just chill out for a few days." So I did that, then dipped my toes in comp again and it was just as stupid, took a breather for a few days of QP, dipped back into comp and it's still a train wreck. I played one match this evening and it was a disaster.

I don't understand what happens but anytime I start enjoying this game the match making tanks and sucks out all the fun. It's not like I'm saying, "I lost ten games in a row because my teammates were all idiots and I'm the only competent person playing Overwatch." My teams are totally out matched as in I have gold elims 5 minutes into the match with 1 kill. That's a pretty big failure of a matchmaking system if it let me climb to almost 2300 through dozens of even matches and then suddenly it can't get me into a reasonable match. Oh well, if this game can't get me into matches that make sense for my skill level I'll find something else to do with my time.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
I just want to play the game with people older than 12. I swear everybody in my game is kids chattering the entire game, and talking about how OP Junkrat and Mei are, and how Sombra isn't there for hacking health packs and Winston is a garbage tier hero.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

It's not just comp. I was on a tear from 2100 up to 2299 over a few days and then I started getting poo poo game after poo poo game. This same thing happened to me when I was approaching 2800 back in season 2. Things were great, getting loads of even matches, then I got hammered with poo poo game after poo poo game. Two weeks ago I was having a blast with even game after even game, winning some, losing some, but I was having fun regardless of the out come. Now this bullshit. I've played maybe 10 comp games, each one a total stinker, and have spent the rest of my time in QP which has been equally lovely.

When this happened in season 2 it happened over about 48 hours and I partially blame myself for continuing to play when I got angry, but I wasn't on a single team that stood a chance to win. The same thing started happening over a week ago and I was like, "hey this bullshit again, just chill out for a few days." So I did that, then dipped my toes in comp again and it was just as stupid, took a breather for a few days of QP, dipped back into comp and it's still a train wreck. I played one match this evening and it was a disaster.

I don't understand what happens but anytime I start enjoying this game the match making tanks and sucks out all the fun. It's not like I'm saying, "I lost ten games in a row because my teammates were all idiots and I'm the only competent person playing Overwatch." My teams are totally out matched as in I have gold elims 5 minutes into the match with 1 kill. That's a pretty big failure of a matchmaking system if it let me climb to almost 2300 through dozens of even matches and then suddenly it can't get me into a reasonable match. Oh well, if this game can't get me into matches that make sense for my skill level I'll find something else to do with my time.

the conspiracy theory is that when you begin winning games it purposely gives you very poorly matched games based on MMR

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ignore me

AceClown fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 2, 2017

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the conspiracy theory is that when you begin winning games it purposely gives you very poorly matched games based on MMR

I've seen silvers and diamonds matched up against each other in QP so I don't think it tries very hard. This has been a blizzard matchmaker cliche since like 2002.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kassoon posted:

I've seen silvers and diamonds matched up against each other in QP so I don't think it tries very hard. This has been a blizzard matchmaker cliche since like 2002.
I think that's why they removed the SR mouseover. I used to complain loudly in allied chat about how unfair it was there was a diamond on their team (which was in fact a stomp 80% of the time). I do think the Blizz matchmaker generates more hopeless games on purpose than by random chance, but I also think they have data that backs up that this approach is correct (in terms of casual player satisfaction/retention). I don't think I have nearly as many loss streaks as a random walk would arrive at over a few hundred games.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The thing about QP is that a player's comp rank doesn't necessarily correlate to their QP performance, and their performance game to game can vary wildly because it's the practice/gently caress around mode. Maybe someone is a great Winston in comp but they spend their QP games missing every shot on Widowmaker (except for when they randomly decide to go Winston and stomp everyone).

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BIG FAN of people joining the Doomfist elimination playlist and just going afk for free wins.

e: whoops, thought this was the :qq: thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPs__eUvtvU

Summer Games are starting next week on Aug 8th.

Last year's event items as well as new ones will be available for purchase with coins.
New skins mentioned (probably amongst others to be included) are for Mercy ("best yet" according to JK), McCree, Widow, Junkrat.

The prices of last year's event items will not be inflated.

Lucioball with get a comp setting.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 2, 2017